Collateral Damage (912)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shipperahoy
    Well Ben himself was born in 62 I think which would have made him about 7 during the first shuttle launch
    Wasn't the first shuttle launch in 1981?

Mitchell looked about 8... 10 at the most. If 1981 is correct, that would make him around 35 now. Which is indeed young.

The shuttle program started late 60s/early 70's but the first launch was much later. Can anyone confirm the first shuttle launch date?
    scarimor

Comment

Originally posted by scarimor

Mitchell looked about 8... 10 at the most. If 1981 is correct, that would make him around 35 now. Which is indeed young.

The shuttle program started late 60s/early 70's but the first launch was much later. Can anyone confirm the first shuttle launch date?
      From NASA's Space Shuttle page:

"Space Shuttle Columbia lifted off from Kennedy Space Center, Fla., on April 12, 1981, at 6 a.m. CST (12:00 GMT) to begin the first shuttle mission, STS-1. The primary mission objectives for STS-1 were to accomplish a safe ascent into orbit, check out all the systems on the space shuttle and to return to Earth for a safe landing. All of these objectives were met successfully."

So the first launch was in 1981.

Comment

On my first watching of this episode, I was abit taken aback by how little Daniel, Teal'c and even Sam was utilized in this episode. I mean logically I knew it was for focusing on Cameron Mitchell, but even he seemed to not have a whole lot to do (but what he did do was great work by Ben Browder).

Last night when I was resetting my tape for this friday's episode something came to me that made me go :facepalm: D'oh!

Ripple Effect is next week. Spoilers below:
        s
        p
        o
        i
        l
        e
        r

s
        p
        a
        c
        e
        highlight text to readThe actors are playing multiple versions of themselves in Ripple Effect and most likely needed extra time to work on this episode. end of text to highlight.

So it makes perfect sense that the episode before it would be a little bit lighter work for the cast. I think we sometimes forget how the needs of one episode production can place constraints on the time the actors spend in an episode.

Marla
        ______
        Visit my Entertainment News blog at http://blogs.delphiforums.com/mrreedwriter

Join in the discussion at MichaelShanksArchive

Comment

Well Ben himself was born in 62 I think which would have made him about 7 during the first shuttle launch and it's not too unusual for show to add or subtract from the actors real age for the character.

And thanks for pointing out the possible link between Cam's determination to recover from his own crash to seeing his father being injured in a crash. I can't believe I didn't link those two in my mind. D'oh!
          well I made a HUGE big deal about it in my post and review of the episode and NOW I know that you didn't even read it... ....I am so hurt and depressed now....I thought you cared
          Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

well, I really didn't like the ep, tainted as it was for me by the fact that I think S9 is poo.

But the thing with Mitchell's age is just one more nail in the coffin for me. I can take almost any amount of bad radio procedure, awful weapon handling, frankly unbelievable military characters etc. But this thing where you don't count for anything if you're over 35 is grating more than ever.

BB is older than me, [clue: I am the answer] and the shuttle launched in my penultimate year of school. I remember it well. Is it too much to ask that the age be realistic???

Sadly I think me and Stargate are about to part ways
            In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

sigpic

Comment

After giving up on Stargate during the last season, season 9 has really piqued my interest again. Collateral Damage is by far the best episode I have watched in a long time. I loved the unusual camera angles, the slightly darker and intense feel to it. The memory with the mirror scene was soo creepy, loved it!

I've really grown to like Mitchell, Ben Browder was just brilliant in this episode. He emotes so very well, please give him more angsty scenes!
              Most of the supporting cast did an excellent job too, the emissary, Mitchell's dad, Dr. Morrell, Reya I wouldn't mind seeing more of them.

There are a few things which could have been done better but I'm not even going there, I've enjoyed watching this episode and that's that.
              Besides I have a feeling that we didn't get to see what actually happened and I'm really hoping for a continuation some day ....
              "I think, Sebastian, therefore I am"

Comment

I finally read all the posts and I'm surprised that so many people disliked this episode. I loved it!

I'm very surprised about all the Kirking comments. Mitchell has kissed one woman in 12 episodes. I don't know what is going to happen in the future, and if it happens repeatedly, I can see the concern, but once? I think we might be jumping the gun in labeling him as Kirk this early in the game. I also agree with those that said Mitchell and Reya didn't have sex since she was murdered in the same clothes. If she was willing to wear a robe when the emissary visited her [in the first memory trial of Mitchell's], she wouldn't have had a problem wearing one saying goodbye to Mitchell if they had spent the night together or even greeting her ex-husband, with whom she was still friendly, if that is the way he gained entry. Either Mitchell and Reya called it off or the husband interrupted them before they got beyond kissing.

One of my favorite moments was in the flashback to when young Mitchell saw his father for the first time after he lost his legs. The father looked at him apprehensively, wondering if his beloved son was going to think he was a freak, and after a short pause, the son's face lit up in a smile and Dad knew everything was going to be all right. It was a wonderful scene and I thought that kid was quite the looker. I'm not good at deciding if someone looks like someone else, so I'm not sure if he was a good representation of a younger Browder, but he sure had the good looks to make it believable to me!

It's weird, but during the final scene when Mitchell's father was telling him how strong he was, I had tears streaming down my face. I don't think that scene was particularly emotional to me, so maybe it was the culmination of all the flashbacks and it just hit me then, for some reason. --and I was reminded of the earlier flashbacks because his father telling him how strong he was reminded me of the hospital flashback and how strong that young boy was to quell his fears and sadness and give his father the smile he needed to continue his recuperation.

I really enjoyed this episode, my favorite so far and one that I don't know when I'll have the heart to delete from my DVR.

Comment

Well Ben himself was born in 62 I think which would have made him about 7 during the first shuttle launch and it's not too unusual for show to add or subtract from the actors real age for the character.
                  Ummm...did you mean the Apollo Lunar missions? The first shuttle launch was in 1981

edited to add...oops...I replied right after reading the post, so I didn't realize it was already replied to...lol

Comment

Originally posted by scarimor

Actually 35 would be about right for his rank so it's believable.

Comment

Originally posted by nccjones
                      Actually 35 would be about right for his rank so it's believable.
                      If his rank were Major, sure.

According the USAF, as of December 2005, the average age of a Cpt is 32.0, Major = 38.0, and LtCol = 43.2.

corrections on the following welcomed:
                      Let's say Mitchell got his commission at age 22. He could have realistically made Cpt at 26, but after that point promotions come slower. Although it's technically (and legally) possible that he could have been promoted to Maj at 28, it's more likely to have come at age 32. Then, promotion to LtCol could have come at (32+3=)35, but more likely at age 38.

Description of promotion system

USAF Demographics reports

Comment

well, my views on how TPTB handle ranks in this show don't need rehashing here.

Suffice to say that a 35 year old major is just about believable (I have known quite a few, but in my job it was not unusual. In others, a Maj under 40 would be a freak)

I just don't think that he would have anywhere near enough leadership experience to pull off the Col properly - Although something to do with pay scales might push a pilot up a little.

the easiest way to deal with it is to ignore it and try to enjoy the show.
                        In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

sigpic

Comment

I don't worry about all the rank stuff. It is way way way down on my list of things to think about. I am more into the acting. And Ben's acting is superb. I don't care what his rank is just let the man act. Just my little ole opinion.
                          Sybil

Comment

You know, people just don't know what they missed with this ep last week. Hard to believe ratings were down for all of Sci-Fi Friday. This was a really good one, too. Oh well, hopefully more will tune in for "Ripple Effect".
                            sigpic
                            MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                            "...phu...ah..."
                            "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                            Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I really liked this one quite a lot. The ending was a little anti-climactic but all of the Cam backstory was pretty cool.

Comment

This was a good enough episode, not one of my favourites so far but gave more skope into the Col. Mitchell character. I also liked the ending where the killers memory was altered to make it seem like she died in an accident.

STARGATE ATLANTIS'S
                                legacy continues with New Movies

Visit my new Stargate Atlantis Blog @

http://stephenswords.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                                X