No announcement yet.

The Ties That Bind (904)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two series seems to be a bit of insanity for them, so I can't imagine a third.

Plus, I also don't think a whole series built around Vala would survive.

Now, a whole series based upon the life of ANOTHER character played by Claudia Black (not Aeryn) on the other hand... That might work.

To be honest, if they fleshed out Vala more and more throughout the SG-1 series, I'd definitely watch more stuff with Vala in it.

Comment

Not an outstanding episode but quite enjoyable (it's probably the leather...)
      I appreciate the Daniel-Vala show but I want to learn more about Mitchell and above all : WHERE IS MY TEAL'C ???
      Last edited by Hurley; 09 August 2005, 03:48 PM.
      "We will do as I say" Bra'tac

Comment

Originally posted by GoVols
        But seriously, Vala is a very sexy, aleuring, attractive woman. Now any man who reads this should reply to this question. What would you do if you found Vala, laying in lengerie in your bed, and being sugestive. I know exactly what i would do.
        I did not read all the post of this section, maybe someone told it before me, but: Micheal's Wife is on the Show, i would have find it funny if Lexa, would have let Micheal have more than a Hug with Claudia^^! And throghout the whole season, we never had real Sex scenes, A few jokes sometimes with Carter and O'neill... but not more... Anyway, if he gets involved with Vala, it would mean, that she stay more longer, and that is a VERY BAD IDEA....

I hate Vala's Character!
        All good things must come to an end...
        Canada Rule!!!

Comment

I thought this episode was very uneven--it just never got into a groove for me.

I don't hate Vala's character (and I love Claudia Black)--and since she did say she was a host in PU, then I think the story she gave Daniel was at least mostly true. However, I don't think CB and MS have ANY chemistry between them. It's downright odd to me, but they don't. Someone said earlier (or perhaps it was another thread) that the short periods of time that Mitchell and Vala are on screen they have more chemistry than Daniel and Vala through an entire episode hit the nail on the head! I don't know if it's because BB and CB have worked together, obviously like each other--they just rave about each other in articles--or what but their chemistry is so much more apparent and with Daniel and Vala it feels so forced to me. I know TPTB were afraid of creating "Fargate" with BB and CB but I certainly think it would have been more interesting to watch.

I miss Sam--I'm really looking forward to having her back.
          I still miss Jack and Sam

Comment

Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess
            I hated it.

TtB replaces Full Circle as the worse episode ever for me. AFAIC, compared to TtB, Full Circle was a masterpiece of good drama and story telling.

Vala has proven beyond a doubt that she has zero redeeming qualities, and the idea of running around the galaxy, putting the lives of Cam, Teal'c and Daniel at risk for this was ludicrous. When did this show become Gilligan's Stargate? Enough with the sit com; give this fan Stargate SG-1.

In my opinion.
            I posted this in the End Vala thread:
            Originally posted by marimba26
            As for Vala, I get the feeling that we weren't meant to take her seriously. She's the comic relief and she's a nice distraction while Sam is out of the picture. TPTB had to write an arc to cover the time AT was out on materity leave and I think they've done a fine job of it. It has been light-hearted and funny and I'm glad they didn't a write something that was more serious. Starting a serious plot arc would have created a dynamic within the cast and might have made it awkward to bring Sam back. This way we can have a good laugh for now and Sam will be able to come back easily without having missed anything.
            Just a thought, but if they had totally avoided this plot arc--which IMHO is supposed to be cute, not serious--they might have had a lot of problems working Sam back into the dynamic. So instead of starting something and having yet another transition episode to work Sam back in, they gave us a fun little story with a fun character that is meant to make us laugh while we wait for Sam to come back. Of course Vala isn't serious, how could she be? Some would probably just hate her all the more bc they would think that TPTB were trying to replace Sam. This way, there's no doubt that they are not trying to replace Sam and when she comes back, it will be back to normal. For now, I'm just going to go with the flow and enjoythe lightness, it will get serious soon enough.
            Marimba FBI - Video Surveillance Division
            Lemming #25 Frothing Fan Lemming

Vids by Marimba, Tamefarrar and Ruralstar!
            Big hugs to Ruralstar for the banner!

Comment

What can I say. The episode was stretched?

Comment

I've watched it about 3 or 4 more times now, and every time, it just gets better. I about bust a gut with the monk guy. I love his rant about chanting and bathing the poor. I hope we see him again down the road, as well as the others we met. It's always good to keep a few shady characters in the SGC rolodex.

Looking forward to this weeks ep, and then Sam's back! Whoo hoo! But then Vala's gone. Boo hoo! I'm so conflicted.

Comment

It’s good to see that the serialized side of the new season continues to be very important to the storytelling, especially since this is the episode where the writers have to begin acting like the season has actually started. Turning to the more comedic side of the series was probably the best move possible. After all, “Origin” was quite intense in its own way, and why not give us all a break for an episode or so?

At the end of the previous episode, it felt like Teal’c was going to be shuffled back onto the team, thanks to the power grab from Garek. Sure enough, it’s not that simple. It looks like the first third of the season, up until Carter’s inevitable return, will be used as an ongoing process of bringing the characters back into place. I’m not sure what I think of that.

While I love the idea of making a good chunk of the season a story about change (and how some things never do), there’s the inevitable worry that the characters will never gel completely. Highlighting the strain of trying to force everyone back together could easily backfire. Especially to those still holding on to the original cast, it could seem aimless. Clearly, it’s not, but it could come across that way.

The main story is all about Vala, who has become a character that most either love or love to hate. Claudia continues to be sexy at nearly every turn (though never more so than during the Congressional hearing, with those stockings!), and she plays up her rogue-ish side to perfection. This is, however, also the kind of episode where Jack would be tossing out his typical one-liners left and right. So how does it work without him?

Daniel and Mitchell are left to pick up where Jack left off. Daniel’s history with Vala helps in that regard, since he gets to play off of Claudia’s wackiness more naturally. Browder is still trying to find the fine line between the old John Crichton character and the way Mitchell is written, but part of that sits on the shoulders of the writing staff. They’re the ones that need to give the character a unique voice, and it hasn’t quite happened yet.

Some of the smaller moments were actually more telling. It’s great to see the producers and writers recognizing that the new series (“SG: Atlantis”) has, in many ways, taken the reins in terms of exploring new ground. The discussions on the utility of the SGC and their operations could be taken as a thinly-veiled commentary on the fans’ reaction to this series, now that the old mythology has come to an effective end.

In this case, creating a parallel between the fans and those funding the SGC provides an interesting platform for exploring how the international knowledge of the Stargate program is evolving into something that could be a major problem. There are two sides to this. On the one hand, it continues to decentralize the attention on the new team, which could be an issue if it goes on much longer. On the other hand, it adds yet another character that could become more important later down the road. I prefer to think of this as another possibility for future storytelling greatness.

From my perspective, the purpose of the episode was to continue to mine Vala as a character until Carter’s return is actually in the cards. It covers a lot of the transitional elements that should be in place by the time that Carter is back in the fold. The rest is a rather pleasant diversion that continues the ongoing saga of Daniel and Vala. Sooner or later, that has to give way to a renewed focus on Mitchell and the team, but for now, it’s still working for me.

Comment

I do not know if anybody felt this, but while watching this episode, it struck me while they were visiting the monk trying to get the power coil back, this story line suddenly seemed very familiar to me. Starting out looking for one thing, then having to go from place to place doing favors or trading things to get help from the previous person they visited. Did anybody else notice this and where have I seen this story line before?

Comment

Originally posted by entil2001
                      The discussions on the utility of the SGC and their operations could be taken as a thinly-veiled commentary on the fans’ reaction to this series, now that the old mythology has come to an effective end.

In this case, creating a parallel between the fans and those funding the SGC provides an interesting platform for exploring how the international knowledge of the Stargate program is evolving into something that could be a major problem.
                      I concur, entil2001. The budget hearing was a nice stroke in line with the changes in the cast and the addition of Atlantis. I couldn't help but miss Kinsey's machiavellian presence (altho in the end he tried to do the right thing), but the new Senator is just as implacable, just less antagonistic. I hope this is setting up a well written struggle to get SG-1's funding back, as in major space battles, gate attacks/invasions, etc. ACTION. Drama. Meaning of life stuff.

As for the parallell with the Atlantis series and SG1 fans, that thought is uncomfortable; are they trying to tell us SGA is getting a fatter slice of the Sci-Fi budget, too? Well, they probably are but as a Fan I don't care as long as the integrity and quality of both shows are high.

I liked this episode, alto it is building somewhat slowly. We've been given comic relief along side threat of doom, and it's all sitting there now. The jaffa leader seems bent on a jihad against the Ori or whoever. Space pirates are massing for turf in previous Goa'uld planets, and Vala has incurred the enmity of a pirate don that will surely haunt the Tau'ri long after she's gone.

All that against misguided money de-appropriations. Sounds like a blast. I hope so!

In this, as I read on another post, this feels like Season One, with the unknown being tossed at us and to be fleshed out in later episodes. I only hope the writers do justice to all they have laid out. I'll be watching for it.
                      MISSION: STARGATE REWATCH 2011-2012 ENGAGED DONE!
                      sigpic
                      Beware Helen Magnus - Doctor of A$$-Kicking

Comment

I know what you are saying. I just can't say where I have seen it before. I just hope that in a couple of seasons we can watch the ep. again and say, "O'Ya, that's where we met those people." Like I do all the time watching reruns.
                        Last edited by LORD MONK; 10 August 2005, 09:26 PM. Reason: spelling
                        *Post in Peace, Yah or Nah*
                        *Go to Sokar you Cylon fracker*
                        *I can't spell vary good, but I can read mis- spelled words vary good*
                        *And then the Ori said, "if your thread is dead then let their be a new one"*
                        *It's Science Fiction. Not Science with Fiction.*
                        *Sproiler Tags should only be used when you are going to be mentioning something that you can't already read on Gateworld*
                        *When I talk out my butt it smells like sarcasm*

Comment

Yeah, that would be sweet. Loved some of the characters introduced in it. Especially the monk smuggler.
                          sigpic
                          MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                          "...phu...ah..."
                          "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                          Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by acmech
                            I do not know if anybody felt this, but while watching this episode, it struck me while they were visiting the monk trying to get the power coil back, this story line suddenly seemed very familiar to me. Starting out looking for one thing, then having to go from place to place doing favors or trading things to get help from the previous person they visited. Did anybody else notice this and where have I seen this story line before?
                            Like many of the interesting things they introduce, they stole it from MASH.

I think Hawkeye needed a new pair of boots. The supply Sgt. needed a tooth filled by the dentist, who wanted to take a boat home when he was discharged in 2 weeks, that could be arranged by Radar, that wanted a date from nurse Baker, who wanted to use Klinger's hair dryer, who wanted his section 8 that needed 3 officers signatures, the third signature they needed was Frank and Hot Lips thought she could convince Frank to sign if they threw Frank a birthday party. Frank refused at the end and the whole thing unraveled backwards one thing at a time.

At least that's the best I can remember of it.
                            The Characters from Bloom County were located to another world where they could live in Peace and avoid the wrath of Jeanne Kirkpatrick.

Here's a photo of Bill the Cat hanging out by the gate waiting for more partying supplies:

Comment

Originally posted by BloomGate
                              Like many of the interesting things they introduce, they stole it from MASH.
                              Yes, it was similar to a MASH episode who very well may have taken it from an older show or part of a play.

I am not sure which, but my point is that hardly any plot you see in a TV show is original. That plot has just been "redressed" to fit a particular show. The same thing applies to plot devices that have been used in previous episodes of the same but are now being used again.

To me this is not a problem or show a lack of imgination on the writers part. This is just real life ..... a sucessful procedure or method is used many times.

Sorry, about the off topic rant, I also liked TTTB.

Bruce

Comment

The concept of a character moving heaven and hell itself to get various items to get one small insignificant item and the deal becoming unstuck in the end is a story as old as the hills themselves

Comment

Working...
                                X