Ethon (915)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Redwall
    Wow, this was actually quite a nice episode.

The only thing that really bothered me was the EMP explanation. I thought the Caladonians had nukes -- why not just use the EMP from detonating one of them in the upper atmosphere? That would have provided an interesting character moment given Mitchell's hate for them. (Of course, a nuke may have pissed the Rands off enough to make them not consider a deal...)
    Daniel was on the planet though, nukes wouldn't have been the best choice. Besides, Mitchell doesn't like nukes (Beach Head)

Comment

I like the ep - the scene where Prommie blows up was pretty fantastic.

I think the satellite penetrated the Prommie's shield through sabotage. Do you remember that blonde-haired Captain, the one who was helping Carter with the naquadah generator? He acted really strange when he and Carter were going the engine room - he was trying to get to the elevator, and Carter told him to come back because it wasn't working. "Oh yeah, I don't know what I was thinking." It could be just nerves - he's not used to the Prommie getting blown up - but he may have been trying to get away.

Also, now that Rand and Caledonia are destroyed - what happened to the satellite?!?! Who has it?

Comment

Originally posted by darman
        My question is why did they focus so much on that one crew member that was helping out Carter? Usually those guys just nod and do whatever they're told. They made it seem like he's someone significant. Is he going to have an important role to play in the future?
        I'm glad you notice that,too! I think you're right, there's something fishy with him. He was on the bridge when the Prommie got h it, and I think he compromised the shields.

Comment

Originally posted by doombringer333
          I'm glad you notice that,too! I think you're right, there's something fishy with him. He was on the bridge when the Prommie got h it, and I think he compromised the shields.
          Spoiler:
          Marks becomes the helmsman of the Odyssey. I think they were just showing fear.

Comment

Did anybody else notice the cross between the usual steady cam and the Firefly-esque "shaky cam" in this episode. It felt to me like I was watching a documentary. Nice change of style.

There's only us,
            There's only this
            Forget regret, or life is yours to miss
            No other road,
            No other way
            No day but today...

Comment

Overall I enjoyed this episode - Pendergast

This episode held my interest better than some have this season. I do like it when they blow things up.
              My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

I bet Thor got a nasty message on his answering machine about the so called great Asguard Shields.

Was it really nessacary for the captain to go down with his ship? I mean who was going to get his distress signal? Plus they no where they went already....

PS. The guy helping Cater looks like a spy/sabatour to me.

Comment

Meh. I wish they had never thought of the Ori. I wish they'd create a big weapon, get rid of them all, and find another kind of villian. I hate the Ori. At least let them and their duped followers stick to terms like enlightenment instead of salvation.

I hate ships. The space kind. I don't care one bit that the Prometheus blew up. Big flipping deal. And, it seems -to me- that danger on a ship with all the fast running around and blasts and explosions and bright lights just doesn't have the same dramatic impact as when someone is in a storyline that doesn't involve special effects. And, I'm afraid I wasn't connected to Pendergast, so the loss of him didn't have the same effect on me that it had on some others.

They certainly didn't manage to do what they did in Collateral Damage or Stronghold for me. Hardly any scenes with Daniel in CD, but it had the effect of him and Teal'c doing something to help Mitchell. And, of course, I thought Stronghold gave Daniel some very Daniel-like stuff to do, and stuff that isn't usually referenced as part of his role (to ask questions) but is as much a part as a lot of other stuff. But, this one, I was composing my post about how they spent more time showing the guest stars by themselves instead of him. But, I looked back and it wasn't true. Only two scenes where they had the Ran(d) (I don't know if the name has a 'd' on the end or not) leaders without him there. But, for some reason, even thought he had more scenes, and I was told that he had been trying to convince them, I didn't get the impression of him being really active.

And, was this the episode where Daniel was supposed to have turned against his teammates? *lets out derisive shriek of laughter* What I saw was Daniel suggesting a solution and the duped leader going back on it. In no way did they make it appear that Daniel had betrayed everyone, or had turned to join the Ori or anything like that. Which might have been interesting. Having him seem to and having the others know that he wouldn't, and wonder if he had been compromised. Maybe wonder if they would need to kill him to protect everyone, and them having angst about that.

The least they could have done is have SG1 think he was missing and react appropriately.

The moments I like in an episode (the character moments, the ones that don't have to be shared with ship blowing up) were few here. Daniel's shock after seeing the Prometheus blow up, because he thought SG1 was there, Teal'c and Mitchell being happy to see Sam alive, Daniel sitting in the cell, head bowed, looking like he was in shock and couldn't even continue to try and convince the other leader guy (I don't even know the names of these people. That says something) that they should listen to them, until near the end of the scene. He looked so lost. I can only assume him retrying to work out a solution was because he wanted to make their deaths (that he presumed) count for something and to keep his mind off of it. And, the last scene between Daniel and Mitchell.

It didn't move me. Certainly (imo) there was no sign of anyone taking over the episode, but on the other hand, none of them really seemed to do anything at all. Like I said, to me, any story set on a ship blowing up, the ship comes off as the star, rather than the characters. I didn't feel like I was really watching Daniel do anything on the planet, although I guess I was supposed to.

So, to sum up. Prometheus blows up. Daniel stuck in jail. That's Ethon. And, I can see, as of right now (who knows how many more posts have come after this) I'm alone about not thinking this was wonderful or even half as good as the last episodes.
                  I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

Originally posted by Dani347
                    And, was this the episode where Daniel was supposed to have turned against his teammates? *lets out derisive shriek of laughter* What I saw was Daniel suggesting a solution and the duped leader going back on it. In no way did they make it appear that Daniel had betrayed everyone, or had turned to join the Ori or anything like that. Which might have been interesting. Having him seem to and having the others know that he wouldn't, and wonder if he had been compromised. Maybe wonder if they would need to kill him to protect everyone, and them having angst about that.
                    OPh yeah, one tv guide description said that. I was like, huh, where? Geez, who writes these descriptions??

Comment

good episode overall, and since (from the spoilers on the site, at least) it seems that season 9 is really gonna start picking up on the ori invasion and will have plenty of fights to come, this is a good episode to show how powerful the ori are. i mean, if the asgard shields don't work, we're screwed in the space battles. of course, they'll find a way to modify the shields to work against it, they always do .

i don't mind so much that prommie was lost, casualties happen in war, but it was wasted. i mean, what DID they accomplish on that planet? the destruction of two civilizations? finding out that the most advanced defense technology they have doesn't work? losing a capital ship along with half it's crew (didn't listen closly enough to get exact losses, but half seems about right)? kinda a lost battle there overall

Comment

The EM pulse thing knocking out the town reminded me of Ocean's 11 and Basher's bomb thingy haha.

Sam and Cam are really friendly aren't they?

Loved this episode!!!! Definitely an on the edge of your seat episode.

Comment

Originally posted by Erin
                          The EM pulse thing knocking out the town reminded me of Ocean's 11 and Basher's bomb thingy haha.

Sam and Cam are really friendly aren't they?

Loved this episode!!!! Definitely an on the edge of your seat episode.
                          Just like Brother and sister ... yes
                          Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

i was going to say just like anyone reacting to seeing a friend that they thought had died in an explosion. Teal'c didn't exactly yawn and say "who cares" when he saw Sam, either.
                            I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

So, I guess Rand and Caledonia are no more after this one. Seems like a bit of a copout though after the final scenes on the planet, felt a little too deus ex machina-ish for me.

RIP Prometheus, Lionel Pendergast, and Leda Kane (everyone forgot about her didn't they?) you will be missed.

Dang, and to think all they needed to do was blast the satellite as soon as they got there.

They needed Daedalus there. Hermiod could've beamed a nuke into that thing and saved their butts.

Comment

"And so Prometheus was punished by the gods for bringing Fire to the mortals, and was chained to the mountainside and was visited every day by the Eagle Ethon, sent by Hera, who gnawed at his liver every day. And every day his body regenerated itself so that he lived in unending torture..."

This was a teriffic episode. Definitely better than Icon (which I did enjoy, by the way). I liked the fact that they're introducing the fact that the Ori and the Priors are going beyond the typical turn now or die. The fact that they can teach a race who has just suffeciently advanced enough technology to actually make a higher technological weapon is pretty disturbing.

I liked the part that Daniel had to play in it, even though he didn't see any 'action', per se. Kinda missed Landry, but at least they explained where he was. A shame about the guy's wife. I really liked her. I liked all the team interaction in this one, actually.

Excellent battle sequences. The Prometheus getting pummeled kinda tugged at me, particularly when Pentergast went down with the ship. Phenomenal visual effects.

I could go on, but what could I say that either has not already been said or shall be said? Overall, an episode that far exceeded my expectations. I give this another five out of five stars. So far, Season nine is proving very strong!!
                                Yes, I really do look like (a younger) Daniel. Don't believe me? Look for yourself.

Hey, Mitchell! You want a turn?

Comment

Working...
                                X