No announcement yet.

Avalon, Part 2 (902)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I liked this episode too... and I didn't hate Vala... how is this happening?

Of course, I must be nit picky and put a few things I didn't like about the ep. out there... but let's cover the good things first, shall we?

Good
    -"Look, I didn't hear any screaming or squishing sound"
    - Vala was much easier to stand in this ep, I actually felt bad when she was burning
    - Which brings me too..."I suggested procreation with herself"
    - And... awesome acting on the part of MS and CB!
    - There's a new doc in town... and I think she's going to be a pretty good character. MUCH different from Janet, but that's a good thing. ((Although I still miss Janet ))
    - YAY! For going all out on the very graphic burning scene. That sounds wrong, but I'm just saying that it's good they're starting to take those kind of chances and show a little more gore and human emotion.
    - An outfit of Vala's I actually like, although I suppose it wasn't her outfit exactly, but the Renaissance style stuff was better than that dominatrix thing and I didn't feel uncomfortable when my parents walked into the room
    - Liked the Daniel/ Vala interaction (weird, huh?)

A few not so good things...

- Did anyone else get the Rocky vibe when CM was almost out of the fight with the knight, which prompts a flashback to the crash and his recovery? I found that a bit cheesy
    - Once again, got the Indiana Jones vibe
    - The puzzles were slightly too easy
    - Daniel still has that beard
    Why yes, I am aware that I am too sexy for my cat
    RIP Stargate SG-1: The iris may be closed, but the gate will always be spinning, lighting the chevrons in my heart

And to the Sci Fi Channel...

Comment

Well, I was going to do something humourous ... but I decided not to. I just realized that the Stargate I know and love is, sadly, gone. It's limping forward in a state of otherworldly suspension, like looking into that white light and waiting ... just waiting...

Well, maybe a few notes on my part.

Vala: annoying ...but funny. But she needs a new outfit - seriously. I'm afraid being in the one she's in will cut off her circulation.
      Daniel: PLEASE SHAVE THE BEARD!!!! Oh - and he was funny too.
      Mitchy: ...
      Caroline: ...hey, look, Lexa .... a little brash for a doctor, I thought. Certainly doesn't seem as freindly as Doc Frais.
      Plot: The fire scene was conveiniant. Really, whats with the intricate fire designs? if I want to see cool stuff with fire, I'll get some booze and a sparkler. Poor Vala though, that looked painful. Cool coming back to life scene but the Orii? Ain't buyin, so don't sell it! He looked like he got a flour bag dumped on him. The Danny Vala interaction was cute, but just to clarify, there's a difference between a cliffhanger and an unsure ending. In a cliffhanger, you abruptly stop the action just when your on the edge of your seat. A CLIFFHANGER is a CUT OFF SENTENCE. "StarGate Season 9 su -" and you cut it off. An UNSURE ENDING is "Well, you know, Lemme think about it..." A sentence that is being pondered upon, not the same slightly pissed reaction of a cliffhanger-ee. Remember that.

It's nice, the "new team, new enemy, new story line", but I don't really want a new enemy. I don't want the Goa'uld to be gone, nor the Replicators or the others guys. In a perfect world, yeah, they'd be gone, but it's not a perfect world. TV's supposed to show a somewhat familiar world, but from the veiw of likable protagonists, with pasts, futures, hopes, dreams, wishes. Mix them with a familiar world and a little danger, intrigue, fact and fiction, You've got the perfect world that you'd wanna get away to. You need to feel like you'd want to jump right in the fray with them and help save the day. You build baddies that you feel comfy around and want to see again and again and cream again and again. These types of shows make you want to feel like you want to live to die another day. It's a great feeling for me, personally. I know that might sound kinda stupid and cheesy but thats just moi. I know we don't want our characters to be Peter Pan's, never dying, always looking young and vibrant. They're real - fictional - people. They should live and change. They should grow older and wiser with age. But when something happens back in the dreaded real world, that impedes that fictional real world story from pushing on, like certain beloved characters dropping out or not being there very often, and new strangers introduced, it becomes a hollow, frightening world. These new people say you can trust them on your brand new shrinkwrapped journey - but do you want to? "Kiss you? I hardly know you!" And to make matters worse, its in the 9th season which for most shows is the end. The end being over or canceled. So, Stargate, look, it's cool what you're doing, Vala is kinda funny - annoying funny, Daniel's cool but he's not the danny i'm familiar with and I don't know, I'm picky. Jack's gone and Jack made it feel like home. Sam's there but in RL she's busy. Good for her. T - I don't know what T's up to really. This whole Jaffa thing is way too political for me and I liked it better when I didn't have to see RL politics intermingle. Sure, it's a nice analogy for RL stuff, but don't make it so dang obvious, eh? Anyway, Stargate was great while it was what it was, but now, it's not that anymore. I'll keep watching to see what'll happen but Stargate ended for me 2 seasons ago.

I beg of thee, benevolent Powers That Be, don't let Sg-1 get canceled!!!

omg, I just wrote all that for a TV show????? I must really be in need of a life.

Anyhoo, Ave atque Vale, SG-1.
      Last edited by Osiris-RA; 22 July 2005, 07:47 PM. Reason: Ok, a little review...couldn't resist. :D
      TEAM SG1 LIVES

Comment

How is Daniel not the Daniel we all know and love? He seems the same to me: obsessed with knowledge, the resident problem-solver, humanistic, glib in his off time, bursting with enthusiasm when he finds something new... What's missing?
        Thornbird: I'm Major Robort Thornbird. And you are?
        Jack: Captain James T. Kirk of the starship Enterprise.
        Thornbird: Your dog tags say otherwise.
        Jack: ... They're lying.

Comment

I liked it a lot. I may have to eat crow soon, because just in this one episode, Vala grew on me a lot. I liked her much better here than any of the past eps we've seen her in.

I'm going to keep on saying it.... Even though I hate the show changed this year and would love nothing more than to see RDA back, I really like how the show has started out so far this season. SG1 just has a sense of quality about it I think, even in the bad moments, it's still good TV IMO. The article on Gateworld's homepage is dead on, the new camera angles, the new sets, everything about the show just feels exciting.

This season has started off with a distinct feel and a ton of new energy and I love it. "Energy" is being overused I guess, but it's the best word to descibe it I think.

Lovin it so far....

Comment

Originally posted by TheCorpulent1
            How is Daniel not the Daniel we all know and love? He seems the same to me: obsessed with knowledge, the resident problem-solver, humanistic, glib in his off time, bursting with enthusiasm when he finds something new... What's missing?
            He's not a geek anymore.
            TEAM SG1 LIVES

Comment

He seems very geeky to me. He's surrounded by gold and jewels, and Vala pouring them down her chest, and he doesn't notice because his head is buried in a book. If that's not geeky, I don't know what is.
              I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

mixed feelings. the stuff with the ori was cool but they moved so quickly. and what did we really learn about the ancients? they came from another galaxy a long time ago? already knew that.

good script, good acting, good after they go to whatever galaxy but the merlin stuff was weak.
                come read my website!!!!!!!!!

www.xanga.com/keppiezbt

Comment

I did notice there were no children in the village. What's up with that? All those couples and no kids? Indoctrination starts late?

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

Originally posted by Osiris-RA
                    Well, I was going to do something humourous ... but I decided not to. I just realized that the Stargate I know and love is, sadly, gone. It's limping forward in a state of otherworldly suspension, like looking into that white light and waiting ... just waiting...

It's nice, the "new team, new enemy, new story line", but I don't really want a new enemy. I don't want the Goa'uld to be gone, nor the Replicators or the others guys. In a perfect world, yeah, they'd be gone, but it's not a perfect world. TV's supposed to show a somewhat familiar world, but from the veiw of likable protagonists, with pasts, futures, hopes, dreams, wishes. Mix them with a familiar world and a little danger, intrigue, fact and fiction, You've got the perfect world that you'd wanna get away to. You need to feel like you'd want to jump right in the fray with them and help save the day. You build baddies that you feel comfy around and want to see again and again and cream again and again. These types of shows make you want to feel like you want to live to die another day. It's a great feeling for me, personally. I know that might sound kinda stupid and cheesy but thats just moi. I know we don't want our characters to be Peter Pan's, never dying, always looking young and vibrant. They're real - fictional - people. They should live and change. They should grow older and wiser with age. But when something happens back in the dreaded real world, that impedes that fictional real world story from pushing on, like certain beloved characters dropping out or not being there very often, and new strangers introduced, it becomes a hollow, frightening world. These new people say you can trust them on your brand new shrinkwrapped journey - but do you want to? "Kiss you? I hardly know you!" And to make matters worse, its in the 9th season which for most shows is the end. The end being over or canceled. So, Stargate, look, it's cool what you're doing, Vala is kinda funny - annoying funny, Daniel's cool but he's not the danny i'm familiar with and I don't know, I'm picky. Jack's gone and Jack made it feel like home. Sam's there but in RL she's busy. Good for her. T - I don't know what T's up to really. This whole Jaffa thing is way too political for me and I liked it better when I didn't have to see RL politics intermingle. Sure, it's a nice analogy for RL stuff, but don't make it so dang obvious, eh? Anyway, Stargate was great while it was what it was, but now, it's not that anymore. I'll keep watching to see what'll happen but Stargate ended for me 2 seasons ago.

I beg of thee, benevolent Powers That Be, don't let Sg-1 get canceled!!!

omg, I just wrote all that for a TV show????? I must really be in need of a life.

Anyhoo, Ave atque Vale, SG-1.

Longest post I've ever read (not *seen* mind you, read. usually when they are that long I just skip to the next one , especially when there are no paragraph breaks as is the case here ).

Osiris, I tend to agree with just about all of your posts I read, good stuff most times... But... I have to disagree with you here, as far as our opinions go I guess, cause that's all this is from both of us.

But for me, the whole, "Oh look, the Replicators aren't dead, they.... replicated!!!!" thing was getting VERY banal. The human form replicators was OK, but the end of that story was end of their story, as it felt it should be. I'm over them, they were cool, but I'm glad they're gone.

As to the Gou'uld. I hardly think they're done. Look at how things stand now, the Jaffa are on a road that seems destined for civil war on several fronts. I see many factions springing up out of this. Some Jaffa will no doubt go back to following their gods when the free Jaffa show their human nature and struggle amongst themselves for power, as nations here do so well. Perhaps late this season, or even next year, we will see the return of an overlord, Baal anyone?

I'm loving the show right now, the Orii seem to fit into the mythos perfectly, and I can't wait to see how they develop.

You said it yourself Osiris, don't cancel the show! Well, if the season 12 finale involves another final showdown with the Replicators, then I think we all now this baby will need put to sleep. But with the Orii, the inevitable return of Goa'ulds, and the possibilities of a power struggle among "free" Jaffa (how many dictators will we see rise out of this? The possibility of a Stalin or Hitler type Jaffa leader who entralls a huge nation of Jaffa to follow him, to the death if need be is interesting... echoes of "The Warrior" perhaps?) I think the future of SG1 is bright indeed. Maybe in season 18 we can bring back some replicators for you....

Comment

Originally posted by keppiezbt
                      mixed feelings. the stuff with the ori was cool but they moved so quickly. and what did we really learn about the ancients? they came from another galaxy a long time ago? already knew that.

good script, good acting, good after they go to whatever galaxy but the merlin stuff was weak.
                      I agree with the moving quickly statement, a little goes a long way with a new enemy. No problem yet, but the sense of mystery about the Orii is a great feeling for a change, I hope they don't spill the beans too soon!

Comment

I really have to say, my high expectations for Avalon Part 2 were exceeded. I feel like the puzzles were solved quickly, but they needed to be or else there would be screaming and squishing noises. Mitchell did very well describing the Ancient symbols to Daniel (chair thing, random boxes). The sword match was amazing, and the effect of the hologram's sword hitting Mitchell was cool.
                        Vala stealing the coin and it having to be there was good. And Mitchell's last minute "put the sword back" was smart. I was in shock when all the treasure appeared. Mostly, I'm impressed that he figured out the Ancients were from another galaxy. Smart!
                        Daniel and Vala as two other people was good. Vala poking herself - cute. The fire thing - dark and creepy. The show took a weird turn showing her go up in flames. Kinda wrong.
                        Oh! Dr. Lam! Didn't even realize Janet or Brightman were not there when she was. She did a good job.
                        The Prior, interesting. Very unsettling when he said "Thank the Ori."
                        Overall, a 9/10. Introducting the Ori and finishing last week's stories but leaving it open for Origin to finish the job.

Comment

I liked this episode but it didn't move as quickly as part 1 did for me. I'll have to watch it a second time before I could give any kind of review but I will echo what some others have said: Daniel talks too fast! He desperately needs to slow down I get lost listening to him.

I don't like the Dr.--guess I'm the oddball out here but she just came across as quite abrasive to me. (And I still mourn Janet Fraiser.)

I like Mitchell, but then again I love Ben Browder, and I think Vala is okay. I like her and wish she were staying for more than the five eps. I would love to see her interact with Carter on a regular basis.
                          I still miss Jack and Sam

Comment

I was going to lurk and not post -- but this was a great ep and I had to say it. I've watched it twice already - the burning scene was incredible. I can't imagine Daniel treating Vala the same after that -- Something like that would remain in your mind for a long time. Claudia was wonderful -- I've never thought Vala was annoying and she was definately toned down. Nothing over the top or cheesy -- her reactions after being brought back-- the vulnerability and haunted look -- wow - amazing. I had seen the ep photos, so I "knew" the what happened -but a still picture didn't capture the "OMG" moment -- the screams and then the whoosh! Geez, I'm getting goosebumps again.

Don't mean to gush, but this was a great ep. I do agree that MS is talking extremely fast -- I'm catching most of it -- but you really have to listen. Mitchell was great -- ok - the flashback was ify -- but BB can handle it. I like that he can "get" what Daniel is alluding to -- he catches on.

I'm excited to see Lou Gosset -- that will be a great treat.

Comment

I generally liked the episode a lot.

The pacing does seem faster and that is a good thing. In the past, I sometimes found SG-1 a little to "slow-feeling" for my taste. This new pacing is good because TV is generally getting faster.

The only place it slows down for me and gets really dull is when they switch to the Jaffa storyline. Fortunately, they are keeping those scenes relatively short at this time.

I really like Mitchell and it was smart that he was getting beat up pretty good for a while in the swordfight before making a comeback. It made it more interesting.

Comment

This is the first night that I clearly liked SGA much better than SG1, and I have to admit I never thought I would feel this way.

I found the SG1 episode to be actually really boring. Daniel talks way to fast to keep me interested. I'm focusing on how fast he is talking and how he is saying his lines, ---and this is distracting. MS and CB, however, did a good job at the end. But most important for me, it did NOT feel like the older SG1 seasons at all. There was no team feel here really. Teal'c is off alone again most of the time, and once again has little to do in this episode. It is difficult to feel what Mitchell is really feeling yet, because we just don't know him well enough. Near the end of the show I thought, gee Mitchell isn't really in the show much tonight, oh yeah, that's right, he had that sword fight. Lexa Doig did fine, but she doesn't show much compassion for her patients yet like Dr. Frasier (but of course I'll give it awhile--but right from the beginning you knew how much Dr. Frasier cared for the characters---wasn't Broca Divide her first appearance?). Can't tell what Landry cares about either. There was very little in the way of showing reactions of the characters except the Daniel/Vala scenes at the end. When you don't see much in the way of reactions, it just doesn't feel right for me.

The problem for me as others have mentioned is that the writers seem to be trying to sometimes force the writing around Vala, and it's not really pulling me in much. I think she was fine, though, but it's getting old already.

In SGA I felt excitement, suspense, good humor, and caring between the characters (like the good ole days of SG!1---Brad Wright is spot on). SG1 did not have this same feel at all for me. Obviously some characters are new, but I think caring can be conveyed from the get go.

And the build up to the bad guys is so slow. And I haven't learned much about them so far. Just not real exciting storytelling yet for me. But perhaps down the road.

Comment

Working...
                                X