No announcement yet.

The Fourth Horseman, Part 2 (911)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe it was because I found Lam so disgusting, but when I saw the tear on Landry all I could think was, "prop person added water so we'd know this was a tender moment." I couldn't think of any reason why Landry would cry over that brat. Unless he was crying that he had to put up with her whining while he was on his death bed.

If they had been serious-faced and sullen, it wouldn't have had the same effect.
    I think there's more than just sullen on one extreme and the Mitchell/Daniel Live at the Sodan Comedy hour on the other. How about earnest? Or, even dismissive (to show they weren't afraid). It was like Jack's taunting of Ba'al in Zero Hour, which came across as too flippant. What it should have been was like Jack in Serpent's Song, when he was taunting Apophis. (And, Jack was the first example I came up with to illustrate the difference)
    I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

I liked this episode. It isn't my favorite of the season but it was a good conclusion. The pacing felt a bit slow at times but I really liked that everybody had something to do in this episode. Teal'c actually got something to do and spoke more than a sentence or two here and there which was a real delight. It makes me remember what a terrific actor Chris is when given the chance. Daniel and Mitchell have developed a nice banter between them, almost reminiscent of the old Danny and Jack banter. They have excellent timing and I'm looking forward to seeing a friendship develop there. We got a little more development for Landry here also, it's the first episode that I actually saw the character as a person instead of just the new head of the SGC.

It seemed a little too handily wrapped up but it's pretty much all that can be expected when having to wrap up a storyline in 42 minutes. I liked the fact that they had Gerak redeeming himself instead of having Sam and co. come up with a miracle cure at the last second, that would have been a little too handy. I also like that they made it clear that there is still a threat and even though this was averted they are by no means safe. It takes the edge off of the too handy wrap up a bit. All in all a good ep and I'm really looking forward to seeing what Ben does with the juicy story he gets in the next ep.

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
        i think landry's the best 'new' thing of this 'new' show. in fact, when i was watching the scene between landry and his snotty daughter (when landry was tearing up)... i felt he's too good for this show.
        It's cool to hear opposing opinions, that's why I like threads that aren't already declared either a pro or an anti thread.

I'm not military or anything, but I atleast thought that the illusion that SG-1 could be real military was much better when there was a general attitude of professionalism and respect, most of all for the General. I thought it was cool that Hammond had literally no backstory. It made it seem like he sacrificed everything to be in pretty much the elite command on planet Earth. Even in the West Wing the white house chief of staff doesn't have time to ever see his family.

No one could use a red phone like Hammond j/k

Comment

Gotta post before the evil white screen of death reappears!!

I really liked this episode a lot. As the season has progressed, the episodes have improved - I enjoy and accept the newbie characters now, with a few nit-piks on Lam. Not quite into that character yet.

The good:

New opening credits were cool! But I'm with Sela - why the CGI gate?

Teal'c, Bra'tac, Gerak. Wonderful - all of them! I'm one who has complained that the Jaffa arc has grown dull, but this was terrific. For those who thought Gerak changed his mind too quickly, I saw a gradual change from the beginning when Teal'c was challenging him, and especially when they discussed Gerak's father towards the end. When they came through the gate to SGC, you could just see the weight of the universe on Gerak's shoulders. He knew he had done the wrong thing, and he knew what he had to do. Nice work by Lou Gossett. Too bad he won't be back.

Mitchell - I've come to quite like him, and I DO like his banter (especially the pie crust thing ). Browder sure does look good in that black uniform.

Smoking Man Prior (well, what else ya gonna call him) - very good acting (William Davis, yes?) with the facial expressions. But he was always magnificant in "X-Files".

Sam and Orlin - Scenes talking about Orlin's descent did drag a bit, but the last scene between them had me looking for the kleenex box.

Landry - I like him. Good replacement for Hammond (but no one can really replace Hammond).

The bad: Not much to complain about. No episode is ever going to be perfect, but this one was quite entertaining. There was humor, excitement, sadness and loss. I guess I can't say anything bad on Mr. Mallozzi's blog this week.
          Last edited by FoolishPleasure; 06 January 2006, 09:33 PM.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Lam's abruptness works when she's in medical mode. I don't mind her not being a sensitive, nice doctor. But, dealing with her dying father, who I assume she was trying to connect and to indirectly say she forgave him, her attitude screamed anything but.
            I have to agree. This should have been the chance for Lam to soften up, but she was far too harsh, especially when recounting the past at the start of the scene. Even by the end of the scene, there still wasn't a solid reconciliation, and I felt it was time to make some progress against the strained relationship.

Otherwise I really enjoyed the episode, esp the Daniel and Mitchell scenes with the Sodan and the Prior. I for one really liked the banter; it suits the dark humor the show often has.

Comment

Originally posted by Shipperahoy
              Daniel and Mitchell have developed a nice banter between them, almost reminiscent of the old Danny and Jack banter. They have excellent timing and I'm looking forward to seeing a friendship develop there.
              I do like the way the friendship is developing. They have good timing together, and it's not a retread of Jack and Daniel. They banter, but it's their own banter. Which would have fit more when they were in the hut rather than when they were with the prior.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what Ben does with the juicy story he gets in the next ep.
              I'm hoping it's good. He has some nice small moments, but imo, he really hasn't shown the level that I expected. I'm hoping a really juicy episode (that is played with the right intensity) shows him knocking it out of the park.

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Comment

Originally posted by Droops
                Browder and Shanks banter was hysterical.
                my *least* fave part of the ep. what's with being jokey at a time like that? it was really mitchell and his one-liners that was getting to me. this actor and character are better than that.

Judge had a heck of a role tonight and did it well.
                agreed. and i liked garek doing what he did. no matter what crappy things he's been saying and doing, he's still a good man. that sacrificed himself.

one thing.

i wish i could get excited about this show like i used to. i miss that.

sally
                sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Johnquixote
                  Such is the will of the Ori, that in their divine judgement, Origin shall be felt far and wide. And all unbelievers vanquished.

I like the Ori, I'm glad the Prior got through the device, means SG-1 still has to be creative on depriorizing.
                  i believe that's the core problem of this entire Season. Before Season 09, SG was markedly different in that each episode was layered with on-going sub-plots and sub-texts. Some episodes were stand-alone segments while others allowed team members to use their differing points-of-view and unique strengths in order to overcome the threat-of-the-day. It wasn't just about a linear progression toward destroying an even more powerful and more audacious enemy. Stargate never existed for that sole purpose; however, I fear that it has been reduced to just that.

Comment

Originally posted by MasySyma

The Orlin and Carter scenes were interesting, and the end was particularly sad. He sacrificed himself to help humanity (partially because it included Carter), and now he can't even remember who Sam is. General Hammond's presence and the scene with the team was fantastic as well.
                    i liked that ending sam-orlin scene too. it was sad.

i never was able to 'really' see this kid as orlin. he was too bland (*not* the way sean patrick flannery played him). but the ending was touching.

sally
                    sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                      my *least* fave part of the ep. what's with being jokey at a time like that?

sally
                      If they knew they had the prior incapacited for good and there would be no retaliation, I could see them being cocky enough to joke. But, knowing that there are still more priors that could come? And, how was the banter going to convince the prior to go against the Ori? Orlin and Landry did a better job, and I didn't feel like they should have a microphone and someone doing a "ba-dum-bum" to signal the punch line like I did with Mitchell and Daniel.

Comment

Originally posted by Sela
                        ...was glad that Gerek died as a good guy. Loved Bratac, as always. Looking forward to next week.
                        Who said Gerek is dead?

Comment

Originally posted by Dani347
                          If they knew they had the prior incapacited for good and there would be no retaliation, I could see them being cocky enough to joke. But, knowing that there are still more priors that could come? And, how was the banter going to convince the prior to go against the Ori? Orlin and Landry did a better job, and I didn't feel like they should have a microphone and someone doing a "ba-dum-bum" to signal the punch line like I did with Mitchell and Daniel.
                          I see your point but I guess I just saw it as a sort of return to the Stargate of old. They were always joking around during life and death situations. Sure it was often completely inappropriate but that's part of what made it fun for me. I'm just curious, but do you think that part of why it felt off to you is because Mitchell is a new character? Cuz I sometimes get a vibe while watching him that it feels a bit out of place just because I'm still trying to find the character.

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

I thought the banter was appropriate for the moment and consistent with the show.

Oh, btw, good to see Walter with some good lines tonight!

Comment

Originally posted by Sela

Loved seeing Hammond anytime but I agree with others who want to know about his civilian status. When did this happen and why? Can't anyone tell us what he's doing? Why is this such a state secret? And I also found it strange that when he said he was heading back to Washington, no one said, "Tell Jack we said 'Hi'." What was that all about?
                              what IS hammond doing now? (maybe he and jack are co-head janitors in washington dc).

misses -->

sally
                              sally

sigpic

Comment

Chris Judge was the highlight of this ep for me...

...an Ori ep I actually enjoyed, sorta.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X