Ethon (915)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by golfbooy
    I daresay that a fine beginning to this inevitably overlong and intensely boring expression of the thoughts running through my head concerning Ethon is to simply state that I found it to be the most satisfying episode of SG-1 to air in a good long while. Why you ask? (Oh, come on, I know you're all curious.)

Well, to begin, they blew up the Prometheus. Unlike many others, I can't say that I'm sorry to see her go. Blame it on the many years I spent watching this show long before she entered the story, but I'd never developed any great attachment to her. It's funny, I suppose, but I've always had a far, far greater affinity for the SGC, for Goa'uld motherships, for cargo ships, for Asgard ships, and for the Stargate itself, than I've ever felt for any of the Earth-built ships in the show. The introduction of such a massive leap in our level of technology, while good for an initial thrill (and for adding many fans, apparently), never sat right with me. I've always felt that it robbed the show of much of it's tension and drama, and that it improperly drew the focus of the show away from planetary exploration towards interstellar conflict. So, yeah, it was a thrill for me to see the Prometheus bite it. SG-1, now without a spaceship all their own, would hopefully be stuck doing things the old fashioned way, much as they did at the end of this episode. But alas, I fear it's not to last. More's the pity.

That said, another reason that the Prometheus' destruction elicited such delight from me is because it was done properly. I've never been the biggest fan of Lionel Pendergast, he always seemed to be just another ship commander to me. But Barclay Hope was outstanding in Ethon, and kudos to the writers for playing this fiddle for all it was worth. His demise with the Prometheus, while inevitable, was simple and straightforward. Manning his ship to the last, saving as many of his crew as possible, Col. Pendergast's quiet final scene is an example of how you illustrate someone's heroism and courage. It was certainly a stark contrast to last week's bizzarre Cambo routine, and an example of the satisfying understatement that has characterized SG-1's heroism over the many years and adventures.

I've always thought that one of SG-1's strengths was that it often revisited worlds and cultures that the team had encountered in previous episodes. While just a small, little thing, for me it's one of the reasons that the Stargate universe seems so rich and expansive. And more often than not, SG-1's return visit to a culture makes for a more satisfying episode than the first time around. Such is the case in Ethon with the Rand Protectorate and Caladonia. Daniel's experiences in Icon and O'neill's, Carter's, and Teal'c's previous interaction with Soren and the upheaval gave the events of Ethon a nice sense of familiarity and allowed the team to feel somewhat relaxed. I still bemoan Damien Kindler's seeming inability to create a different overall "people" than the one we're treated to here; every single Kindler created people is virtually identical (cf. Memento, Cure, Icon). For whatever reason, though, it didn't bother me too much in this one. I liked Ernie Hudson and thought he did well, and I also liked Jared Kane a lot more in this episode than I did in Icon. I suspect that the exclusion of Leda from this episode allowed Kane to be a bit, I don't know, happier? I can't be the only one who thought she was awfully cloying, can I?

Anyway, on to our guys. I have to say that I'm a bit torn on the initial scenes at the SGC. I loved that SG-1 finally acted like a team at the SGC. The briefing scene where Kane explains the situation was well done. It did feel weird not to have someone there who was actually in command of the base. I guess what I'm saying is that it felt weird not to have a General there. That said, I think that the breifing, overall, felt much more comfortable without Landry's presence. See, that make's no sense. I'm torn on it. I wanted a command presence there, but still felt that the whole thing played better without Landry there. So does that mean I dislike Landry? I didn't really think so before, but am now forced to question the character's place. Meh, now I've confused myself. O'neill should be the General. Yeah, that's it. They should just get O'neill back. Shouldn't be too much of a problem, right?

At first glance, I would have predicted that Daniel would be the central figure in Ethon, but the events in the story took precedent. I thought Daniel was good on the planet, if a little more constrained than I would have liked. His reaction to the apparent deaths of his friends was great and very much in character. No gnashing of teeth or beating of breast, just the same reserved, quiet sadness which he displayed after the deaths of both Sha're and Janet Frasier. Also, Michael Shanks' delivery of the "Not till I'm dead.........and sometimes not even then" line was spot on. It was by far Daniel's best line of the season, and it makes me all the sorrier that Michael Shanks will miss some episodes next season, good reasons notwithstanding.

I'm going to lump Teal'c and Mitchell together in this paragraph, seeing as how they were lumped together throughout this episode. Yes, I agree with others that Teal'c should have been piloting his own F302. Come on, he's Teal'c. And, no, he didn't have a whole lot to do or say in Ethon, which is quite the pity. Chris Judge, however, continues to make the most out of what little he's given each week. His reaction to seeing Carter alive and well following the Prometheus' destruction was terrific. Despite the obvious physicality of Mitchell's welcoming hug, there was still more emotion and relief conveyed in Teal'c's actions and mein. And that's not to say that Mitchell's hug was bad, wrong, or out of place. It wasn't. It was in fact a rather nice moment. It just can't hope to compete with the decade of history that the Carter and Teal'c characters share. Those are the kinds of moments that have been conspicuously absent from season 9. Mitchell was back to his original incarnation this week, a pleasant variation from Joke-Cam, Cambo, and the walking angst machine of previous weeks. His inclusion as a member of the team, and not as an outside force, makes all the difference with the character.

I'm not sure what I expected out of Carter in Ethon, but it wasn't a whole lot. Thus, I'm quite pleasantly surprised at how much she was involved in the story. Which I suppose again goes to the team nature of the episode and to how much more successful the show is when it pulls it off. She was great both on the Prometheus and in Caladonia, where her experience under fire and her innovative thinking were given equal opportunity to shine. Throw in some added significance to her time at Area 51 (which makes her earlier absences more palatable) and you've got yourself a winner.

Lastly, I would be remiss to not say something about the pointed inclusion of the command issue in this episode. Certainly the chair scene in Landry's office was a nod to all the fans clamoring for one character or the other to take outright command of SG-1. And, in typical Stargate fashion, nothing is resolved here. Points for consistency, I suppose. Add in the deliberate dialogue and direction of Col. Pendergast on board the Prometheus, and you've got yourself the most obvious illustration of co-command yet. So who's in command? Apparently they both are.

Speaking of direction, Ken Girrotti did a wonderful job on Ethon. I've felt for a while now that Martin Wood, Peter DeLuise and Andy Mikita, have been grossly overworked. While all fine directors, prepping, filming, and editing 10 hours of television a piece is truly a daunting task given the quick filming schedule of Stargate. Eventually, some things will suffer (see The Tower). If TPTB were so inclined as to hire another director to help alleviate the burden, it wouldn't bother me at all. I think a little more prep time and effort went a long way towards making Ethon a delightfully paced, well-inclusive story for all of the characters.

I've read a number of complaints about the beer, and can at least agree that it was an odd decision. But it's not enough to overcome the terrific execution this episode enjoyed. Off the Grid is next week. Not too sure how I feel about it yet. I think it has the potential to be both very good and very bad, though Skiffy's ad doesn't exactly inspire confidence. Still, trying to stay positive, which is a lot easier after Ethon than before it.
    Yup. Great post.

Comment

I just can't get over the fact that the Prometheus is gone.

I liked the ep a lot. Much better than last week.

Poor Daniel sitting in the cell wondering if his friends were dead or alive. Best line: "Not until I'm dead and sometimes not even then." That pretty much sums it up.

Comment

Originally posted by Dani347
        The scene where Sam came back, I didn't get the impression that Mitchell's reaction was more important or heartfelt than Teal'c's. Teal'c's expression was definitely full of emotion, and it seemed to me that he wanted to be able to look at her. I felt the holding her the arms and staring into her eyes when he said that they feared the worst had a big emotional impact..
        I agree! Teal'c's expression said it more than a hug ever would have. I saw 9years of freindship in that small scene. The Mitchell hug was lost on me. He was happy to see her alive, that's understandable, but I don't feel like he's part of the team so there was no emotion invested in it.

And, one nice thing in the cell after the Prometheus blew up and Jared was saying all of Daniel's lines (grr) was they cut to Daniel and when the commander dude started talking about what the pror did, Daniel's head turned slightly towards them. Like the whole time he hadn't heard a word, because he was in shock, but that managed to penetrate his fog. I like the idea that he was so lost that he couldn't participate. And, yes, at the same time I hate that Jared was doing all the talking..
        It didn't bother me that Jared had all the lines in that scene, because just like Teal'c's scene with Sam, I thought Daniel in the background with his head down spoke volumes! I was barely paying attention to Jared and was just watching Daniel. Again, 9 years of friendship with these people and he can only assume they were on the ship and possibly did not beam down.

And, no face to face reunion with Daniel. What is it with Damian Kindler (hope I'm getting the right person to be miffed at) and all Daniel reunions with SG1 after being in trouble happening long distance? And, I still didn't feel the emotion when they found out for sure he was okay. I heard the words, but a split second smile when hearing his voice? It sucks that the reaction shot had to go to Teal'c and Mitchell when they had those helmets on.
        Again, I do agree to a point. But the exchange btwn Sam and Daniel that they were glad to hear each other's voices again was great. I really felt the friendship and caring.

Comment

Anyone have screencaps of Prommie getting raped and the F-302's leaving prommie and attacking the ori satellite?

Best Stargate quote:
          Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
          Green is your friend.

Comment

Is it against the rules to have beer on a military facility period, or just when you're on duty? I wouldn't know myself. But, I'll confess I liked the scene so much -Mitchell seeking Daniel out, giving him credit, probably in an attempt to make him feel better over everything- that I really wouldn't have cared if it had been against the rules. There was so little for me to like. But, still, I thought it was clear Mitchell wasn't on duty, and Daniel could very well have been there after hours, which would mean he wasn't officially on duty either. Would that still have been a breach of military rules?
            It is against the rules to have beer at a place of duty. All bases usually have an officer's and enlisted club where they can drink. Even though Cheyenne Mountain isn't really a base, it is close to a base. I'm sure the guys who really work in Cheyenne Mountain, if any are watching, saw that scene with wide eyes. I'm in the military and anyone on or off duty showed up with beer at their work place would be court martialed so fast it wouldn't be funny.

Many people are swearing it wasn't beer though, that they thought it was some brand of root beer. But then the scene wouldn't make sense to me. How many times has someone brought another a soda? It made sense that it was beer to me...that's what the scene was screaming to me. I was really hoping Daniel wouldn't drink it since he hesitated at first.

Edited to add...even though it's against regulations...not to say it doesn't happen. (Just not too thrilled about the "supposed" 21C of the base is doing this when he would have to punish junior personnel for the same thing).
            Last edited by nccjones; 04 February 2006, 05:34 PM.

Comment

They blew up my favorite ship those ****ers. I was very sad that we lost the Prometheus...but life goes on...and we'll get the Odyssey.

My only thought about all that was...is SG-1 going to get in serious trouble for it...kinda like the incident in 'Heroes' where there was some conflict with it?

Daniel was pretty much as his old self...trying to make peace out of something that seems impossible to do.

As for the beer deal I think of it this way...they lost the Prometheus, 40 people died on that ship and the peace talks failed...I am pretty sure after a day like that...a beer won't kill anyone.

Great episode though, this really brought back the old days of SG-1...I give it 4.5/5
              Last edited by MoebiusStrip; 04 February 2006, 05:39 PM.

Don't you wish things in life were more normal?

Comment

Originally posted by AnotherEvilAlien

Honestly, I hated this episode. Killing off the Prometheus was unwarranted and unneeded.
                No. IMHO it was needed to show how deadly the Ori really are. The Goa'uld never managed that.

The worst part about it is that the writers seem to have killed off Prometheus simply because of a quick one-liner that Teal'C gave back in Ripple Effect. I'm sorry, but just because the Prometheus was lost in an alternative dimension DOES NOT mean it has to happen here.
                Uh...no. That was foreshadowing. By the time they finished Ripple Effect's script, they already knew that the Promie is going to get it 2 episodes later.

I was quite disgusted to see Prometheus die an undeserving and pointless death, along with Pendergast. The fact that so many of the crew was lost and that the Rand and Caldonian people just ended up killing themselves anyways, this episode quite honestly sucked. It seems like the writers hit a bit of an emo bump and decided just said "screw it" and did something grand and dramatic - only it wasn't and it wasn't needed.
                It's war. What, you think it's all going to be meaningful and happy sunshine?

I'm not saying we shouldn't kill off characters like Pendergast, or destroy things like the Prometheus, but why the hell did they have to do it the way they did?
                Because sh*t happens. That's war.

So then you'd be okay if the writers decided to kill all of SG-1? Have Dr. Weir thrown to a bunch of hungry Wraiths? Atlantis fall into the sea?
                No, no, and no.

Why?

Because this is Stargate SG1, they are the main characters. Weir, is ALSO a main character, and so is Atlantis since the show is called "Stargate Atlantis"

When there is a Stargate Prometheus or Stargate Pendergast, then I'll understand.

Also, a person can fail and not die. McKay failed compaired to Carter - that doesn't mean we should throw him into a pit of lava or blow him up.
                But people do die because they failed.

The writers COULD have had Pendergast fail to destroy the satellite, yet still live at the end of the day.
                Why? Can you honesty not handle a character death on a TV show that you don't want this kind of emotional impact?

We need sacrifices. Otherwise, this would all seem trivial (besides the fact that it's a TV show).

As for me:

Wow wow wow. That was freaking awesome!

Ok, slight Star Treky during the fire fight, but that's fine since I'm a Trek fan.

I loved Teal'c's little bow when the Calandonians said that they would die before submitting.

I loved that tiny, tiny little swallow Carter did when they said that they haven't heard from Danny.

I loved how Cam so casually told everyone to get between the weapon and the Prommie so they can take a hit for it.

I loved how Danny got control of the situation at the end.

I loved how everything just went downhill after we left, and how the Stargate was buried in rubble. Very symbolic.

And finally...

RIP Prometheus (I went "Oh sh*t!" When that first shot went through the ship!) and Colonel Pendergast. You will be missed.

(score: 5/5)

Oh, and did anyone else see how much the Rand president looked like Maybourne? It was unnerving. He even sounded like him!

Comment

Originally posted by PG15
                  Lots and Lots of Stuff
                  Well said.

Don't you wish things in life were more normal?

Comment

Originally posted by nccjones
                    It is against the rules to have beer at a place of duty. All bases usually have an officer's and enlisted club where they can drink. Even though Cheyenne Mountain isn't really a base, it is close to a base. I'm sure the guys who really work in Cheyenne Mountain, if any are watching, saw that scene with wide eyes. I'm in the military and anyone on or off duty showed up with beer at their work place would be court martialed so fast it wouldn't be funny.

Many people are swearing it wasn't beer though, that they thought it was some brand of root beer. But then the scene wouldn't make sense to me. How many times has someone brought another a soda? It made sense that it was beer to me...that's what the scene was screaming to me. I was really hoping Daniel wouldn't drink it since he hesitated at first.

Edited to add...even though it's against regulations...not to say it doesn't happen. (Just not too thrilled about the "supposed" 21C of the base is doing this when he would have to punish junior personnel for the same thing).

that's the US military for ya. anyway sci fi

Comment

Originally posted by PG15
                      No. IMHO it was needed to show how deadly the Ori really are. The Goa'uld never managed that.

Uh...no. That was foreshadowing. By the time they finished Ripple Effect's script, they already knew that the Promie is going to get it 2 episodes later.

It's war. What, you think it's all going to be meaningful and happy sunshine?

Because sh*t happens. That's war.

No, no, and no.

Why?

Because this is Stargate SG1, they are the main characters. Weir, is ALSO a main character, and so is Atlantis since the show is called "Stargate Atlantis"

When there is a Stargate Prometheus or Stargate Pendergast, then I'll understand.

But people do die because they failed.

Why? Can you honesty not handle a character death on a TV show that you don't want this kind of emotional impact?

We need sacrifices. Otherwise, this would all seem trivial (besides the fact that it's a TV show).

As for me:

Wow wow wow. That was freaking awesome!

Ok, slight Star Treky during the fire fight, but that's fine since I'm a Trek fan.

I loved Teal'c's little bow when the Calandonians said that they would die before submitting.

I loved that tiny, tiny little swallow Carter did when they said that they haven't heard from Danny.

I loved how Cam so casually told everyone to get between the weapon and the Prommie so they can take a hit for it.

I loved how Danny got control of the situation at the end.

I loved how everything just went downhill after we left, and how the Stargate was buried in rubble. Very symbolic.

And finally...

RIP Prometheus (I went "Oh sh*t!" When that first shot went through the ship!) and Colonel Pendergast. You will be missed.

(score: 5/5)

Oh, and did anyone else see how much the Rand president looked like Maybourne? It was unnerving. He even sounded like him!

they were tricky. the preview made it seem like the prommie rammed the satelite and both were destroyed. when i saw the prommie die in after a another shot i was all WTF!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MoebiusStrip
                        My only thought about all that was...is SG-1 going to get in serious trouble for it...kinda like the incident in 'Heroes' where there was some conflict with it?

I'm hoping it may at least be mentioned at some point in The Scourge. I don't think our foreign allies are going to be too thrilled that the SGC got Earth's flagship and primary defense platform destroyed on an off-world mission that didn't concern Earth directly. I would think Woolsey would have a hissy fit about that one.

Comment

Originally posted by AutumnDream
                          PS: OMG DANIEL WATCH OUT KANE IS A CYLON!
                          Ha! The first thing I thought when I saw him was "Oh crap, the cyclons have invaded the SGC!"

Originally posted by FoolishPleasure
                          Yep - I picked up on the Vorlon/Shadow thing long ago. We all know what happened with that - neither was what they seemed to be! I'm hoping TPTB can come up with something just as wild.
                          I thought that one scene where Mitch and Sam were going over the satellite plans on the prominently displayed "B5" level was a Babylon 5 shout out. Be interesting to see if the commentaries say as much.

The Prometheus actually may end up destroying the satellite after all. It's destruction created a huge amount of orbiting debris which realistically would eventually collide and either destroy the satellite or push it out of orbit. Heck, I thought the Prommie should have rammed the damn thing to burn up in the atmosphere once they realized they were severely outgunned.

Comment

Originally posted by NakedJehutyV2
                            that's the US military for ya. anyway sci fi
                            Yep, and that's why I'm proud to serve in the US Military There are reasons for this rule. But I do agree this is sci-fi. If that's so, then I wouldn't expect to hear about how many times Carter broke the rules and Mitchell running off on his own.

Comment

imo after daniel told camshaft bout the talks breaking down they should launch another attack on the satelite and destroy it before it arms shield

Comment

Originally posted by nccjones
                                Yep, and that's why I'm proud to serve in the US Military There are reasons for this rule. But I do agree this is sci-fi. If that's so, then I wouldn't expect to hear about how many times Carter broke the rules and Mitchell running off on his own.
                                good for you seriously.

now no offense or anything but how much are ya'll paid?

Comment

Working...
                                X