No announcement yet.

Collateral Damage (912)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I enjoyed this episode. I don't think it was a rip-off, except of the show itself (Beneath The Surface and Revisions).

I loved the twist at the end... and have a feeling we will be seeing these people soon (esp with politicians on our side interested in the technology).

I liked most of all the backround on Mitchell. Reminds me somewhat of Secrets and Cold Lazarus.

Mattathias

Comment

Originally posted by Gargen
      Not one of the best episodes actaully i didn't like it all and it was very predictable. The one good thing was it does develop mitchells character a bit more
      Only episode 219 - One False Step - was worse than this one.

Don't make a show if you don't want to spend the money.

Comment

Originally posted by Ziu
        Only episode 219 - One False Step - was worse than this one.
        Hee! And, One False Step is one of my favorite episodes.
        I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

Hey! That ep was hilarious!
          TEAM SG1 LIVES

Comment

Since I'm sure you all are just waiting with baited breath to hear my thoughts on Collateral Damage, I'll delay your moment of divine rapture no longer. (Hey, I like my delusions, so don't ruin them for me.)

My feelings on this one are rather mixed. For all it had going for it, I can't help but be overcome by the boring tediousness which seems to accompany Cameron Mitchell wherever he may go. For a good long while now many fans have bemoaned the lack of back story for Mitchell and have been chomping at the bit for an episode to showcase Ben Browder's talent as an actor. This episode was constructed purely to mollify such concerns on behalf of the audience, albeit in a rather static and uninteresting way. Someone previously said that this felt more like The Outer Limits than SG-1. The premise is certainly of that bent, but this lacked the moral or ethical focus that an Outer Limits story would have had. Had this one been a little more about weighing the positives and negatives of the technology, more about the inherent rightness or wrongness of everyone's actions during the course of the episode, then it would have had that "punch" that The Outer Limits often pulled off. As it is, this one lacked such an emotional core, and was the poorer for it.

I'll start by saying, as others already have, that the best part of Collateral Damage was the most welcome return of a true stand-alone episode to SG-1. No pesky Ori, no righteous Jaffa council meetings, no Goa'uld--just SG-1 by themselves on a planet. Many of the show's most important and illuminating episodes have taken place in the absence of overwhelming "big plot" elements, and much of what is characterized as the "stargate feeling" comes from the interaction with different alien cultures. Seeing it again here, I still feel that this episode structure suits the show and I wish that more future episodes would harken back to this simple, less convoluted formula. Take a new culture, add a new technology, throw in some well-defined but not overriding guest characters, and you've got yourself a nice little set-up to showcase the SG-1 team.

Of course, that's where this one hits a damned roadblock. Collateral Damage doesn't showcase the SG-1 team. It barely showcases Mitchell, and what it does tell us about him isn't necessarily gripping or endearing. The story just unfolds around the team, they play no real part in it. SG-1 is reduced merely to a group of observers, and even the tension of Mitchell's possible prosecution is swept away before it becomes an issue. The story's bite, while present for the first third of the episode, is gone after any real consequences of the murder are brushed aside. We're simply left with an exercise in pedantry, with the story plodding along from points A to B to C. Even Cam himself is stuck following the plot rather than driving it.

While I didn't really have a problem with it, my brother absolutely hated Mitchell's behavior in this one. OK, fine, he's flirting with a woman--it happens. But what's with ditching SG-1 and their diplomatic mission on the off chance that he'll get to score with the hot chick? I'm pretty sure that's not the standard way of representing your planet. Even more heinous is his offering to use Earth's political leverage to keep Dr. Varrick attached to the project. Of course, it's not because he thinks she's vital to Earth's interests or because she's being mistreated, but because he wants to ingratiate himself, personally, to her. I'm pretty sure that's not the way SG-1 traditionally acts off world either. And even when he's back at Dr. Varrick's apartment and actually articulates that "this is a mistake", he still doesn't do the right thing. Whether Cam actually had time to score with Reya before the murder is neither here nor there, it's that he fully intended to regardless of any consequences that speaks so badly to his character. Obviously there were plot concerns at work with this whole situation, but they don't erase the fact that it still happened and that Cam's actions jeopardized Earth's position with the Galarens.

As for the backstory on Cam, meh. Modest irony with the amputee father, nice relationship between father and son, bad experience with a bombing run once. I'm not sure there's anything there that's particularly unusal for most military familes. I just didn't get the feeling of anything more than an information dump from the flashbacks. And, while I recognize this to be a personal taste, I found Browder's acting while experiencing them over again to be rather vacant. I don't feel that he engaged anyone with the trauma of his past, not the SG-1 team and certainly not the audience. I'd have also preferred there to be more to the story besides Cam's past. Comparing this with how we learned about the rest of SG-1's histories in episodes like Bloodlines, Jolinar's Memories, and Crystal Skull, this one seems all the flatter to me.

Carter, Daniel, and Teal'c. I wish there was more to say about them. In the past they'd have each warranted their own paragraph, but such is not the case recently. More's the pity. They all stood around and looked nice, and they even got a word or two in edgewise occaisonally. But they played no role in the story beyond simply standing around. Sam got to babysit Cameron just like she got to babysit Orlin last week. Way to go on that one. Daniel got to chat rather pleasantly with William Atherton's character. And Teal'c got to follow Daniel around. Super. And what on earth is with Landry actually allowing Mitchell to stay on the planet after being accused of murder, then being told he's free to leave? I'm sorry, but what kind of a half-assed decision is that? Carter was absolutely right to warn Cam about being strangers to the Galarens' justice system. SG-1 has been in similar situations many, many times. Carter was right to suggest that Mitchell return to Earth. I only wish that Landry would have insisted on his return at the subsequent briefing instead of capitulating to Mitchell's overly emotional need to remain behind. Landry, first and foremost, should be protecting his people. And I don't think he did that here.

In the end, I would probably rate Collateral Damage as so-so. It did the job, but lacked any of the unique touches that SG-1 used to add to average stories. And I don't necessarily think that Mitchell was helped by the story. The character is floundering around in the Stargate Universe all by his lonesome. Here, just like in Babylon, the only way to meaningfully showcase him is to serverely and wrongly diminish all of the other characters on the show. Nobody else gets anything in Collateral Damage because Mitchell or Ben Browder needs the screen. It's the kind of thing that illustrates exactly what never happened with Jack O'neill and RDA. Somehow all of the characters got involved when he was around, and that has not been happening in Season Nine. What most aggreived me was that last scene with Mitchell. Here is a real chance for him to have some kind of meaningful interaction with anyone from his team. What the hell was Landry doing there? That should have been either Daniel, Teal'c, or Sam in that lockeroom with Cameron. Those are exactly the kind of scenes that SG-1 is missing this year, and this one was wasted. Cam is no closer to being "one of the team" after this episode, and that scene could have done it for him. What a waste.

I'm tremedously looking forward to Ripple Effect, though. Bring it on.

Comment

Not a great episode, but it was good to see some Mitchell back story. I think his dad was the most interesting element of the whole thing. The team didn't do much in this one, but at least they were all on the planet together and seemed to be working toward the same goal of helping Cam.

Comment

But what's with ditching SG-1 and their diplomatic mission on the off chance that he'll get to score with the hot chick? I'm pretty sure that's not the standard way of representing your planet. Even more heinous is his offering to use Earth's political leverage to keep Dr. Varrick attached to the project. Of course, it's not because he thinks she's vital to Earth's interests or because she's being mistreated, but because he wants to ingratiate himself, personally, to her. I'm pretty sure that's not the way SG-1 traditionally acts off world either. And even when he's back at Dr. Varrick's apartment and actually articulates that "this is a mistake", he still doesn't do the right thing. Whether Cam actually had time to score with Reya before the murder is neither here nor there, it's that he fully intended to regardless of any consequences that speaks so badly to his character. Obviously there were plot concerns at work with this whole situation, but they don't erase the fact that it still happened and that Cam's actions jeopardized Earth's position with the Galarens.
                I didn't really think much about the inappropriateness of Cam's behavior and what it potentially says about his character's judgement until I read your post, but then I realized something. Can you even imagine Daniel, Teal'c or Sam acting this same way at a party on a diplomatic mission to an alien planet? Hmmm? Going home with the first available hottie while on duty?

In terms of any ordinary scifi show plot device, I wouldn't care. But this is SG1! They are supposed to be the elite team of the SGC and representatives of our entire planet. Seems a bit tawdry for a team member somehow.

Now I'm not saying that Cam doesn't deserve to get some from time to time. He's a good-looking, healthy American boy after all (yum!). But in retrospect, his choices in this situation seem very ill-advised to me.

Unless he was taking Jack at his word that once he joined SG1 he could "do anything he wanted."

Comment

Originally posted by golfbooy

Even more heinous is his offering to use Earth's political leverage to keep Dr. Varrick attached to the project. Of course, it's not because he thinks she's vital to Earth's interests or because she's being mistreated, but because he wants to ingratiate himself, personally, to her.

Now, see, as much as I hated the whole thing with Mitchell and the doctor, I did think that he felt she was being mistreated. Yeah, he had the hots for her, but I also thought that he felt that it was unfair to take her off the project after she had done the work.

Seshat:
                  Now I'm not saying that Cam doesn't deserve to get some from time to time. He's a good-looking, healthy American boy after all (yum!). But in retrospect, his choices in this situation seem very ill-advised to me.
                  True. And, I really don't need to see any of them "get some" I mean, I never see them brush their teeth or go to the bathroom, or a lot of things, and it doesn't bother me, because it's beyond the scope of what their showing about their lives.

I watched again, and I've pinpointed the one thing that sounded to Jackish. The "I hope there'll be dancing." The manner and just the line itself just seemed like that to me.

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Comment

Originally posted by Dani347
                    Now, see, as much as I hated the whole thing with Mitchell and the doctor, I did think that he felt she was being mistreated. Yeah, he had the hots for her, but I also thought that he felt that it was unfair to take her off the project after she had done the work.

Seshat:

True. And, I really don't need to see any of them "get some" I mean, I never see them brush their teeth or go to the bathroom, or a lot of things, and it doesn't bother me, because it's beyond the scope of what their showing about their lives.

I watched again, and I've pinpointed the one thing that sounded to Jackish. The "I hope there'll be dancing." The manner and just the line itself just seemed like that to me.
                    But he really didnt "know". As someone else here said it kinda seemed like he was being "played". How do we know shes not just some power hungry individual. Mitch would be more advised not to entangle himself in such situations especially if he doesnt really know all the details.... THE OTHER SIDE anyone.
                    Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by Seshat
                      I didn't really think much about the inappropriateness of Cam's behavior and what it potentially says about his character's judgement until I read your post, but then I realized something. Can you even imagine Daniel, Teal'c or Sam acting this same way at a party on a diplomatic mission to an alien planet? Hmmm? Going home with the first available hottie while on duty?

In terms of any ordinary scifi show plot device, I wouldn't care. But this is SG1! They are supposed to be the elite team of the SGC and representatives of our entire planet. Seems a bit tawdry for a team member somehow.

Unless he was taking Jack at his word that once he joined SG1 he could "do anything he wanted."
                      Yeah, that's what stood out so much to me. I really don't care that Cam found Dr. Varrick attractive. She was. I don't even mind the flirting he was doing with her following the initial test or during the reception. However I didn't like that Carter, Daniel, and Teal'c seemed to be the one actually carrying out the mission while Cam chatted her up. I mean, as you said, they were on duty. This was the mission. And Cameron just seemed to be ignoring it. Then, he tells Carter, Teal'c, and Daniel that he'll be right back, then proceeds to ditch them and go home with Varrick. Shouldn't he have at least told the rest of the team he was taking off? I don't know. I recognize that the whole romance bit was a plot device (when isn't it anymore?), but I thought it could have been handled more appropriately. Cam and Varrick were definitely into each other, and that's all well and good. But Mitchell's first responsibility has to be to SG-1 and to the mission. I just got the impression that that wasn't the case here.

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan
                        But he really didnt "know". As someone else here said it kinda seemed like he was being "played". How do we know shes not just some power hungry individual. Mitch would be more advised not to entangle himself in such situations especially if he doesnt really know all the details.... THE OTHER SIDE anyone.

Oh, I'm not saying it wouldn't have been prudent to stay out of it. I meant that to me, his motivation for offering to try and use his influence came off to me as genuinely feeling that she had been mistreated (even if he didn't know) rather than just wanting leverage to get into her pants. I did like that he said he'd try. He didn't promise that he could do it, or that anyone would do anything strictly on his word, just that he'd make the attempt.

I really don't care that Cam found Dr. Varrick attractive. She was. I don't even mind the flirting he was doing with her following the initial test or during the reception. Then, he tells Carter, Teal'c, and Daniel that he'll be right back, then proceeds to ditch them and go home with Varrick.
                        Yeah, I didn't mind the initial flirting. I thought it was cute that the others teased him about it. It was when he went home with her, they started kissing, he said he knew he shouldn't be doing it, and just kept on. Maybe if he had started kissing her, and then after he acknowledged that he was wrong and stopped, it would have been better. Although, I could have done without the whole scene alltogether.
                        Last edited by Dani347; 14 January 2006, 11:58 AM.

Comment

This episode was a let down.

After seeing the previews for it last week, I was really looking forward to it because it was going to be Mitchell centric, (and I soooo want to like him. I mean do, but I want more. More for the character to do than just spout some one-liners.), but boy did I come away disappointed. Not exactly the character centric episode I was looking for. Yes we got backstory, but that’s not exactly what I was hoping for in this episode. I don’t know. The episode just didn’t do anything for me. It was too bland. I just wasn’t that invested in what the outcome of Mitchell’s predicament would be or Mitchell himself.

I just didn’t find the episode that compelling. No real jeopardy, no real suspense. No team feel in the sense that I didn’t really get the feeling that they were all that concerned about Mitchell’s plight. Since they weren't, neither was I. The twist wasn’t all that great either. I knew it couldn’t have been that head dude in black because he was WAY too obvious. Woohoo jealous ex killed her....and then he has his memory erased.

I would like to see the relationship he has with Sam developed more (and no, NOT that kind of relationship ). This episode took a step in that direction but I hope some more of the history between them is eventually revealed. I like the friendship aspect those two share.

Some nice little insight into CM, but are they going to incorporate that past into his character through his actions/personality in the future? Again tonight they had his dad saying Mitchell is destined to do great things or some such sentiment. I’m tired of being told directly how great he is supposed to be. Show me dammit. Though I did like that scene at the end with he and his father, but that stupid line was rather jarring.

Hmm, I was even kind of a little disappointed in Ben’s acting, especially at one point I was like geez Ben I’m really not feeling you here, emotionally. And I’m a BB fan.

I guess I'm just disappointed because, emotionally, I just wasn't pulled into this episode. I've given up on any really intellegent, compelling plot coming from SG-1 writers, but I would hope to at least be able to care about these characters. Maybe I need to go back and watch it a second time and take another reading on the episode because my initial reaction was less than stellar.

Episode gets a “meh.”
                          IMO always implied.

Comment

Originally posted by Dani347
                            No, I agree with that. I do believe that Mitchell obviously felt she was being mistreated. And he was right; it would have been unfair to pull her from the project. I just think that Cam was way overstepping his authority to offer to use Earth's potential trade agreement with these people as leverage to keep her on the project. Maybe it's not so much even that as it is that he did it without consulting anyone else, even if it was just the rest of SG-1. And I still don't think that Cam's offer was entirely selfless. He did want to appear noble and not as just another military man. For me, it's Mitchell's knowing disregard that "he shouldn't be doing this" that makes it appear that his offer to help Varrick was born of a desire to score with her. As Varrick said at the house, he wouldn't have gone home with her if he didn't want to be with her.

Comment

Originally posted by Arative
                              Really, do you remember the early seasons of SG-1? How about the one where Jack was drugged with nanites that aged him and he made it with that alien? Or how about the one where Daniel falls for the girl that put him the the sarcoghous? I'm sure there are a few others that I've forgetten to mention but they've always used the girl to move along the plot in Stargate. This episode was no different.

Jack ate cake and therefore was drugged by Kynthia. Cam left without telling his team where he was going and willing drank while on duty. I have a problem with this and the Kirking in the episode. He doesn't seem to have the team mindset that I would like. The bit about his father was touching and we were able to see more into what happened to him in the past, but I still want to see him interact with the team. Why would they believe he was innocent so willingly and drop the part of him killing innocent people without concern and asking him for some explanation. He is walking into a team that has been together for over 8 years. They know how each other think, react, what they have over come and have done in the past. They don't know anything about this guy, except he is pilot. Belonging to the SGC doesn't automatically make him a good guy. Anyone remember Col. Robert Makepeace? I want to know why they would willingly follow this guy into battle if they ever had too.

Comment

Originally posted by golfbooy
                                No, I agree with that. I do believe that Mitchell obviously felt she was being mistreated. And he was right; it would have been unfair to pull her from the project. I just think that Cam was way overstepping his authority to offer to use Earth's potential trade agreement with these people as leverage to keep her on the project. Maybe it's not so much even that as it is that he did it without consulting anyone else, even if it was just the rest of SG-1. And I still don't think that Cam's offer was entirely selfless. He did want to appear noble and not as just another military man. For me, it's Mitchell's knowing disregard that "he shouldn't be doing this" that makes it appear that his offer to help Varrick was born of a desire to score with her. As Varrick said at the house, he wouldn't have gone home with her if he didn't want to be with her.
                                Cam's behavior did certainly seem out of character for an SG-1 member. However, is it possible that part of his behavior stemmed from having already had a memory of an interaction with this woman implanted in his head? The Emissary's memory was introduced when they showed them the technology. That person may have had a personal connection with the woman that made him feel like he knew her better than he actually did. He certainly had a very unusual reaction when he got to her apartment, feeling like he had been there before. It seems like there are some real gray areas in interpreting WHY Cam would be offering to walk her home and acting so familiar with a woman he had just met. On one side, there's just the "hot alien chick" factor, but on the other side, there's the "I already have memories of you in my head" factor.

edited because I just remembered whose memory was implanted in his head
                                Last edited by NotAscended; 14 January 2006, 01:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X