No announcement yet.

The Fourth Horseman, Part 2 (911)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With the telling-and-not-showing thing: Stargate DESPERATELY needs a bigger budget!!

Comment

Originally posted by PG15
      With the telling-and-not-showing thing: Stargate DESPERATELY needs a bigger budget!!
      No... just better writing

Comment

Overall i liked the ep.

The most hilarious part, when the Orii went to summon his staff from Mitchells hands and he sort of went 'whoosh' hahah and pulled it back as a joke. Over your head orii! That whole scene i enjoyed very much, it was nice how Landry got Orlin to talk to the prior.

There was a couple of parts of the episode i felt unnecessary.
        Hammond coming into the room didn't really seem to have a purpose, other than 'thanks for getting the band back together'. I was waiting for him to reveal some defining information about something happening with the stargate program.

I'm already bored with the family problems (storyline) between Landry/Lam. I realise tptb are trying to use this, to i don't know, make us feel more connected to them or something when they eventually reunite, but its really quite boring and either needs to resolved quickly, or they need to pull a ford on Lam. (haha orii lam).

It annoyed me how carter kept coming in to check on Orlin. It's already been emphasized how much she cares for him. The end sequence was quite neccesary however. Maybe shes going to adopt him Haha an SG1 adoption family, with mini/cloneJack, Cassandra and Orlin

I was suprised how they ended up curing the plague, i thought they'd load missiles that they used for the symbiote poisoning *shrugs*.

I kept screaming 'callll the asgard' with regards to orlin's memory problems. Would have helped alot. Speaking of which, i want to see the asgard and how the tok'ra are doing heh.

I'm interested to see how the uber jaffa (sorry forget their name) are going to play out as an ally. It would be nice if Sg1 didn't get beaten up every time they came. Also i wanted the orii on their planet to be converted. An orii as a recurring character would be cool.
        and yeah. Thats my 10 cents.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnquixote
          Sam was behind the scenes doing the scientist thing if you think about it. Daniel isn't exactly capable of helping Orlin process the cure, but he can click a few buttons on a remote. Sam belonged at the SGC, helping Orlin and commanding in Landry's absence.
          Yes, I got that, but she (or another super-technie) seemed more appropriate to that portion of the mission IMO. I mean, this is Daniel, the man who usually pushes buttons by accident and says, "oops, that was me." I realize using Daniel there was keeping him in the scene (and I like looking at MS as much as the next gal, mind you), I just felt he was not the logical best choice. Or even second best choice. Oh, you get what I mean.

All the characters seem to have morphed into being able to do anything... Super!SG1

Comment

Originally posted by Seshat
            Yes, I got that, but she (or another super-technie) seemed more appropriate to that portion of the mission IMO. I mean, this is Daniel, the man who usually pushes buttons by accident and says, "oops, that was me." I realize using Daniel there was keeping him in the scene (and I like looking at MS as much as the next gal, mind you), I just felt he was not the logical best choice. Or even second best choice. Oh, you get what I mean.

All the characters seem to have morphed into being able to do anything... Super!SG1
            or maybe not sg1 morphing into doing other duties as much as giving the new characters their duties to begin with.

sally
            sally

sigpic

Comment

But, is it really super to push buttons? I think Daniel could have been better used, and it would make more sense for Sam to do that kind of thing, but just because it was techie, not because it was super techie. I mean, if they had shown what went in to creating the device, that would be more on Sam's level of expertise than Daniel's. But, if someone had just said (I'm picturing it) to press this combination to lower the frequency and this combination to raise it, until it got the right level, or however it worked, that it didn't take a super techie to do that once it was explained. It just seems that if after all these years that he should be trusted not to push buttons accidentally. Or, it makes it seem like he's a puppy who just can't be house trained. I think it wasn't the best use of him in the episode, but not because the task was above his head.
              I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

Originally posted by golfbooy
                Just wanted to add that this is the worst episode of the season, for me, in terms of missing Jack. I feel like even RDA's limited presence in this one would have made Fourth Horseman play much better. It would have added weight to the whole disaster on Earth, and I can't help but think that those scenes offworld with the Prior would have played really great with Jack there. Instead I feel like they wrote the scene how they normally would have with Jack and just gave his parts to Mitchell. And, alas, Mitchell does not have the character depth or cynicism to pull off that special Stargate brand of humor.
                I've just finish watched the epi and i feel the same about THIS episode
                I hope next week will be better.

Comment

Originally posted by Hatusu
                  That did really bother me, GateFan. Since when is Sam a Biochemist?
                  It's likely someone has already addressed this, but: Sam wasn't really doing anything with Orlin other than babysitting him. She, herself, wasn't working on the biochemistry of the cure. When she offered to put the cure (or vaccine, or whatever the heck the sloppy writers called it) together in case of his death, I think it was a matter of running computer models... or something.

Okay, I'm reaching on that last part, I know. The fact remains, Sam was just there to "keep Orlin company"... much the same way Daniel's role was to keep Mitchell company.

But wait!
                  Sam belonged at the SGC, helping Orlin and commanding in Landry's absence. -Johnquixote
                  Yes! 'commanding in Landry's absence': I'll go with that. Too bad they didn't SHOW that. (did they?) If I had to keep to the actual scripted events, I would have preferred for the writer to use one of AT's days to show Carter (not Landry) bringing Orlin to the planet, and Daniel delivering the impassioned speech (but not at that Rapid-fire speed that MS seems to have gotten stuck in).
                  Last edited by DEM; 08 January 2006, 05:55 AM.

Comment

Big improvement over Fourth Horseman Part I.

The good:

Lovely outing for Teal'c, especially loved his "old man" scene with Brat'ac and his graveside scene with Garak. Really nice to see him have so much to do!

Loved the entire Mitchell/Daniel/Prior segment. The boys had more than earned their right to put the prior in his place. I really enjoyed seeing them do so. BB and MS have great chemistry and the pie crust line was one of the best one liners so far this year. They also actually manged to put a little action here in our sci fi action adventure show.

The Hammond hand off was done waaaay better than the RDA hand off. Sweet scene with Hammond telling Daniel, Mitchell and Sam to look out for each other.

The bad:

There was no sense of real threat from the Ori plague in part I and part II does nothing to change that. I realize that this probably is more about budget and time restraints than bad writing. But, if you don't have the time and budget to make something effective, just don't go there.

Orlin's monotone line deliveries were really bad in part I and only slightly better here.

Way too much talking and not enough doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Dani347
                      But, is it really super to push buttons? I think Daniel could have been better used, and it would make more sense for Sam to do that kind of thing, but just because it was techie, not because it was super techie. I mean, if they had shown what went in to creating the device, that would be more on Sam's level of expertise than Daniel's. But, if someone had just said (I'm picturing it) to press this combination to lower the frequency and this combination to raise it, until it got the right level, or however it worked, that it didn't take a super techie to do that once it was explained. It just seems that if after all these years that he should be trusted not to push buttons accidentally. Or, it makes it seem like he's a puppy who just can't be house trained. I think it wasn't the best use of him in the episode, but not because the task was above his head.
                      Heres a thought... why did he have to push a "series of buttons" shoudnt you have, like, an up\down arrow like you have on radios to easily move from one frequency to another. Maybe make a little automation, you push one button and the machine automatically tries the next combination, you can hit "continue" to go to the next frequency or hit "lock" to stay right where you are. Pretty sure this type of program would take only a short time to write for the techies at the SGC.

Basically they had nothing for Daniel to do in this ep so they said... hey lets have him push some buttons so he can look busy while CM gets waxed by the prior.

Oops... that definitly should have gone in the Anti thread. Or a science and tech thread. Or a Anti bad science and tech thread... Ok I will stop this now I promise.(the postscripts that is, not my opinion)
                      Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by DEM
                        But wait!

Yes! 'commanding in Landry's absence': I'll go with that. Too bad they didn't SHOW that. (did they?) If I had to keep to the actual scripted events, I would have preferred for the writer to use one of AT's days to show Carter (not Landry) bringing Orlin to the planet, and Daniel delivering the impassioned speech (but not at that Rapid-fire speed that MS seems to have gotten stuck in).

I think they did show this, but someone can correct me. When Teal'c and Garak come through the gate, Sam told all the military to stand down. I think she said, This is Colonel Carter. Stand Down. She clearly was in charge of SGC in the scene while Landry was away.

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc
                          I think they did show this, but someone can correct me. When Teal'c and Garak come through the gate, Sam told all the military to stand down. I think she said, This is Colonel Carter. Stand Down. She clearly was in charge of SGC in the scene while Landry was away.
                          Technically at that point Landry was incapacitated in the infirmary.
                          sigpic
                          In the infinite expanse that we occupy, whose to say that something's impossible?

Comment

That is so true! The characters are losing their definition, especially Daniel. There could have been an establishing scene with Carter or Lee explaining the device to Dr. Jackson.

And Majorsal is right. I knew something was funny about the conference room scene with General Hammond, but I was so charmed by him that I missed it.

I think something interesting has been noticed here. I believe in this episode the director scheduled the actors on different days, or they were filming scenes at the same time. The actors couldn't be in the same scenes because they were either off work or filming elsewhere. They should realize that the fans can see through these tricks. It makes you pull out of the experience, like the scene where Carter hummed the theme song. I missed the rest of the scene because I'm thinking, "Amanda Tapping is humming the theme song."

I realize that sometimes this has to be done in order to finish filming an episode, but not for unnecessary cameos.

And as for an establishing shot of the plague, they could have easily added one to the news report. They had the time in the episode. It must have been cut for budgetary reasons.

Hatshepsut, Queen Pharaoh

Comment

Ah, yes, thanks. Tho Taonas is technically correct that Landry was back by that time, I can see your point. What keeps me from completely accepting that interpretation is that it took so long for Carter to say anything, as if she was unsure she should be giving them orders -- although I suppose that could have been a fault of subpar editing (i.e., holding too long on the shot of Carter). On the 3rd hand <g>, it was nice the way the guards were all awe-like and respectful when they heard Carter on the PA.

Comment

Originally posted by DEM
                                Ah, yes, thanks. Tho Taonas is technically correct that Landry was back by that time, I can see your point. What keeps me from completely accepting that interpretation is that it took so long for Carter to say anything, as if she was unsure she should be giving them orders -- although I suppose that could have been a fault of subpar editing (i.e., holding too long on the shot of Carter). On the 3rd hand <g>, it was nice the way the guards were all awe-like and respectful when they heard Carter on the PA.
                                The way I saw it, though she trusts Teal'c. Garak is just behind him, and as a prior. She must consider possibilities, and why did Teal'c bring him here. I think any hesitation is completely justified.

As for previous super SG-1 comments. Changing the frequency of a device, really doesn't sound THAT complicated, like a radio I'd think. However, I think in turning the prior to our side, that that would be Danny's strong point. Talking to the prior, explaining about the Ori, being as obnoxious as possible.
                                I think each member was in his/her right place.
                                Mitchell- His relationship with the Sodan is obvious for him to go to the prior.
                                Sam- Though at first it was merely assisting Orlin, she was needed to take command in Landry's absence.
                                Daniel- Next qualified behind Sam to turn a knob on a remote, needed to talk to Prior.
                                Teal'c- Obvious.

For all of the negative comments, I think that was the result of the writers trying to cram so much in one episode rather than bad writing or budget.

Dumerris the Cigarette Smoking Prior, gotta love em.

Comment

Working...
                                X