Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by QuiGonJohn
    Which episode of SGA?
    "Hide and Seek", where an energy based creature was being studied by the Lantians

But alot of people jump to conclusions about ascension after seeing that episode - thinking Ascension was studied and artifical

In "Full Circle" Daniel found a tablet clearly stating that some ancients ascended during the plague that wiped out life in the MW. It seems that once they got the Pegasus some Lantians were naturally interested in how ascension worked and studied energy based creatures, wheter this research lead anywhere was never stated
    sigpic

Comment

I thought the show was better than Avalon, Pt. 2, and about the same as Pt. 1.

I have a question after watching it a few time. Where are the children in the village?

Comment

Originally posted by GhostPoet
        They already explained in the episode why the Orii didn't know about Earth. The Ancients were protecting earth..keeping it invisible to the Orii's vision. The Orii were not ignorant...they just couldn't see it.

As for who accended first (or at the same time) That's a speculation that is way too wide to guess on. They could have found the research after the people on atlantis discovered it..they would have thought it up themselves...there are countless speculations for it. I'm guessing the ancients ascended first...

How come they didn't know about the existence of the galaxy *before* the split? They were already equipped with intergalactic travel, or the Ancients couldn't have reached here. *We* can already map the universe for millions of light years. So, after they Ascended, did they just think the galaxy disappeared? And wouldn't make them suspicious?

Which still begs the question of why they didn't, in all the millions of years after the split but before ascension, ever try to discover where the unconverted group went--fanatics wouldn't be happy knowing the Ancients were out there and unconverted. Especially as the Ancients would be their equals and thus capable of opposing them if they chose to do so.

And how did they find the research on Atlantis? Apparently, they didn't *know* about Atlantis. Or the Pegasus galaxy. Has that one been "protected" as well? Because if they'd known, they would have been there, converting all the humans. And probably wiping out the Wraith.
        "He's an amazing man. After everything he's done, he's still modest. Quite self-effacing actually. He even likes people to think he's not as smart as he is. Bottom line, he's an incredibly strong leader who's given more to this program than any man has given to anything I can imagine."

Comment

Originally posted by DarkQuee1
          How come they didn't know about the existence of the galaxy *before* the split? They were already equipped with intergalactic travel, or the Ancients couldn't have reached here. *We* can already map the universe for millions of light years. So, after they Ascended, did they just think the galaxy disappeared? And wouldn't make them suspicious?
          Good observation. My theory is that they didn't so much hide certain galaxies as create a blind spot for the Ori. Think Jedi mind trick; "These are not the galaxies you are looking for."

Which still begs the question of why they didn't, in all the millions of years after the split but before ascension, ever try to discover where the unconverted group went--fanatics wouldn't be happy knowing the Ancients were out there and unconverted. Especially as the Ancients would be their equals and thus capable of opposing them if they chose to do so.
          My theory on this is that there had at one time been a war between these two groups. Who knows, maybe the effects of their war is what wiped out life in some galaxies, including the MW - that plague thing the Ancient talked about. The spanish flu was caused because of WW1(and it killed more people than the war did).

Just because both the Ancients and the Ori are ascended doesn't mean they have the same technologies and resources. Maybe the Ori are more powerful in different areas than the Ascended are, although we saw that the Ori are not all-seeing. And maybe this explains, in part, why the Ascended don't interfere with lower-plane creatures; doing so might give away their position to the Ori.

I hope your questions are addressed in this and subsequent seasons.
          Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
          "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
          One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
          resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
          confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
          A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
          The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

To play RDA advocate here.

Not surprised he looks totally knackered -- he went straight from the anti-seal cull demonstrations and a massive amount of quite viscious media attention (not to mention a recovering ankle in damn cold conditions) to filming these scenes in Vancouver.

Also, considering CJ's (and to a lesser extent MS') comments on S9, which seem rather thinly veiled comments about how things are so much better without RDA (and let's forget that they both seem to have forgotten that AT is a permanent cast member from the content of recent interviews), would you really expect him to be that happy to be there?

Not to mention the lack of any real good send of scenes for the character of Jack O'Neill.
            Let's hope that they can get him back for at least one scene with AT -- ship or no ship, IMO their best work has been with each other over S7 & S8 (whereas before this much work with MS was probably the best). They certainly seem to get on a lot better, and as RDA has said frequently, he has no interest on working on something that's no fun -- LTS.

Comment

It’s good to play ‘angel’s advocate’ gone fishin’, to give the thread a more well-rounded point of view. My earlier rant aside in this thread aside, I agree there were a multitude of reasons, most of which we’ll never know, for RDA’s lackluster performance.

But I guess I’m looking at it from a casual not-on-line fan’s point of view (because most of us who lurk or post around here knew S8 was basically it for RDA’s involvement). SciFi’s advertising not only targeted the new team, but it prominently displayed Jack. That casual viewer could easily assume they were going to see Jack utilized somewhere in the show and see some witty repartee between the characters, based on the SG1 reruns that SciFi runs in very heavy rotation. A really quick clip earlier probably made them scratch their head, but the ads still promoted Jack showing up for Origin. And then came the Jack/Dan and Jack/Cam scenes in this ep and none of it contributed to the plot. If I wondered “That’s it?” and wondered what the heck went on behind the scenes instead of that scene making me think about the story, you can’t tell me a casual fan wasn’t saying the same thing and that’s not good.

I guess it’s almost like false advertising. Here watch for Jack/RDA, he’s baaaaack. And if the viewer’s assumption was that the writing would be high-caliber, the acting would be high-caliber and that if it couldn’t have been edited to make it high-caliber in post-production, then the clips wouldn’t have even been shown to bring down an otherwise okay show. And I guess that would be my focus – if it wasn’t any good even after as much post-production as they could put into it, then it should have been skipped and perhaps a guest spot could have been arranged at a later time when the actor was in better health with a better script making the character a more integral part of storyline. (But yes… I know the nature of that business… ratings game teases…) I don’t know, I guess I’d rather have not seen it, instead wanting to see more of the other story arcs they’re trying to develop, and leave Jack a happy memory, hoping if they did bring him back it would be more of a knock-my-socks off scene instead of sorrowful sigh kind of moment.
              Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)
              My SG fanfic! ..Click Here.

Comment

Did anyone else notice when walter dialed up the gate at the end of the episode when he was locking the 7th chevron, the first 6 chevrons suddenly all changed.
                It happend in a split second and since I didn't tape or download the episode, can someone confirm that I'm not crazy but the chevrons actually changed.

Comment

Yeah, the chevrons definitely changed. I thought I noticed that the first time I watched it, too, but I wrote it off as my eyes playing tricks. After watching it a few more times, I found the chevrons do change. Kinda sloppy, isn't it?
                  Thornbird: I'm Major Robort Thornbird. And you are?
                  Jack: Captain James T. Kirk of the starship Enterprise.
                  Thornbird: Your dog tags say otherwise.
                  Jack: ... They're lying.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCorpulent1
                    Yeah, the chevrons definitely changed. I thought I noticed that the first time I watched it, too, but I wrote it off as my eyes playing tricks. After watching it a few more times, I found the chevrons do change. Kinda sloppy, isn't it?
                    yeah, but it is a minor error, I'm just glad I'm not mistaken.

Comment

What a crappy episode!!! I've just gotten back from vacation and while I was able to see the show, this is the first time I've been able to get to Gateworld. I can't believe so many people apparently like this episode. I was very disappointed. Each episode so far this season has left me with more questions than answers, and NOT in a good way. I've just been very disappointed so far this season... the "Arthurian legend" thing lasted all of, what, half an episode? Then all these fabricated plotlines which seem to exist solely to take up space. It sort of seems as if the writers came up with "filler" episoes to mark time until the "real" season begins... whenever that will be. (Personally, I'm hoping that happens when Carter returns.) So instead of the Goa'uld, who say "worship me or die," we get the Orii, who say "believe in us or die." [Yawn] Let's see: trying to convince people these powerful beings are not gods? Check. Fighting against so-called omnipotent beings? Check. Been there, done that. This whole storyline is old hat... just tweaked enough to seem like something new. In any case, if future episodes continue to be as confusing and/or boring as the first ones, I'm afraid my teenaged son will lose interest and give up watching with me. (I think he's pretty close to that now.)
                      Last edited by jyh; 03 August 2005, 11:44 AM.

Comment

Well, finally, the Ori. False Gods, II.

But I liked the episode. The next gen SG-1 has to have a beginning, and a creepy new meglomaniacal Hellfire Club certainly got my attention. Not a drop dead original ( ) idea, but when dealing with the unknown universe, who can say what's not to like/hate/love/fear? I'll have faith ( ) that the writers will make this particular devil worth the wait. Nice effects with that wall of Ori-fire. And yech to the possession of the Doci (nice to see Julian Sands!! Hope he hangs around). Not sure I understand these new baddies but I'll keep the...faith.

I also wondered that Daniel (not so much Vala) didn't mention the two people whom they possessed, now toasted. Daniel is usually more compassionate about the innocent. Maybe that's coming up.

And RDA. Oh, RDA. It's hard to believe that was his final appearance after 8 years. For my money, they should have waited until he had time for a well written scene that at least sent him off with a nod, a tear, a smile, ANYTHING but a "huh?" So not well done of all parties to this.

Otherwise they gave us good intel on the coming threat. Mayhap all our questions and doubts will be answered.

Just sayin'.
                        MISSION: STARGATE REWATCH 2011-2012 ENGAGED DONE!
                        sigpic
                        Beware Helen Magnus - Doctor of A$$-Kicking

Comment

Originally posted by jyh
                          I've just been very disappointed so far this season... the "Arthurian legend" thing lasted all of, what, half an episode? Then all these fabricated plotlines which seem to exist solely to take up space. It sort of seems as if the writers came up with "filler" episoes to mark time until the "real" season begins... whenever that will be. (Personally, I'm hoping that happens when Carter returns.) So instead of the Goa'uld, who say "worship me or die," we get the Orii, who say "believe in us or die." [Yawn] Let's see: trying to convince people these powerful beings are not gods? Check. Fighting against so-called omnipotent beings? Check. Been there, done that. This whole storyline is old hat... just tweaked enough to seem like something new.
                          Personally, I'm glad the Arthurian legend thing ended fast, as many people found it uninteresting and quite boring. Despite that, who's to say that we won't return to this?

As far as these episodes being "fillers," I can hardly agree with you that the triology of episodes that sets up a whole new different kind of Stargate SG-1 are simply "filler episodes." Filler episodes are made to save costs and generally do not move the storyline along. However, we got quite a bit of moving along: We find a device, we meet the omniscient Ori, the Ori discover our "need," the Ori prepare to attack us. It also didn't seem cheap: Burning effects, intricate costumes, etc. If you were to take out these three episodes, the rest of the season would be a confusing blur, even moreso than you claim Avalon and Origin to be.

As far as these beings seeming "so-called" omnipotent, it seems they're pretty omnipotent to me. One could argue that the staffs (though according to photos from 9.10 The Fourth Horseman, the Doci can do pretty powerful things without it) are actually technology, but regardless, the Ori are ascended and can see all that the Altearans have not hid from them. The difference between the Ori and the Goa'uld, as Vala says at the end of Origin, is that they're no longer dealing with a race of snakes posing with technology, the Ori actually believe that they are Gods, and they have an army of Priors and Doci to do their bidding.

I'm sorry you're not enjoying, but I'm going to continue to watch. I think the next two might be filler episodes, but hopefully they're enjoyable. As far as your comment about Lt. Colonel Carter, I hope things pick up even more upon her return. From the photos, looks like Beachhead and The Fourth Horseman will be excellent, though I can't judge by pictures alone.

And as for RDA's appearence, I'm going to pretend it didn't happen and hope TPTB repent by giving him another appearance. I would have rather seen Daniel thinking about Harrid, Sallis, and Fannis and their deaths.
                          Last edited by SierraGulf1; 04 August 2005, 01:32 PM.
                          Beyond the Horizon Lies the Gateway to a New Galaxy
                          Stargate Horizon, Co-Executive Producer
                          Latest Episode: 4.06 - "Eden"
                          Stargate Destiny, Fan
                          Latest Episode: 1.20 - "Alliances, Part One"

Comment

I really liked this episode and the season so far. The Orii are pretty cool new bad guys, Vala is wonderful comic relief even though she'll be leaving shortly and Amanda Tapping who just had to go and have a baby will be back. It will be interesting to see where it goes from there.
                            I feel sorry for the people whose names I have no hope of spelling that Daniel and Vala took over. Thats one way to come back into your body, that sucks.
                            I liked RDA's little part, it's not the same because things arent.

Comment

Originally posted by SierraGulf1
                              Personally, I'm glad the Arthurian legend thing ended fast, as many people found it uninteresting and quite boring. Despite that, who's to say that we won't return to this?
                              I think SG-1 just feels weird without some mythological aspect to it. I wasn't all that interested in Japanese mythology, but I could appreciate Lord Yu and Amaterasu's presence because they retained that mythological aspect about the Goa'uld and SG-1 in general that I like. I find Arthurian legend pretty interesting, myself, but even if they replace the Arthurian stuff with something else, I think they should have some kind of mythological basis for the villains. It's kind of SG-1's central gimmick.
                              Thornbird: I'm Major Robort Thornbird. And you are?
                              Jack: Captain James T. Kirk of the starship Enterprise.
                              Thornbird: Your dog tags say otherwise.
                              Jack: ... They're lying.

Comment

Now that I'm finally able to get around to writing this:

What was good:
                                a. Erm...just about everything. I don't remember having any major bones to pick at with this one, which makes for a nice change. But oh, right, my inner OCD won't let me finish this w/out specifics. So...
                                b. Vala. I'm liking Claudia Black's character more every week.
                                Spoiler:
                                [Pity it looks like we're losing her in 'Beachhead'. Grr.]
                                Black has a delightful comedic side that wasn't visible in Farscape, and I'm glad we've gotten to see her being funny instead of all PMS [Peacekeeper Military Sh!t'].
                                c. Daniel. Generally speaking, I am not a fan of Dannyrific eps. They all seem the same to me: he goes crazy, dies, or falls in love, sometimes all at the same time. Ths one was more of 'Daniel Jackson: Archeologist and Intergalactic Explorer' than 'Daniel Jackson: Overly Sensitive Philanthropist' [I've nothing against philanthropists, mind you, but don't they have extras for that sort of thing so Danny can do his job?]. He handled the situation with the Priors and Doci nicely. I also found his ellucidation of the fire motif in Earth religion immensely interesting. It's been a while since there's been new cultural info on the show, and I hadn't realized I'd missed it.
                                d. After T-man and Cameron destroyed the jar-thingy and Daniel and Vala woke up and we saw Harrid and Sallis appear in the fire...that creeped me out. Just...[wince]. That'd really suck.
                                e. I'm liking Lexa Doig's character--Dr. Lam. She's enough like Janet w/out being too much like her.
                                f. Suprisingly, I don't dislike Gerak as much as I was expecting to.
                                g. AT would usually be on here somewhere, but, blast it, she's still not on the show.
                                h. RDA. He's back! ...sort of. I'm still waiting to hear why Jack accepted the promotion in the first place, not to mention the breaking up of SG-1 [currently SG-.5]. Come on, writers, throw us a bone here...
                                i. The Ori. New villians! Woot! See below for related mutterings.
                                j. Techie stuff: sets, costumes, props, SFX, etc. Everything seemed to fit; nothing out of place.
                                k. Oh! Storyline! Liked the storyline! Nice to see that they've thought of [if a little late] the vacuum left by the demise of the goa'uld.

What wasn't good: [sorry, thought of something]
                                a. What is it with this show and glowing eyes? I mean, really.
                                b. And this whole thing w/ Evil!Ancients, sorry, Ori, sort of wrecks all my hopes that the Ancients were incorruptible. I'd sort of thought of them as the best you could be, an ideal race, so to speak--a theory that seems to be holding progressively less water [thanks to 'Threads' and then this].
                                c. Have the Nox just fallen off the face of the...galaxy, or what? What would they be doing in response to the Ori? Would they just let them take over? We know the Nox have technology coming out their ears, but what can they do against Evil!Ancients?

...And that's it, just in time for new eps tomorrow night...

Comment

Working...
                                X