Off The Grid (916)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skydiver
    yet another example of tell instead of show.

thre's been a lot of that lately. such as sam rigging the stargate

they keep telling us that things happen but persist in not showing it
    No, that is not an example of tell and not show. ANd how is Sam rigging the Stargate "telling instead of showing"? Telling is when they tell us what happened without showing us. With freeing Mitchell, they never told us how they did it, they just showed the result -- that he was free. Same with Sam rigging the Stargate. She said she had an idea, and then we saw the result. Neither of these things bothered me.

Comment

Originally posted by binkpmmc
      Oh right - there's another question I had - I asked myself as they ran through the woods - how did THAT happen? Same question I asked last week when we went from Daniel and Jared in the Commissary to Daniel and Jared in a jail cell on the planet - pretty neat tricks. Oh yeah we're supposed to make that up ourselves and just go with it - right. forgot. sorry. I'll remember that for next week when we get the same type of crappy writing, editing, directing (maybe they should pay us instead of the writers since we now have to imagine so much of what has supposedly happened).

It is becoming painfully clear that when the actors, directors, writers, etc., say they do not watch the finished, as aired epsiodes, they are not lying. They probably have no clue how stupid some of this stuff looks and plays out.
      They did this same thing with Ford in The Hive. Its a cheap out for the writer. Basically the writer has no logical way to get the character out of spot A and into spot B so they go away and come back and the character is magially in spot B with everything left to the viewers imagination.

J. Michael Straczynski mentioned this type of cheap way out in one of the B5 commentaries when he did this sort of thing for one of his characters. He didnt really have a way for the character to get out of the situation but knew where he wanted him to end up so..... cut to another scene, come back and WaLa the character is where he needed to be.
      Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by lax god
        Did you not get the premise that they were supposed to be traders/mercs. If they would have walked in there with sgc issue black or olive drab uniforms and p90s they would have been spotted as tauri right away. So they had to use more exotic weapons.

I think it was a pretty good ep. It got the team together for a good portion of the ep. It was also a good non ori ep. and it made the lucian alliance more of a threat (maybe for s10).
        I'm not saying they had to wear SGC outfits, but what they were wearing wasn't necessary.

And the guns had nothing to do with being undercover because we see Teal'c and Daniel using them again when they were on Ba'al's ship.

Comment

it was alright.

nothing horrible, but nothing great.

i liked seeing nerus, and his and landry's scenes were funny and well acted.

the L... L-something alliance were just thugs. the scenes where they were beating up sg1 were... not scarey. might have been more threatening if mitchell would have cut out his one-liners long enough.

mitchell is sure a big hero, isn't he? is a person that's not afraid to die a hero, or just insane?

i 'did' like, though, the cute little argument on who was the most drug dealer looking. sam as mary poppins!

at the end, when sg1 come through the stargate and mitchell is all gung ho, i liked the difference between his 'wow, isn't this great!' to sam and daniel's 'i'm taking a shower' and 'i'm going to see a doctor'. i think sam and daniel have been through enough that maybe they're... just getting sick of it? but it was interesting to see the difference. hmmm... might be foreshadowing perhaps?

so, on a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being best; i'll give it a 5. some fun scenes, but over all, i feel like i've eaten a meal of celery.

sally
          sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by binkpmmc
            Oh right - there's another question I had - I asked myself as they ran through the woods - how did THAT happen? Same question I asked last week when we went from Daniel and Jared in the Commissary to Daniel and Jared in a jail cell on the planet - pretty neat tricks. Oh yeah we're supposed to make that up ourselves and just go with it - right. forgot. sorry. I'll remember that for next week when we get the same type of crappy writing, editing, directing (maybe they should pay us instead of the writers since we now have to imagine so much of what has supposedly happened).

It is becoming painfully clear that when the actors, directors, writers, etc., say they do not watch the finished, as aired epsiodes, they are not lying. They probably have no clue how stupid some of this stuff looks and plays out.
            Maybe they did shoot it originaly but got strapped for time and had to lose it in the final cut.

Comment

Originally posted by JUNIOR
              Maybe they did shoot it originaly but got strapped for time and had to lose it in the final cut.
              If that was true why did they show the same scene twice?
              Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by randy
                Wrong usage of deus ex machina.
                No its not, the modern definition of a deus ex machina is a plot device that appears out of no where and does not follow logic as a conveniant plot solution.

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan
                  i was so writing that...well...something like that...as in i share the thought.
                  "Yeah Sir, we can't call it the Enterprise."
                  "Why not?"
                  "The codename for the project is Prometheus. What's wrong with that?"
                  NOTHING!

Comment

Originally posted by JUNIOR
                    valid point - maybe they did. Perhaps though, if that was the case, we could have used less of the nonsubstantive nonsense from Mitchell in the briefing room and what foods his grandmother makes and could have actually been shown something SUBSTANTIVE to the story?

Comment

oh right - that too.

Comment

The final 15 minutes felt like Stargate SG-1, otherwise .

Would someone please put Col Good Ole Boy out of my misery? And Genl Blowhard can take a hike, too. I hear P3W-451 is nice this time of year.

Comment

The writers have been watching too much BSG.

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                            at the end, when sg1 come through the stargate and mitchell is all gung ho, i liked the difference between his 'wow, isn't this great!' to sam and daniel's 'i'm taking a shower' and 'i'm going to see a doctor'. i think sam and daniel have been through enough that maybe they're... just getting sick of it? but it was interesting to see the difference. hmmm... might be foreshadowing perhaps?

sally
                            Interesting point...I didn't think of that at all until you posted...

Thank you for 10 years of Sam Carter, Amanda Tapping!
                            My LJ "I Live in a Sci-Fi World"
                            My Stargate (Mostly Sam Carter) Icons
                            My Stargate Videos
                            It's meant to be!

Comment

Originally posted by spg_1983
                              No its not, the modern definition of a deus ex machina is a plot device that appears out of no where and does not follow logic as a conveniant plot solution.
                              Again, wrong usage, read my post. He proferred when Odyssey became the new ship of Earth that it was construed as an analog to Daedalus of Atlantis. Now, how exactly is that a deus ex machina? It's only logical that the Ori satelite would suffice in power and give an unduly inclination to the destruction of the Prometheus when fired upon. Thus, a new ship would become the surrogate in its wake. Nothing there suggests otherwise.
                              Last edited by randy; 10 February 2006, 09:23 PM.

Comment

I have a question. I wasnt really paying attention when it happened because I was on the phone, but didnt Landry say something about sending Nerus through the stargate to a Black Hole yet in a couple scenes later, Nerus is alive and as large as ever. Maybe the black hole could not consume his girth and spit him back out. Otherwise I heard completely wrong.

Uber Hax does Stargate (YTMND)

Comment

Working...
                                X