Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mongo's Girl
    That Prior dude creeped me out. Eeeek!

Agree Mitchell didn't have much to do, but I love his "That's what I'm talking bout!" moments.

I could understand Daniel without rewinding my TiVo.

Very very disappointed in RDA's cameo. I know they wanted to give us a look at him, but I'd rather they hadn't. Please tell me that's not his last appearance this year, cause that ain't how I want to remember him. I don't think I can bear to watch that scene again.
    Not sure if it is or not, but I agree with you. Would like to see a little better from O'Neill. One thing I did like though, was the kind of "passing the torch" to Mitchell scene in the F-302.
    sigpic
    MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
    "...phu...ah..."
    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Very good episode...

As far as I can tell, the Prior are either somewhat possessed, or have been 'artificially' advanced by the Ori. The Doci, seem to be 'archangels' of a sort. Obviously more advanced than the Prior, but still human mostly. Perhaps, they are a step below ascending themselves. It is clear that our galaxy will be able to expect a war on the physical plane. The Doci seemed to indicate, that the Ori would step up their recruitment of Priors and have the people they lead to form an army to go and conquer our galaxy. There will obviously be fighting in the physical plane, but what about the higher planes? Just how much could the Ancients protect us from the Ori directly? Which of them is more powerful? Are they equally powerful? Or perhaps it is a numbers game... are there more Ascended beings that agree with the Ancients, or do more of them agree with the Ori? If this the beginning of a new battle for years to come, then the Jaffa are going to have to get their act together to help us defeat this new threat. If they Ori cannot be themselves destroyed, then there would likely have to be a constant and proactive vigilance against the Priors and the troops that will be under their command. The Goa'uld were powerful, but they weren't that powerful, and they were also divided among themselves. The Ori are not. They are unified, and have real power to the point that they can certainly pass themselves off as gods.

This is going to be great...!
      The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed! Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is so vast, and we are so small, there is only truly one thing we can control; whether we are good or evil... -Oma Desala
      Spoiler:

To all the 'Sci & Tech' forum users: If you are searching for a thread about your topic of interest, please come visit our Concordance Thread. If you have any questions, we will attempt to help you.
      http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=26498

Feel free to pass the green..!

My Website... http://return-of-the-constitution.webs.com
      My Blog @ http://myhatsize.blogspot.com
      Amazing Literary Works of Fel... http://sennadar.com/wp/

Also, visit my webpage at... http://www.stargatesg1.com/Seastallion Sadly, this page is gone with the website that supported it, but I'll keep the link up in memorial.

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan
        Unfortunatly it doesnt matter whether you or I see it or not. People who tend to complain about stuff like that will likely see it. Lets face it, people who want to complain will see what they want to complain about in anything. Stargate is just making it a bit easier for them and I can see this storyline giving them an "in" to complain.

On the other hand I personally love storylines like this as I stated before Im a big B5 fan. I think if TPTB play this right this could be a much better, much more interesting storyline then the Go'uld ever were.
        But, that's no different than anything. Any storyline, someone can have objections to. I just don't see how this opens the door for specifically Christian complaints. I don't see the connection between the Ori and Christian belief. This seems so far from saying Christianity is wrong, or that any religion is wrong, that I'm just at a loss as to how someone else can see this episode as trying to say that.

Besides, if some Christians find it objectionable and protest, so what? I don't think it's going to have an effect on the show.
        I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

Wow, another ep where Vala didn't grate on me! Stunning! Of course, the trailer for the next ep indicates she's going to be back in "fine form" then, so we'll see...

Oddly the Ori didn't do much for me. I sort of got this "been there, done that" feeling with them as an enemy.

Went from neutral about Cam to dislike after his awkward greeting speech with his "bible thumping grandma." Eeesh.

And on the subject of awkward, Jack's "I'm hungry" comment after Daniel's confession that he was nervous was so out of place I cringed. Couldn't that have been written better??

Comment

The Ori (When they were in that dude) sounded like the Borg Collective from Star Trek
            sigpic

Comment

I think Origin really set the show up for several more seasons. It did stay true to the theme of false gods. Of course this time they actually have power. It is an interesting twist and gave me a sense of impending doom that may not be avoided.

Did anyone else think Daniel was right when he said he thought someone was watching? Maybe the ancients have been helping, after all, Earth was their home and the planet they chose to come back to and blend in with. This is the type of thing that makes Stargate interesting.

I am also interested in seeing the ships the Priors are going to build.
              "What is it with you and ascended women?!"

Proud member of the C.O.T.W.O.S.F.
              The Coalition Of Those Who Oppose Sci Fi (channel)

Comment

I'll admit two things for this ep.

1. It was a little bit better than the first two - and by better I mean like, crow with salsa is better than just plain crow.

2. Vala was funnier this time around - and not that crude humour niether. I'll giver her that, she's funny - not deep - funny. Funny like Saturday Night Live funny. I'll say - I don't wanna see her vanish, I wanna see Carters reaction to her peskieness then she can get kidnapped by the Ori or something and be back for some guest spots.

So far, the Ori have made me giggle oodles. They're stiff cardboard characters whom I neither feel anything for nor wish to. The whole 'Hallowed be the Ori' thing made me laugh out loud first time around, second time an eye roll.

I'm getting incredibly sick of the Jaffa union thingy. Teal'c hardly said two words this ep! What, does Cj have a sore throat or something?? PTB can't give him a little courtesy as letting him speak before his legions of fans while Danny boy, bless him, can't seem to keep his mouth shut?? Anyway, the Ori are cute, I guess a bad guy a day keeps the cancelation police away.

Nitpicks:

ROFL!! Daniel in tights! ROFLMAO!!! *just noticed that*

So...there's no table manners where Vala comes from? Dang, chomp right in, huh girl? That was pretty funny, Lol!

What happened to T's shirt? Did it shrink? Someone doesn't know how to use Tide Coldwash? They didn't have any extra large ones there? He's busting out people, is this professional onbase attire?

Could the Ori talk any slower? They sound like those weird tree people in LOTR.

Caroline is ... she does know she's not an android anymore, right?

OK, I'm all warm and fuzzy that Daniel and Vala made it home safe - but what about the people who get crispified instead!? What are they - sacrifices for the cause against these stupid Ori folk?? How horrible must it be to get back in your own body only to be tanned a few hundred shades! That was depressing...

End Nitpicks.

It's occured to me that the words 'enlightened', 'higher power' and some other word with a 'd' meaning really really superior were mentioned quite a few times. I'm confused, is Stargate now trying to climb the, 'how mysterious can you get' ladder as high as it can go? Cause if you go any higher, they'll end up saying that there is no God, god is just a collection of really uber powerful ascended humanoid alien lifeforms who have been protecting the universe and won't show their blessed being except to those who have acheived a certain level or "enlightenment" or whatever - which could fail the purpose of the show entirely - not that I know what the purpose is NOW. Are they trying to explain the Angels? How the prophets of the past saw angels or even God? Are they trying to explain humanity? Sure, it'd make more sense than the Big Bang theory, but then again, it's sho' nuff HYpocrisy! I liked Daniels line at the end when he says that he believe that during SG-1's escapades, he felt there was someone watching over them. He's so right there...

Mitchy, while actually having some good lines for a change, is annoying me. 'That's what I'm talkin' about!' is JACK'S LINE!!!!!!!!!!!!
                Anyhoo, all i can say for Mitch is 'Eh.'

*siiiigghhhh* 'twas good to see Jack again - though kind of disapointing. *bleak sigh* The last of the Fantastic Four...

Overall, better than Avalon. I'm still relatively Anti-S9 though.
                TEAM SG1 LIVES

Comment

Originally posted by mindtwister
                  I see that, from what i've seen i think the ori might under estimate the ancients power like you say they might consider them young stupid and traitors. Ultimately i don't think they would want to get into a war with each other it would be like oma and anubis.
                  well anubis said the collective will of the others could banish another ascended....soo umm who knows what a whole ascended war would turn into.

great episode. learn so much. You definately know the alterans (ancients) and the ori were one and the same....daniel gets to that city by using rings!

how great is is that the anicents have been shielding us? i guess they were good for something.

I thought it was a good point that daniel said to vala that the universe is inifinite so you the ori can't know everything. it echoes earlier points that ascended doesn't make you all knowing.

this sets up a lot of good stuff and i really hope we see some ascended beings more in the mix....more so than just in the four horsemen
                  come read my website!!!!!!!!!

www.xanga.com/keppiezbt

Comment

Ooh. My opinion of Mitchell has improved.... (The 'Bible Thumper' comment made me laugh, as I used the same term to describe a few people like half an hour earlier.)

Overall, very good episode. I like the 'fiery' ascended being look, its pretty cool, so thats something that the Orii have over the Ancients simply white glowiness.

Oh, and Vala is still awesome
                    sigpic

Comment

You know what noticed, at about halfway through the episode, after Vala and Daniel return to the house, when Vala looks at the mirror, you see the other woman. But when Daniel walks past, you don't see the other guy (he's suppose to be) walking past, you see {Michael} Shanks as Daniel walking past. I see they screwed up.

And one more thing, Origin is best episode of Season 9 thus far.
                      sigpic

Comment

First reaction is that they "dumped" the whole rest of the series on us in one fail swoop: The Ori, the Doci, the Priors. A big 'ole whumping.

Not that its bad, just that its hard to decide whether this is a good or bad move since its all just laying there in a big pile of "OMG what just happened". Its kind of neat in that way. You don't really know how to react. If that was an intention, it found the mark. (In other words, I'm slightly ambiguous about the direction and I'm quite satisfied with that feeling.)

I loved Daniel's reaction in the speech: "You can kill me for saying that but that is what I believe...." It was proud, personal and possibly foolish for the rest of the race...but very Daniel.

The RDA stuff was quite flat by comparison (both with Daniel and Cameron). I understood the purpose of the scenes ("passing the torch" and all that), but they just didn't ring true for me emotionally on first viewing. It doesn't feel like the actors were on the same planet, let alone the same soundstage. Maybe a second view will let me be more objective.

Edited to fix my spelling. You'd think I'd know by now.
                        Last edited by akimbo; 29 July 2005, 07:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dani347
                          But, that's no different than anything. Any storyline, someone can have objections to. I just don't see how this opens the door for specifically Christian complaints. I don't see the connection between the Ori and Christian belief. This seems so far from saying Christianity is wrong, or that any religion is wrong, that I'm just at a loss as to how someone else can see this episode as trying to say that.
                          The only connection I saw is when the Prior was talking at the SGC about coming to the unbelievers who have been sheltered by evil and whatnot. Cam turned to Landry and muttered something about the prior sounding like his grandma, who he stated earlier was a "bible-thumper". So I can see how some linked the Ori with Christianity in particular. I don't think it was a condemnation of a particular religion, just of a certain, zealot aspect shared by many religions over the centuries.

Comment

It was good... I was kind of disappointed in it though.

-The Orii coming after Earth- It seemed like a mix between awaking the wraith and the Goa'uld in general. But more of awaking the wrath of a crazed cult. Can't the bad guys find us first sometime?

- The exterior shot of the "City of gods"- it was pirdy! For some reason it reminded me of LOTR drawings

- And Vala's seemingly lighthearted comments about burning to death disturbed me. I have to watch again and see if CB plays it off as some kind of defense mechanism or not. But Vala was more restrained this episode, which I liked a lot better. However, I did find it odd that she might make jokes about being burned to death after she was burned to death.

- TPTB seem to be coming dangerously close to modern day popular religions, so they better watch it or they'll be making people mad. (especially since a lot of Arturian legends have Christian undertones)

-RDA's cameo... completely wasted! The only thing I liked was Daniel's admittance to being scared. He has a right to be- first he finds out that spoiler for S8
                            Spoiler:
                            Oma helped Anubis ascend
                            and now that some are basically forming cults. And yet, we still don't know exactly where O'Neill went off to.

- "Who's counting?" "Teal'c"

- One of the Priors looked like Riff Raff from Rocky Horror Picture Show

I did like how the Orii consider the Ancients evil. Hopefully a showdown in the future, although I doubt it because of the whole free will thing.
                            Why yes, I am aware that I am too sexy for my cat
                            RIP Stargate SG-1: The iris may be closed, but the gate will always be spinning, lighting the chevrons in my heart

And to the Sci Fi Channel...

Comment

I'm more pro-S9 than I was last week, that's for certain. I agree with Dani347 and everyone who said that the new themes are NOT trying to be anti-Christian or anti-any religion even. In fact, IMO the writers went out of their way in the conference room scenes to stand up for everyone having the right to have an individual personal belief system if they so chose.

To paraphrase Dani, this ep was...Just anti a sect of people of a particular belief...who believe in destroying anyone who doesn't agree. Watched the news lately, folks? Extremists like to wrap themselves in "religion" to excuse their hideous crimes. So they can commit violence that NO religion approves of. If anything, this new theme is a commentary on THOSE people alone.

Liked the IDEA behind the Jack scenes. Didn't like the execution of them one bit. Obvious use of stand-ins...seems they did the best they could, but still...Pity RDA hadn't had more time to wake up from his nap before shooting began. I honestly wondered if he was feeling well when this was shot.

Vala and the apple made me laugh. Taking a bite and offering it to Daniel. Garden of Eden, anyone? Apparently Daniel got the analogy as well.

Comment

I think it's an official rule of the Hero's Handbook. The heroes have to have some hand in the problem first of all. Unless the heroes are the clueless type who accidentally fall into trouble, and then it could be because of the enemy seeking them out. But, since SG1 isn't clueless anymore, they have to be the ones to make first contact.

Which modern day religion professes that people must believe, and resorts to killing them if they don't? I mean the religion itself, not the zealots who claim to follow said religion.
                                I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

Working...
                                X