No announcement yet.

Avalon, Part 1 (901)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did not expect much but have to say it was worse than my expectations had been prepared for. It is the opener of a new season and Daniel seemed angry and could not wait to leave SG1? The Teal'c and Jaffa politics bit --sound familiar? I really do not like when shows try to send a message about current events.

I wish they would not have played off on Farscape.
    Laundry--he is ok--he can say "I will call the president" as well as any General.

..... I did not see that Daniel was angry. It actually tied in to past eps. Daniel wanted to go to Atlantis from the very beginning. The pilot for Atlantis had him asking Jack twice if he could go -- as they went through the wormhole. And then again with Prometheus Unbound. Now he FINALLY gets to go. I didn't sense anger only -- "it's about time!" in his attitude

I loved Farscape and watched every ep -- how do you think they played off it? A few remarks in the very begining when BB meets Vala? How many McGyver remarks did we get throughout the seasons?? It's only normal to poke fun at something like that. Everyone knows they were both on Farscape for years - so it got a little humor -- the writers brought in all the hype about MS and BB looking similar. Stargate has been doing this for years -- so you see -- it hasn't changed all that much.

As I said before - the writers had alot to accomplish in this -- establish Mitchell and his relationship with the team and his attempt to put it together again. There wasn't time to go through the emotions of the team deciding to go their separate ways. Would have been nice -- but no time. That's an ep all to itself.

If you've read any of the upcoming ep spoilers - then you know Merlin isn't around long and the other eps look really good.

Merlin??? geez[/QUOTE]

Comment

Originally posted by GateTraveler
      ...I could be wrong but it looked exactly like when Major's ship goes down in the show's opening credits.
      I saw a combination of Six Million Dollar Man and the Battle of Hoth from The Empire Strikes Back. Right down to Dack... I mean Mitchell's gunner... dying for no discernible reason and blood running down his face from under his helmet.
      ~bri~

Comment

I have only one thing to add.
        And I hope TPTB are listening.

THAT WAS BLOODY BRILLIANT!
        MORE PLEASE!

FF, chuffed to little mintballs by season nine episode one.
        edited to add - and I want the DVD for this NOW, I so want to listen to the commentary for this one!
        sigpic

Comment

Ben Browder was one of the only good things about the this opening episode, that was SO hyped by tptb. Beau Bridges was great as the irascible General Landry, BUT Vala was way over the top. A little sex and humor is fine, but the way she was written was embarrassing, esp. as Claudia Black is such a great actress. CJ looked bored and Michael Shanks, well, I won't say, as I'm not in the mood to get flamed.

I do have an observation.....didn't anyone else draw the comparison of this ridiculous plot and the Indiana Jones movies? It was like watching snippets of The Last Crusade and the The Temple of Doom, replete with descending cave ceilings and riddles, like "only the penitant man will pass". That's the best the writers could come up with? Re-cycled Speilberg?

Sorry, but I was disappointed in the Avalon, part 1. I can only hope things go UP ( like the ceilings) from here, as I love SG-1 and I did not love last night premiere.
          On fighting:
          Farrah: "A swordsman does not fear death, if he dies with honor."
          Dr. Who: "Then he's an idiot."

Comment

It wasn't a bad episode. Browder, Shanks and Bridges did a really good job. It seemed like that in this episode Teal'c really didn't have anything to do. I do agree that Vala was way over the top with her thing. I guess that's her though.

Comment

Loved it! Amazing!

The Daniel/Vala banter was priceless. ROTFL!

The whole episode was very good. Seriously, I think I laughed more than I do watching Family Guy.

*bows down to writers*

Comment

Good episode... a little slow to start off, but I am sure that wasn't helped by the complete lack of opening credits...

The only thing I didn't like is that they spent too much time making sure that we, as fans, knew that the characters of SG-1 accepted Mitchell and thought of him as a righteous dude... perhaps thinking that fans would accept Mitchell if we knew that Carter and Daniel and Teal'c and O'Neill accepted him and thought he was a hero. I personally didn't need that connection so much, although it saves the whole "Jonas must prove himself worthy!!!" problem from the beginning of season 6... or does it?...

Despite their apparently positive view of Mitchell, Daniel and especially Teal'c don't seem to thrilled with the guy... so maybe there is some Jonas action going on anyways.

Regardless, BESIDES this problem, it was a good ep. Slow... but that is to be expected. I also expect things to really pick up next week. The feel of the show is so different now, but that is not really a bad thing.

[Also, the three Farscape jokes... not sure if I liked 'em or disliked 'em. I think at least one was the actors ad-libbing.]

Comment

In one word i can summarize the premiere. 'funny'

Past episodes of SG1 were funny, but this was a different funny, a different funny as in with BB! I was never a fan of Farscape, but i love Vala and Cameron, but i'll always love my originals.
                  Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

Thoughts:

-Wasn't that impressed with Cam so far. He just seemed awkward (perhaps intentionally?) and his flashbacks seemed out of place for some reason. I'm also neutral with Landry; he's no Hammond but maybe he'll fit into his niche later.

-Surprisingly, I actually liked Vala when she was serious and smart in this ep. Her cutesy sex humor throughout the ep and her childish impatience with Daniel in the tomb were absolutely grating though. Hopefully the later eps will have less of that and be better. And her outfit looked...uncomfortable at best.

-Disliked Daniel's beard (and TPTB couldn't have just used his glasses to tell those two apart??). I felt bad for him when he couldn't go to Atlantis. Worse, it was all Vala's fault and she didn't seem the least bit sorry. Their relationship looks more parent/child so far, and I'll be extremely worried if TPTB start making it into a ship.

-It didn't seem like much happened in this ep. Most of it was Cam flashbacks and him getting the team back together, coupled with this Merlin/sword in the stone arc that makes me a bit wary...

-Teal'c didn't do much, but I did appreciate his smirk at Cam after firing the bullets.

-Why on earth did Sam go to R&D instead of lead SG1??

Comment

Overall, I liked the episode. Very entertaining - some great laugh-out-loud moments from Browder, Black and Shanks - and I look forward to watching next week.

Really enjoyed the interactions between the established characters and the new ones. Good cast chemistry. I think they have hit the ground running. One character I expected to take or leave was Landry but I liked the way he was written (especially the scene with Jack) and Bridges did a good job with him.

Comment

Oh my, oh my, oh my. I don't... I wish I could get into the forum last night but alas, too crowded. I wish I was here to say some of things already said but alas, they've already been said! Or something. So I can just... wow. That was... absolutely awesome!

This episode felt like SG-1 meets National Treasure meets Farscape (I know, kill me, I made the reference) but really... it all worked so very well in my opinion. I am uberly, uberly impressed! MORE PLEASE!
                        If you've seen a Jeff O'Connor or a JeffZero or a Jeff Zero or a JeffZeroConnor elsewhere on the net, there's a considerable chance it's me.

Comment

ROTFLMAO i was luaghing so hard when Vala said "i havent been this dissapointed since i had sex with Daniel"

a great charector and that smile she had when she knew she had definatly gotten daniel stuck with her...great episode and awsome start!!!
                          "A general is only as good as the people he commands."

Comment

I don't know, maybe it's just me but I thought it was funny when Vala said she's pregnant, didn't know who the father was and then winked at CM. Reference to Farscape? Sounds like it to me.

Comment

I'm going to join those who absolutely loved it.

First of all, Cameron Mitchell is going to be great. I don't see him as a Jack wanna-be at all. Yes, he made some funny comments, but I don't see why he can't make some wisecracks just because Jack did. His whole demeanor and personality are different from Jack O'Neill. He looked so crestfallen when he found out that Sg-1 was disbanded. Awww.

And yes, Keshou, the "Woah, woah, woah...Bullets bounce!" was undeniably a Crichton/D'Argo moment. (Has a moment of silence for D'Argo. ) I also loved Cameron's interviews with possible candidates for the team. Hee.

I didn't have a problem with Vala's over the top behavior. I guess I just figure that's who she is, or who she presents herself as, anyway. I think Claudia said it herself, in the previews, "She's a survivor." I think she's been through a lot and managed to get through it behaving the way she does and she's not about to stop now. I'm hoping in the next five episodes that we have with her we find out more about why she acts the way she does. In the meantime, she cracks me up.

Didn't mind Daniel's beard all that much, perhaps because I know it's temporary. I loved him and Vala together, absolutely loved them. I know others have said it before, but she reminded me of a pesky kid sister.

Liked Landry, liked the little snippets of Sam.

Oh, and a shoutout to a friend who let me watch this at her house so I wouldn't miss it with my busted tv.

Comment

There were three, yes THREE Farscape jokes. Dunno if I like that... but 2 were subtle, including the one above. The one that wasn't subtle was, I am pretty sure, the actors ad-libbing, not the writers referencing.

Comment

Working...
                                X