Ethon (915)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by freyr's mother
    Maybe the asgard didn't give us the full strength asgard shields and instead gave us some they werent using b/c they were outdated. But really, this should be a wake up call for the asgard. They need to start giving us some powerful energy weapons. Better yet, why didn't we just call them up and brief them about the situation. Then they could have come over with their vastly superior technology and destroyed the satellite. Also, i thought prommie had asgard sensors. Wouldn't they have been able to locate daniel without a locator beacon?

Two freaking missiles! Why didn't they just go all out like we saw in beachead? Also, something i noticed in comparing Prommie to Deddy, prommie has faster missiles.
    If you guys watched 6x18 Disclosure from SG1, you hear at the end that Thor was going to give Prometheus Asgard designed weapons. Where the hell was that.

Also Asgard shields won't do any good, no matter how strong they are. Think about it, the Ancients shields are WAY better than that of the Asgard. Lets make the assumption that the Ori's technology is a bit crappier than the Ancients (Since the Ancients believed in sciece), you can still say that the ori's weapons are way better. Therefore shielding by the Asgards won't do any good.

However, i'm surprised by the satelite's defense capability, the Ancient Sat. System, though is stronger in terms of weapon's strength, the added shield should have been tacked on to even defend the wraith.
    Subspace Energy Technology Thread
    http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...68#post8685268

Comment

I daresay that a fine beginning to this inevitably overlong and intensely boring expression of the thoughts running through my head concerning Ethon is to simply state that I found it to be the most satisfying episode of SG-1 to air in a good long while. Why you ask? (Oh, come on, I know you're all curious.)

Well, to begin, they blew up the Prometheus. Unlike many others, I can't say that I'm sorry to see her go. Blame it on the many years I spent watching this show long before she entered the story, but I'd never developed any great attachment to her. It's funny, I suppose, but I've always had a far, far greater affinity for the SGC, for Goa'uld motherships, for cargo ships, for Asgard ships, and for the Stargate itself, than I've ever felt for any of the Earth-built ships in the show. The introduction of such a massive leap in our level of technology, while good for an initial thrill (and for adding many fans, apparently), never sat right with me. I've always felt that it robbed the show of much of it's tension and drama, and that it improperly drew the focus of the show away from planetary exploration towards interstellar conflict. So, yeah, it was a thrill for me to see the Prometheus bite it. SG-1, now without a spaceship all their own, would hopefully be stuck doing things the old fashioned way, much as they did at the end of this episode. But alas, I fear it's not to last. More's the pity.

That said, another reason that the Prometheus' destruction elicited such delight from me is because it was done properly. I've never been the biggest fan of Lionel Pendergast, he always seemed to be just another ship commander to me. But Barclay Hope was outstanding in Ethon, and kudos to the writers for playing this fiddle for all it was worth. His demise with the Prometheus, while inevitable, was simple and straightforward. Manning his ship to the last, saving as many of his crew as possible, Col. Pendergast's quiet final scene is an example of how you illustrate someone's heroism and courage. It was certainly a stark contrast to last week's bizzarre Cambo routine, and an example of the satisfying understatement that has characterized SG-1's heroism over the many years and adventures.

I've always thought that one of SG-1's strengths was that it often revisited worlds and cultures that the team had encountered in previous episodes. While just a small, little thing, for me it's one of the reasons that the Stargate universe seems so rich and expansive. And more often than not, SG-1's return visit to a culture makes for a more satisfying episode than the first time around. Such is the case in Ethon with the Rand Protectorate and Caladonia. Daniel's experiences in Icon and O'neill's, Carter's, and Teal'c's previous interaction with Soren and the upheaval gave the events of Ethon a nice sense of familiarity and allowed the team to feel somewhat relaxed. I still bemoan Damien Kindler's seeming inability to create a different overall "people" than the one we're treated to here; every single Kindler created people is virtually identical (cf. Memento, Cure, Icon). For whatever reason, though, it didn't bother me too much in this one. I liked Ernie Hudson and thought he did well, and I also liked Jared Kane a lot more in this episode than I did in Icon. I suspect that the exclusion of Leda from this episode allowed Kane to be a bit, I don't know, happier? I can't be the only one who thought she was awfully cloying, can I?

Anyway, on to our guys. I have to say that I'm a bit torn on the initial scenes at the SGC. I loved that SG-1 finally acted like a team at the SGC. The briefing scene where Kane explains the situation was well done. It did feel weird not to have someone there who was actually in command of the base. I guess what I'm saying is that it felt weird not to have a General there. That said, I think that the breifing, overall, felt much more comfortable without Landry's presence. See, that make's no sense. I'm torn on it. I wanted a command presence there, but still felt that the whole thing played better without Landry there. So does that mean I dislike Landry? I didn't really think so before, but am now forced to question the character's place. Meh, now I've confused myself. O'neill should be the General. Yeah, that's it. They should just get O'neill back. Shouldn't be too much of a problem, right?

At first glance, I would have predicted that Daniel would be the central figure in Ethon, but the events in the story took precedent. I thought Daniel was good on the planet, if a little more constrained than I would have liked. His reaction to the apparent deaths of his friends was great and very much in character. No gnashing of teeth or beating of breast, just the same reserved, quiet sadness which he displayed after the deaths of both Sha're and Janet Frasier. Also, Michael Shanks' delivery of the "Not till I'm dead.........and sometimes not even then" line was spot on. It was by far Daniel's best line of the season, and it makes me all the sorrier that Michael Shanks will miss some episodes next season, good reasons notwithstanding.

I'm going to lump Teal'c and Mitchell together in this paragraph, seeing as how they were lumped together throughout this episode. Yes, I agree with others that Teal'c should have been piloting his own F302. Come on, he's Teal'c. And, no, he didn't have a whole lot to do or say in Ethon, which is quite the pity. Chris Judge, however, continues to make the most out of what little he's given each week. His reaction to seeing Carter alive and well following the Prometheus' destruction was terrific. Despite the obvious physicality of Mitchell's welcoming hug, there was still more emotion and relief conveyed in Teal'c's actions and mein. And that's not to say that Mitchell's hug was bad, wrong, or out of place. It wasn't. It was in fact a rather nice moment. It just can't hope to compete with the decade of history that the Carter and Teal'c characters share. Those are the kinds of moments that have been conspicuously absent from season 9. Mitchell was back to his original incarnation this week, a pleasant variation from Joke-Cam, Cambo, and the walking angst machine of previous weeks. His inclusion as a member of the team, and not as an outside force, makes all the difference with the character.

I'm not sure what I expected out of Carter in Ethon, but it wasn't a whole lot. Thus, I'm quite pleasantly surprised at how much she was involved in the story. Which I suppose again goes to the team nature of the episode and to how much more successful the show is when it pulls it off. She was great both on the Prometheus and in Caladonia, where her experience under fire and her innovative thinking were given equal opportunity to shine. Throw in some added significance to her time at Area 51 (which makes her earlier absences more palatable) and you've got yourself a winner.

Lastly, I would be remiss to not say something about the pointed inclusion of the command issue in this episode. Certainly the chair scene in Landry's office was a nod to all the fans clamoring for one character or the other to take outright command of SG-1. And, in typical Stargate fashion, nothing is resolved here. Points for consistency, I suppose. Add in the deliberate dialogue and direction of Col. Pendergast on board the Prometheus, and you've got yourself the most obvious illustration of co-command yet. So who's in command? Apparently they both are.

Speaking of direction, Ken Girrotti did a wonderful job on Ethon. I've felt for a while now that Martin Wood, Peter DeLuise and Andy Mikita, have been grossly overworked. While all fine directors, prepping, filming, and editing 10 hours of television a piece is truly a daunting task given the quick filming schedule of Stargate. Eventually, some things will suffer (see The Tower). If TPTB were so inclined as to hire another director to help alleviate the burden, it wouldn't bother me at all. I think a little more prep time and effort went a long way towards making Ethon a delightfully paced, well-inclusive story for all of the characters.

I've read a number of complaints about the beer, and can at least agree that it was an odd decision. But it's not enough to overcome the terrific execution this episode enjoyed. Off the Grid is next week. Not too sure how I feel about it yet. I think it has the potential to be both very good and very bad, though Skiffy's ad doesn't exactly inspire confidence. Still, trying to stay positive, which is a lot easier after Ethon than before it.

Comment

In this episode Sam is like a female MacGyver, and the F302 is like a giant Swiss Army Knife.
        Get YOUR P90 Here!
        Am i alone in hoping that the Seaquest seasons with the DeLuise brothers are finally released on dvd??

Nice hair!!

Comment

Ok i'm sick to death all of these whining people who don't want anything bad happening on the shows, and saying we must win all the time and take no losses. If you want a tv show like that, go and watch thunderbirds or Sonic. The Occasional Losses are vital to the show, so show that it is not always happy and chirpy, and is like real life

The prommie getting destroyed has shown us that, even though we can defeat the priors, we are very badly outnumbered and outgunned, and the fact the asgard shields didn't work, shows us that we can't just call the asgard to help us, incase we are attacked. The Most powerful ally we have, can be easily defeated. It was a Great Episode, the best of the season, and now shows us some of the firepower and technology, no matter what technology it is built by, that the Ori have.

Joe Mallozzi: "Like my grandmother used to say: Whenever a gate closes, a hyperspace window opens…"

Comment

To all ppl who think asgard shields are crappy and weak against ori weapons, why u think this o.O?

We all saw how weak the Prometheus was it couldnt even take out a Hatak ship or a bunch of death gliders and alkesh without getting damaged.

The "asgard" shields on Prometheus were very weak version and powered with weak power source.
            Still think the asgard can do seriously more damage to such weapons

Can someone tell me what they were talking at the end about the icon planet?
            Didnt understand it x.x,

Comment

Originally posted by Darkhawk
              To all ppl who think asgard shields are crappy and weak against ori weapons, why u think this o.O?

We all saw how weak the Prometheus was it couldnt even take out a Hatak ship or a bunch of death gliders and alkesh without getting damaged.

The "asgard" shields on Prometheus were very weak version and powered with weak power source.

Didnt understand it x.x,
              In 'Revalations' we've seen that Goa'uld Ha'taks can destroy Asgards ships, and the replicators can go strait though them, do these seem like the type of shields that can hold back weapons built by ascended beings, with infinate knowledge.

Joe Mallozzi: "Like my grandmother used to say: Whenever a gate closes, a hyperspace window opens…"

Comment

Originally posted by Darkhawk

Didnt understand it x.x,
                I believe they said that the talks had died between the Rannd and Caladonian nations and the Caladonians were attacked, with the Stargate being buried there along with possibly everyone else.
                Yes, I really do look like (a younger) Daniel. Don't believe me? Look for yourself.

Hey, Mitchell! You want a turn?

Comment

Originally posted by golfbooy
                  Well, to begin, they blew up the Prometheus. Unlike many others, I can't say that I'm sorry to see her go. Blame it on the many years I spent watching this show long before she entered the story, but I'd never developed any great attachment to her.
                  Heh. My reaction was Prommie go boom. Let's eat!

I liked Ernie Hudson and thought he did well
                  I'm not sure if they just did a better job with casting this time, or if it's just me not having any specific character or personality to connect him with (Wayne Brady will always be overwhelmingly Wayne Brady, so I couldn't believe him as a Jaffa) that made me believe him as the character he was supposed to be here, and not someone former character he played or just, hey! it's that guy!

I thought Daniel was good on the planet, if a little more constrained than I would have liked.
                  Grr. Again, i have to complain about a part written for Daniel to go all out in full blown Daniel-ness (not that I personally think he's been acting out of character before, with some minor incidents -well, except for TFH2. I mean, I felt that episode was a major out of character) and then don't do it justice.

His reaction to the apparent deaths of his friends was great and very much in character. No gnashing of teeth or beating of breast, just the same reserved, quiet sadness which he displayed after the deaths of both Sha're and Janet Frasier.
                  Ah, yes. To me, the best part of the episode. Ijust loved it, and I hadn't even connected it to the way he acted to Sha're and Janet. And, I think the way the scene was shot, keeping him in the background and just cutting to him, head turned away, with Jarrod and Pernaux doing the action of the scene was kind of a visual of Daniel sort of hiding himself away, since he couldn't literally do it.

Also, Michael Shanks' delivery of the "Not till I'm dead.........and sometimes not even then" line was spot on. It was by far Daniel's best line of the season, and it makes me all the sorrier that Michael Shanks will miss some episodes next season, good reasons notwithstanding.
                  Okay, again, I have to be the odd man out, because I've decided I didn't like this line. Or, rather, I didn't like the placement. Because it was a "cute" moment, a little wink to the audience. Put it in a scene that's not so serious, a bit more light hearted, have someone get somewhat exasperated (also in a scene where exasperation would be fitting) and ask him if he ever gives up, and then have him say the line. That would have been fun. I don't think a cute moment fit here.

Chris Judge, however, continues to make the most out of what little he's given each week. His reaction to seeing Carter alive and well following the Prometheus' destruction was terrific. Despite the obvious physicality of Mitchell's welcoming hug, there was still more emotion and relief conveyed in Teal'c's actions and mein. And that's not to say that Mitchell's hug was bad, wrong, or out of place. It wasn't. It was in fact a rather nice moment. It just can't hope to compete with the decade of history that the Carter and Teal'c characters share.
                  Yes, I had no problem with Mitchell hugging her. (I also didn't see it mean anything "special") They're teammates and friends. He was afraid she might have been dead. He should have hugged her. But, the real meat of the scene was Teal'c's reaction. It seemed to convey just how he had been feeling when they thought she might have died. And, I like any Sam/Teal'c (not that way!) interactions they manage to give us. They have great chemistry.

I'm not sure what I expected out of Carter in Ethon, but it wasn't a whole lot.
                  I liked her with the soldier who had been in Avalon (I suck at names. Heck, I didn't even know Pendergast was named that until I read it here). I liked them working together, and her "I got you." Of course, I still don't like everything happening on that stupid boring ship with stupid boring explosions.
                  Last edited by Dani347; 04 February 2006, 11:47 AM.
                  I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

Originally posted by beale947
                    In 'Revalations' we've seen that Goa'uld Ha'taks can destroy Asgards ships, and the replicators can go strait though them, do these seem like the type of shields that can hold back weapons built by ascended beings, with infinate knowledge.
                    Anubis modifed the Hatak shields and weapons.
                    Thor said they got newer ones and his one was out of date if i remember right.
                    Replicators can go through shield yes but who says they cant go throught ancient ones?
                    And like we know the asgard dont want their tech to be used against them thats why we got weaker version of their tech =)

Comment

Originally posted by alz0rz
                      Ernie Hudson (Pendergast) is my hero.
                      Ernie Hudson wasn't Pendergast.

Ernie Hudson is the black guy from Ghostbusters, and he played the Rand General, Pernaux.

Barlcay Hope was Pendergast.
                      ~bri~

Comment

Kane: Do you ever give up?
                        Daniel: Not until I'm dead (thinks for a moment).And sometimes not even then.

Best line of the episode!

The death of Lional Pendergast, who stayed behind to hold the Prometheus together and make sure everyone else got out alive, and that final heartrending scene of him on the bridge before the complete distruction of the ship contained EVERYTHING that the writers tried and failed to convey in Heros.

Ethon was a great team episode. The way Daniel, Sam, Teal'c and Mitchell worked together, even when Daniel was on the planet away from them was what I have been waiting to see.

The story was well written and the characters were well thought out, except did anyone else but me think the Rand President was almost an exact copy of Kinsey? I kept expecting him to turn into Ronny Cox.

The final bonding scene between Mitchell and Daniel was awesome.
                        ______
                        Visit my Entertainment News blog at http://blogs.delphiforums.com/mrreedwriter

Join in the discussion at MichaelShanksArchive

Comment

So what the hell is up with Sci-Fi spoiling the entire episode in their extremely retarded trailers? Has anyone e-mailed them about this? They ruined the twists to Ethon, Ex Deus Machina and Ripple Effect in the trailers (luckily I didn't catch the Ethon one). Seriously. How stupid can you get?

EDIT: And to whomever said that Perneaux was the guy in Ghostbusters, THANK YOU. I was trying to think of where I recognised him from.
                          why won't my sig rotator work

Comment

Originally posted by Dani347
                            Heh. My reaction was Prommie go boom. Let's eat!
                            Seriously, I'd be happy to have SG-1 and the SGC have to go without a ship for a good long while. Sadly, I fear it's not to be.

Okay, again, I have to be the odd man out, because I've decided I didn't like this line. Or, rather, I didn't like the placement. Because it was a "cute" moment, a little wink to the audience. Put it in a scene that's not so serious, a bit more light hearted, have someone get somewhat exasperated (also in a scene where exasperation would be fitting) and ask him if he ever gives up, and then have him say the line. That would have been fun. I don't think a cute moment fit here.
                            I didn't see it as a "cute" line. Sure, there was a bit of a wink at the audience, but I didn't find the line to be out of place. I saw it more as personally reflective, which I thought fit well with the percieved loss of his friends. And I liked that in spite of that apparent tragedy, Daniel recognized that other lives were still on the line.

Yes, I had no problem with Mitchell hugging her. (I also didn't see it mean anything "special") They're teammates and friends. He was afraid she might have been dead. He should have hugged her. But, the real meat of the scene was Teal'c's reaction. It seemed to convey just how he had been feeling when they thought she might have died. And, I like any Sam/Teal'c (not that way!) interactions they manage to give us. They have great chemistry.
                            The Sam/Teal'c dynamic is grossly ignored by the writers much of the time. I think Amanda Tapping and Chris Judge are able to inject a lot of their own friendship into the Carter/Teal'c relationship, and that makes the two characters feel as if they really do care about each other. It's one instance where I feel that the actors elevate the scenes, no matter how well written they are. And, like you, I'll take any Sam/Teal'c interaction I can get.

Comment

This ep was great! It kept me on the edge of my seat. It wasn't predictable in any way for me. I was totaly blown away when the Prometheous got destroyed, good thing they got more. What's this I heard about Earth having more Deadlus class ships? When did this happen? Great special effects but it didn't made me laugh. The Asgard need to give Earth better shields and weapons.

Comment

Great ep. One question. Why didn't Prometheus use the Asgard beaming thingy to beam a nuke inside the satellite's shield, like how the Daedalus attacked the Wraith ships?

Comment

Working...
                                X