Collateral Damage (912)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Simhavaktra
    ...Maybe it was just me, but it seemed like Amanda was acting/reacting/playing Sam towards/with regards to Mitchell like Jack had really been there when they were filming, and then they’d CGI’d Jack out of, and Mitchell into, the ep before broadcasting it. Her reactions would have made sense toward Jack at any time after Solitudes, especially after the shippy references developed, but they came off as wrong, inappropriate and OTT to me, when they were directed at Mitchell...
    I don't think they have any intention of hooking up Samantha and Mitchell romantically. We saw in Avalon that Sam and Mitchell knew each other before he joined the SGC and I think they knew each other from quite a while ago [like maybe when they both joined the Air Force?]. I saw Sam's attention to be very supportive and indicative of a very good friendship. In CD, we saw how they are comfortable leaning on each other, and in many other scenes in other eps, we have seen how friendly and comfortable they are teasing each other. I just see a couple of very good friends here. Not that I would mind a romance, because they are very cute together, but it just isn't going to happen, in my opinion.

Comment

I really enjoyed this episode. We got to see a bit of Mitchell backstory and (finally) BB got a chance to flex his acting muscles (more of that, please PTB), all within a quite a good little story (so long as you don't look too closely for the plot holes...).

Others seem very disturbed by Mitchell's conduct at the reception in leaving with the Dr for a spot of 'kirking' and drinking whilst on duty - well, I don't feel as strongly as some about it but it is certainly not strictly professional behaviour. However I think this unease with Mitchell's actions is what we're meant to feel as this is doubtless what Cam himself feels about it afterwards. He knows he shouldn't have done it. He knows if he hadn't done it the Dr would still be alive. He feels that responsibility as he does for the convoy of refugees he was mistakenly told to fire upon. Neither were, strictly speaking, his fault but he played a part and feels responsible.

Elsewhere in this thread people have said that they hope that the backstory affects Cam and his choices but I think we have seen an example of that already in the way that he pursued justice, not really so much for himself, but for the innocent victim of violence in this episode. That, IMO, came from his need to never again have innocent blood on his hands or, if he has, to face up to the full consequences in a way he didn't when he killed the refugees. He didn't want to run back to Earth and avoid the issue, he wanted to stay and find out who the killer was even if it they proved it was him.

It's so nice to have a little meat to hang on the bones of Mitchell's character. More please!

Izzy

Comment

Originally posted by macktheknife
        AND to all you "kirk haters" HE WAS'NT KIRKING. He was being USED. The girl knew he would be able to help her keep her position and control (similary to how Weir on SGA has her position backed by the international council group), and how better to "seal the deal" for her to give him some lovin.
        Why does it have to be that either he was a seducer or he was being the used? Why the hell can't we just say she found him attractive and decided to go for it? Can you not imagine a woman initiating a sexual relationship just for fun?

Not to mention that the idea she would believe that 'giving him some loving' would seal the deal doesn't make any sense. He'd already committed to helping her, for all she knew, he would respect her less in the morning, or wouldn't care any more about impressing her.

Comment

Originally posted by derrickh
          What did they want to happen? Would they have been happy if the husband had been executed in front of them? Did they expect the project to be scrapped because the poor guy couldn't handle seeing Mitchell sleeping with his wife?
          D
          Um, "the poor guy" brutally beat and killed someone. No sympathy from me. Plenty of people have to watch people they love move on without them. You can get sad and angry and eat ice cream or whatever you need to do, but not murder people.

Comment

Originally posted by Izzy
            I really enjoyed this episode. We got to see a bit of Mitchell backstory and (finally) BB got a chance to flex his acting muscles (more of that, please PTB), all within a quite a good little story (so long as you don't look too closely for the plot holes...).

Others seem very disturbed by Mitchell's conduct at the reception in leaving with the Dr for a spot of 'kirking' and drinking whilst on duty - well, I don't feel as strongly as some about it but it is certainly not strictly professional behaviour. However I think this unease with Mitchell's actions is what we're meant to feel as this is doubtless what Cam himself feels about it afterwards. He knows he shouldn't have done it. He knows if he hadn't done it the Dr would still be alive. He feels that responsibility as he does for the convoy of refugees he was mistakenly told to fire upon. Neither were, strictly speaking, his fault but he played a part and feels responsible.

Elsewhere in this thread people have said that they hope that the backstory affects Cam and his choices but I think we have seen an example of that already in the way that he pursued justice, not really so much for himself, but for the innocent victim of violence in this episode. That, IMO, came from his need to never again have innocent blood on his hands or, if he has, to face up to the full consequences in a way he didn't when he killed the refugees. He didn't want to run back to Earth and avoid the issue, he wanted to stay and find out who the killer was even if it they proved it was him.

It's so nice to have a little meat to hang on the bones of Mitchell's character. More please!

Izzy
            You make some interesting observations about Mitchell`s character. You expressed things that were in the back of my mind, but so much better than I could have. Thanks for a nice read.
            Fargater (n.) A Farscape fan who got curious about Stargate SG-1 on learning BB and CB would be joining, belatedly discovered the greatness of Stargate SG-1 in reruns, and who is now a happy fan of both shows.

Comment

i liked this episode because we learnt a bit of background of mitchell character which i really enjoyed and sympathised with him

Comment

I must have read too many trashy SF novels when I was younger, 'cos I definately remember this story.

The whole story was obvious and predictable.
                sigpic

Comment

Well the big thing with this one wasn't so much the murder on the planet (tho it was important), it was more for the backstory on Mitchell, for those of you who had been complaining because all we had gotten was the Antarctic story (I'm not being antagonistic or anything, just calling 'em as I see 'em).
                  Yes, I really do look like (a younger) Daniel. Don't believe me? Look for yourself.

Hey, Mitchell! You want a turn?

Comment

The last issue of TV Zone ranked this episode as the best of the Season so far. I believe they had reviewed all the eps up until Ripple Effect, or maybe the one after that. But they liked this ep enough to give it a special sidebar and to do a longer write-up about it. They especially liked that it was different, I believe. And they really liked learning about Mitchell's backstory. I have to agree with that. Learning about his backstory was the best part of th episode.

Comment

Originally posted by rac76
                      I thought this was good..a bit dark, but enjoyable. I guess the who did it a few seconds before it was revealed. Prion, now I remember the episode of Star Trek TNG, that was one of my faves. I did miss about the first 15 minutes because my daughter was crying in my ear, so I missed what they were talking about. My daughter is asleep now, she doesn't feel good. I'll just watch it again at 11 o'clock.

Quick Question: who is Jeff Upton? They had a in memoriam for him at the end of the show. I'm just wondering who that is.

I just found this post and it seems no one has answered your last "quick question". Jeff Upton was a gaffer/lighting technician who worked on the crew of this episode and a couple of movies. He is listed on imdb but there's very little information about him. When I saw the dedication at the end of the episode, I looked carefully in the credits and found his name listed there under the crew.

Denise

Comment

Originally posted by Denise
                        [/B]

I just found this post and it seems no one has answered your last "quick question". Jeff Upton was a gaffer/lighting technician who worked on the crew of this episode and a couple of movies. He is listed on imdb but there's very little information about him. When I saw the dedication at the end of the episode, I looked carefully in the credits and found his name listed there under the crew.

Denise
                        Hello Denise welcome to Gateworld forums

Here are 2 Aussie based threads.

Discussion on Season 9 http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=29839

General Off Topic stuff http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...=1097&page=602

Comment

the story seemed too quick for me. although i was surprised it tunred out to be the ex, i thought it was gonna be his friend. oh well.

and i've said this before in the aussie thread, but it kinda rubs me wrong when people saying mitchell was being unprofessional for leaving with the girl. while this is true, all other members of the crew have done sometihng similar and had relationships with ppl offworld, or at least kissed and been with them. jack did it in season one (the one where he went old), although it turned out better than it did for mitchell
                          "victimsofninjasayidsaywhat?"
                          "what?"
                          *throat punch*
                          My blog: kathysnumber1blog.blogspot.com
                          LVI now open to all fandoms!!! http://lostvideo.net/

Comment

Just watched this and have to say it's definitely a ripoff of Star Trek Voyager. If they want to do a memory implantation episode fine, but don't make it the exact same story of Voyager's "Ex Post Facto"

Comment

Originally posted by SgaIsBad View Post
                              Just watched this and have to say it's definitely a ripoff of Star Trek Voyager. If they want to do a memory implantation episode fine, but don't make it the exact same story of Voyager's "Ex Post Facto"
                              They didn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Naonak View Post
                                They didn't.
                                How is it different?

Comment

Working...
                                X