Ethon (915)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Auralis
    Yes, the lost of the prmmi had nothing to do with the satelite been powerfull.
    The total incompetenz of everyone is the fault.
    They should have fired directly at the satellite, they should have jumped back to hyper. They did not even moved after the missiles went splat.
    They should have fired directly after coming out of hyperspace, then after the missles went splat, they should have imediatly start moving tangential away from the staetlite, and back to hyper, while keeping firing with missle, set the detonate prior to impact.
    Maybe the prommy would have went down to, but then because the satellite is ueber, not because of incompetenz.

Yes there should be an formal inquiere about the mission, and normaly those people would not set foot again in anything responsible again on a ship.
    Agreed.

The Promie could've possibly been saved if they weren't so arragant in thinking that their All mighty Asgard shields would protect them from a weapon of unknown power.

I would've fired, and seen that my attacks were useless, retreated immediately.

Even if you can withstand any attack the enemy could throw at you, if you can't hurt them in return, what good is it to stay? A little lesson learned by the Ancients, taught by the Wraith.

Why did I enlist during a time of war? Because I'm "Army Strong," not "Army Smart."

Forget this "Army of One" BS. I signed up to "Be all that I can be!"

Comment

But I believe Stargate SG-1 does have something like a Prime Directive (not a written one): Our reality counts.
      This could easily be extended to our problem count and intervention is the mother of prevention.
      School is overrated.

Comment

While I would like to see some political fallout from the loss of the Prometheus, remember that we're at war. The Ori hit us hard via the plague, so offensive action against a future Ori position was somewhat warrented. Not to mention the fact that the entire situation stemmed from the SGC's initial meddling, which meant that they were somewhat inclined to assist in the resolution of the situation [at least, from a moral standpoint].

Sure, not enough was known about the Satellite weapon, but what was known indicated that the Satellite was ill-prepared for their attack, and it was assumed that near top-of-the-line Asguard shielding and the Prometheus' Trinium armour would protect it [a perfectly logical assumption]. On the basis of that information, and the time constraints for taking out the satellite weapon, I believe the choice to attack was indeed the right one. The fact that the Satellite posessed enough power to cut right through their Asguard Shields and the Prometheus itself came right out of left-field, and could not have been forseen.

The loss of the Prom was terrible, but the SGC was hardly at fault both in acting to save the people of that planet, and investigating the Ori Satellite Weapon. The only thing the SGC should have learned from this incident, is that above all; you do not f--k with the Ori.
        Jayne - Ain't logical. Cuttin' on his own face, rapin' and murdering - Hell, I'll kill a man in a fair fight... or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight, or if he bothers me, or if there's a woman, or if I'm gettin' paid - mostly only when I'm gettin' paid. But these Reavers... last ten years they show up like the bogeyman from stories. Eating people alive? Where's that get fun?
        Kaylee - Shepherd Book said they was men who just reached the edge of space, saw a vasty nothingness, and went bibbledy over it.
        Jayne - Oh, hell, i've been to the edge. Just looked like... more space.
        - Serenity

Comment

Did anyone else notice the nice way it weaved into a microcosm for the war towards the end, with SG1 backing the Caledonian Federation and the Ori backing the Rand Protectrate. Very war-by-proxy, Vietnam-style. Definitely one of the better eps of the season.
          Jayne - Ain't logical. Cuttin' on his own face, rapin' and murdering - Hell, I'll kill a man in a fair fight... or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight, or if he bothers me, or if there's a woman, or if I'm gettin' paid - mostly only when I'm gettin' paid. But these Reavers... last ten years they show up like the bogeyman from stories. Eating people alive? Where's that get fun?
          Kaylee - Shepherd Book said they was men who just reached the edge of space, saw a vasty nothingness, and went bibbledy over it.
          Jayne - Oh, hell, i've been to the edge. Just looked like... more space.
          - Serenity

Comment

Originally posted by Solanalos
            3. Ok I'm sure someone is going to kill me for this...but here's a question, for those of you who were upset with the death of Lionel Pendergast, how did you take Janet's death 2 years ago? Personally, I've watched "every adventure...from the beginning" and enjoyed Janet's presence on the SGC but her death just didn't move me much.
            I agree. Janet's death did nothing for me. But Pentergast (spelling?) .. ouch

Great episode. incredibly apt for society today too. Well if you take out the whole space flight and other planets thing. In terms of religion being used to justify murder etc though. Nicely done.

My only question though. Why was the episode called Ethon?

Oh actually never mind. Ethon was the bird that ate Prometheus' liver for all eternity right?

Comment

this is my first post here i've been reading bits and pieces here for a while and i'd like to say i think they learned a lot in this ep .

for a start sam got her hands on 2 sets of schematics for the ori sattalite weapon so building our own should be no problem.
              using these weapons and sheilds(if better than the ones we've got) on future ships/ cruisers should be no problem either .

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel's_twin
                "And so Prometheus was punished by the gods for bringing Fire to the mortals, and was chained to the mountainside and was visited every day by the Eagle Ethon, sent by Hera, who gnawed at his liver every day. And every day his body regenerated itself so that he lived in unending torture..."
                You're right. I think Jack was right in not wanting to name the ship after a Greek tragedy.
                Yes, I really do look like (a younger) Daniel. Don't believe me? Look for yourself.

Hey, Mitchell! You want a turn?

Comment

While the strength of the weapon and the unexpected presence of shields cannot be blamed on anyone, I think that Cam/Sam/Pendergast's hesitation to fire the second they couldn't beam Daniel up and also to retreat when the first attack was unsuccessful did play a big part in the destruction of the Prometheus and the loss of 74 USAF crewmembers.
                  While neither of them can be held totally responsible, I would like to see some sort of fallout from this. An investigation of some sort where the criticisers of the SGC would try their best to blame the mission failure on Mitchell or Carter in order to gain greater control of the program only to be unsuccessful in the end.
                  Wouldn't it be fitting if the Ori Satellite plans and F-302 scans were just what we needed to finish off our own weapon, thus giving the loss of the Prometheus atleast some sort of meaning.
                  Seems just like the sort of thing TPTB would pull out of their sleeves.

We shall see...

Comment

Originally posted by SGTLopez
                    I think there are still people on the satalite...the problem for them comes in "who's going to give them a ride back to the planet?" I think they are pretty much hosed.
                    There was nothing to suggest that the satellite was manned.

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man
                      I'm sure they did learn a lesson. Shoot first, ask questions later.
                      that was always jacks way of doing things he even mentions it in proving ground season 3
                      https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

just because there didn't say there took the satellite weapon doesn't mean that there didn't

it could be sitting at area 51
                        https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

id like to think they did learn a lesson, but in fairness, give it a few more seasons and we'll probably lose another ship in another silly way. but id like to think they did

"But the core of science fiction, is essance has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all..."

Dont let our show die.

Comment

Daedalus might not be able to tow it back. The satellite looked fairly large (using the F-302's to determine scale) and it might just be too big for us to tow.

And NightWing makes a good point, just because it wasn't shown in the episode, or mentioned, doesn't mean it didn't/won't happen.

Comment

It's good to see the Icon planet again, I liked that, and its good to see Jarrod, although it's sad what's happened to Leda, and to the planet.

Nice to see Cam quoting Jack.

Must have seen his wouldn't turn out as planned.

All this leading to...

The Prometheus destroyed!!!

COLONEL PRENDERGAST DEAD!!!!!!!

That's the shock of the season so far....

The Sam/Cam reunion was definitly a friendship only hug..and the Teal'c/Sam was reunion was very touching..that's the most emotion I've seen Teal'c show.

"Do you ever give up?"

'Not until I'm dead..and not even then..' Nice quote from Daniel.

Another trademark daring Sam plan!!!!

Should have guessed that deal was false

And Jarrod takes charge!!! Knew that man had more in him.

Oh, that was sad about Colonel Prendergast. I really really liked him. He was cool. (Guess there won't be an 'Adventures of Prometheus now).

Fantastic ending. It's interesting to see SG1 fail in a way.

And I much prefer the way Cam was in this one..thoughtful, intelligent, introspective. I like the friendship he's developing with Daniel, and I love i when he and Danny joke around, but generally, I prefer him to be the way he was in this.

But..oh...poor Prometheus!
                              Michelle's Fanfic Here My Original Fic

Comment

they might have the plans at the very least. from the caladonians.
                                sigpic
                                You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
                                Stargate : Genesis |
                                Original Starship DesignThread
                                Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
                                11000! green me

Comment

Working...
                                X