No announcement yet.

The Powers That Be (905)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I loved this ep. I'm hoping Daniel will get to use some of the hidden powers Replicarter helped him unlock in Reckoning against the Priors.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalliope
      What Vala's wardrobe has anything to do with it? I love Vala's craziness, wildness, great sense of humor and actually a sort of golden heart hidden somewhere which I hope Daniel was able to notice in this episode Never said a word about her wardrobe...

Sort of a heart of gold? Because Vala finally shows some concern some someone other than herself; actually shows some genuine compassion /tears for suffering people, she now has sort of a heart of gold? Sounds to me like she's just showing some human feeling, which is very different from having a heart of gold, IMO.

While she may have a great sense of humor, is crazy and fun/annoying, she still is a liar, a thief, an opportunist, a woman of questionable moral values -- not someone Daniel would likely get involved with romantically, I should think. (After all, he is the "moral compass" of the SGC, isn't he?) If Daniel wants to really like and care for her as a friend in spite of all her shortcomings, that's great. But why that should turn into anything more than friendship is puzzling to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Nightspore
        Sort of a heart of gold? Because Vala finally shows some concern some someone other than herself; actually shows some genuine compassion /tears for suffering people, she now has sort of a heart of gold? Sounds to me like she's just showing some human feeling, which is very different from having a heart of gold, IMO.

While she may have a great sense of humor, is crazy and fun/annoying, she still is a liar, a thief, an opportunist, a woman of questionable moral values -- not someone Daniel would likely get involved with romantically, I should think. (After all, he is the "moral compass" of the SGC, isn't he?) If Daniel wants to really like and care for her as a friend in spite of all her shortcomings, that's great. But why that should turn into anything more than friendship is puzzling to me.
        We actually doesn't know the REAL Vala and unless the writers are going to give us this opportunity in the future, we will never know what kind of person she really is. I want to know it, personally. Everything about her past, what events and what people 'cause her being what she is, and I believe there's a great potential here and I really hope the writers are smart enough to know how to use it and not to waste it. Of course, it all depends on Claudia's availability...

Comment

I like Vala, but tptb should just use her from time to time, to shake things up a little for our good Daniel Jackson. She is great at that. Can't wait for Sam's return though. Seeing sg-1 back together will be sweet.
          sigpic
          MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
          "...phu...ah..."
          "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
          Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

We actually doesn't know the REAL Vala and unless the writers are going to give us this opportunity in the future, we will never know what kind of person she really is. I want to know it, personally. Everything about her past, what events and what people 'cause her being what she is, and I believe there's a great potential here and I really hope the writers are smart enough to know how to use it and not to waste it. Of course, it all depends on Claudia's availability...
            You care about getting to know more about Vala – Within the confines of Stargate SG-1, I do not. I do think CB is a very talented actress and I think Vala (however annoying) is good as a recurring character. However, and I think this is the point, for a large part of the Stargate audience (a large part, not all), Vala is NOT one of the regular members of SG-1 and as such, I don't care to see too much time focused on getting to know her/what causes her to be like she is, etc. I personally would rather get to know Mitchell (who is now going to be in the position O'Neill was years ago -- leading SG-1). I might like to get to know more about Landry, a member of the SGC, or maybe even Dr. Lam. I want to see what they do with Carter. And I'd sure as heck like to see a few episodes where Teal'c has something to say and do. IMO, *he* deserves time focused on him rather than on Vala.

You know, TPTB could add another character to the show...say Claudia Christian from Babylon 5, and create a new character. CC was great on B5, she's a very good actress and very beautiful, IMO. That might help the ratings even more. And we could get to know this new character and the writers could spend time focusing on her. The show then ceases to be much like Stargate SG-1 and becomes something else.

I do not want to cause any division between the segments of fans, but I want to watch Stargate, not some other hybrid. I'm open to change, but too many changes to Stargate and they lose me as a viewer. Now, they certainly would gain you, but they'd lose me and it would be a wash.

So, I guess it will be interesting to see exactly WHAT the writers have in store for us.

Comment

I really think that the Ori storyline is revitalizing SG-1 in every way. As much as I miss Jack and General Hammond (and I miss General Hammond more), I really like where this storyline is going. They've created an enemy that is incredibly dangerous without them being overtly all that menacing. When the people of that planet bowed down before the Prior and began chanting to the Ori, I literally felt that this was the only rational course for them to follow. They are already impoverished, and then they have someone coming and infecting them with a plague if they don't worship their gods. Their only options here were to capitulate or die. Nothing Daniel could have said would have made them choose extinction.

And as glad as I'll be to have Sam back, I'll be sorry to see Vala go. She's been really fun. I love what Claudia was doing with that character.

-IMF
              "There's not a little boy born who wouldn't tear the world apart to save his mummy... and this little boy can." --The Doctor.
              "The plastic tips at the ends of shoelaces are called Aglets. Their true purpose is sinister."--The Question.
              BAD WOLF!!!

Comment

Changes are good. Actually they're what made me to give SG-1 a chance this year BTW, these changes drew much more viewers than you think, so if the more conservative ones decide to step back because of too many changes (in their opinion), it wouldn't make a big difference, because there're tons of the new others who'd love them.

Comment

Changes are good. Actually they're what made me to give SG-1 a chance this year BTW, these changes drew much more viewers than you think, so if the more conservative ones decide to step back because of too many changes (in their opinion), it wouldn't make a big difference, because there're tons of the new others who'd love them.
                  I'm curious as to what figures you have to back up this statement? The viewership according to the official rating hasn't changed much for better or for worse from last season so who are all of these "tons" of new people that you speak of? If anything, and I'm not saying this as a statement of fact but merely a guestimate on my part, it appears as though the number of new fans have balanced out the number of people who have stopped watching.

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

No, changes are not always good, you know that for yourself, I'm sure.

I'm happy for you that you can now see 2 of your favorite Farscape (Claudia and Ben) stars on television. Clearly, you are the viewers TPTB wanted to target when they brought them on.

I don't know how many new viewers these changes added...do you?

I think this discourse is at an impasse.

Comment

Excellent episode... a little bit of everything.
                      commenting on the ending first...

* Oh boy! Stargate Command has got even bigger problems than before! (super *eek!!*) When the Ori struck down Col.Mitchell and then healed him, he's now in a similar situation as Vala. The Ori staff (glowy bulb) device literally brought her back to life (in her case: from being burnt cinders).

Daniel hasn't been completely struck down... still wondering why not, and if it has something to do with his last ascension/descension. But he does feel pain, so that would make him human again.

Mitchell now has a choice. To turn and believe, or refuse and die. Scary proposition there... and where are those non-intervention policy Ancients?! Still non-intervening?
                      ========

* Anyway, General Landry: "dad" to Dr. Carolyn Lam. I'm guessing the job he did split him and "mom" apart, to which Carolyn hasn't forgiven him for. If it was military related, why in creation is she working for the governement if she's a hired civilian? (Pay or benefits any better?) Definite family issues there, anyway...

========
                      * here's funny *viewer* moment during the beginning:
                      When the SG-1 remnant team first meets the people of the planet Vala's Goa'uld once ruled. The first guy runs away only to bring back reinforcements and Jaffa staff weapons pointed at the 3-some. But when Daniel comes forward between Teal'c and Mitchell, and the other guys suddenly apologize and bow down to worship making everyone think it was Daniel they were doing this for - and the camera finally pans revealing its actually Vala standing / walking behind Daniel that the "worshippers" were actually doing this for.

Comment

Frankly, I'd be happy if Vala disappeared off the show and never appeared again. But that's my opinion and granted, it doesn't hold a lot of water since I won't be watching the show anyway, but it'd be one less thing for me to complain about and believe it or not, I'd actually like that.

As for "never really knowing the REAL so-and-so". Pfft. We can't base our opinions on what Vala MIGHT be like (well, not RATIONALLY, anyway), we can only know what the producers care to show us. Personally, I think we got some interesting insight into her character in this ep, but that doesn't mean I want to see her again because everything else I've heard about her appalls me.

There are those who despise Jonas. There are those who loathe Pete. Personally, I liked both of them, but I'm not going to run around the board trying to shove my opinions down the naysayers' throats, trying to force them to agree with me and negging them when they say something contrary to my views. That would be a pointless waste of time and it would only piss off a lot of people. This board is supposed to be about sharing opinions- DIVERSE opinions- not about making everyone kowtow to YOUR viewpoint. Generally speaking.

If people don't like what they're shown, well, it's a crying shame, ain't it? But they aren't wrong for feeling that way and they can hardly be condemned for not understanding the "real" character.

If Vala is your sole reason for watching the show, that's just peachy. Feel free to wax poetic about the glories of the character. But keep the insults, the arrogance, the superiority and the condescension out of it. It's only YOUR opinion that she's the greatest thing since sliced bread and your opinion is no better than anyone else's, even if you think it is.

Fans have every right to disagree. That's why this is a DISCUSSION board. But while fans may have a right to disagree, NO ONE has a right to insult others or to imply that they are worth less over a ridiculous difference of opinion.

If you look up "opinion" in any dictionary, I guarantee you that "fact" is not part of its definition.

Stargate is a fantastic show. It lasted for eight long and glorious seasons without any help from the Farscape crew and it could quite possibly have continued on for eight more WITHOUT them. The fact that Ben and Claudia joined the cast does not mean that Stargate sucked without them, it doesn't mean that it would have failed without them, and it doesn't necessarily follow that the show is better with them. You may have the OPINION that things are improved with their presence, but it's an opinion ONLY.

Ratings are tricky beasts and can be twisted to say anything you want. There are those saying that the ratings are WORSE because of the changes this season... and there are people saying that they're BETTER. And there are a million and one reasons given for both, some of which have nothing to do with who's on the cast list.

This is an EPISODE DISCUSSION THREAD. That means it's here to discuss the various points, facts, issues, and opinions regarding the ep The Powers That Be. It is not a "Hallowed is the Vala" thread, it is not a "bow down in grateful worship" thread, it isn't even a "you all suck for still watching this crap" thread. If you have a VALID point to make about the ep, if you have an HONEST opinion to share about the ep, then this is the place to do it. Otherwise, there are thousands of other threads on GW where other opinions on specific topics can be shared.

Personally, I hope the ratings are good. I wasn't highly enamoured of the ep, but I know that many others were- mostly, from what I'm seeing here- because of the story it told and because of the somewhat better-than-usual sense of team.

Good luck, Martin.

Comment

Originally posted by EventHorizon
                          Okay, I don't know of any other way to voice my opinion here, so I'll let it fly. I may be speaking for myself, and if I am, so be it, but...

It is quite annoying when you combine "like" threads. Yes we all know that somebody already started a thread about TPTB. Good for them. I know there are some that get their panties in a knot when this happens because they want to be the "official thread starter" on a given topic.

Anyone else agree?
                          No, I don't agree with you, because sometimes you miss the forest for the trees.

Morjana

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
                          SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
                          Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

I don't mean to gang up on you, Kalliope, but, TPTB does tell us exactly what kind of person she is and it in no way contradicts any of the other eps. She travelled to this planet, lied to the people about her still being a god, forced them to continue in slave labor under the implied threat of mass torture and killing (she'd obviously done it when a host to Quetesh and rather than be horrified by it, used the power behind the threat), did nothing to improve the standard of living of the people, and used at the very least that one guy for personal pleasure.

Her only interest in going back was to recoup her treasures, not caring a whit that the Ori were going to be the people's new task masters.

This is the REAL Vala.

If the REAL Vala appears to be growing a strange new-to-her organ called a heart, I wouldn't say it was gold, just yet. It is unfortunate that it is about to be cut out almost as soon as it sprouts.
                            Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
                            "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
                            One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
                            resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
                            confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
                            A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
                            The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Originally posted by Nightspore

Yes, I agree with you regarding Vala.

Also...there were FOUR claims against Vala -- we know that SLAVERY is one of them. How nice that she continued to enslave those people, just so that she could have some treasure. All that pretty gold jewelry, and gold trinkets and what not. Paid for by the blood, sweat and tears of her slaves. They must feel wonderful to wear and to look at -- knowing its price.

HOWEVER...as I mentioned back in the "Origin" thread, it does look like TPTB are busy setting up a situation in "Beachhead" where Vala can redeem herself. And redemption is one of the hallmarks of Stargate.

So...we'll see how this plays out, hopefully, in next week's episode, "Beachhead." We have (we being the fans), after all, allowed for the redemption of other characters in Stargate SG-1...

Morjana

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
                              SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
                              Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

"No, I don't agree with you, because sometimes you miss the forest for the trees."
                                -Morjana

(I don't know how to do the "Originally posted by..." thing)

I am not going to discuss this any further, because obviously in the minority and I don't want to argue something that won't change a thing.

But, I guess I just see the other side of it. I don't care about the forest... anyone can see the forest. I want to talk about the squirrel running in the undrebrush. It's just my opinion. I am not against these "episode" threads, but let people have smaller discussions, too... live and let live.

Comment

Working...
                                X