No announcement yet.

Collateral Damage (912)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great ep IMO, getting to see more of Cam, finally! Cant fault it at all really 9/9 chevrons!!!

Oh and Landry "I never saw languague like that used in an official air force report before" lmao
    Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
    - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

Wow, that was fantastic. That was actually a lot lot better than I expected.

I love the way the rest of the team reacted to Mitchell's flirting...you think one of them warned him 'this never turns out well!'

I didn't even object to the kirking, as the female character was strong and independent, and was a fully rounded character, that I was interested in, and not just bimbo of the week. And she did seduce Mitchell, rather.

Fantastic dialogue. What i mean, people actually had conversations and arguements, not just dialogue to move the plot along.

Grat technique with the flashbacks, shaky and brief. Love the way Sam was represented as a nurse in one of them...mirroring the way Sam has taken Cam under her wing. In fact, really enjoyed the Sam/Cam friendship (but just friendship!!! no more, ok?)

In fact, this kind of reminded me of Farscape, and not just cos BB was suffering. In the way it faced the darkest aspects of both life, and the main characters back story. And the way all the characters, even the slimy villain, had a full background, and a real discernible character, with real faults and virtues. I felt these were real people, who had had a life before SG1 turned up, and would continue to exist after they leave. Not to mention that twist..the bad guys get away with it.

fantastically directed. real sense of disjointedness in cam's scenes. shame that i recognised the set from a episode in the eighth season....

I really didn't think I was going to like this. The basic idea reminded of a certain Voyager episode, and i'm not a big fan of finding out about the background of a character...bits slipping out every now and then are ok, but i find stories going back into a character's past a bit boring most of the time. But this was fantastic. Stargate at it's very very best!

And doing what it does best. Just when I expect one thing, it gives me another..I expect an ok episode, and get a tense, clever, fascinating, gripping episode. I am totally impressed all over again
      Michelle's Fanfic Here My Original Fic

Comment

thought that woz a good ep, rele felt like sg-1. Bit boring at the beginnin i guess but still a good ep.

Comment

This was an interesting episode for Cam. Little disappointed about his sudden infection with the "Kirk Syndrome". I found the flashbacks interesting for Mitchell and quite enjoyed this. I haven't been overly fond of him so far, but this certainly got my interest in him.

Was nice to see other people who look at the same level, if not a couple of years more advance than us.
          sigpic
          Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

I liked this episode, i think this is the first episode of the year i haven't felt bored with, true the memory things been done a fair few times in sci-fi but i liked the twist and the expanding on his character.

Comment

Sorry if this has been asked before but where exactly what Michael's daughter in this ep?

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

Originally posted by Shipperahoy
                Sorry if this has been asked before but where exactly what Michael's daughter in this ep?
                Playing frisbee behind Mitchell walking with his Dad in the park.

Comment

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this, because I haven't had a chance to read all the posts yet, but something just occurred to me about what this episode told us about Mitchell that I thought was also well done.

Seeing Mitchell's Dad in the hospital with the loss of his legs and not being able to walk right or to fly jets ever again goes along way to explain and give more insight into why Cameron was so determined to fully recover and walk again from his own accident.

That Cameron and his father both ended up in crashes in combat situations was a nice touch. I like the insight it gave us into Cameron's sheer will and determination.

The only question I have and I guess I should go post it in the 'Ask Joe' thread is this: was Cameron and his dad watching the first shuttle launch? That would make Mitchell very young to be a Lt. Colonel wouldn't it. I mean I always thought Cameron was in his early forties like Jack was and Carter is now.

Marla
                  ______
                  Visit my Entertainment News blog at http://blogs.delphiforums.com/mrreedwriter

Join in the discussion at MichaelShanksArchive

Comment

Well Ben himself was born in 62 I think which would have made him about 7 during the first shuttle launch and it's not too unusual for show to add or subtract from the actors real age for the character.

And thanks for pointing out the possible link between Cam's determination to recover from his own crash to seeing his father being injured in a crash. I can't believe I didn't link those two in my mind. D'oh!

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

Did anyone else think the special effects in this episode were great? The city was quite impressive, but the plane sequence was immense. But i liked the episode, i especially loved that bit at the end with his dad. I don't know why, i just liked it... *shrugs*

The center of Khlysty surrounds me

Comment

Originally posted by Anubis69
                        Did anyone else think the special effects in this episode were great? The city was quite impressive, but the plane sequence was immense. But i liked the episode, i especially loved that bit at the end with his dad. I don't know why, i just liked it... *shrugs*
                        The father backstory was definitely the highlight of this episode for me. Every scene relating to him was very touching. The bombing incident, while good character development in its own right, didn't have the same emotional payoff. Maybe I just can't relate. I've never killed innocent people, accidentally or otherwise, but everyone has a father.
                        SQUEE like no one's listening.

Comment

I have now read this thread with an open mind and still cannot change it on CD. I really am trying - I wasn't even going to watch this one but I taped and and did and once again was disappointed. I felt that what we learned about Mitchell was insignificant. I agree with someone who asked if we got to see
                          Spoiler:

how he knew SG1 before he got to the SGC
                          but alas again that takes a backseat to stuff I really don't care about, plus if we have to have the obligatory
                          Spoiler:
                          kissing
                          scenes in every freakin' ep then this show and the writers really are worse off than I thought my $ is on a scene in RE with Carter
                          Spoiler:
                          kissing Marty
                          as that obligaotry scene for next week.

I would rather have seen scenes of the team working together as opposed to standing around looking angsty. I want to see the team bond doing team stuff - I really have no investment in Mitchell and after 12 eps can honestly say that I probably never will so his relationship with
                          Spoiler:
                          his father
                          does not interest me in the slightest. I want to see his realtionship with the team working together and with Carter, Daniel and Teal'c with something substantial and significant to contribute.

Show me why this guy even deserves to be on SG1, show me why these three stellar people would come back from other pursuits to work with this yahoo, funny-man - so far none, absolutely none, of that, IMO, after 12 episodes. The scene where he leaves a
                          Spoiler:
                          diplomatic mission where he represents Earth and the SGC and for a quickie
                          continues to have me question his judgement and adds to my questioning of what exactly it is he brings to a team of this caliber. I am sorry but I thought BB was wooden in FS and that has not changed. To me he always seems to be looking down or looking into space staring at nothing even when he is talking and his one-liners, again I felt there were too many especially that stupid one that fell flat in the brefing room about hoping
                          Spoiler:
                          there would be dancing
                          too many shades of Jack. I must say I did not think I had very high expectations for the show anymore but I am consistently let down. I just have to keep lowering the bar I guess.

This was a 1 on my scale and likely the most boring, slow-paced, inconsequential episode in a verrry long time (Wormhle Extreme ranks up there as does 4hm2 and this just sits in that pack like thick sap running down the maple trees in winter). I read where someone else said they find themselves sitting and feeling guilty as they watch the show because they make fun of it while it is in progress and that is where I am right now - so much of it is jut not worth my time. I admit I did FF through a large portion of it since it was so plodding and so boring and so predictable. Even on FF I could tell what was happening and that is too bad for a show that once grabbed me and held me for one hour straight. I would rush home to watch if I could or tape it if not and watch as soon as I could. Now I just tape it for the ones I think will be worth it and when I get to it I put it on and then roam around the house or FF. Sad and depressing for me.

Episodes like this just make me kind of sad (it is only a TV show afterall) but I do miss the real SG1 that I spent so much time getting invested in and I do, indeed, miss the Stargate almost as much as I miss Carter, Daniel and Teal'c, and the well-written, intelligent drama that was Stargate SG1.

Comment

Originally posted by Colonel Dixon
                            I know it's been brought up before, but I just felt the need to vent about Daniel's line, "Wow, on Earth we have to prove guilt." ... But please, it was a horrible and very non-Daniel moment.

Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess
                            Daniel, of all characters, should never utter such words. He was an anthropologist, FCOL. A true professional would never judge one society by the standards of another. Unfortunately he's had such lines thrust unto him throughout the series.
                            True, that comment from Daniel was very different from the Daniel of earlier seasons, but I think that through his experiences (particularly his time as an Ascended being) he has increasingly become less culturally-sensitive and more inclined to express his own ethos of universal right and wrong. Also, in this particular situation - in which these two worlds are trying to set up diplomatic relations - it doesn't seem as out of place as it might otherwise. He was clearly unhappy with the lack of cooperation these people had been showing the course of the investigation and their lack of concern about finding out the truth, so I saw it almost as an insult or put-down directed at these people who seemed to have no concern with justice.

Comment

Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess
                              Daniel, of all characters, should never utter such words. He was an anthropologist, FCOL. A true professional would never judge one society by the standards of another.
                              I didn't see Daniel judging a society, I just saw him frustrated by the framing of a colleague and virtually impotent - that little comment (which didn't criticise or judge, only compared) was all he could think of to do or say in his friend's defence. He could have said nothing, but that wouldn't have been very Danielish either!

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by Zelda
                                I like this episode even better the second time I watched it! A+

Thank you, NotAscended. I came across your post while reading this thread and the part of the discussion that wondered if Mitchell was appropriate in his flirtation during a diplomatic mission off world. I watched the episode again, and I think you are right. Mitchell's immediate attraction to Raya was the result of the initial memory transplant.

... the Ambassador is a bit more interested in the scientist than he should be. Note the Ambassador/Mitchell lightly running his fingers over the sleeve of Raya's robe and watch how he's looking at her as he's saying many good things are expected of her. The set up is strange, too. It is night, Raya is coming from another part of the house, in a robe, saying she was not expecting anyone, while the Ambassador has somehow let himself in and made himself comfortable with a drink. The entire setup is creepy. It's not overt but it is pretty certain the Ambassador is interested in the scientist in a non-professional way (thank you Ben for that subtle performance as creepy Ambassador).

And, when you think about that, that particular memory may have been selected as the implant partly to interest the Tauri diplomat in Raya with the goal of obtaining favorable reports for the negotiation with the Tauri regarding the technology swap. Daniel and Teal'c wondered why so much of Raya's information had been censored by the government; perhaps her affair with the Ambassador and the true extent of technological advancement of the device were conveniently removed.

Then add how familiar Mitchell felt in her house.

That's certainly a good explanation for the kissing and the censoring. Thanks for pointing it out

Madeleine

Comment

Working...
                                X