Collateral Damage (912)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Token
    Well, you are not alone. I don't like the Mitchell character either. I can't seem to put my finger on it except that I keep saying "That sounds like what Jack would say or do." I understand from a business sense that TPTB needed to replace RDA's presence on the show, but Browder's character seems too Jack-like. Sheppard has Jack qualities while maintaining a uniqueness. Not knowing the backstory of Sheppard or any of the others hasn't diminished my enjoyment of Atlantis. I feel Mitchell is being forced on me. I'm waiting for Mitchell to be something more than a Jack replacement. JMHO.

Oh, and I miss Carter's technobabble.

Yup - you guys are not alone on this.

Comment

what was the twist?

Comment

I'm commenting before I read everyone else's reviews. I hope you don't mind.

The plot was very derivative. I've seen the memory device before, most memorably (pun intended) in the movie "Brainstorm".

When a plot has been used before, I look for some originality, a twist that will surprise me. Well I was surprised by the identity of the murderer, but unfortunately, I wasn't made to care. There was no real suspense about it. What I did like was the bittersweet look into the life of Cameron Mitchell and his memories of his Dad.

David, are you reading this? That seems to be an interesting recurring theme with Ben Browder. His character on "Farscape", John Crichton had a close relationship with his astronaut father. His SG1 character, Mitchell had a close relationship with his injured test pilot father. The actor even mentioned his own Dad (giving him advice) in his interview with GW's David Read.

That was what I liked about the episode. Otherwise it was a little drab. The costumes were ordinary. The people were ordinary people who looked descendant of Europeans on Earth. The interiors looked like they were out of "Metropolitan Homes" magazine. And of course, they spoke English. There was no feeling of being on an alien planet. When the Asgard were mentioned at one point, I thought, "Oh! Alien planet. Yes, I forgot."

Amanda Tapping, Christopher Judge and Michael Shanks' characters were on the planet with Mitchell, but had little to do. Back on Earth at "Stargate Command" Gary Jones (Walter) had a funny bit with Beau Bridges. And finally Beau Bridges had a nice Hammond-like scene with Mitchell.

Overall the show was enjoyable, if not original or terribly exciting.
        Hatshepsut, Queen Pharaoh

Comment

I guess I'm in the minority here 'cause I thought this was a snoozer.

It was obvious from the get-go that Mitchell didn't kill the woman and I had no interest in who did do it because I didn't know those people at all. I Mitchell's snogging with the woman was unnecessary, not something we've ever seen Jack or Daniel do while on a mission (unless drugged). They could have had the same results without it.

For me it was just one very long and boring hour; really bad writing, I thought. I'm really trying hard to like Mitchell, but I just can't get into him. Don't dislike him, but I find nothing at all compelling about him. I wish I could like him...

Comment

Another reason I didn't see any hint of ship between Sam and Mitchell (aside from the fact that I don't register ship just because someone happens to show concern for someone else) was Sam's complete lack of being upset over Mitchell's obvious interest in Soon to be Dead Woman. I mean, the grin she gave him when Daniel questioned Mitchell's "diplomacy" didn't look like something that she would give if she had "feeeeelings" for him. Thank goodness.
            I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man
              You see, I don't see that. Yeah, Mitchell is good at quirky, funny remarks in dangerous situations like Jack was. But that's just part of his character. Unlike Jack, Cam seems genuinely interested in things Daniel discovers, and loves knowing everything he can about a situation. I mean, the guy's read every mission report of SG-1's. Also, he's the kind of guy who doesn't like to use force unless absolutely necessary. For example, in "Beachhead", CM was hoping he'd have a "nuke-free career". Jack was always ready to bomb the he** out of the enemy. I totally respect your opinion, but I guess I just see things differently.
              That's a really nice description of how the two characters differ. And I think this episode really illuminated his motivation to overcome obstacles, but also showed some of the source of his self-doubt that seems to be at the core of Mitchell's character. Much better exposition of his backstory than the season opener, which touched on a lot of these same themes.

Comment

so what was the twist?

Comment

Hm. Isn't the reluctanfce to use force tied back to his friendly fire instance?

Comment

Well, that wasn't too bad at all. First episode that I had the real feeling that I was watching SG1 of old

However, some nitpicks...

I thought it was slightly stupid of Mitchell to be so eager to get involved in internal politics of an alien nation. Thats not the way to handle diplomatic negotiations and I was suprised that Mitchell didn't seem to grasp that. Of course it was good to see Landry being slightly pissed about it (ie they didn't just ignore that plot hole). And even though Mitchell did say that he's no good at diplomacy, surely something as simple and obvious as that would have been hammered into him...

The other thing is that while the ending was suprising, it was kinda lame. Points for not making it the Big Important Guy (however, I wasn't expecting it to be. There's always a twist ), but the brush over of the crime seemed rather anti-climatic. I was expecting something that had a little more 'oomph' to it.

However they were my two main beefs. The rest of the episode wasn't too bad at all. Some nice Mitchell development (finally) and some nice interaction between him and Carter (I'm really interested in getting some info on how they know each other. They definitely have a good friendship going on)
                    The F-16 action was pretty cool

I'll give it a 6-7/10. Really looking foward to Ripple Effect next week though

Comment

After seeing the episode again I ask, Why is it that in the flashbacks, when you see Cameron his face appears to be highlighted by a flashlight type of light source? I mean somebody had to be holding a flashlight, right? I know the purpose of that is to make sure that the viewers know that its Cameron but why use a flashlight?

Comment

Originally posted by NakedJehutyV2
                        so what was the twist?
                        The kinsey guy didnt do it ,though he was setup as the most obvious suspect. (Well at least we dont think he did it, unless he somehow implanted the memories in the husband and then erased them and then implanted them in Mitchell...but that would be too twisty)...

It really wasnt that much of a twist. Once he said he was the husband he immediatly should become a suspect (especially as it makes the whole kissing thing actually realvant). But the whole "hes trying to help find the truth, because he erased his own memories and doesent remember the truth is hes the murder" thing was kinda cool.
                        Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

This was a good episode, it seemed twisted kill someone then erase all memory of it and implant it into someone else.

Comment

Posting before I read what everyone else said.

I actually enjoyed this. Some nice background into Mitchell and a nice snapshot of what he's made of.

This almost felt like SG-1 for a change. They were off-world, there was a crisis, they worked as a team to solve it and came home.

Not bad. Not bad at all.
                            sigpic

Comment

I was a bit....surprised, I think. I felt like I was watching Farscape

I love BB, I think he's great and I like seeing his character on Stargate develop, but it did feel a bit forced and I didn't entirely feel the Stargate vibe. But the weird thing is that at the same time I really enjoyed it, even though it didn't fully feel as Stargate. Even the camerawork didn't feel Stargate-y. And deep down I have to admit I enjoyed seeing an "emotional" side of Stargate. Makes a nice change from explosions and guns.

Oh and whoever said they looked like European descendants...puh-lease, we Europeans have a better fashion taste than what those people were wearing

Comment

I quite liked the show...!

Let the good times roll..!
                                The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed! Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is so vast, and we are so small, there is only truly one thing we can control; whether we are good or evil... -Oma Desala
                                Spoiler:

To all the 'Sci & Tech' forum users: If you are searching for a thread about your topic of interest, please come visit our Concordance Thread. If you have any questions, we will attempt to help you.
                                http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=26498

Feel free to pass the green..!

My Website... http://return-of-the-constitution.webs.com
                                My Blog @ http://myhatsize.blogspot.com
                                Amazing Literary Works of Fel... http://sennadar.com/wp/

Also, visit my webpage at... http://www.stargatesg1.com/Seastallion Sadly, this page is gone with the website that supported it, but I'll keep the link up in memorial.

Comment

Working...
                                X