No announcement yet.

Collateral Damage (912)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I wanted more character exploration, and I got it. Sort of. I’ve actually been looking forward to an episode devoted to Mitchell since the beginning of the season, since his character needs to get the same level of development as the rest of the cast. Plot concerns overwhelmed the beginning of the season for just about everyone, so this is pretty much the first chance to explore Mitchell’s past. So why was I a bit disappointed with the final product?

Well, part of it was the familiarity. I don’t recall “SG-1” doing this kind of thing before, but I definitely remember a similar plot device used on “Star Trek: Voyager”. (I believe the character in question was Harry Kim, but I can honestly say I don’t have a detailed memory of anything from that series.) There were some interesting questions about the nature of memory and how it might be manipulated with the right technology, but was it enough? I’m not sure.

For me, this was like listening to a live recording of a song that I’ve heard dozens and dozens of times. There are minor variations within the performance, but the song remains the same, and sometimes I’m just not in the mood for it. I can understand why the writers went for a stand-alone episode, after a big chunk of Ori mythology, but this just didn’t strike me as interesting or revelatory.

So Mitchell is working out Daddy issues. (Yeah, that won’t remind anyone of Crichton!) He’s also dealing with guilt from activities during wartime, it seems, which is somewhat more interesting. But given the current success of “Lost”, a series that excels at exploring a character’s past with a flair for good pacing and plenty of surprises, I couldn’t help but compare the manner in which Mitchell’s past experiences were detailed.

The point is that I didn’t feel as though the revelation of Mitchell’s record and his feelings of guilt were properly paced. The key to his own confusion was the underlying guilt of his past association with a lethal mistake. While there was some emotional fallout, particularly in terms of his relationship to his father, the final act concerned the memory-altering technology and the ethics thereof.

I think the story would have had more impact if the revelation about Mitchell didn’t come until the end, and the situation was less clear cut. In many respects, this episode shows a Mitchell with doubts about himself and a crushing sense of responsibility, which he clearly masks with humor. That works for me, but why not darken the character a bit by making his choice to release the bomb his own, rather than an order given on bad intel?

I’m not saying that I want “SG-1” to stop being what it is. It’s not exactly a series devoted to deep character development or characters with crushing psychological issues. Even O’Neill only had his issues dredged up when it was convenient; most of the time, that side of his character was well-concealed. But this is a case where the writers had the perfect motive, means, and opportunity for a “Lost”-esque episode: questions about the reality of memory, the need to give a new character some definition and history, and a stand-alone chance at something out of the typical format. The main issue is that it wasn’t taken as far as the writers seem to think it was.

Comment

Originally posted by nccjones
      Ok...this was aweful! How many times do we have to learn about Mitchell's past through flashbacks?

Oh, and can I say deja vu??? This was Voyager all over again, but I felt more for Tom Paris than I did Mitchell.

Did anyone else catch the major slam to Daniel in the conference room? First Mitchell slams Daniel then the Landry backs up Mitchell and pretty much puts Daniel in his place.

Then the camera shaking all over the place. I don't watch BG (since I'm a fan of the original and refuse to watch the new one), but I've seen enough of the commercials to know that they like to do the motion camera thing and I don't like it for SG1.

Right now I'm watching Atlantis and it's way better (I loved Rodney's "Conan and Xena" comment).

I also found it odd that Mitchell was so willing to pull strings for this girl. And then go off with her. Man, I'm praying he's not some Kirk wannabe. (Even though I loved Kirk).
      I caught the slam of Daniel thing going on. And once again he is right, but does anyone give him credit-------NOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Comment

Originally posted by Droops
        Um, isn't that what we JUST WATCHED this evening?
        Nope, it's not what I saw. I saw an episode that was totally a Mitchell show to learn about his past because the TPTB feel that we can't learn about him as we go along. I really don't call this a team episode, because how many words did Teal'c say? What did Daniel really do except run back and forth to the emmissary with Teal'c on his heals? I didn't get the team feeling. Sorry.

I was ready to drop the issue, and as Dani347 says in his signature "I'll say what I dang well please about an episode, and if you don't like it well ain't that too bad. And, no, I won't shut up and accept things." So this is how I feel about the episode and Mitchell....so let's leave it at that.

Comment

Without going into too much detail...it was a very good episode...is this the first standalone ep this season? I think it might be...Ex Deus Machina was kinda setting up the Ba'al angle...

Good Mitchell backstory, good dialogue (come on, Daniels' "On Earth we prove guilt" line wasn't THAT bad ), and good to have SG-1 back working as a team, rather than split all over the place.

I got lucky with my prediction for the villian, I guessed it quite early on, but that was more by luck than judgement, as I thought that the
          Spoiler:
          Emissary
          being guilty was too obvious.

Looking forward to Ripple Effect!

Oh, and while I'm still on the subject - just remember everyone, not all of us have seen every science fiction show in existence, some of us haven't even seen every Stargate episode yet.

Just because an idea has been used in Star Trek doesn't immediately make a Stargate ep with similar idea null and void. Even if an episode of Stargate Atlantis has a similar theme to an SG-1 episode, doesn't immediately make the episode bad (e.g. Entity -> Intruder). In science fiction there probably aren't too many ideas left that haven't been touched on, so there's bound to be some overlap.
          Last edited by James_the_Wraith_Sympathiser; 14 January 2006, 06:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ShardsofGlass
            The "kirking" criticism kills me. So, because Kirk slept around a lot, no character is ever allowed to have a bit of romance in a Scifi show?! Sheesh. Poor Cam. I bet he hasn't been with a girl in a long time, and the time he meets someone nice, she's murdered! I wouldn't call that "kirking"!
            Agree completely.

Comment

Originally posted by Formerhost
              Agree completely.
              I concur.

Comment

Originally posted by prion
                Okay, basic ripoff of a Star trek Voyager episode which probably ripped off something else, but with an interesting twist at the end, and some good backstory on Mitchell which (please excuse me while I diverge over to SGA for a second - WHY can't they do the same for Sheppard??? - rant over).

But overall, decent for a remake and I like the Mitchell stuff.
                You mean there's someone out there that actually watched Voyager?

Seriously, I thought it was great. For the first time, we have an honest to goodness one-off episode where we get some background on Cameron beyond the official service record. This is what I have been waiting half a season to see. There still wasn't much for Sam fans but hopefully she'll get to shine in future episodes. In the meantime, it's very important to develop our main character. We need to know who he is and what makes him tick, and Collateral Damage was a great start.
                Shallow are the Ori!
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Droops
                  Um, isn't that what we JUST WATCHED this evening?
                  Exactly!

Very good episode. I'm finally starting to really like Mitchell.

Comment

I thought this was a good character driven episode and enjoyed learning more about what makes Mitchell tick. It was nice to see why he is so driven. I'm glad that there wasn't so many one-liners quips in this episode, somehow those just seem off to me coming from the new guy and Mitchell seems to me to be a more serious person than that.

I liked the camera work on the memory shots, all jerky and washed out.

I didn't mind the kirking really, it moved the plot along but you know since man first went to the stars, he's dreamed of making it with a hot alien chick!! I think it would have been better if Mitchell and the lady hadn't of been making out or anything and the husband misinterpted it and killed her, would have been more bittersweet for the ending in my book.

I thought it was interesting that an Asgard protected world had progressed so far technologically since the othere protected planets we've seen have been stuck in the stone age or middle ages. Makes me wonder how many other worlds were protected by the Asgard in order to advance far enough to challenge the Gou'ald.

Comment

Good post OriKiller.

Agreed that Sam has had less chance in the spotlight, however to be fair, hadn't she had some time off for maternity? perhaps the writers deliberately gave her some less demanding duties for the first part of season 9...

Comment

Trying to be positive - This is the first of Season 9 that I managed to stay awake throughout. I thought it was indeed the best of the season.
                        However it did bring to mind 'Kirk syndrome' and shades of the 'Vorlex' (if I forget I did wrong, I guess I'm innocent)
                        sigpic
                        Distinguished Service Ribbon Goa'uld Campaign
                        My Stories zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Artwork by Mala

Comment

While I've enjoyed season 9, I definitely felt that the "feel" of the episodes was less SG-1ish. Remarkably, that was not the case in this episode. In addition to that, we get a look into Mitchell's character.

I usually just ignore romance unless it's necessary to the plot. Perhaps our dear Cam is following in the footsteps of John. No matter.

All in all, I liked this one. I still have favorites from earlier in the season, but this one was nice and solid. The second half seems less Ori-ful (save perhaps Ethon, Crusade, and Camelot), and I do like the Ori, but I'd like a pleasant break in between to develop character.

Bloody lookin' forward to next week, anyone see the ad where Mitchell shot... Mitchell? I never really considered that an AU SG-1 could be hostile. Plus, of course, we've got RIPPLE EFFECT SPOILER:
                          Spoiler:
                          Janet and Martouf
                          coming back. Bring on Friday.
                          Beyond the Horizon Lies the Gateway to a New Galaxy
                          Stargate Horizon, Co-Executive Producer
                          Latest Episode: 4.06 - "Eden"
                          Stargate Destiny, Fan
                          Latest Episode: 1.20 - "Alliances, Part One"

Comment

This is the second episode in a row where I was watching the clock, I am sad to say.

I like Mitchell quite a bit and I think Ben is a terrific actor--I was particularly impressed by his performance after he recalled the accidental airstrike.

But

I think this type of story would work best for me as, say, an episode of the Outer Limits or something because it just didn't feel like SG-1 to me.

If they want me to feel for Cam, they have to let Daniel, Sam and Teal'c feel for Cam and I didn't get that sense from them. There were some half-hearted attempts but I never got a real sense of urgency or concern. Maybe it would help if they let SG-1 actually share a few scenes together.

The flashbacks to Cam's past had some nice moments, but didn't give us a whole lot of new information other than Cam is following the example set by
                            Dad to be a guy that doesn't give up.

Things I did like:

As mentioned before, Ben's performance.

I liked the doctor--I remember her from the TV series "The Sentinel"--I thought she had some nice scenes with Cam. But honestly, these people have got to stop with the kissy face off world, it just gets them into all kinds of trouble.

I kept changing my mind about who I thought was guilty, and I was intrigued by the twist at the end that there is a murderer than doesn't remember his crime. The ending was kind of dark and made me wonder what other kinds of things this government will do with the memory technology--could be scary.

So, a mixed review on this one. Some nice bits, but the big picture was lacking something.
                            Jace

When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people.

Abraham Joshua Heschel

Comment

I thought this was the 2nd best ep of the season (best is Prototype) the opening was unlike any SG1\SGA I've seen before (the closest I would say is SGA's Aurora), the opening reminded me of the game Manhunt, if you know that game, the opening\memory was similar to that game (and it's similar murders).

I kept thinking "Evil Emmisary" and then the twist, I did'nt think that the guy would have removed his own memory.

AND to all you "kirk haters" HE WAS'NT KIRKING. He was being USED. The girl knew he would be able to help her keep her position and control (similary to how Weir on SGA has her position backed by the international council group), and how better to "seal the deal" for her to give him some lovin.

Plus we don't know when the husband walked back in, it could have been 2 mins later, he walks in, sees her starting mictchell up, so he stuns him, then argues with her, then out comes the statue.

Good twist with the guy who did it, then removed the evidence, and then worked to find the truth, then the chilling realisation he did it himself. Then the very cold and calculated "memory swap" giving him the "it was an accident". I wonder if they do that to the other guy, he now has to work with a guy he knows murdered someone.

EDIT - I almost totally forgot.

Of all the planes to make me enjoy this ep more, VIPER! Hell Yes. The only plane I would like more is an A-10, but then he would be a mud mover not a fly boy.
                              Last edited by macktheknife; 14 January 2006, 07:43 AM.

Advice For The New Millenium: A watched torrent never downloads.

Comment

"it moved the plot along but you know since man first went to the stars, he's dreamed of making it with a hot alien chick!!"

After 7 years of a well-written intelligent sci-fi drama that never had to rely on these types of ordinary, cheesy sci-fi cliches now, IMO, the show feels it needs to become just another less-than-mediocre sci-fi by bringing in and relying on cheap cliches to move the plot along or to just plain make the show look stupid (and that is MO as I have watched it for 8 years and now have watched it degenerate in a very short span of time -- it is not a comment on those who may like it -- I think it's silly, foolish and stupid sci-fi cliche - others don't. That's the great thing about a free democratic nation - everyone is free to have their own opinions and is free to state them.)

Comment

Working...
                                X