The Fourth Horseman, Part 2 (911)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by the fifth man
    Yep, I'm definitely watching this puppy again later - I taped it.
    Yes... The VCR is your friend and mine and anybody else who liked this ep even maybe the ones who didn't, but taped it just for the sake of taping it...

well...

you get the picture...

Comment

This was really, really bad. The entire world was in danger, but there was basically no tension whatsoever. There was no urgency either, the scenes just dragged on and on. As for emotion -- there were plenty of scenes with sad music, wooden acting and unrealistic dialog but that wasn't good enough for me. The worst scenes were the ones with "Orlin", the actor was absolutely dreadful and destroyed any suspension of disbelief I might have had.
      "I would rather have a show that a hundred people need to see than a thousand people like to see." - Joss Whedon
      "It's strange to have a creation out there: A deeply mutated version of yourself, running loose and screwing everything up. I wonder if this is how parents feel." - Dexter

Comment

Originally posted by Dani347

I think a way to make the plague hit home would have been to have the majority of the SGC infected. Make it hit closer to home, and make them act like it was hitting close to home. And, slap Lam.
        mahybe if they'd 'homaged' the gone with the wind depot scene, the one where the camera pulls back and you see body after body after body after body. shown beds full of the sick, or a truck loading up dozens of body bags, something to SHOW us that folks were dying by the handfull
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

So so episode, but not that compelling. Maybe it just felt flat for me because I watched the late showing, just after seeing a riveting episode of BSG.

I agree with others that I never really felt the tension at the possiblity of Earth begin wiped out by the Prior plague. Walter running in with updates: "Oh, it's spread to Canada and Mexico"..... "Oh, they've shut down all the airports in Europe".... didn't cut it. I also didn't feel any real concern for Landry since I haven't bonded with him as a character. It might have been more effective to have Hammond actually get the virus. That's someone we already care about and might have hit home a little more.

Have to agree that Lam's deathbed "chat" with Landry seemed a little off. Kind of like "sorry you're dying, but at least I'm managing to work out some of my issues....thanks dad!"

Sam and Orlin interaction was kind of boring, I thought. Mainly consisting of Sam coming in, concerned about Orlin losing his brain and Orlin saying "no, Sam, I must lose my brain, now go away". The ending was kind of sad. They should have sent Orlin to Merrin's planet - at least he would have had other kids like him to play with.

I liked the Sodan...that they figured out about the Ori and were ready to help. The Daniel/Mitchell banter was amusing at times but it also seemed a little forced and out of place. The pie crust line was funny though. Couldn't figure out how CSM Prior got his powers back at the end - did the device stop working? Oh and shallow comment but I can't stand Daniel's bandana now. Looked okay when he was younger and in scenes where he's doing his archeology thing but when he's hanging out with all the military guys it makes him look like a doofus.

The best part of the episode was Teal'c, Bra'tac and Gerak. Thought that was well done - CJ rocked.
          Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
            mahybe if they'd 'homaged' the gone with the wind depot scene, the one where the camera pulls back and you see body after body after body after body. shown beds full of the sick, or a truck loading up dozens of body bags, something to SHOW us that folks were dying by the handfull
            That might have helped.

I keep thinking of that episode of 24 a couple of seasons ago when the virus got loose. They had all those people locked up in that hotel and the agent had to shoot a man who tried to leave. You saw the affects of the virus and it became very personal, both for the people who had the disease and those who tried to contain it.
            Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

When the return of “SG-1” came on my radar (read: my TiVo recording list), I wondered whether or not the series would still have the momentum that it gained in the first half of the season. After all, this is the first time that the series is coming back with Mitchell as an established member of the cast; the season premiere acknowledged his “outsider” status. Would his presence be distracting, or would it feel completely natural?

“Completely” may not be the word for it, but I was surprised at how it felt right for Mitchell to be there. It wasn’t an intrusion, that’s for sure. Granted, my personal disposition towards Browder as an actor may have something to do with that, but he wasn’t as jarring a presence as, say, Landry. Maybe it’s the hair, but Landry was driving me nuts in this episode.

In retrospect, it probably had something to do with the visit from Hammond. Hammond looms very large in terms of the series’ continuity; in a number of ways, his departure was more jarring than O’Neill’s exit. Landry stands on his own well enough, but Bridges is no Don Davis. It’s a minor point, but if Hammond had been the one infected with the plague, it might have been a more anxious moment. (And it would have avoided that awkward scene between Landry and Lam, which simply didn’t work.)

In terms of the plot, this is one of those instances where the severity of the first half simply cannot be fully realized in the second half. The most important points are touched upon in terms of the plague, especially the difficulties raised with the international oversight committee (which better factor into the second half of the season), but only a few thousand killed? Even with the vaccine (which is not the same as a cure, damn it), the death toll should have been in the hundreds of thousands at the very least and probably in the millions. But how practical would that have been?

There’s also the problem of Orlin. Thankfully, the writers killed him, because that child actor was painful to watch. Sure, the producers were going for the cheap seats with a dying kid who sacrifices himself to save humanity, but that kind of role requires a compelling actor who gets the audience to care. I didn’t care. And so he became little more than a source of exposition for me, which is non-ideal.

I also didn’t buy the simplicity of the conversion of Gerak. Gerak as a serious threat to the freedom of the Jaffa Nation was an interesting idea that really should have been explored longer. Gerak throws off the control of the Ori a bit too quickly, and so his death becomes a little too convenient and predictable. More importantly, with Bra’tac as a leader, will Teal’c have any reason to slip into Preacher Mode? In lieu of Badass Mode, that’s when Teal’c as a character is at his best.

Even so, the episode had its moments. Teal’c had some compelling moments. Mitchell’s showdown with the Cigarette-Smoking Prior was fun (it was good to see William B. Davis again!). The Sodan are always fun, since Tony Todd makes almost anything better, and it gave Mitchell and Daniel more interaction. I wasn’t thrilled with Carter’s part of the episode, though, and I can only hope that she gets a good subplot soon. With the mid-season event out of the way and the point of the Ori conversion revealed, the season can continue with its usual focus on character.

Comment

I've only skimmed the posts, so I'll probably repeat what others have said. Still, it's what we do, right? It was a busy episode--like they were trying to cover a lot of territory. I'm sorry, but Lam's little epiphany seemed a bit overdue and I didn't feel any sympathy for her. I agree with those who said Daniel and Mitchell were a bit too flip in the Prior scenes. On the other hand, maybe RDA could have pulled off the "flipness covering concern" about situation. Perhaps the writers & TPTB think they can just feed lines to anyone and they will come off the same way as if from Jack. I suspect more and more that RDA's contributions had been underestimated. Good Teal'c scenes.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver

Yeah, I think that would have been a good way of doing it.

keshou:
                  Couldn't figure out how CSM Prior got his powers back at the end - did the device stop working? Oh and shallow comment but I can't stand Daniel's bandana now.
                  1. I figured the Ori gave him his powers back. If that's so, I have no explanation for why they waited, or why they let the powers be zapped in the first place, but that's what I thought. 2. I've always hated that bandana. Either keep his head uncovered, or bring the boonie out of storage.
                  I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

<snip>

I love this episode!! They didn't totally kill off Orlin, but I feel so bad about him. I felt the tension of Earth being wiped out. I had thought Cigarette-Smoking Proir was going to help Earth and he was killed. I was then left, "OMG!! How do we save Earth now??"
                    Last edited by Skydiver; 07 January 2006, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MediaSavant
                      It was missing a sense of urgency, a sense of drama. I watch Battlestar Galactica right afterwards and I was on the edge of my seat. That show makes you *feel* the desperation of the characters and the danger they are in.

Stargate was more like "ho hum, thousands of people are dying, let's make some jokes. <wink wink>".

It's really escapist TV and "scifi lite".
                      Even though I fought it for quite awhile, I think it's pretty much undeniable that Battlestar Galactica has clearly become the best show for now. I wouldn'tve said that a season ago-
                      -----------------
                      On another topic, I've seen Lexa be great on Andromeda AND the 4400. I'm blaming her rough start on the writers and Beau-
                      Last edited by Battousai the Manslayer; 07 January 2006, 10:27 AM.

Comment

so orlin doesn't find a cure? what happens to him?

Comment

Originally posted by Domesticated Equine
                          This was really, really bad. The entire world was in danger, but there was basically no tension whatsoever. There was no urgency either, the scenes just dragged on and on. As for emotion -- there were plenty of scenes with sad music, wooden acting and unrealistic dialog but that wasn't good enough for me. The worst scenes were the ones with "Orlin", the actor was absolutely dreadful and destroyed any suspension of disbelief I might have had.
                          Ah, the acting. I'm not sure what it was. I don't think it was wooden (from my perspective) but it was overly low key. I never got the feeling that the characters cared that there was this plague that could wipe out the planet. It was more like the problem was some minor thing. But, funny, I actually found Orlin to be pretty good. The music got in the way (I don't want to be manipulated so blatantly), and my heartstrings didn't get tugged, but I did feel that he felt frustrated and determined and sick.
                          I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

Originally posted by Dani347
                            But, funny, I actually found Orlin to be pretty good. The music got in the way (I don't want to be manipulated so blatantly), and my heartstrings didn't get tugged, but I did feel that he felt frustrated and determined and sick.
                            I have to admit, I was laughing when he spilled the vial on the floor and got yelled at by one of the scientists. Only to walk right out of the quarantine area...I thought he would spread disease around or something.

Comment

So, the big episode. I did my usual little commentary thing, just for the heck of it. Wasn't as satisfying though. The episode moved a bit too slow for my taste, especially when I watched SGA and BSG afterwards. You can always tell when more effort is being put into one show than another when they're related to each other. It's like how one twin is fatter or stronger or taller than another. Same with Lost and Alias. Alias goes down the television show sink while Lost goes on strong. SG1 oozes by while SGA never ceases to impress. And BSG rocks them ALL. So, anyway, a few things worthy of mention:

1. Teal'c. While a new hairdo is like a new LJ layout, it's always in order to symbolize growth, maturity and a new beginning....exactly how much gel is ON that Nat King Cole conk??

2. The telekenisis thing...is getting a wee bit old...

3. Global Pandemic...

4. That new opener. While the music is back - that gate is a freakin' video game! What happened to the wonderful prop gate?? And the music was a bit low on the bass. The power is gone...

5. Mitchell's line: "You mean kill them." No, he meant give them gifts of Tylenol and Benadryl - Of COURSE he meant kill them! Don't kick the dead horse, buddy boy!

6. Sam uses a Dell?? Awesome! Was that an XPS??

7. How many times was the word 'Brain' used during that whole scene? Brain this, brain that, Calvin is more scientific when he's explaining his Transmogrifier.

8. I think it's so cute how mini-Orlin can call Carter "stupid" so subtly.

9. Too. Many. Commercials.

10. I notice that although Mini-Orlin's memory is slipping like grains of sand through his fingers, he has plenty of time to talk. Quit yappin' and start typin' boy!

11. CSM!!...you looked better when there were cigarettes sticking out of you...

12. HAMMOND!! MY BEAUTIFUL BALD LEADER!!!

13. Whats with the barrage of in-crisis wit and metaphors? The Daniel Jackson and Cam Mitchell Comedy team everybody! Give 'em a hand! Buff'n Stuff and striving to make you laugh!

14. Averha-what?

15. DADDY! - I mean..Hammond! That scene almost made me cry. Stop plucking my beating heart out of my chest PTB!!!! Hammond!! Sam!! Danny! T!! Ja - ...

16. Lam's going to talk about this NOW in front of a gazillion other people? What is this, Oprah?

17. Oooh, spontaneous combustion...

18. It's a job for Mulder and Scully! The mission to discover the source behind a mysterious plague thatlasted for a grueling hour! In our time anyway...X-Files revival anyone?

19. Another depressing moment. I think it could have been pulled off better. And reeks of character sabotage. Poor little Orlin. Reduced to playing puzzles with some kind blonde stranger. Where is he, a home? Anyway...could have been written a little better. Something like when little Cassandra was on the verge of blowing up. Another touching moment. This was too short to really be touching, just sorta sad and depressing. *sigh*
                              TEAM SG1 LIVES

Comment

The Orlin/Sam scenes, save for the very last one, were awful. I remember that the original Orlin spoke in a 'dead-pan' style, but it didn't work then, and having the kid speak like that didn't work now (it's like Bud York's performance in "Harold and Maude"). Each scene was about exactly what it was about - there was no subtext. Good TV says things once - each orlin/sam scene simple recapped that orlin was fading and Sam felt helpless - it was written to be a direct tear-jerker, but completely failed because it offered no character development, just sappy dialouge with no meaning underneath it. terrible.

Teal'c's first half of the episode was also one of those convenient scenes - Teal'c and Bratak walk 'n talk, T gets an idea, Bretak smiles, nods, and off they go! Phhhfffft... But the second half, as has been stated, stole the show. It was a little corny when T asked Garreck to kill him, but the scene was good, and that made the corny moment not only acceptable, but rather enjoyable also. These were some very well done scenes.

The other two stories (Cam and Daniel on the planet as well as the General and his daughter) weren't very effective. I, for one, thought the banter with the prior was ridiculous - stupid one-liners that let the writer avoid putting any real though into the scene. i did like the csm playing the prior - too bad he had to die. The general and orlin's speech with the prior was so-so - not bad, not good. But, having the general speak about the prior's children was a dead give-away that something would happen between him and his daughter later - it's really too bad that Lam's dialogue was so on-the-nose in that scene (which is, as any writer will tell you, a big no-no you only get away with once you actually have a job writing for television). Landry gave his best performance right there, but that speech killed the moment (a slow, tortuous death to my ears).

One last thing - I agree with all the people stating that we needed to see the devastation of the plague. Telling instead of showing on TV goes against the very nature of the medium. All that happened, in each scene where the virus was discussed, was Walter or someone else telling us that the spreading of the virus was getting worse (as to be expected), but they tried to make some big dramatic moment out of it each time, and it just made it absolutely awful. it gives it no feeling to just tell us what's going on - it doesn't make it real or tangible. it makes it stupid, and unacceptable in my opinion.

Originally posted by James_the_Wraith_Sympathiser
                                I sometimes wonder why, if people are going to analyse the show so much, why bother watching at all? you'll get hardly any entertainment from watching the show if you sit there thinking of reasons why it is good or not, instead of just enjoying the show for what it is.
                                I respect your opinion, but the point you disregarded is that an analysis comes after watching the show - i did not like this episode, and THEN came up with the reasons why.

I would have disliked the episode regardless of whether or not I reviewed it in this thread - at least this way, I give meaning to my claim instead of just stating - "It wasn't good, and I don't know why it wasn't."

If I did it that way, then there would truly be no purpose for me watching the show.

Comment

Working...
                                X