No announcement yet.

The Ties That Bind (904)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It was a disappointment IMO. I literally fell asleep half way through it. My biggest problem with it was the lack of the Orii. They were just introduced last week yet there was almost no mention of them. Doesn't make much sense.

Comment

Originally posted by ChillinTheMost
      I don't think Vala has gone back to PU Vala. I think there is more playfulness to her actions now, a real affection for Daniel. In PU, I think her motivation was more selfish, more as a means to an end. The "end" being getting the ship. Now she seems like she just likes teasing Daniel. And she likes to have fun. She's bored hanging around the SGC and teasing and goofing around are fun for her. I think she expected Daniel to turn her down when she was in his room. She seemed more disappointed that their bantering was over and he was sending her away than that he didn't want to have sex with her.

I also think this is why Daniel turned her down. Daniel isn't adverse to having sex with Vala, but it's become a contest or a game. She teases, he turns her down. For him to give in now means Vala "wins". It's a game they're playing and, while I think they've built a friendship and affection, they don't really have a hot romance burning, so nobody is really losing. It's just fun for both of them.
      Very well said!
      sigpic
      Follow me on Twitter! I'm on Facebook!

Comment

A new potential enemy, the Lucian Alliance, an organization that has several Al'kesh, makes its debute. Whether they where just there for that episode, or if they are a group that could show up later is unknown.

The SGC finds that after the defeat of the Goa'uld and Replicators, their budget is being cut by 70%, and the money, and likely some personnel, are being transfered to the programs to build more ships like the Daedalus. The only ways the SGC could possibly get the money back is if a proven threat is shown to exist that requires the money, or if they will allow an international committee to appoint a watchdog at the SGC.

We find that at least one more Goa'uld, some lieutenant that used to work for Camulus, was killed by his own Jaffa.

Despite getting their braseletes off, Daniel and Vala are still stuck together.

Vala has ripped off several people, and implyed that the head of the Senate Appropriations committee had a "small manhood", while sitting on his desk.

Despite helping Daniel and Vala fix their problem of being physically stuck around each other, Teal'c does not wish to join SG-1 again, instead prefering to stay at the new Free Jaffa capital.

Comment

Originally posted by Hatusu
          I did enjoy Wallace Shawn, too. I love the quirky sound of his voice. Can anyone tell me where we've seen him before?

It's...inconceivable that you don't remember Wallace Shawn from "The Princess Brides?" (Of course, just because that's one of my favorite movies [and of one of my favorite novels], doesn't mean you've seen the movie.)

Also, Wallace was the man behind the rubber ears of the Grand Nagus on "Deep Space Nine."

Dr. Stiles on "Crossing Jordan," Stuart Best on "Murphy Brown," Jeff Engles on "The Cosby Show," and my first memory of Walace Shawn, "My Dinner With Andre," in which he not only co-starred, but also wrote the screenplay.

Morjana

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
          SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
          Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Well to be honest, i dunno if i'm still enjoy watching SG1, as a matter of fact, i do look forward more now to Atlantis
            "Maybe one day you will learn that your way is not the only way!"

Visit Dr. Radek Zelenka's Complete Translations and thunk thread

All translations will be found in the first post of this thread, though i recommend to read the whole discussion ;]

Comment

Well, I watched this episode once so far, and I think it was a very nice one.

Sometimes I read people's comments about how a certain episode wasn't good, or how an episode sucked because it was just a stand-alone one, meaning that stand-alone episodes are bad, or not good enough. I'm not talking about this thread, or even this forum in particular. I'm talking about Stargate fandom in general, in all lists and forums.

Well, I'm one of those who enjoy different kinds of episodes and like them all for different reasons. Maybe that's the reason I haven't found bad Stargate episodes so far in all its seasons. In every single episode of Stargate through out all its seasons, I've found lots of stuff I like, for different reasons. Some times its because of just the story, even if it's not action packed, sometimes it's because of a character, or certain scenes... I love funny episodes, I love action episodes, I love episodes that move the story arc forward, I love character-driven episodes, and other kind of stand-alone episodes, and I guess that's why I find all seasons great.

Anyway, back on topic. I liked "The ties than bind" very much.

- Loved Daniel and Vala interaction. Loved every scene with them. Maybe I'm the only one who found the scene with Vala at Daniel's room NOT shallow. I think what Vala said at some point about her feelings after being a host, her own people getting against her, etc was the truth. Then she tried to cover it up as if she was playing tricks on Daniel. But I got the impression that that was the truth, and she tried to light it up as an autoprotection mecanism.

- I got the feeling of the team getting slowly back together. I saw Teal'c, Cameron and Daniel starting to work as a team, very slowly. Cameron is getting them back together and will soon get them designated as SG-1 officially. I miss Sam, but she'll be back in 2 epis. And my guess is that by the end of that epi, or the following one, we'll get our SG-1 officially back as a unit. Woohoo!!! Don't get me wrong, I like Vala a lot and I hope TPTB keep bringing her back from time to time in this season and, hopefully, future seasons. But I also miss Sam and want our Sam back! Liking Sam doesn't imply not liking Vala, in the same way that liking Vala doesn't imply not liking Sam. I like both characters for different reasons.

- The scene with Daniel, Vala and Dr. Lee was great. I like Dr. Lee a lot and I'm enjoying his scenes very much this season. All the Dr. Lee scenes have been fantastic and very funny so far

- The scene at the infirmary was absolutely great. Cameron saying "Good morning, sunshine", and Daniel "aaaarrrgghhhh". LOL.

- Daniel and Cameron in leather. Hahahahaha. Especially funny how Daniel seemed so uncomfortable

- the scene at the end, with Daniel giving Teal'c a hug. Very nice. Loved it.

- that line the guy said when he got his mother's necklace back, about being able to get his mother off his back now that he got the necklace back. Hehe. Loved it.

- nice to see Jack was mentioned

- Vala breaking down Daniel's glasses. Hahahahaha. Maybe he should use contacts instead

- the scene with Landry and Walter was also fun

- when the fake monk called Vala "sister Vala-something" (cant't remember the exact words now). Hehehe.

Anyway, I'm sure I'll have more comments after watching the episode more times, but this is the stuff that I remember now

Over all, a very enjoyable episode in my book.

Comment

Great show really like Daniel and Vala and their interactions. Hope Vala comes back for many more episodes she is very funny.

Comment

Originally posted by SG-4MarineLeader
                  A new potential enemy, the Lucian Alliance, an organization that has several Al'kesh, makes its debute. Whether they where just there for that episode, or if they are a group that could show up later is unknown.

The SGC finds that after the defeat of the Goa'uld and Replicators, their budget is being cut by 70%, and the money, and likely some personnel, are being transfered to the programs to build more ships like the Daedalus. The only ways the SGC could possibly get the money back is if a proven threat is shown to exist that requires the money, or if they will allow an international committee to appoint a watchdog at the SGC.

We find that at least one more Goa'uld, some lieutenant that used to work for Camulus, was killed by his own Jaffa.

Despite getting their braseletes off, Daniel and Vala are still stuck together.

Vala has ripped off several people, and implyed that the head of the Senate Appropriations committee had a "small manhood", while sitting on his desk.

Despite helping Daniel and Vala fix their problem of being physically stuck around each other, Teal'c does not wish to join SG-1 again, instead prefering to stay at the new Free Jaffa capital.
                  you forgot:

Daniel is an idiot becuase he passed up hot sweaty sex with the second hottest brit he could ever get. does anyone know the first???

PS did you see that sexy little number vala was wearing in daniels bed. ahhhhh! how could anyone pass that up. that one scene made my lesbian roommate take up stargate.
                  Get YOUR P90 Here!
                  Am i alone in hoping that the Seaquest seasons with the DeLuise brothers are finally released on dvd??

Nice hair!!

Comment

Originally posted by George Costanza
                    You know, I can't get over how disappointed I am with the show. Here's my post from page 4 for reference:

This is my favorite show, I look forward to it every week, and this has been the first episode in the history of the show that I just wanted to end. I even liked Emancipation better than this. Avalon/Origin wasn't that serious compared to other season premieres/big revelation episodes and this was just awful. TPTB are not taking the story seriously at all (and yes, I do know that TTB is meant as a comedic episode). I just want Vala to leave. I HATE the sexual jokes. What are we, high school juniors? I HATE it that the show is now totally ridiculous (Vala...) whereas in previous seasons it seemed like a serious show with a serious military feel to it. This is just some space adventure ****. Now I'm sure Claudia Black is wonderful, she seems lovely in every interview I've seen her in, but I just hate the character she is portraying (even though she is sooo sexy).

So now I'm not looking forward to the next episode at all (although knowing that Martin Gero wrote it gives me at least a little bit of good hope...). Summary: SG-1 visits a world whose people once worshipped Vala as a god -- and demand that she stand trial when she confesses to manipulating them. ANOTHER EPISODE OF THE VALA SHOW. END IT ALREADY.

Also, from the spoilers page: When Daniel (Michael Shanks) and Vala (Claudia Black) attempt to undo the teachings of the Ori on a distant planet... -- WHY? Why, why, WHY is the SGC allowing Vala to go on a mission with Dr. Jackson?

I REALLY hope that things will turn out to be fine when Amanda Tapping returns to the show. I hope that this semi-comedic and childish bull**** will be over with and that the show returns to what it used to be, because this has just kinda ruined my day (yeah I'm a sad nerd, hehe ) as I desperately want to like my favorite show and look forward to its next episode... but it doesn't excite me at all (again, my only hope comes from knowing that Martin Gero wrote it). Hopefully, episode 7, when Vala will be GONE, is the REAL start of season 9.

I can't believe I've turned into one of the haters, but sadly, it's what I feel.

That said, Atlantis' "Duet" was awesome. But that's for another thread.
                    I totally agree with your take, especially your point about SG1 not having that military feel any longer.

Comment

I actually went shopping and on a food run during "SG1," but hubby watched it from beginning to end and he had this to say:

"Nothing really happened. Claudia Black's still gorgeous, but her new character's really boring. Fifteen minutes in, I got the laptop out and started playing online poker."

I think we're done with this show. And since a buddy of ours loaned us his "Firefly" DVD collection, we don't even have the "Well, it falls between "Firefly" and "Atlantis"" excuse working for us anymore. Which is good because now we can go out on Friday nights and only worry about having enough tape for "Atlantis" and "BSG," not the entire evening.

On another note though, we are *so* going to go see "Serenity" in September. Joss is *still* a god!
                      "Just smile and wave, boys...Just smile and wave."

Comment

Newbie waves, 'Hi!'

What I liked:
                        Sticky fingers Vala and Daniel knowing her too well to let her get away with it. At the same time, I think he underestimated her. That little trinket was way too easy to find and probably nothing more than a distraction. She was far too happy when she left. Ya shoulda x-rayed her, Danny!

Vala in Daniel's room: *of course* she got by the guard on her door, and *of course* it was the same female guard she'd winked at earlier! Remember her escape from Prometheus? She's a challenge junkie. This was nothing more than a little test to keep herself entertained. Going to Daniel's room and teasing him was the next obvious challenge. Whether he takes her up on the offer or not isn't the point, though I don't think she'd have suddenly gotten a headache if he did. I *do* think she would have been disappointed if he'd suddenly 'reverted to form'. Daniel was right when he said she uses sex as both a defense and a weapon - but it's also a tool to get what she wants. It's not working on Daniel. That makes him the ultimate challenge and utterly irresistible to Vala. Can there possibly be two more opposite people in the galaxy? Romantic pairing - don't think so. The joy of watching these two rests in the dynamics of their conflict.

'Gotta wonder how much of her sob story was real. The best lies are those that are based on the truth...

The boys in leather. Yummy! 'Especially loved Daniel's shirt with the stitching up the front. Mitchell's OD green t-shirt under the leather was distracting.

I enjoyed all the little twists and turns within the various scenes. The idea of Vala and the guy she stole the bracelets from having a sexual relationship was sooooo over-the-top that at first I thought he was playing the guys the same way Vala does. Even after she seemed to confirm it, I'm not sure I bought it - and I mean that in a good sense. If they tell me in a later episode he was actually her mentor or father, I won't be surprised. - The Monk. I laughed out loud when he did his sudden about-face! Naturally, he and Vala had a history. And naturally we know who took the temple's crystal ('wonder if they'll ever follow up on that?) I wonder if we'll see him again given that he's supposed to be one of the best smuggler's Vala knows. Interesting possibilities there...

The end - big grin - it was totally appropriate that they went through all that for nothing.

What I didn't like:
                        The Senate Appropriations Committee meeting: an obviously important plot point for upcoming episodes but the scene itself was... flat. 'Stripped' might be a better word. It felt like they probably wrote a good scene, then decided it was too long so they rewrote it, cutting it down to essentials. Vala's humor was cute but there was potential for more than a quick laugh here. Sadly, we didn't get it.

Overall grade: B+

Comment

I resigned myself to approaching this episode with the belief that it was not going to really have any serious substance. Just mostly fluff. And by doing that I actually enjoyed the episode for what it was. It was just a good laugh. Not much else.

I went back to liking Mitchell in this episode after not liking him last week. Hmm….maybe it was the leather.
                          Ha! I loved that comment either he or Daniel made about those get-ups they had on.

Originally posted by keshou
                          *Daniel/Vala. So sue me - I'm enjoying them a lot. I love the way Vala exasperates Daniel and yet he's really not falling for her antics. As long as Vala keeps the OTT sex stuff (and her fire extinguisher) on the back burner I've become a fan. Claudia's playing the heck out of the character.
                          My lawyer will be contacting you shortly. Ok. I’m not actually hating Vala that bad.
                          Spoiler:
                          I actually rather liked those two in this one. Shh...Don’t tell anybody.

Bu...but it has to make an appearance. That was my favorite part of PU.
                          Last edited by LoneStar1836; 06 August 2005, 04:20 PM. Reason: someone can't spell but I'm not saying who...
                          IMO always implied.

Comment

Originally posted by lily
                            Anyway, back on topic. I liked "The ties than bind" very much.
                            Me too. So far, I'm loving this season. So it's not the usual SG-1 style, but I believe that once *sniff, sniff* Vala heads for other universes, they'll get back to SG-1 style. Boy howdy am I gonna miss Vala, but I'm kind of excited to see what's gonna happen when Sam comes back.

- Loved Daniel and Vala interaction. Loved every scene with them. Maybe I'm the only one who found the scene with Vala at Daniel's room NOT shallow. I think what Vala said at some point about her feelings after being a host, her own people getting against her, etc was the truth. Then she tried to cover it up as if she was playing tricks on Daniel. But I got the impression that that was the truth, and she tried to light it up as an autoprotection mecanism.
                            You are NOT alone in this thinking. I think there was some truth in her revelation, but like you, I think she covered it up to protect herself. She's been hurt far too much and isn't about to let anyone else do it again. I have a feeling that "The Powers That Be" will be the best Vala eps yet. We'll finally (I hope) get to see what happened when she was possesed by a G'Ould (sorry...brain fart). I'd love to see the back story on all that. Maybe some time in the future we'll get to see it.

- I got the feeling of the team getting slowly back together. I saw Teal'c, Cameron and Daniel starting to work as a team, very slowly. Cameron is getting them back together and will soon get them designated as SG-1 officially. I miss Sam, but she'll be back in 2 epis. And my guess is that by the end of that epi, or the following one, we'll get our SG-1 officially back as a unit. Woohoo!!! Don't get me wrong, I like Vala a lot and I hope TPTB keep bringing her back from time to time in this season and, hopefully, future seasons. But I also miss Sam and want our Sam back! Liking Sam doesn't imply not liking Vala, in the same way that liking Vala doesn't imply not liking Sam. I like both characters for different reasons.
                            Here here! I'm with ya! Well said!

I also enjoyed the scene at the beginning when Daniel and the "guards" were escorting Vala to the Gate. She asked for a hug after Daniel took that little artifact back. Daniel, Daniel, Daniel, have you learned NOTHING about this woman? Good boy Daniel...don't totally fall for her game. Loved how he stopped her before she got far after that hug!
                            sigpic
                            I prefer to be called Sunny, Sun or SK. Thanks.

Comment

I think this has been a nice change of pace episode. The humor is probably this episode's best asset. I do think that we don't quite need a humorous episode ideally until later in the season but I guess part of the reason for this episode now is due to the natural progression of the story.

Here are some random thoughts about this episode:
                              The cowboy outfit and the space chase at the end make this episode look very similar to Firefly (I have only started to watch the Firefly reruns this season so I'm no expert of that show).

What's with all the sexual tension in this episode. Was there something going on with Mitchell and Dr. Lam in the elevator (why is Cam playing with that button while talking to General Landry?)? I would think that if anything is going on, they would be professional enough to not do it in the elevator.

After seeing some of Vala's old boyfriends, I probably would do the same thing as Daniel. It's not worth risking contracting some unknown alien disease.

I'm a bit disappointed by the lack of resolution on many fronts of this episode but it was still entertaining (at least on the first viewing). I'm not sure if I'm that eager to rewatch this episode though.
                              I just love shows about wormholes!

Comment

Originally posted by George Costanza
                                Also, from the spoilers page: When Daniel (Michael Shanks) and Vala (Claudia Black) attempt to undo the teachings of the Ori on a distant planet... -- WHY? Why, why, WHY is the SGC allowing Vala to go on a mission with Dr. Jackson?
                                Uh, because if they're seperated by more than (I think) 100 feet, they both DIE! It appears that for some reason, Daniel and Vala are still linked by those bracelets. So until it either wears off or they figure out a way to sever the link...Vala's gonna be around for a bit. Sorry you and a few others are so disappointed by this.

Don't worry, eventually Sam will be back and things will get back to as normal as they have ever been on this show.
                                sigpic
                                I prefer to be called Sunny, Sun or SK. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                X