Collateral Damage (912)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by the fifth man
    But doesn't that make it all the more exciting when the truth is revealed?
    I've seen waaay too many PBS "Mystery" eps to not come close to the right answer to "who is the killer?" question. But that's why a little twist at the end can be so much fun. You've guessed the answer, but they added a little special something to tweak it up a notch.

That's why I liked this ep even though I knew all along who the killer was.

Comment

Originally posted by Token
      I can't seem to put my finger on it except that I keep saying "That sounds like what Jack would say or do."
      I don't find Cam Mitchell to be anything like Jack, except that he's in the Air Force. Maybe that is because I'm "over" Jack by now. I really don't miss him anymore.

Several good episodes in a row now. Nice to see the show has hit its stride again.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

A good solid stand alone episode. It was great to get some back story on Mitchell, tying into the flashbacks we saw in Avalon and Babylon. Hopefully we'll see his father again.

In fact the only thing I can pick about is the fact that they turn up to a formal reception in their green jumpsuits instead of something smarter. You would have expected at least Cam and Sam to be in dress uniform.

On the subject of the 'Kirking' clearly what TPTB need to do is propose a spin-off, maybe 'Stargate: Crashers', where each week Cam and Shep drunk dial gate addresses to crash and pick up chicks . I think the 7pm slot is open .

Comment

Originally posted by nccjones
          . . . I would rather see team episodes of them going to other planets and just learn about him along the way. How he deals with situations. . . . .
          Um, isn't that what we JUST WATCHED this evening?

Comment

i just finished watching the ep...

good ep!

THIS is how i want to like mitchell. THIS is the mitchell i like!

i found the story intriguing and well done. if i hadn't been spoiled by the ep, i don't think i would have figured out who really did it.

i'm very sensitive to mitchell's one-linering, but what he said before the ep got serious didn't bother me at all.

there isn't anything for me to criticise about this ep. (well, other than not enough sam )

i actually felt sorry for the husband.

LOVED the flashbacks.

now that i've said that, though, it won't go down as one of my fave eps. and that's not a diss on the ep. i think i'm more 'relieved' by liking and enjoying mitchell again than actually grooving on the ep.

my score: 6/10

sally -->
            sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by rexpop
              In fact the only thing I can pick about is the fact that they turn up to a formal reception in their green jumpsuits instead of something smarter. You would have expected at least Cam and Sam to be in dress uniform.
              Yes, they is no danger of them overwhelming their many new alien contacts with their dazzling sense of style, is there?

I kept wondering whose house they were using for the shoot...

Comment

I liked this one better than last weeks ep. There hasn't been any eps I've hated this year but, sadly, none I've been overexcited about either. I really wish that I could come on here and be a giddy fan girl again. Oh well, enough whining.

I love me some Ben Browder so I was really looking forward to seeing what he would do with this and I wasn't disapointed. Early on I was worried that it was going to heavy on the quippage and not so much on the seeing Ben's range but it changed pace pretty quickly. The shippy stuff with the lady doc was entirely unnecessary IMO, he could have just walked her home and it would have served the story just as well. I've been complaining all season that we didn't have any back story on Cam and now we finally have some. I only hope that the tragedy in his past is reflected in his personality and actions somewhere down the line and that it wasn't just filler for this episode. With Jack I often felt that his flippancy was a sort of mask for the death of his son and the horrible things he's seen and probably done in his past but I don't really want to see that with Cam. I don't mind the occasional quip but I don't want Jack 2.0. Anyway, I liked the fact that I didn't see the end coming. I mean, I had a feeling it wasn't uptight government guy, that would have been too easy, but I didn't see the ex doing it and then erasing his own memory of it. Kudos for that, I haven't been surprised by an ending to anything in quite some time.

I didn't like that all Sam seemed to do this ep was stand around and emote. I love Sam. She's my favorite. However, there's only so much standing around she can do while making concerned eyes and being supportive before you just start wishing that she'd start spouting technobabble or something FCOL.

I had high hopes that Chris might actually start getting some lines this season but it looks like I hoped in vain. He makes good-looking background scenery though.

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

Originally posted by Shipperahoy
                  I only hope that the tragedy in his past is reflected in his personality and actions somewhere down the line and that it wasn't just filler for this episode.
                  Yes. This explained to me the whole persistance thing, but I want to know something else about who Mitchell is. Something different, and to see it play a part in his characterization throughout the series.

With Jack I often felt that his flippancy was a sort of mask for the death of his son and the horrible things he's seen and probably done in his past but I don't really want to see that with Cam.
                  Yes, like that. Not the same thing, but something where you could look at him acting a certain way in an episode and think that it makes sense because of what we know about him.
                  I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

It was a good episode. I didn't like it as much as last week's episode, but for a stand-alone piece, it did well.

I loved the plot twist. When I read the earlier spoilers, I rolled my eyes and thought "Great. A ST:TNG rip off." However, the writers found a way to make an old story unique, so I loved the plot.

Ok, I have to agree that Carter, Daniel, and Teal'c didn't do much this week, but we have to have a Mitchell episode sooner or later. We gained valuable character insight, and we didn't have to sit through tons of exposition either. For all of the fans complaining about the show telling and not showing last week, SG-1 showed character development and depth this time.

I have to give it a 9/10 because I liked it, but I won't strain myself to catch it during the reruns. However, I'm looking forward to Ripple Effect, and I hope Season 9 continues the good work.
                    "Trust me. I'm a psychopath." Jekyll

"And I thought the end of the world couldn't get any worse" Ianto-Torchwood

Comment

Originally posted by MasySyma
                      I loved the plot twist. When I read the earlier spoilers, I rolled my eyes and thought "Great. A ST:TNG rip off." However, the writers found a way to make an old story unique, so I loved the plot.
                      I think for me, I'm less of a plot person when watching a show, and more of a character person. A derivative plot doesn't bother me if I feel the character is doing a good job. And, it helps that I either have never seen or don't remember the other shows or movies the plot has been in. But, to seeing Mitchell's reactions going through it, and feeling that those reactions made sense and were compelling are more important than if it was original. Funny, in my own writing, I'm the exact opposite. I'm much better with plot than character.

BTW, this is not a criticism of people who are bothered by a plot being unoriginal. Perfectly valid thing to mention or focus on, if it's important to you. Just why I see it this way.

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Comment

Loved the Walter medical-speak.

Liked the part with Cam/Dad at the end.

Landry is still not doing it for me.

Originally posted by Token
                        "That sounds like what Jack would say or do."
                        There were a couple of remarks in the beginning that were very Jack to me, but then again I could be somewhat prejudiced.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kazbaby
                          I can't understand how you see it as forcing his history down our throats, and it's not all angst in his history. Yes, he had something traumatic in his childhood, but from the look of it, it made for a strong relationship with his father and they showed us why, and how, he was determined to survive and learn to walk again after his own crash.

And in no way am I saying that they're showing us '9 years worth of history', but rather they’re showing what we need to in order to get to know him more intimately as we know the others.
                          I agree with you, kaz. This was one of the best eps this season (and I'm a Vala/CB fan!). I was interested, the camera work was good, the dialogue wasn't too pretentious or overly techno-babbly, the acting was good. I agree, D & T didn't have a lot to do but I liked Sam's involvement. I thought I had the bad guy pegged from the get-go and, happy to say, I was wrong. That emissary guy always plays the villain and he just looks evil.

I think we do need to get some Cam backstory. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I KNOW it's about the gate already. I thought BB did a good job with the role and I appreciated the backstory, although the words, "every man gets a chance to be his own kind of hero" kinda flashed thru my head

I like a little angst in my sci-fi. I also like a little kissing. It worked for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Droops
                            Um, isn't that what we JUST WATCHED this evening?
                            I would sure think so. But that's just me.
                            sigpic
                            MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                            "...phu...ah..."
                            "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                            Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by esoap524
                              I agree, D & T didn't have a lot to do but I liked Sam's involvement.
                              You know, for a character centric episode, I really didn't get an impression of any wallpapering. The brunt of the action was on Mitchell, but I still had a sense of Daniel and Teal'c arguing with the other guy to get the info necessary. I felt like they were doing something, although Teal'c can always be affored more lines than he gets. And, Sam didn't really do much, but she was there to lend support to Mitchell. I didn't get the impression of them standing around without a function, even if we mostly saw Mitchell.

The need to get to the bottom of things could be just the thing to show another time where he does something wrong. Where he goes too far, or hurts someone (I mean emotionally) or something in a quest to get answers. Sometimes not knowing is better, and he might not be able to see that, because it's a part of his character.

I didn't dislike it exactly, but it seemed unecessary in the flashback for him to end it by saying that he'd have to live with his actions "for the rest of my life." That last part seemed to be spelling it out. Just him saying he would have to live with it would be sufficient. I would have known he meant for the rest of his life and not, say, until 4 pm next Tuesday.
                              Last edited by Dani347; 13 January 2006, 09:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nccjones
                                Ok...Am I really the only one who noticed the Daniel slam dunk in the conference room? I'm starting to wonder if people didn't think it was a big deal. I mean, Daniel was voicing his concern and there was only on a few planets so far Mitchell who was already hot after the alian babe slamming him for his concerns, and then Landry saying..yes, we know that for 9 years that there's been questionable alian devices..but that's what they go to the planets (well, along those lines...not exact quote).

I just felt that he was totally disrespected in that scene. JMO.
                                I saw it and I agree with you.

Comment

Working...
                                X