No announcement yet.

Ethon (915)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm pretty sure that there are still some Rand people left. During "Ethon" the Caledonian Minister said that the bunker where the satellite is controlled from was too deep for their missiles to reach.

Comment

Well, everyone should definately gain varying degrees of humility.

They won't, of course. Daniel will still be overly-trusting and optomistic and everyone (including Sam herself) will continue to think that Sam is infallable. As much as Daniel's optimism is a character trait, it's also his biggest flaw and has gotten him in the most trouble. Ditto with Sam's intelligence.

And I'm fine with pointing these out as flaws and being critical of them, because that's what makes these characters believable people that could exist in the real world. If everyone on this show were perfect, if Daniel's trusting nature never got him in trouble, if Sam was always right... the show would be boring.

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man
        I'm sure they did learn a lesson. Shoot first, ask questions later.
        I agree with this one. Yes, in another year another satellite weapon could have been built, but when you consider how many times earth has come so close to being wiped out, or how many times the self destruct device has been activated and deactivated with seconds to spare, a year is a long time to ponder any actions that were or were not taken. The satellite should have been taken out while it was still vulnerable. It would have most likely brought both sides back to the bargaining table with compromises on both sides that were at least realistic. Of course that last part is sheer speculation...

"We'll keep the light on for you."

Comment

Too deep for caledonians missiles to reach maybe, how bout using the daedalus to beam a bomb into the bunker? or slightly less murderous, a sedative gas? i really dont get why the prommie didnt do this the instant they got there...
          Don't put jam on a magnet

my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle

Comment

Ok, i've had enought of pathetic whiney b***ards who whine on and on about OMG, blowing up promethius was a bad move. or WHy didn't they let it live. the fact is THE PROMETHEUS IS GONE NOW, AND THERE IS NOTHING YOU CAN DO SO GET OVER IT. You don't like it fine but you go and rant at tptb about it, coz i couldn't care less about you thinking it shouldn't have been blown up. What about that wraith ship in the seige part one, i bet you were all like You can't blow up that wraith hive ship, its a bad idea. etc. I know im not the only person here who thinks this, but its gone, and it was nessicary for development of the show, and the fact is, they will get the oddesy in 2 episodes, so we ouldn't be seeing the prometheus anyway because the oddessy will take over the role of main ship.

You don't like it tough sh*t, cry all you want, whine all you want, because its gone and thats it. There is nothing you can do. Infact go and make a thread called Ethon, screw ups etc.. Its gone and thats that. There is nothing you can do.

Joe Mallozzi: "Like my grandmother used to say: Whenever a gate closes, a hyperspace window opens…"

Comment

Originally posted by Auralis
              Yes, the lost of the prmmi had nothing to do with the satelite been powerfull.
              The total incompetenz of everyone is the fault.
              They should have fired directly at the satellite, they should have jumped back to hyper. They did not even moved after the missiles went splat.
              They should have fired directly after coming out of hyperspace, then after the missles went splat, they should have imediatly start moving tangential away from the staetlite, and back to hyper, while keeping firing with missle, set the detonate prior to impact.
              Maybe the prommy would have went down to, but then because the satellite is ueber, not because of incompetenz.

Yes there should be an formal inquiere about the mission, and normaly those people would not set foot again in anything responsible again on a ship.
              We can't just run and hide every time one of our ships goes up against something with shields.

Best Stargate quote:
              Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
              Green is your friend.

Comment

So we now have the blueprints of that satellite weapon from the Caledonians, right?
                Build 'em!
                "Thermodynamics is the only physical theory of universal content which, within the framework of the applicability of its basic concepts, I am convinced will never be overthrown." — Albert Einstein

Comment

Ohh, im gonna miss Promie!
                  Tappity-tap. Tappity-tap.
                  LOVE HIM-> DT
                  ~Proud Member of the Ship Ship Hooray Special Ops Team~

Comment

But do we have complete plans? As far as I recall, Sam didn't have any idea of how the satellite was powered, not even with the Caledonian copies. Of course, being the total brainbox she is, it would only be a matter of time before she either figured it out or jerry-rigged another solution. But that then throws up all sorts of difficult questions about whether it would be a good idea in the long run.

Can we be certain that the Ori would give the Rand Protectorate something that they themselves aren't protected from? What's to say that the shields on any ships they bring along aren't strong enough to repel the beam? All we could be doing is diverting resources into something that wouldn't help us if the Ori came knocking, and could instead be used quite easily against other countries on Earth. Just imagine what this world would be like if we had a Kinsey-type president in the White House with his finger on The Button of an Ori-designed Satellite. I know I'd be thumbing a lift on the nearest available scoutship. God help anyone who rubbed him up the wrong way.

Alas, I think they really should have busted the thing to smithereens. It would have put the Rand Protectorate back on a level playing field again, and perhaps would have gone some way towards justifying the loss of the Prommie, and those who were lost with her. Danny's willingness to trust in the good of others is perhaps one of his greatest qualities, but sometimes you just wish he was a wee bit more cynical.

Overall, I enjoyed 'Ethon', it was another ep that showed that SG-1 are not invincible, and that there are problems even they can't solve. Good stuff.
                    sigpic

Comment

Ethon was the follow up to season 8’s Icon, which in over a year the Rand and the Caledonians have taken each other to the brink of collapse. But when you think that this would be a one off episode where we go back in out continued efforts to help them rebuild, we then find out that they haven’t been in contact with Earth for several months and then the Priors have been visiting.

In an episode that would be sad we had the one comedy moment with SG-1 talking in Landry’s office, but none of them wanted to sit in the “Big Chair”. And you could tell by Cam’s face that he wasn’t sure.

The Rand protectorate drew us in by asking us to come, and it ended with Daniel in jail for being in league with the Caledonians. They tell us that the Ori are Gods, its not as if we haven’t heard that line before. Prometheus arrives to destroy the satellite, they hesitate and which we find out later was there downfall. They open fire with a couple of missiles; the satellite has shields, something of which would have come across the mind of Carter and the team. Any number of updates may have been made since the blueprints that they had seen as they were months old.

The satellite opens fire on Prometheus, and it goes straight through the Asgard shields and through the front of the ship. The destruction that one shot caused was immense, and the Prommy was left a sitting duck, even with the F-302’s there was no stopping the satellite, the shields were too strong. It hits again, but only after the Rand President orders it to, even though one of the Commanders had suggested otherwise, the President turns to Origin. The Prometheus then takes a lethal hit, and breaks in to two pieces, and the first thought to enter my mind was “What had happened to Carter?” we had last seen her trying to power Prometheus before it was destroyed. Colonel Pendergast will be remembered for his noble sacrifice, and Cam was right his family had the right to know that he died protecting his ship.

With the Prometheus destroyed, the thoughts that went through my mind are non PG and therefore can’t be mentioned here on GateWorld. We turn to the Caledonians to help us, where we find that SG-1 had survived including Carter and it looking more and more likely that it will end up in all out war between them…Carter comes up with a plan, an EMP missile stopping the Rand’s control over the satellite. Just when you think that it will end up in an all out war, Daniel comes through with the peaceful solution, which is good on paper but the Rand President turns and tries to destroy all hopes of peace, but he gets shot…

We hope that peace will final come…but no…we learn that they ended up in full scale war, because the Caledonians will unwilling to leave through the Stargate, and the Deadalus stopped by and we have to believe that we won’t be seeing anyone from this planet in a long time if at all…

Ethon Recieves a S.G.C rating of 7 out of 9 Chevrons!

With the destruction of the Prometheus, it shows that we can’t always win SG-1 can’t go round the Galaxy save the day and be back in time for the next intergalactic problem. Ethon shows us that our battle against the Ori and the Priors is going to much tougher than the battle against the Goa’uld, it will take them to the edge and back.

Comment

We dont have the complete plans...

If i was in charge i would send every ship and bombbard that planet for destroying the prometheus, totally nuke it! with no contral station just beam the satallite onto the ship and head home.

It was a great episode!

sigpic

Comment

On the plus side with the loss of Prometheus, maybe we'll use that big old circle--I think it's called the "Stargate" --more.

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
                            On the plus side with the loss of Prometheus, maybe we'll use that big old circle--I think it's called the "Stargate" --more.
                            The stargate? Never heard of it! What should they probably do with that?

I liked this ep because it was about the Team SG-1. I heard the rumour that the show is called after this team. But I could be wrong!

Comment

Well I really enjoyed this episode. Was nice seeing Danny get in trouble. And OMG, the Prommy. I loved the SFX and space sequences. We shall miss her. Cam got some nice emotional moments. Good episode.
                              sigpic
                              Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

they destroyed promethous because of studio space deadlus orion odecy use the same set promie has her own thats why she had to down sad realy the death was slow when they were diabled the rand fired again

ps what happened to the escape pods from grace and i thought they had 8 302s not 5

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWmw1u2to5M

Currently recruiting new staff

Comment

Working...
                                X