Off The Grid (916)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cafine_us
    I was sad to see Nerus killed. Ok, well I didn't see it, but we knew Ba'al killed him off screen. Nerus, while technically evil, being a Goa'uld and all, was more comic relief and less scary nemesis. I'll miss him.

I have the opposite reaction. If he's reallly dead, I'm cheering more than I was when Prometheus go boom! Nerus was stupid. Bye, bye, fool!
    I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

Originally posted by Dani347
      I have the opposite reaction. If he's reallly dead, I'm cheering more than I was when Prometheus go boom! Nerus was stupid. Bye, bye, fool!
      or as Landry says.

Putz.
      Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

I looooved the episode. And I actually liked Mitchell a bit more this one. Yeah, I haven't really liked him much at all and I don't suddenly adore him now, but I laughed at his "space corn" line. I thought he was a total moron when he explained that he was going to go off by himself against the mission's objective. Sam looked totally "hawt" in those clothes. I wish I had clothes like that... and a suitable place to wear them.

Cool story, lots of funny moments, lots of good teamwork. That rocked when the four of them stood up near the end and fired together. Geez. I'm turning into a fawning fangirl now.

It'd be cool if the ancients suddenly came down and berated everyone for messing with their precious gate network.

I do miss Jack, though. ; _ ;

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan
          or as Landry says.

Putz.

That works.

You know, the thing that bothers me the most about the episode isn't anyone's behavior, or plot inconsistancies. Heck, I never even noticed the amount of time SG1 was supposed to be captured. What bothers me is that I felt that they tried for two different tones in the episode. The first part was comedy. The whole corn thing, the banter, maybe even the fact that they didn't act like they had been tied up for days, and Nerus, of course. It wasn't meant to be taken seriously. (That's not to say that it was wrong for anyone to be bothered because of that) But, Ba'al trying to regain his power belonged in a serious episode. Not a comedy that snuck in some seriousness. I don't know if the episode would have been better if the whole plot had been about the corn (some of their funny episodes are funny, some are stupid) but I think it would have meshed together and made more sense if it was. Or, if it had been a serious episode all about Ba'al.
          I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
            I swear, you and I share a brain sometimes. I think I disagree with you a scant 1 or 2% of the time but with this review...seriously...stop reading my thoughts.

I can only add a couple of things. Firstly...TWO DAYS??? I thought they had been there for a few hours...tops. Their faces were a bit bruised but they certainly didn't look like 2 days worth of beatings had occurred, unless they were hit once every 8 hours or so. But then, that would explain why they all were sitting straight up, not tired at all, and amazingly in the exact same position. For 2 days. Without eating or relieving themselves or sleeping. For 2 days. And again, I look at Sam and she exudes the calm leadership traits I'd expect in, you know, a leader. I also have to wonder if the same thoughts crossing my mind are crossing hers...which is, why on earth is Mitchell even here? They can get themselves in and out of trouble quite nicely, thank you very much, without having to worry about the "new guy"...Mr. "I thought it was a light switch"...constantly making things even worse.

So they're supposed to stay low and their "leader" instead poses as a dealer of hinky corn and gets himself and the others in trouble. And they trusted him and his idea...WHY? When has he ever displayed any kind of real leadership abilities with regard to formulating a strategy on a mission such as this? Hopefully, this taught the others that he should NEVER be allowed to suggest anything again...ever...as his first real plan (which kinda completely ignored the whole "keeping a low profile" thing) had them lined up for execution. I had hoped they'd learn from Stronghold that his impetuousness and failure to learn from his mistakes would get them all into trouble. So, why again do they trust him for anything?

Seriously. I really want to know. Why on earth do they have any trust in this guy? At all? Why on EARTH is he allowed to continue to serve on the team in any capacity? At least when things go wrong when Sam's leading, it's a result of a wrench thrown into a typically well thought out plan. With Mitchell...well, he just flies by the seat of his pants. And for anyone who says that Jack did too, may I remind you that Jack was black ops with TONS of experience on the ground and therefore had the instincts to go with his gut. Mitchell? Not so much. But we do know he has a terrible wit full of cheesy one-liners that fall way flat, that he's impetuous to a serious fault, that he never seems to learn from his mistakes and doesn't seem to mind putting his team in danger with one of his hair-brained schemes. Ever. So I say again...why on EARTH do they trust him? He should be transferred back to flying jets and F302s and stay the heck away from all things round and kawooshing.

The other thing I'd like to add is: Death to ALL Shaft-isms! His need to crack bad one-liners is groanworthy. I had hoped Ethon (where I didn't feel like throwing things at the tv during his scenes for once) was the beginning of the tide turning to give a more meaningful role for the character. He didn't "not fit" as much as usual...and for the briefest of moments, I had hope. Sadly, Off the Grid proved me wrong and I'm back to strongly disliking the character. Seriously...I've never disliked a character as much as I dislike him and that's saying something.

In other words, Mitchell is seriously killing the show for me too...and frankly I would have preferred it if Sam had smacked him in the back of the head for the Marry Poppins crack and then say "Well that was refreshing" a la First Commandment. Mary Poppins???? She's been a Tok'ra, tortured, been to hell, died, resurrected, blown up a sun and killed gods. Mary Poppins indeed.

But then again she does make a mean souffle...so there's that.

Man do I miss Jack.
            Between Golfbooy and Über"s most excellent posts they have pretty much covered the ep for me - so many good points made by both of you that I had not made in my earlier post that I so agree with 100%. I esepcially agree that Mitchell is runing the show for me as well - tool, tool, tool and a very bad one at that -- geesh I wish TPTB would get their heads out of their arses -- they have had them up there a long time now and it really is time for them to get back to reality now and fix this show.

Comment

Originally posted by Zoser
              Now here I have to disagree. The woman who first walked into the briefing room 8 or 9 years ago would not have put up with that. She should not now.
              I think the "Mary Poppins" comment was Mitchell's way of saying Carter looks much too wholesome to pass as a smuggler.

Because, you know, Mary Poppins can actually kick major ass.

What did you think Mitchell's reference meant?
              To Infinity And Beyond!

O'Neill: "Do we know this... shrub?"

Comment

Man, I loved this ep. Poor, poor Nerus - I shall miss him. This one had everything - comedy, action, and awesome teamwork. Definitely a great combination for SG-1. And as always, it's nice to see our boy Ba'al again (all of them ) . I wonder how many of him survived the explosion?
                sigpic
                MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                "...phu...ah..."
                "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Wow I'm kind of depressed after reading some of the posts on this thread. I guess Season 10 will be the last season for SG-1, and I'll have to actually go spend money on entertainment on Fridays.

Come on guys it wasn't that bad. I guess it was nice to get three years of quaility Sci-fi on Fridays. SG-1 We'll miss ya when you're gone.

P.S. I also like Enterprise and look where that got me.

Comment

Originally posted by Amanda Eros
                    Me too. Sam went from being Dorathy to Mary Poppins. I just think that he called her that because he's never seen her in hand to hand combat. Though it has been eight or nine years since we've seen it too. She's more of a Bat girl or Princess Leigha.
                    I think that the Sam in season 1 wanted to prove that she could do the job as well as anyone else man or woman, but I think over the years had become more comfortable in her role in the SGC because she has proven time and time again that she is a leader and is one of the most respected leaders at the SGC. I don't think Mitchell called her that because he personally thinks she’s weak are anything but come on!! If any of those Alien drug dealer saw her sweet, innocent face they probably wouldn't have taken her seriously she'd probably have to kick some alien drug dealer a** just to show them that maybe she was a drug dealer, and then they probably would have tried to kill her for beating up all their men. I think that her and Mitchell have been friends for a while and that she knows he’s not being sexist or disrespectful he’s just being Mitchell and calling it how he sees it. The only one that could have passed as an intergalactic drug dealer would be Teal'c.

Comment

"But I'm interesting!"

Man I LOVED Nerus! One of the best characters (and actors) in Stargate history! You just know he's not dead (no body).

Seeing Ba'al was unexpected. I thought Sci-fi had f-up again when they wrote their short synopsis. I thought they mistakenly described Stronghold. Boy was I wrong!

I did not like the new captain guy. Not a good actor at all. Why not bring Ronson (?) back?

Did anyone catch the tiny reference to Farscape with Daniel's "Don't say Bad Timing!"? I thought that was cute.

Overall, this episode was solid, but not exceptional like Ethon. 3.5/5.

Originally posted by spg_1983

Same problems as Antartica, they would have to completely build the facilities to proccess the raw materials and fabricate the parts and all of the tech stuff has to pass through the SGC creating a bottle neck
                      What about the Alpha, Beta, and that apparent
                      Spoiler:
                      Gamma site
                      ? Also, we DO NOT have to use the Stargate for transport, not since we got the Prommie.

They havn't. My point was that it takes 4 years to build an Nimitz-class aircraft carrier with the full unclassified support of the government and private contractors and fabrication facilities.
                      True, but we have the advantage of having Alien tech on our side. I'm sure they're more efficient than...whatever normal people use.

How big is a Nimitz class ship compared to the Deddy and Prommie anyway?

Originally posted by Dani347
                      I agree. Disgusting.
                      I think that was the point.

Comment

Originally posted by scarimor
                        I was hoping Sam would punch him for the Mary Poppins crack. Yeah it was funny... but seeing Cam sprawl would've been even funnier.
                        Your right that would have been funny to see Sam punch the hell out of Mitchell, and while he’s on the ground She would say “do I seem like a drug dealer now?” then Mitchell would say “more like a fifth grade bully” and then Daniel would say to Teal’c "I guess Poppins was a fair description" and Teal’c would say “indeed” then they would help Mitchell off the ground while Sam goes and posses as the drug dealer. That would have been funny too in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by x_sid
                          Wow I'm kind of depressed after reading some of the posts on this thread. I guess Season 10 will be the last season for SG-1, and I'll have to actually go spend money on entertainment on Fridays.

Come on guys it wasn't that bad. I guess it was nice to get three years of quaility Sci-fi on Fridays. SG-1 We'll miss ya when you're gone.

P.S. I also like Enterprise and look where that got me.
                          Just because a fair number of people on this forum didn't like the episode doesn't mean that the episode was crap and next season will be the last. The truth is that the people on this post represent a small part of the actual SG fan base and just because they didn't like it doesn’t mean that everyone else didn't as well. No matter what episode it is you’re always going to have people that don't like that particular episode and doom sayers that basically say "This show sucks now, I'm not going to watch it anymore." or "If this show keeps going in the direction that it’s going in then it won't be on the air next season." People have been saying that since the show began so I'm not going to take much of that type of talk at face value unless TPTB say that it will be the last season, and I don't think you or anyone else should either.

P.S. don’t be so depressed

Comment

Originally posted by HirogenGater
                            Did you see the episode? SG-1 was together for 90% of it.
                            Just because they were together 90% of the time does not mean they worked together as a team. I saw OTT Mitchell defy orders, get the team in trouble, make a derogatory remark to Sam, captured, tortured (or what was supposed to be torture) and then act like a little kid thinking it was fun at the end.

Yeah, great team episode.

Comment

I liked the episode and unlike most of the folks who've posted Cam cracks me up with the wisecracks. And, I don't think they're giving him Jack's lines - I've read that comment quite a bit also and I just don't see if that way.

I have all available seasons of Stargate on DVD and this season on Tivo - they've all been watched numerous times and though I was missing some of the 'action' in this new team I feel TPTB gave us some of that in this episode. I've watched a lot of commentary that showed that RDA loved all the action and shoot 'em up scenes as if he were a little kid in a candy store. They've spent a lot of time on character development this season and on the Ori and Jaffa Nation but I think as the season progresses we will see more of what we've come to know and love. (Of course there are still those who won't be happy because RDA is gone and cannot be replaced. TPTB haven't tried to replace him with a clone and I for one appreciate that fact).

I don't get the whole Lucien Alliance thing - they're a bunch of thugs - yeah whatever.

And yep - I totally caught the whole "Don't say bad timing" thing between Daniel and Cam. Too funny. (For those who've never watched Farscape, this was the title of the last regular episode and a running thing throughout the series - bad plans, rotten timing.)

I'm still a fan and always will be. Nitpicking the details of the show isn't my way - I mean the whole wormholes between two stargates is the main premise of the show and if I can accept that, I can handle the little discrepancies.

Oh - almost forgot. I loved Ba'al's face when he tells Nerus he's history... just the little nod to tell him 'sorry, you're toast' - I love the way Cliff portrays this character and *so* appreciate how well they've developed him.

Comment

Wow... suddenly anything remotely resembling jeopardy in the show disappeared. Teleporters take all the fun outa the show, and all the Baal clones mean that fan's don't have to worry whenever he dies because they know that he has more hiding somewhere. This sucks. It was also disturbing to see that the military was willing to let an evil genius free on the chance that he's 1: going to go back to Baal after leaving him for the Ori and 2: not going to take a dump before doing so.

Other than that it was an awesome show. Lots of fun to watch. Nice to know that the new ship isn't uber-powerful (or even capable of taking out 1 goa'uld ship yet).

Comment

Working...
                                X