Ethon (915)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by warmbeachbrat
    Oh I am seriously unhappy! Do they really have so many recurring characters that they feel the need to bump them off every now and again? I really liked Pendergast. I can't believe we're not going to see him any more. If they ever even think of touching Dr. Lee....
    Don't worry we make Lee a lead character in stargate genesis my VS. Anyways great ep. I can see why people think it was more old stargate, but it still doesn't top last weeks ep. Go Ba'al
    Lastest Episode: Alliances, Part One

Comment

Originally posted by wizelf
      Maybe the technology used in the Daedalus is move advanced than what they had in Prometheus. Then again, maybe they didn't carry any nukes with them!
      As much upgrading as they are always doing on the Prometheus, I'd guess the beaming technology was up to par. Course that's just my guess.

Even if they didn’t have any nukes, beam some armed missile warheads over there or a naquidah generator (they did have one of those) that’s about to overload. Something. Anything. Would have been better than the alternative.

My beef with that is that they didn't even mention that as a possible option to try even though they were successful with it in the Pegasus galaxy.

“Let’s shoot some missiles at it. Oh ****. That didn’t work, what now? Quick, launch the F-302s to go shoot some more missiles at it.”
      IMO always implied.

Comment

I know it's a Trek rule, but is there a rule in Stargate where you can't beam through shields?

I mean, the reason it worked for the Wraith at first is because they don't have shields.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15
          I know it's a Trek rule, but is there a rule in Stargate where you can't beam through shields?

I mean, the reason it worked for the Wraith at first is because they don't have shields.

I agree are there any cases where asgard beams pentrated sheilds?
          Season 10 is by far my favorite season and i have been watching Stargate since the beginning.

Comment

When they were evacuating the Prometheus I think its shields were still up, albeit depleted and useless against the Ori Satellite. Will have to rewatch to be sure.
            Even if they were, it might be that they can only beam through their own shields and not other ships' shields.

Comment

Originally posted by nyxlily
              They were caught by surprise. Carter *thought* the satellite didn't have any defensive capabilities and the fact that it took several minutes after each shot to recharge as a inferior weapon. They had no idea the weapon can penetrate their shield..
              And, as to Carter's previous suggestion, they should have gotten the hell out of there. Instead, they simply sat there and assumed the shield would save them.

The United States military doesn't just assume something, they plan and they make backup plans in case something fails - especially so with something as important as a flagship.

I can't speak for the people making this show.. but to me it means these Ori guys can still surprise our heroes and is VERY MUCH still a threat, despite their (temporary?) advantage over the Priors. I don't like having the Ori as the enemy much.. but hey, at least they're trying to make them menacing and evil and NOT to be underestimated.
              I knew the Ori were evil, menancing, and a threat long before Ethon. I sorta knew for sure around Beach head.

The ship went down to show the audience what the Ori is capable of
              The Ori didn't do anything in this episode besides show up and hand Rand some plans. Had the Ori/Priors showed up, and personally, blown up Prometheus - no harm no foul. That's their calling card.

However, to have a backwoods planet with a crazy, overweight, obnoxious and insanely moronic leader to blast the Prometheus when it was dead in the water because of religious fanaticism...

Yeah, I don't care for that. I saw something along those lines on 9/11.

1.) Had the Ori destroyed Prometheus, it wouldn't have been as bad.
              2.) Had the Prometheus DESTROYED the satellite and then have gone down (say, still killing Penderghast), it would have been ideal.

I don't know about you, but had some little ******* of a planet blew up one of our most prized ships (even if, technologically, it sucked compaired to others), I wouldn't leave the planet standing intact. It would be, as said in Aliens: "Nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure."

Comment

Originally posted by LoneStar1836
                They were fools for think that Rand would agree to give up its gate in order to protect its satellite. What idiot actually believed them? I wasn’t happy when Mitchell backed down from destroying the satellite. They had just destroyed the Prometheus for Pete’s sake. As she was trying to surrender. Dumb move. Yeah it might have cost Daniel his life, but he was already willing to risk it anyway by just going to that planet in the first place. They could obviously build another satellite, but a stargate (and the advantage it offers) is practically irreplaceable.

Agreed. When Mitchell complied and backed down, I was like "WTF! Daniel, come on! They killed 30 of your friends and took down the Prometheus! TAKE THE RAND BACK TO THE STONE AGE!"

I mean, I know Daniel likes to play diplomat, but sometimes it gets a bit ridiculous. When someone blows a completely defenceless ship out of space when it tried to surrender - that's murder. Screw 'em, they messed up - and they should have paid for it.

But, no, Daniel wanted to be Jimmy Carter and brokered a peace deal that, if the commander guy wouldn't have killed Nadal over, would have gotten Sam, and 70 of his friends killed.

Daniel, bad, bad move.

Comment

Originally posted by AnotherEvilAlien
                  I don't know about you, but had some little ******* of a planet blew up one of our most prized ships (even if, technologically, it sucked compaired to others), I wouldn't leave the planet standing intact. It would be, as said in Aliens: "Nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure."
                  Leaving aside the fact that that would be mass murder, it would also have the effect of taking out the esteemed Dr. Jackson . . .

Comment

When someone blows a completely defenceless ship out of space when it tried to surrender - that's murder. Screw 'em, they messed up - and they should have paid for it.
                    What -- you want them to play by the Geneva convention?

And who made the Geneva convention an international standard?

Oh, that's right -- it was those damned diplomats! WTF were they thinking?

Comment

I mean, I know Daniel likes to play diplomat, but sometimes it gets a bit ridiculous. When someone blows a completely defenceless ship out of space when it tried to surrender - that's murder. Screw 'em, they messed up - and they should have paid for it.
                      "A completely defenseless ship." Boo hoo!

The Prometheus came to make a stealth attack on another country's property in an undeclared war, not even authorised by the President. (Mitchell is gonna get court-martialed for this.)

Big, powerful ship comes to blow away tiny satellite, having been assured that it will be "no problem" and they get their collective kiesters kicked. Then Pendergast lies to the Rand leader about what happened. Unfortunately, Pendergast has just initiated hostilities with a foreign power and they're a bit pissed about it. Pearl Harbor, anyone?

It was Daniel who did the honorable thing when he went to talk to the people of Tegalus. Maybe they wouldn't listen, maybe they didn't listen, but they had the opportunity to decide their own destiny, which is all that free people can really ask for.

Comment

Originally posted by Margaret
                        Leaving aside the fact that that would be mass murder, it would also have the effect of taking out the esteemed Dr. Jackson . . .
                        Just like Daniel said....."only when I'm dead...and sometimes not even then". I think our esteemed Dr. Jackson would have cheated death once again

Comment

Originally posted by nccjones
                          Just like Daniel said....."only when I'm dead...and sometimes not even then". I think our esteemed Dr. Jackson would have cheated death once again
                          Yeah ... notice how he was more worried about being tortured than he was about being executed?

Comment

"A completely defenseless ship." Boo hoo!

The Prometheus came to make a stealth attack on another country's property in an undeclared war, not even authorised by the President. (Mitchell is gonna get court-martialed for this.)

Big, powerful ship comes to blow away tiny satellite, having been assured that it will be "no problem" and they get their collective kiesters kicked. Then Pendergast lies to the Rand leader about what happened. Unfortunately, Pendergast has just initiated hostilities with a foreign power and they're a bit pissed about it. Pearl Harbor, anyone?

It was Daniel who did the honorable thing when he went to talk to the people of Tegalus. Maybe they wouldn't listen, maybe they didn't listen, but they had the opportunity to decide their own destiny, which is all that free people can really ask for.
                            Pearl Harbor? Prommie wasn't there to kill anyone one or insert their dominance over them. They were trying to prevent a an inevitable slauter that Jarod's people were going to comit. Yes, Prommie was on a stealth mission to blow up the satilite but that gives that president NO excuse to reject Prommies surrender when they were completely defensless. That's like if soldiers over run enemies line and the enemy soldiers put their hands up in surrender but the soldiers just cut them down with machine fire anyway. That is murder in the rules of war.

5th Season of Supernatural Premiering September 10th!
                            Spoiler:

Comment

Yeah ... notice how he was more worried about being tortured than he was about being executed?
                              Of course. I mean come on, after facing death as many times as he has, I'm sure he doesn't get too nervous anymore. Torture, on the other hand, is a very different matter.
                              sigpic
                              MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                              "...phu...ah..."
                              "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                              Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by PG15

But Joe gave this reply some time back about the Wraith ships having shields.

I just figured the Wraith remodulated or (insert shield technobabble of your choice here) their shields in order to prevent any more nukes being beamed aboard. Hmm though I guess that's just reserved for Star Trek.

Guess I'll have to go back and watch that some time when I get a chance (reading transcripts of that ep are no help since I can't visual see what was happening on screen and the dialogue isn't very helpful) because another interpretation of Joe's post could be that the Wraith had their shields down initially and were caught by surprise allowing the Daedalus to take out some before the others raised their shields to block the Asgard beaming tech.

It quite possibly could be that second scenario. Pfft. And here I thought Asgard tech was superior. They did mention that there was a safe guard built into the beaming tech to prevent it from being used in such a manor but the little gray dude on Daedalus overrode the commands.
                                IMO always implied.

Comment

Working...
                                X