• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calicto's Review

Episode: Origin [SG-1 903]

Good Performances: Daniel Jackson, Vala, Mitchell, Gerak, Doci
    Bad Performances: O'Neill

Noteworthy Scenes: Ori/Doci talking to Daniel, Arriving on Celestis, Gerak's Entrance, Self-Mortification of Prior

Advantages:
    1. Interesting new enemy
    2. Prior creation by Ori (Third last scene)
    3. Mitchell's speech to Prior on planet
    4. "Daniel Jackson made us aware of your need" by Prior
    5. Gerak's interaction
    6. Powerful abilities of Prior
    7. "Yes, he did say something" by Lam
    8. Prior Scarification
    9. Teal'c & Mitchell working together to destroy communication device. Realistic because they had to delay the dialing sequence and they just wouldnt have gotten there in time.
    10. Beautiful sets (especially Celestis).
    11. Prior Presence on Screen + Prior costumes

Disadvantages:
    1. Unnecessary O'Neill cameo. Bad Acting.
    2. Needed more emphasis on the burning of Sallis/Hallan (sp?). Showing them burn like they showed Vala burning would have been very effective because they were innocent (kinda).

Comments: Very interesting Episode. The enemy, though they look primitive seem to have ships. Cant wait to see the ships (especially in Beachhead)

Story: 8.0
    Plot Direction: 9.5
    Acting/Characters: 9.0
    Action/Adventure: 7.0
    Background Info: 8.0
    Dramatic Feel: 9.5
    Scenes/Settings: 10
    Special Effect: 9.5
    Realism Factor: 8.0
    Overall Feel: 8.0
    Rating: 86.5 (B+)

Comment

Originally posted by morjana
      Okay -- show of hands. Who thought of "Return of the Archons" tonight while watching SG1's "Origin?" Even in "Return of the Archons," their version of the Priors, the Lawgivers, carried a staff. If at the end of this season, it turns out the Ori is really an Ancient (or Alteran) supercomputer that's become sentient and is literally trying to fulfill its programming -- well, darn, I'll be disappointed.
      "Return of the Archons" didn't immediately come to mind, but I can see what your talking about as the phrase "It is the will of Landru." comes to mind. Then again, religious zealots have been staple sci-fi villains for decades. From Star Trek to The Chronicles of Riddick and a lot of stuff in-between, the concept of using religion to limit knowledge and free will has been done before. Now SG-1 is taking their turn at it. Not that I'm complaining about that. However, based on what we've seen so far about the Orii, I don't think we have to worry about any supercomputers.

Comment

Originally posted by Mio
        Ooh. My opinion of Mitchell has improved.... (The 'Bible Thumper' comment made me laugh, as I used the same term to describe a few people like half an hour earlier.)

Overall, very good episode. I like the 'fiery' ascended being look, its pretty cool, so thats something that the Orii have over the Ancients simply white glowiness.

Oh, and Vala is still awesome
        Yeah...to quote an Angel episode I watched sometime back, "Evil doesn't have to mean sloppy..."
        McKAY: Well, you wouldn’t know that from this, would you? This might as well say, “Bing tiddle tiddle bong.” It’s complete gibberish!

Comment

So here is my take. The Alterans where the original Ori worshippers, the Ori created them and didn't inhibit technological growth then, but then they fled. So then the Ori created the worshippers that exist now and prevent them to become technologically advanced, and make them stay on the path, because they were to leniant with the Alterans. And this is why the Ancients now refuse to interfere with unascended beings. And thats also why all the Ancients had super human pwoers, the Ori shared with them the knowledge of how to do so.

Edit: Who saw those sweet rings?
          Last edited by dd78matt; 30 July 2005, 07:14 AM.

Comment

>>all the Ori have the same personality, which is frankly, a very cheesy personality.<<

Well, theoretically we've only seen one Ori via the Doci- it's the Priors who are mostly similar, but then the personality issue there really isn't any worse than your generic Jaffa in the earlier seasons.

Additionally, I didn't find the Doci to be cheesy at all- he and the Priors were creepy, with the latter being more subtle (well, until they unleash in the basement scene). Certainly less cheesy than the B-movie monster personality every single Wraith has had so far or the generally-indistinguishable lesser Goa'ulds over the seasons.

Comment

I thought "Origin" was kind of so-so. I liked a lot of things about it, namely:

- Daniel's "Daniel-ness" while trying to reason with the Doci. Man, that whole conversation took me back to seasons 2 and 3, when Daniel was much less of the warrior archetype he's become and much more of the naive genius he started out as.

- Gerak seems like a suitably antagonistic jerk. He should make a good foil for Teal'c and the "good" Jaffa that we know and love, like Bratac and Rak'nor.

- Mitchell going all-out southern on us and talking about his gran'ma with the Prior. Different humor from Jack's, obviously, but I found the country-boy humor pretty funny. I like that he and Teal'c finally began to bond a bit too.

- The whole Crusade angle. I liked the ending speech where the Doci says something along the lines of "we will gather an army and stomp the unbelievers!" to the administrator.

- The Priors seem like pretty sweet villains. The Doci, not so much. I look forward to what the crew can do with them.

- Immolations are always fun.

Of course, there were also things I wasn't so hot on. Mostly, it had to do with how flat the Ori came off. People on another board I frequent have been expressing concern that the Ori are just an upgraded version of the Goa'uld, and I hate to say it, but they may be right. The Ori seemed to just be a new spin on the false god archetype established by the Goa'uld. The Priors and Doci are pretty cool because of the whole religious fanaticism bent, but I don't know how long that'll stay fresh. I hope the Ori will be fleshed out more over the course of this season, but as of right now they're just another variant on a theme.

Also, I agree with others who feel that RDA was sleepwalking through the Jack scenes. That last scene with Mitchell in the F302 was obviously the symbolic passing of the torch, but it came off as a bit too obviously intended as that. It would've been nice if the dialogue were actually more meaningful, too.

But hey, they're done with the exposition-filled 3-part opener now, the pieces are all in place, and the team is mostly back to being associated with each other, if not necessarily a true team just yet. I'm looking forward to the off-world stuff, more about the new villains, more about the Ancients, the return of Carter, the official re-forming of SG-1, more development for Mitchell and Landry, and other stuff. There's a lot of material for this season to potentially turn into something great.

P.S. - Anyone else find it odd that the preview for next week's episode featured a shot of Vala with the dialogue "she's back!"? Dude, she never left!
              Thornbird: I'm Major Robort Thornbird. And you are?
              Jack: Captain James T. Kirk of the starship Enterprise.
              Thornbird: Your dog tags say otherwise.
              Jack: ... They're lying.

Comment

Originally posted by GateTraveler
                .. Jack's send off has not been handled well ... RDA hasn't helped matters with some of the worst performances I have ever seen him give
                I've read the words 'corpse' and 'cardboard' and 'sleepwalking' used to describe it. I think that about sums it up.
                Originally posted by GateTraveler
                ...no excuse for not explaining what happened to Jack.......Maybe they couldn't have spent entire episode on Jack .. but they could have better taken advatange of the few scenes they had to deal with his exit....
                I FEEL SO CHEATED! When they said he'd be in the first episodes, I thought at least he'd be
                Spoiler:
                PART OF THE PLOT!!!!!
                !!!

Comment

From beginning to end, one word can sum it up - W.O.W!

That's what I thought when it started, those were some bloody amazing special effects, with the different rings and that city and those sets.. whoa.. And the remainder of the episode held true to this first impression.

Last week I said I felt cheated, that I really wanted to see the Orii, well now I wasn't dissapointed. My worse fear was that they'd be a carbon copy of the Goa'uld. But they aren't. The Goa'uld were just all "We're gods, okay? Now worship us and work in our slave mines or die!" They were outrightly evil, you KNEW they were evil as soon as you saw how they enslaved people.

But the Orii really dont look that evil on the outisde, all the stuff they have to say really doesn't sound evil to me and at first glance they don't appear all that bad, not outwordly evil like the Goa'uld, I think some people on some planets might be taken by it without force. And the Orii, with all their power, may as well be gods.

The whole idea of a religious Crusade against Earth sounds quite interesting and different from what the Goa'uld did; they just wanted to wipe us out because we were a threat to them, but the Orii actually WANT us to worship them or, if we don't, they want us to die, not because they think we're a threat or because we meddled in their affairs.

So this is shaping up to be pretty awesome, I loved the climax where Daniel and Vala were about to get burned and I could really feel the excitement there, at least untill Mitchell said he had an idea, at which point I knew everything would be okay, but that's fine. The music during the last bit was excellent, most espeically the part where Daniel and Vala attempt to escape and are stopped by the Priors.

I'm espeically looking forward to finding out more about the history of the Alterrans/Ancients and how they relate to the Orii.

Mitchell was again really great, loved his whole southern thing and the little speech on the planet about his grandma being a Bible thumper, found that rather amusing.

Garak intrigues me, I believe someone else said he'd make a good foil for Teal'c and I have to agree there. Although I hope he isn't ALL bad and that he has some kind of wisdom, even if it's not the kind of thing we'll agree with. I hope his motivation is more interesting then just setting everything up so he has all the power.

That was definately the best of the first three episodes and, for me, I think Season 9 really, REALLY starts here. I certainly hope this is the start of several more seasons to come, as they've really got an interesting idea for new adventures here.

My only real complaint was that we never actually found out WHERE Jack is going, no one really said he'd been promoted to head of Homeworld Security, though I suppose people can make the assumption he got promoted to something. And RDA's acting wasn't really all that good, I dunno if that was his fault or the direction he was given. Though, for me, the Jack I really know has been gone since the end of season 7, merely because he wasn't so overly in season 8 and season 8 was really not that good to begin with. So it's just a minor complaint, not gonna let it detract from the overall awesomeness of the episode.

Happily looking forward to next week and the remainder of the season, plus future seasons! ^_^

A solid 11/10 for Origin
                  GW Poll Rating: Outstanding
                  Last edited by Kalinda; 30 July 2005, 08:02 AM.

Comment

I'm withholding judgement on the Ori until I see more of them, but things are moving in the right direction for Season 9.

I must be one of the few people who liked the last Daniel and Jack scene. Daniel is showing a bit more of the sensitive genius I fell in love with in the movie and in the first seasons. He's scared, but Jack is there to kind of calm him down, and remind him that we'd faced worse (even if we really haven't), and that things will be OK.

Sorry if that doesn't make a lot of sense... running out of coffee...
                    It must be a Thursday.

I've never been able to get the hang of Thursdays.

Roll up your pantlegs- you're in JoePa's house now! Congratulations Nittany Lions on an Orange Bowl Victory!

Comment

Originally posted by Scandrea
                      I'm withholding judgement on the Ori until I see more of them, but things are moving in the right direction for Season 9.

I must be one of the few people who liked the last Daniel and Jack scene. Daniel is showing a bit more of the sensitive genius I fell in love with in the movie and in the first seasons. He's scared, but Jack is there to kind of calm him down, and remind him that we'd faced worse (even if we really haven't), and that things will be OK.

Sorry if that doesn't make a lot of sense... running out of coffee...
                      I think the problem most people have with Jack's appearance isn't that the content of the scene was bad, but that RDA seemed visibly bored by all of it and that his appearances weren't at all what were advertised. We've known through spoilers for a while now that
                      Spoiler:
                      Jack moves up to become the head of Homeworld Security,
                      but we didn't actually see any of it in the episode. Jack's appearances seem to have been squandered with nice but ultimately less-than-fulfilling bonding moments with no mention of where he went or what he's doing.

Comment

Like several others have said already, I think this storyline has potential but this particular episode did not move me as I had hoped it would. I understand that a great deal of dialogue has to be given to sum up who our new enemy is, it's much like the briefing room scenes, but in this particular case it felt as if I was being preached to that that the Ori are bad and I should be frightened.

Overall, it was in par with the first two episodes. It had very good moments and very slow moments. I do have to admit Vala is growing on me more and more. She actually was my favorite character in this particular episode. As long as they stay away from the overtly sexual innuendos, I have a feeling I will really miss her come Beach Head.

I have to admit, I never in a million years thought I would ever hear myself say these words but...

Why the hell was RDA/Jack even in this episode?

That was NOT the Jack I have come to love and admire over the past eight years. RDA didn't even look as if he and MSl were in the same shots most of the time. He looked bored and indifferent ... maybe he was sick who knows, but honestly for what we saw of Jack in episodes 1 and 3, if I were RDA I would have been bored and indifferent as well.

Why even bother bringing the man back if this is the way you are going to send off Jack? We learned nothing from this episode. We have no idea why he left the SGC, if he was promoted, ect. I know Amanda was away during the filming of this episode, but at the very least I had hoped to see Teal'c and Daniel saying good-bye to Jack, wishing him well, maybe seeing the men of the SGC giving him a salute good-bye. Instead we get a scene where Daniel is bearing his soul to Jack, telling him that for the first time in eight years he is truly frightened of what may lie ahead and how does Jack respond??

"I'm hungry."

How utterly pathetic is this? I just can't believe that this was RDA's farewell ad-lib to his fans. Either way, I'm truly disappointed in the way this whole thing was handled. The passing of the torch could have...should have been been more. I don't even understand what the whole X-302 scene was about. I mean why were Jack and Mitchell up there? Was this Jack's way of saying I'm sorry to Mitchell for not telling him that Daniel, Teal'c and Sam were no longer a part of the SGC?

I love RDA. I absolutely adore Jack O'Neill; however, if this is the kind of rubbish we can expect with future scenes of Jack O'Neill, I really wish TPTB would not bother, because the Jack O'Neill I have cherished over the past eight years is no longer alive. I implore you, please just let the man rest in peace.

Kat
                        Last edited by ForeverSg1; 30 July 2005, 08:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                          "I'm hungry."
                          How utterly pathetic is this? I just can't believe that this was RDA's farewell ad-lib to his fans. Either way, I'm truly disappointed in the way this whole thing was handled. The passing of the torch could have...should have been been more. I don't even understand what the whole X-302 scene was about. I mean why were Jack and Mitchell up there? Was this Jack's way of saying I'm sorry to Mitchell for not telling him that Daniel, Teal'c and Sam were no longer a part of the SGC?
                          I absolutely agree. It's that kind of overblown irreverence that's been Jack's downfall, in my opinion. Earlier in the show, he was certainly irreverent at times, but there was enough meat to the character to balance it. The past few seasons, however, he's been all jokes and no substance. There were probably about 2 episodes in S8 where Jack showed anything approaching a serious attitude, and all of his few appearances so far in S9 are even worse. What's more, they don't really let us know what Jack thinks of anything. He seems to have left the SGC but we still don't know why, where he's going, what he's doing now, etc. Instead, his few appearances have been wasted on joke sessions. I'm sure we're gonna get some one-off later where Daniel just happens to mention "Oh, well Jack works for such and such now, why don't we just let him handle this?" or something. Telling rather than showing, which is a shame since they had RDA for a couple of scenes and squandered him. Out of the opening 3-parter, I've gotta say, the Jack scenes were by far the most disappointing, and I'm not even one of the uber Jack-fans who automatically hate Mitchell and want to cling to Jack despite the fact that we all knew he was leaving. I like Mitchell and I'm sure he'll do well, but Jack's send-off was sub-par, in my opinion.

Regarding the Mitchell/Jack F302 scene, I'm pretty sure that was the symbolic passing of the torch, where the old leader hands off the reins to the new leader with his blessing. I'm pretty sure. I can't be totally sure because it was botched so horribly that I have to wonder if TPTB actually intended it that way or if they just didn't have enough time with RDA to change it or something. Instead of being a true passing of the torch, where Jack reassures Mitchell and sends him on his way, they talked about utter garbage for like 2 minutes. You can't make a scene like that with completely light dialogue. That's a scene where you really need to peel back some layers with the dialogue and show what these characters are about so we know where we stand with them, but for whatever reason, TPTB didn't see that. What a horrible execution to a scene that could've been pure gold.

Comment

I'm going to use your post to jump off of because I agree with most of your points.... So I'll snippety-do-dah here 'n there if you don't mind...
                            Originally posted by Albion
                            Well, frankly I was seriously disappointed.
                            I know... I'd really hoped for something else, something *more* in this evening's show. It's like the writers keep having these bright moments keep popping up that are just ripe for the picking and they fail to develop them. Things that don't need rushed do, and other things get drug out indeterminably......
                            I didn't find the Orii especially interesting, intriguing or threatening. And at least the Goa'uld had a bit of personality about them.
                            And, if the Ori, these Ascended/Ancients/Whatever gone bad, are so all-powerful, then what little Earthling or Jaffa is going to stop them? Even if they turn out to have a big Achilles heel or not? That's why Daniel had the right idea that he'd gotten Earth into deep doo-doo since he knew it had required an Ascended like Oma to take away the threat of Anubis, and even that seemed to have required that Oma lock herself into an eternal battle with A. to keep him from destroying humanity. And after a show known for giving bad guys personality and depth as you said... eeehhhmmm... these baddies don't seem to be the kind to keep a show going season after season. And Landry's Earth's weaknesses/strengths dialogue near the end... it just reminds me how I miss a character like Hammond.....
                            The remainder of the episode was plodding, lacking in any sense of drama or excitement or even humour. I enjoyed Mitchel in the last two episodes, but to be honest in this one he just irritated me. Every lame quip just sounded like a bad impression of Jack O'Neill.
                            LOL! I've been watching these first couple SG:1 S9 eps with my father who originally introduced me to SG (mainly to see what reaction he has as someone who doesn't go on-line or into fandoms) and he caught that too! There was that line I can't remember now, after Cam and T threw the device into the wormhole outflow and he came down to the edge of the gate ramp.... and my father laughed and mentioned that that was one of Jack's lines...
                            The only time there was any real sense of jeopardy, it was in a repeat of the jeopardy from the previous episode - sorry, been there already, done that. So any impact of that was seriously diluted. It worked last week with Vala, where it was shocking and unexpected. But, here, it was just reheated leftovers. Even MS and CB seemed to be unable to work up any real emotion this time around. Where last week their reactions were real and heartbreaking, this time they just sat there in the middle of all those flames looking slightly concerned.

And not a word about that poor couple who did absolutely nothing to deserve it, but ended up being burnt to death because Daniel and Vala took over their bodies. Would have expected something at least from Daniel on that. A little bit of contrition, guilt, remorse, perhaps? But...nope. Neither of them gave a stuff that they'd just caused the deaths of two entirely innocent people by their blundering around with devices they don't fully understand, far as I could see.
                            This is one of those "ripe moments" I mentioned earlier... after the burn scene from the end of the last episode I thought they could really develop something better - i.e. more emotional impact concerning the developing relationship of D & V they didn't. To me, it seemed like the writers once again ignored life-altering events in these character's lives just barreling right along, ignoring V. got burned to death.... and I agree with you, this ep's burning scene just didn't have the same impact as last week's Act V. Another lost potential.... JMOHO

Oh yeah... I thought that unusual too that there was no reaction shown from either of them when they come back. Okay, maybe I wouldn't expect anything from V except a 'poor suckers or poor souls' comment, but I was amazed the opportunity to remind us of the compassion of Daniel's character wasn't taken... and I don't mean sentence after sentence of exposition... Just something more than 'Thank God we're back,' along the lines of 'OH S**T - we just sent the other couple back to meet their instantaneous fiery deaths!' Where's Daniel's compassion gone? Not just for all of humanity, but with individuals within that humanity... Did it go out with his last ascension?
                            And then to top it all off I became seriously pissed off by those end scenes with Daniel and Mitchell. As far as I'm aware that's the last we'll see of Jack O'Neill and we still have not the SLIGHTEST idea of why he's not at the SGC any longer, where he's off to or why he decided to go. If I hadn't read the spoilers I would be completely in the dark and that's just plain bad scripting and an insult to the viewer.

It's grossly unfair of TPTB to expect the viewer to know what's happening to their characters through spoilers. You tell them ON SCREEN, guys. It's just utterly ridiculous to do it this way. And totally disrespectful both to the fans of the character and to RDA and the character himself to give him such a lousy sendoff after eight years. The backstory in full to Jack's leaving the SGC should have been dealt with in episode one. I was prepared to give them leeway, on the understanding it would at least be dealt with in this episode with RDA's last appearance. That it wasn't just ticked me off royally. What a crock. So when are they going to fill us in officially? In the finale? S10? Never?

I feel insulted by way TPTB have handled Jack's leaving - I've never known any show before that thought it could get away with this kind of thing through spoilers before the show aired and just ignoring it on screen. It makes me think they think they can get away with anything and we will just accept it. Well, not this fan. Sorry, think again. I don't like the implication that I'm an idiot who'll just let you get away with that.
                            Thanks Albion for echoing what so many of us from so many walks of life (and of so many different opinions) here at GW have been saying.... There's been discussion since this time last year about RDA “calling in” his performances, especially into the latter half of S6 and into S7 - and we won’t even talk about his S8’s performances...

I know a few people who aren’t part of fandom who *are* scratching their heads wondering WTH just happened to their show and to Jack’s character. It is, as you said and IMOHO, disrespectful to viewers, especially average not-on-line viewers to assume what has happened and the reasons why. Yeah, we can assume ship, we can assume this and that… but reducing 8-years worth of history down to 8 lines of explanation is not a good thing. (And yes… I know from being on-line here all of the reasons why there’s no Jack and a reduced Sam….)

As someone who likes the Jack character, I hated what they (the writers and RDA) have done to the character, especially over S8 and the snippets we’ve seen of him this year. Snarky Action!Jack quickly turned into Cardboard!Jack. I realize TPTB really wanted RDA so as to keep their ratings high and the show going strong. But in their quest to sprinkle him in here and there last season to accommodate RDA’s schedule, they changed Jack into something that is hard to accept, especially given the history of the Jack of, say, S2-S4. My understanding is that BB & RDA didn’t film the scene in BB’s backyard together either. I agree we fans are not idiots - we know when we’re being scammed and using stand-ins & tech like that is a rip-off. (Show it for real or don’t bother to do it at all…)

I for one now wish they’d just given Jack a respectful sendoff – no assumptions to make nor couple of second scenes where we are the ones grimacing and arching our brows, not Jack. No more cardboard performances please - let me (and us) remember Action!Jack the way he was. Not this Ancient-Knowledge-brain-fried, having too many senior moments, shell-of-a-man-and-a-character that you wanted to dangle in front of us just to say “Here’s RDA for all you Jack/RDA fans - watch it – watch RDA!” It contributed nothing. Nor did it make me feel any better about Jack treating Cam like dirt.

I’ll miss the Jack character, but now I am sorry RDA did guest. Just let Jack retire and fish damn it and stop ruining a wonderful character.

And even though I am an S/J Shipper, I’m not so sure I want to see Sam with this version of Jack. He's nearly ready for a nursing home the way he was written and the way RDA played him!

[/rant]
                            I'm sorry to be this negative. It takes a lot for me to get this critical. I was really prepared to give S9 a chance. But I'm thoroughly disgusted by the way things have been handled and the disrespect shown. I'll be hoping that things improve over the weeks, but to be honest, unless the Orii get a serious personality transplant and start actually showing some real teeth and a serious threat, I'm going to continue to be bored rigid whenever they appear on screen. Which doesn't bode well for my enjoyment, given that all the eggs have been put in the Orii basket, with what looks like few standalone episodes to balance them and 99% of the focus either on them or the Jaffa (another plotline that bores me entirely).

Ah well...I'll be watching next week and hoping for better. But even if I like the rest of S9, I doubt I'll be forgiving TPTB soon for their ridiculous nonsense over the cast changes.

Albion
                            Don't apologize. We're all here to discuss the good and the bad......
                            Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)
                            My SG fanfic! ..Click Here.

Comment

Okay, six months ago, if someone had told me that with the start of the new seasons, I would develop a more invested interest in SG1 than Atlantis, I probably would've laughed in there face. Ah, how times have changed.

*sigh* I really, really, really don't want to dislike Atlantis; and with SG1 winding down and sleepwalking through the last couple of seasons--marked only by the highlights of it's almost all-around superb two-parters--I was ready for SG1 to move on and was fully invested in Atlantis.

But after last night...*sigh*...again, I really don't want to dislike Atlantis. But if things continue on--if characterizations, or more specifically, mischaracterizations (is that a word?)--continue on the way they have...let's just say it make take me down that unfortunate road where I eventually stopped caring.

SG1 meanwhile...dang...I give full kudos to everyone involved and all the people who spoke so enthusiastically about this new season. I think it's getting to be as good as the show has ever been. I thought the idea of revamping the series--from major characters to the villains to the mythos--was a bad idea right up until I watched the first half of Avalon. But after last night...man, I hope the series continues on the high it started on because I am abolustely loving SG1 right now.

The cast--new characters included--the new villains, potential for great new storylines...last night, I was getting chills during some of the stuff with the Priors and the music...and just the self-righteous, frustrating view the Ori have of themselves...and the music (which has always been great, but I'm loving the choral stuff).

Also, can we keep Vala around and make SG1 a five-person team? Because I am absolutely getting such a kick out of her character. More Vala, please?

I got a little emotional during the scenes at the end with Jack; particularly the one with Daniel, since Jack-Daniel banter was my absolute favorite aspect of the first five seasons, and it was just a reminder to me that we'll probably never get to really have it again. I was upset at first, because I had learned to love the new series with its new characters, and they had to bring him back and remind what we had lost; but I was ultimately happy with that, because it felt like a farewell to the character. And a nice cap on the fact that the series, so far, has managed to pull off what I didn't think it could--it can actually survive without RDA and Jack O'Neill.

Dang, SG1--I love you right now. Now please just don't let down with the rest of the season.
                              Metroids are not pets
                              Metroids are not for target practice
                              Any unauthorized feeding of metroids is prohibited

Comment

<<Instead we get a scene where Daniel is bearing his soul to Jack, telling him that for the first time in eight years he is truly frightened of what may lie ahead and how does Jack respond??

"I'm hungry." >>

I have to agree. Daniel's expression of fear was quite chilling. Considering the magnitude of Daniel's concern, Jack's quip felt entirely wrong. Daniel wasn't afraid for himself; he never is. Having just experienced a world that believes in the Ori, one where the Ori perform miracles to convince the populace of their power and then burn at the stake those who rebel, Daniel fears that Earth will fall under the Ori's rule. And Jack says he's hungry.

Well, okay. Season 9 is here. Jack is gone. Ben Browder is total eye candy. I'm sold. Bring it on!

Sparky

Comment

Working...
                                X