No announcement yet.

The Powers That Be (905)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have to say that the first 20 minutes or so bored me to tears. I didn't love nor hate the first four episodes and was really expecting nothing wonderful this time either.

However the last 40 minutes did pick up and got my interest. I just wish the whole episode had my interest.

It was nice to see the soft side of Vala-I had expected that once CB got comfortable with her character that we would be able to see that. Although I suppose it was Martin Gero that managed to really pull Vala out this episode. And the jello scene with CB and BB was really funny.

Someone pointed out on the other lists as well that Daniel had asked a very good question about the Ori and what they wanted-and that is a good question. I do hope that they build on that and actually do manage to follow through on that plot line. IMHO-the boys from Vancouver have a tendency to forget minor things like continuity.
    Franklin said, "They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

"Do or do not. There is no try." Yoda

Comment

Martin Gero should definitely write more Vala-centered episodes in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik Bloodaxe
        It's not that I can't believe someone forgot that Daniel and Vala are still bound together again, it's...
        Excuse me...where I did say anything about Daniel going through the Gate **without** Vala?

If Vala doesn't go through the Gate, obviously Daniel doesn't either.

My point was...they LET VALA THROUGH THE GATE!!!

He had a good point. Why should ascended beings care about the mortal realm at all? The goa'uld lived lives of luxury and had the best armies and labor from their deception, so clearly there was some form of "logic" that they subscribed to. And at what point was he expecting them to have any regard for the "common good"?
        Daniel is more or less subscribing to the practice of apeasement when he tries to negotiate with the Goa'uld, or Anubis, or now, The Ori. Apeasement, by and large, has not had a really good track record in OUR Human history, so why would it work with Aliens?

Daniel certainly hasn't had a good track record with apeasement -- and Jack tried it once or twice himself (The Other Side is the first example that come to mind), and it didn't work well for Jack either.

Be quite the trick for him to have learned anything from that, considering that he FORGOT all those memories.

-Bloodaxe
        I think YOU'RE forgetting that Daniel has said (in more than one episode since Season Seven) most of his memories have returned to him.

Daniel mentioned that in the second episode of Season Seven, "Homecoming."

JONAS: "You know, when we first met, you told me that, uh, the issues between my planet's nations would seem insignificant once I found out what was really going on up there."

DANIEL: "Yeah, I remember that."
        JONAS: "You do?"
        DANIEL: "Yeah."
        JONAS: "Hey, that's great."
        DANIEL: "It's just...it's all kinda comin' back."

And in regard to Abydos...it's not only DANIEL who appears to have forgotten about Abydos, but everyone at the SGC as well. We haven't heard a peep about our culpability in regard to the demise of Abydos. I've always wondered if that's one of the reasons why the Jaffa and the Tok'ra gave up the alliance so easily in "Death Knell."

Morjana

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
        SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
        Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by morjana
          I think YOU'RE forgetting that Daniel has said (in more than one episode since Season Seven) most of his memories have returned to him.
          Yes, but only the pre-ascension memories. He got a few glimpses of what happened during his ascension, but it has been glimpses. Later Replicarter did help him to get back some knowledge of the ancients, but I do not think it included actual memories of what he was doing the whole year.
          Still, you are right that Teal'c, for one, should remember how the deal with Anubis ended. And everyone who read the files, which we know Mitchell did, and Daniel probably did, to catch up with the world.

Comment

Interesting episode.

I kinda liked this episode although I was skeptical at first. The relationship between Carolyn Lam and Landry was what I expected. Divorced parents, Carolyn stayed with mother, mother and daughter changes surname back to maiden surname. Father trying to patch things up with the daughter after spending so many years away because he was in the USAF obviously.

Fantastic character developments IMO.

The Priors are getting more creepy by the minute and I actually would like to see one set off from their galaxy to ours, cos I want to see their [Ori's] Stargate, is it different? Is it the Mk1 version? Or even a Mk3?

This episode definitely reminded me of, one of SG-1's earlier episodes. All in all, not bad - 8.5/10
            Go SG-1! Go ATLANTIS!
            WOOHOO!

<<Amanda Tapping's the only sweet hunny bunny for me>>

Comment

Daniel is a naive idiot. You would think after 8 years he would know how people work. He shouldve stayed dead. Anyways....

I thought it was a decent ep. Shows us how powerful the Priors really are. Thought it was kind of slow some parts though. But decent.
              Last edited by TechnoBoY; 14 August 2005, 06:54 AM.
              "...smart, funny, exciting, touching..." - Newsday

Comment

Originally posted by LoveYouBaby
                The Priors are getting more creepy by the minute and I actually would like to see one set off from their galaxy to ours, cos I want to see their [Ori's] Stargate, is it different? Is it the Mk1 version? Or even a Mk3?
                I agree. After seeing those sweet rings in "Origin," I really want to see more of the Ori's technology. I'm curious about how they power their gates for intergalactic trips, too.
                Thornbird: I'm Major Robort Thornbird. And you are?
                Jack: Captain James T. Kirk of the starship Enterprise.
                Thornbird: Your dog tags say otherwise.
                Jack: ... They're lying.

Comment

Now, I may have misinterpreted, but as far as Daniel being a naive idiot goes, I have to disagree.

In the early seasons, Daniel was constantly trying to make peace with other species and peoples, whether they were hostile or hospitable. However, with the Ori, I believe that it is less peacemaking and moreso persuading. With an enemy this powerful, Daniel can only persuade the people around him not to accept the Ori.

Of course, there is quite the complication now. In Origin, Daniel tries to persuade the Doci and I think by now he realizes that the Ori won't change their ways. In The Powers That be, Daniel tries to persuade a civilization to not accept the Ori, as both he and the Prior throw out convincing arguments. Hopefully, in episodes to come, Daniel can win over a civilization. Right now they constantly keep losing (well, only twice, but that's 2/2), and hopefully Samantha Carter's brain can create a solution to these plagues (because Earth is still around for the second half of Season Nine, I suspect that at least we beat the Ori in The Fourth Horseman, even if not earlier).

As far as the episode goes, I notice that many are getting bored of the Ori, and their habit of beating SG-Mitchell and his followers (not yet SG-1). I'd say that since they were only featured heavily in two episodes (9.03 and 9.05) that they need to be given a chance. The fact that the almighty, all knowing SG-1 can't win this time is an interesting plot twist, though (call me sadistic) I would have liked to see this civilization die and watch the guilt that follows, especially since it would cause even more developement from Vala.

Despite what I wanted to see, I still enjoyed the episode. As I said, we got to see through Vala and discover that she knew these people, even if she was posing, and when she realized that their lives had been wasted serving her, she tried her hardest to save them so that they could overcome the Ori and know a life of freedom from false gods. Unfortunately, she failed. I liked the final "Tell others" line, and Vala, Daniel, and Teal'c staring speechless at the Ori. I also liked how Daniel, usually trying to convince the Ori to stop, tells the Prior to save these people despite what he thinks. I also liked Vala's anger that brought her to the point of trying to physically harm the Ori, though we all knew that would never work.

So, all in all, great episode. As for characters:

Mitchell-I'm waiting for a bigger part for him, haven't seen a Mitchell ep since Avalon Part 1, though I expect great things for him from Babylon in a few weeks. Despite his reduced role, I like him so far. Awkward as it is hearing Daniel being called Jackson, I like it in that the writers realize this is NOT O'Neill, and Mitchell isn't all THAT close to Daniel. I jsut wish they'd skipped the "Call me Daniel" so that Mitchell's doing this would actually make sense.

Carter-She's coming back, and SG-1 will be back together next week! Whooo! I hope the writers stop writing her as love-struck (though having known her team members for too long to want them, I think we're safe of this) or as over-intelligent, I just want the powerful, smart, resourceful woman back. And how about a little more reaction to Dad dying? I can only hope.

Daniel-He and Vala have been front and center so far, haven't they. I liked him verbally sparring with the Ori, but when will he realize that won't work? I liked the Daniel/Mitchell and the Daniel/Vala, but where's the Daniel/Teal'c? These two were the only two knowing each other that well on these past few missions and they rarely talked to each other. Then again, Teal'c didn't talk much at all. Daniel's beard is coming off soon, and being a straight male, I can't comment on his looks, but I will mention that he looks odd with the beard. He'll look much more Daniel-ish without it.

Teal'c-Like I said, he hasn't got much speaking lines since Avalon Part 2. perhaps his frequent speaking was due to O'Neill, and, not knowing Mitchell all that well, he has digressed into not talking as much. I'd still like to see more Daniel/Teal'c interactions, those two have developed a great friendship over the years, despite all they have been through (Forever in a Day, Fallen). Teal'c has always been my favorite character on SG-1, and I look forward to Ex Deus Machina and his reactions to Gerak, especially when he (spoilers for 9.07, 9.10, and 9.11)
                  Spoiler:
                  becomes a Prior of the Ori.
                  And where did he come from last night? I thought he had left and then he's back with no explanation.

Vala-So she is a 3d, round, dynamic character after all! I've already mentioned her interactions with the villagers and her guilt later in the episode when they fall ill. Next week being the end of her arc, I want to see big changes and things for the character.

Landry-I like him more and more each week. I like him trying to get through to his daughter, and you really had to feel some pity for the poor man, who's daughter would not open up to him. It seems her gets through her a bit in the end, telling her good luck and what not.

Lam-I'm still not growing attached to her, though I like the Lam/Landry interactions. She was a bit harsh toward Landry, though I, not knowing her past, cannot judge her from that. I'm reserving judgement for her still.

As I said, good episode, and wow, long post. Hope you found reading it worthwhile.
                  Beyond the Horizon Lies the Gateway to a New Galaxy
                  Stargate Horizon, Co-Executive Producer
                  Latest Episode: 4.06 - "Eden"
                  Stargate Destiny, Fan
                  Latest Episode: 1.20 - "Alliances, Part One"

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                    How much you want to bet he was referring to the Ancients? *arches eyebrow*
                    Yes, I thought the same.

And BTW, I think Daniel isn't mentioning his ascension to the Ori because it's something he wants to keep to himself for now. Like a sort of ace under his sleeve. He'll play it when he thinks it's more effective.

Comment

A gripping episode, once we got into it. The first part was, not slow, just not active(and I'm not talking about people moving around doing stuff, either).

I am intrigued by the relationship between Landry and Lam - and wife/mother. I can just imagine Sam and Carolyn one day having that conversation where Sam'll remind her that at least they're alive; at least she has something to work with... but maybe that's just a fic bunny giving birth to a new litter....

Vala was same old same old, 'til push really came to shove. YES!!! FINALLY!!!<types emphatically on keys> It's about friggin' TIME, boys. CB was terrific, as usual, in the role she has been assigned(or, despite it).

Even though I'd have liked to have learned that she had treated "her people" differently during her time unhosted with them, to have used at least some of her abilities to upgrade their standard of living, I'm resigned to the sad fact that up until the latter third of this ep, she really, truly, never did give a symbiote's a$$ about anybody other than herself. I can only content myself with the knowledge that at least she isn't sadistic - she didn't outright kill or torture anyone - although forced labor under the implied threat of mass execution and torture, and poor living conditions is a form of torture, IMO.

Uncharacteristic Gracie shallow moment: I think that SG uniform was the sexiest outfit I have seen Vala in, so far. There's just something about a person... erm... barely... in uniform that I find strangely appealing....

Daniel was marvelous, in all his interactions. He truly owned this episode, and I think he will continue to be the island of sanity wherever the Ori's smoothness threatens to drown out reason. I am loving this new face of Daniel, built on past strengths and really coming into the fore, more with this new threat than ever before.

Did I miss the part where Mitchel falls down sick? I did see him looking uncomfortable when he was talking to Lam, but next I know he's getting healed by the enemy. I just thought that was subtle, even for Stargate.

Symbiote or no symbiote, I guess that Jaffa are meant to be seen and not heard. Teal'c continues to be the most gorgeous walking, barely talking wallpaper in the series.

I love the fact that Lam and Vala were helpless before the virus mutating. I look forward to seeing how Lam copes with her helplessness.

The Prior was frightenly convincing. His reasonings seemed insurmountable. Good thing Daniel can keep his head screwed on right. The Prior did not hide the fact that he was using knowledge and tech and he made it quite clear to all that he was causing the outbreak. He also made it clear that it was his way or the highway. He and what he represents gives me the most delicious shivers.

It is interesting to know that using the healing device takes a toll on the user, but I'd have expected some show of weakness or exhaustion from Vala.

Question: did the hand device run out of power or was Vala just giving up?

This is a top-notch episode, IMO. I'll take 15 more, please.
                      Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
                      "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
                      One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
                      resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
                      confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
                      A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
                      The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Originally posted by Kalliope
                        Martin Gero should definitely write more Vala-centered episodes in the future.
                        My hope is that there won't *be" any more Vala-centric episodes. We've had her front and center (with Daniel) for 5 shows in a row thus far, and that is quite enough for me, thank you very much.

Comment

Originally posted by Hubble
                          My hope is that there won't *be" any more Vala-centric episodes. We've had her front and center (with Daniel) for 5 shows in a row thus far, and that is quite enough for me, thank you very much.
                          Enough for you, but not for me

Comment

Originally posted by Kalliope
                            Enough for you, but not for me

Yes, anyone who reads your posts grasps that. Perhaps it might be a good exercise for you to organize a compaign to bombard the Sci-Fi channel with e-mails and phone calls telling them you want a new show starring Claudia Black -- maybe like "Vala, the Pirate Queen," or something. Then you could see Vala in all her outrageous wardrobe front and center in every single episode. Meawhile, other people could go back to watching Stargate SG-1 again, or at least some version of it.

Comment

What Vala's wardrobe has anything to do with it? I love Vala's craziness, wildness, great sense of humor and actually a sort of golden heart hidden somewhere which I hope Daniel was able to notice in this episode Never said a word about her wardrobe...

Comment

Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess
                                Question: did the hand device run out of power or was Vala just giving up?
                                As I recall, she said that it was taking longer and longer to work and that it was getting less and less effective. She stopped using it because it wasn't working.

Comment

Working...
                                X