No announcement yet.

Beachhead (906)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally a break from Vala although when she is not the focus and is more in the background she is tolerable. Like the supergate and YAY Sam is back!
    sigpic

Comment

The ori try to invade a planet but Cameron,Vala,carter,teal`c & Daniel manage to stop them by destroing the supergate & sending the goa`uld to area 51

Comment

Yeah, Endy. It's that simple. And we're not gonna call every ship that we find ''Enterprise''!
        "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

I'd just been watching it again right now. I'm a little curious what the implication of the Jaffa on the planet that the prior landed on was. Sam said there were no lifesigns outside the field when they arrived. Bra'tac said "thousands of lives were lost" when talking about it in the later episodes, but are we supposed to believe he killed the entire population? Or that they mostly fled? If he did kill them all I guess Kallana was fairly sparsely populated for an entire planet.
          "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

Yeah, I expect he killed them all. The Jaffa of some Goa'uld were rather decimated by prolonged battles anyway. I expect Kallana may have been abandoned for quite some time before it was found by a band of rebel Jaffa. Their only way off the planet was out of bounds after the Prior arrived and they rejected his offer.

This is my favorite episode of the season so far.
            sigpic

Comment

Sam's back yippee! Nice joke Jack played on Landry haha.

This was a pretty good ep. I had to laugh when the prior flung the Jaffa into the sky haha. It just looked hilarious.

Trust Gerak to show up and make things worse. Was the Prometheus actually strong enough to take on 3 Ha'taks at the time? It had the upgraded Asgard shields didn't it?

Our first introduction to the super gate. Using the black hole to suck in the planet was cool.

Bye bye Vala. For now.
              sigpic

Comment

My LiveJournal post

I love those Supergates. Can't wait to see a working one again, gotta love the great big kawoosh
                "Thanks to denial, I'm immortal."
                "A big 'Hello' to all intelligent life out there, and for everyone else, the secret is to bang the rocks together, guys!"
                "Excuse me, barmaid? You seem to have brought me the wrong offspring. I ordered an extra large boy with beefy arms, extra guts and glory on the side. This here, this is a talking fishbone!"
                "I'm Jack. It means... what's in the box?"

sigpic
                >-- Czechs Rock! >--

Comment

Lovely to have a team together again. Seeing the strength of the Ori is creepy and I'm impressed with the supergates.

Good episode. I love the look on Nerus' face when Landry says, "Hunger."
                  Calculus and Alcohol don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Comment

I preferred Nerus in this episode than in the later one he appears in...he's more serious and menacing here, in the other eppy he became a tad too comedic for my tastes....but Maury Chaykin was an excellent actor in both....sad he's no longer with us...

Deeds xx
                    sigpic
                    Thanks to slizzie1986 for signature
                    MSOL - Official Website of Michael Shanks

Comment

Originally posted by NowIWillDestroyAbydos View Post
                      Best Episode thus far of Season 9
                      Loved the Goa'uld, best one ever seen on Stargate
                      Good to have Carter back.
                      Kinda disagree with point #2. Point #1 would remain true until the end of the season, I think.

The whole scene near the end of the ep (when Vala is saving the day), Joel's score was just amazing. Together with that and the sound the singularity as it exploded, it was beautiful.

Mark Savela is doing some amazing things with the Visual Effects, some stuff that probably hasn't been done in the franchise before.

Tomorrow, Ba'al is back.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by discodiva View Post
                        I preferred Nerus in this episode than in the later one he appears in...he's more serious and menacing here, in the other eppy he became a tad too comedic for my tastes....but Maury Chaykin was an excellent actor in both....sad he's no longer with us...

Deeds xx
                        I loved seeing him "gulp" right after landry said "Hunger"....

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                          I loved seeing him "gulp" right after landry said "Hunger"....

Me too....the scenes between Nerus and Landry were great in S.9....both Maury and Beau worked brilliantly together...

I have to say that S.9 and 10 got some great "cameos" from actors....working so well with the regular cast...Julian Sands and Michael Shanks, Maury and Beau, Tony Todd and Ben, Lou Gossett Jr with both Beau and Chris Judge, and of course Michael and Neil Jackson - awesome stuff...made for some great viewing imho...

Deeds xx
                          sigpic
                          Thanks to slizzie1986 for signature
                          MSOL - Official Website of Michael Shanks

Comment

Another solid episode for S9. Honestly, I like each of the first eight in one way or another. Beachhead does really stick out because of the introduction of the Supergate, the return of Carter, and the continuing development of Vala.

This is where the writers did a great job during this season. Vala had no chance at being an endearing character until the prior episode, The Powers That Be. She was sexy comic relief with a lack of morals. Vala developed quite a bit when she returned to the planet she ruled as Qetesh.

Even so, no one took her seriously as Beachhead closed - probably including most of us watching. Yet she clearly had the best idea to stop the Super Gate. I'm sure she had no intention to sacrifice herself (and she really didn't), but she proved to be a smart and capable member of the team.

I really liked how the Prior used the tendencies of the Ori's enemies against them. To me, it showed that they had been studying exactly what the Tau'ri and the Jaffa would do in response to them setting up a shield on a planet.

I agree with those who liked the character of Nerus as well here, as he played an integral role in getting the humans to the planet and encouraging them to trust to violent action instead of logical action and observation. Good character brought alive by a fine character actor. I also continue to love the differences in each General. Bringing in Beau Bridges was a sublime choice and I really like Landry. No one can ever be Hammond, so they never attempted to recapture what Don Davis brought to the show. It worked well and gave us three distinctively different leaders of the SGC (not counting the blond version of Dr. Weir) with their own great personalities.

I know there are some mediocre episodes coming up. Prototype and The Scourge tend to stand out to me, but neither is a bad episode. Though I will say that I think the beginning of the second half of the season is weaker than the start. The Fourth Horseman is a good two parter, but things are more hit or miss until we get to Arthur's Mantle. Collateral Damage, come to think of it, seems a bit derivative of a Next Generation episode where Riker was accused of murder - it's not exactly the same, but I always think of that ep during the viewing.

Regardless, Beachhead is a great episode that escalates the Ori threat, introduces a great new character (Nerus), brings character back, continues to add depth to Vala, and introduces to the super cool Super Gate.

Comment

This is the first episode I enjoyed of season 9 with this re-watch. I'd forgotten how good it actually was.

There was a great sense of helplessness in the face of the sneaky Ori using their vast knowledge to use a black hole and a Stargate as a means to open up a way into the Milky Way galaxy. Clever too how the Ori used the Goa'uld Nerus and fooled the Tau'ri and Jaffa into feeding the force field by giving it just what it needed when they attacked it with their weapons and bomb.

You have to cheer for Vala when she risked her life to stop the formation of the supergate, and feel a sense of relief when the final piece couldn't slot into place.

Comment

And then a sense of loss when she tried to ring out, but didn't show up on the Oddessy.

Comment

Working...
                                X