No announcement yet.

Avalon, Part 1 (901)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know I'm showing my age here but did anyone else notice that a portion of the flashback with Mitchell (when the ship went down) is almost shot for shot from the opening of The Six Million Dollar Man TV show? I wonder if that was an intentional homage since Browder played Lee Majors on that TV movie?

...I could be wrong but it looked exactly like when Major's ship goes down in the show's opening credits.

Comment

Originally posted by GateTraveler
      I know I'm showing my age here but did anyone else notice that a portion of the flashback with Mitchell (when the ship went down) is almost shot for shot from the opening of The Six Million Dollar Man TV show? I wonder if that was an intentional homage since Browder played Lee Majors on that TV movie?

...I could be wrong but it looked exactly like when Major's ship goes down in the show's opening credits.
      I vaguely remember that show from when I was a kid, so I can't verify that, but I certainly wouldn't put it past TPTB.

a time to mourn

Comment

I'm sad about this episode. Vala was too over-the-top. There was some parts that could've been funny, but it didn't work. I thought BB was still trying to find his character. I hope that he can soon, because it looks like he'll be good. Landry was good, I think I'll like him. And it was nice seeing Sam - I really wasn't expecting to see her.

This reminded me of just how much I'm missing Jack. He seemed so sad - selling everything and moving somewhere - it never really was explained just where he went. I know where he went because I've read the spoilers, but I thought that it would've at least been mentioned what happened to his character in the 1st part. Technically, we don't know where he went or why. I just think that something could've been done to ease this. I feel like Sam from "Point of View" - I miss Jack.
        sigpic

Comment

I liked it and I like Mitchell and Landry. As time goes, I think their characters will develop and I'll like them even more. I admit, I was a sceptic who didn't know how the show was going to be. But, I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised even if this is the first episode of the new season. I may be the only to say this, but I thought Vala was hilarious, I like the character.
          "Out of the way it's a busy day, I've got things on my mind." --Pink Floyd

Comment

i thought the season opener was great, it is alot better than season 8's first episode.

Comment

this was def a funny episode.

i liked it when bean was at the temple and the jaff woman walked by and he is like hey how you doin
              come read my website!!!!!!!!!

www.xanga.com/keppiezbt

Comment

I give this season opener a 6 out of a 10. There were some very strong points, but it was a bit underwhelming for a season opener---a little boring.

I thought Ben Browder did a good job for his first episode, and I was impressed by how they introduced him. I think Mitchell has great potential. He really admires Carter, Daniel, and Teal'c and wants to work with them.

I was very pleasantly surprised to see Sam in this episode. Very good relationship between Sam and Mitchell. Smart move by the writers to see her in the first episode. Carter's return will be a big plus, as others have said.

I already like Teal'c and Mitchell's interaction as well. I like that Teal'c is a little leary of him, yet seems to like him. Christopher Judge did a great job---I wanted to see a bit more of Teal'c last night, but we do know that Teal'c will have more in the story when Lou Gossett Jr.'s character comes on board.

Like many others have stated, I found Vala a bit annoying, but it wasn't terrible. I find the Vala/Daniel interaction okay in small doses, but I couldn't take it for too long. Claudia Black is a wonderful actress---Vala though is good in small doses. Her humor would get old after awhile, but is fine for a few episodes, and perhaps every so often. It was difficult to take Daniel seriously with the comical aspect of the show. I agree with other posters---lay off the comedy a bit. It is taking away from the story.

Finally, the story itself was okay. I found myself wandering off a bit when Daniel was explaining things. Actually, it was a bit cheesy for me, but I think the story could get better in part II.

I kind of liked Beau Bridge's character---he is not Hammond or Jack---it will be interesting to see how his character develops.

Overall, not a bad start---but no wow factor either. But I'm glad I like Mitchell because he is an important element to ensuring the continued success of the show.

Comment

I'm sorry but I don't think what Vala said to Daniel was funny at all. It's just me, but I thought it was very degrading and very distasteful and respectful

Comment

mixed opinion about the show it seems.

it's true its not the same. That has to be expected but I thought it was a decent start to a season in which so much change would occur. I mean they have a lot of ground to cover. I liked BB character. he was funny and i thought this episode was funny in general. "i havent been this dissapointed since i had sex with daniel" "lets make babies." "bb to jaffa woman- how you are?" funny.

i thought the episode plot was alittle weak. I'll cut them a break since they had so much to cover but they better make up for it in pt. 2!!!

As for the flashback scenes, they were great!!!!! Great special effects. go cgi department!

overall, I give this a C rating. BB and Daniel were great, Tealc kinda was just there, and Vala got kinda old quickly.

www.xanga.com/keppiezbt

Comment

Well, I liked it...
                      Daniel was in tip-top, spunky form (including the pillow toss!)... along with Cameron (Ben Browder) and Vala (Claudia Black). Ben settled into his new character part quite nicely (I thought!) ...he certainly did his SG viewing homework (all 7 or 8 SG-1 seasons)! Glad Teal'c decided to tag along, but *what* a cliffhanger!!

Before saying any more, I thought ( Lt. Col. Mitchell's) interview segment reminded me of those
                      "Get in the GATE" stargate commercials when Sam and Sheppard were interviewing. Classic *reactions* in there!

One more item: SG-1's resident scientist guy... reminds me of Zelenka on SGA!

Beyond that: The baton has been passed... New dynamics being developed. Glad to see Lt. Col.Cameron Mitchell's character has a touch of John Crichton (of Farscape) peeking thru! Different (as in not psychotic!), but similar in how they verbalize things. That was always a snarky favorite of mine... Also enjoyed how Daniel's mind got decided upon for sticking around for a while longer. (Poor guy!)

Also, *Love* what Claudia has done to her hair since Farscape (adding the blonde streak)... and yes, I do think there was a subtle hint of connecting her and Ben to Farscape at least 3 different times....

"I'm certain we haven't met before." (liar, liar!)
                      How to do those scenes with totally straight faces...!
                      When Vala announced she was pregnant from one of them guys and winked directly at Cameron (Ben... Farscape!), like he had anything to do with her past!

Oh yeah, and Vala's limited *gene* pool comment, directed at both Cameron and Daniel. Loved the way they both looked at each other, after that!

As for connecting the King Arthur legend into SG, I had a feeling TPTB might do something similar to how they integrated the lost city of the ancients: Atlantis, and how it sank into the sea, etc... my premonitions about this particular story have proven true!

Oh, and Daniel finally mentions about the *Wraith* (now) in his Ancient studies...

Comment

I give this episode a about an 8!

I really love Cameron now. I think he'll be a great addiction to Stargate. I love his lines and he's kinda goofy, yet professional.

I like the General. I dont know why nobody else does. He seems upbeat and not boring like Hammons sometimes was.

I don't like Vala that much. She'd be so funny if they just would keep her mouth clean.

Carter and Cameron seem to be buddy buddy. That's kinda cute. I hope they'll keep their relationship friendly, "buy you breakfast." That was cute.

Poor Teal'c, it seems to me that he would want to come back to the SGC. And was there a part that I missed where he said for sure that he was going to come back?

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc
                          I give this season opener a 6 out of a 10. There were some very strong points, but it was a bit underwhelming for a season opener---a little boring.

I thought Ben Browder did a good job for his first episode, and I was impressed by how they introduced him. I think Mitchell has great potential. He really admires Carter, Daniel, and Teal'c and wants to work with them.

I was very pleasantly surprised to see Sam in this episode. Very good relationship between Sam and Mitchell. Smart move by the writers to see her in the first episode. Carter's return will be a big plus, as others have said.

I already like Teal'c and Mitchell's interaction as well. I like that Teal'c is a little leary of him, yet seems to like him. Christopher Judge did a great job---I wanted to see a bit more of Teal'c last night, but we do know that Teal'c will have more in the story when Lou Gossett Jr.'s character comes on board.

Like many others have stated, I found Vala a bit annoying, but it wasn't terrible. I find the Vala/Daniel interaction okay in small doses, but I couldn't take it for too long. Claudia Black is a wonderful actress---Vala though is good in small doses. Her humor would get old after awhile, but is fine for a few episodes, and perhaps every so often. It was difficult to take Daniel seriously with the comical aspect of the show. I agree with other posters---lay off the comedy a bit. It is taking away from the story.

Finally, the story itself was okay. I found myself wandering off a bit when Daniel was explaining things. Actually, it was a bit cheesy for me, but I think the story could get better in part II.

I kind of liked Beau Bridge's character---he is not Hammond or Jack---it will be interesting to see how his character develops.

Overall, not a bad start---but no wow factor either. But I'm glad I like Mitchell because he is an important element to ensuring the continued success of the show.
                          i just posted, read your review, and thought- exactly how i feel

www.xanga.com/keppiezbt

Comment

For a totally new direction it wasn't too bad

all you have to do is go back to S1 and compare this season to season 1 because in a sense it a total reboot to SG1.
                            (Weather it works only time will tell will it last another 9 seasons who knows)

Comment

I enjoyed it.

I like Mitchell. He is not Jack and didn't try to be. He didn't come barging to take over; he came to learn. He gets extra points from me for the respect he showed for our team.

I think Vala is a hoot, but I can see how see would wear on the nerves after a while. Poor Daniel. I was intriged by her remark to Daniel that he didn't know anything about her. It makes me wonder if we will get to find out what makes her tick.

I am glad that Jack and Sam were in the opener, even briefly.

I like Landry. He is a different kind of general than Hammond or Jack so it will be interesting to see how he interacts with the team.

Daniel and Teal'c were great. I loved that Teal'c was in the infirmary when Daniel woke up. I also like that Teal'c isn't quite sure what to make of Mitchell.

This has a bit of a different feel than the SG-1 that we have watched for 8 years, but I liked it enough to keep tuning in. I think the mix of the old and new characters worked really well.
                              Jace

When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people.

Abraham Joshua Heschel

Comment

Oh where to begin? I can not put my finger on it but something was missing and I dont mean RDA or Sam--it is just the lack of any connection from 8 to 9. I know they say this is like a total new show but hey--it is still Stargate and a bit more time spent on transition than on BB artic heroics might have helped.

I did not expect much but have to say it was worse than my expectations had been prepared for. It is the opener of a new season and Daniel seemed angry and could not wait to leave SG1? The Teal'c and Jaffa politics bit --sound familiar? I really do not like when shows try to send a message about current events.

I wish they would not have played off on Farscape. It is bad enough the Stargate we know is done but I had (maybe still have) hope they could run with the new and create a good show.
                                But Merlin? an ancient? please.................
                                Laundry--he is ok--he can say "I will call the president" as well as any General.
                                BB--maybe he will figure out what he is suppose to be--I hope so.
                                Valla--over the top but there is some light there--I like a little comedic relief.
                                Teal'c--the only constant.

The opener did not live up to the hype and I really think the writers had plenty of time to pull it together. I mean SG1 spent 8 yrs together as a team and yet there did not seem to be the least bit of mourning ( for lack of a better word)--you would not soend that much time together and not SEE some feelings from Sam, Daniel and Teal'c--it was the new guy who was sad the team was disbanded----something wrong there.

I really hope it gets better--I will watch because I wont be able to help myself but watching a show each week with an attitude of "Please dont be to lame", is depressing lol.
                                Oh well--I own all the boxed sets currently out--i can get my SG-1 fix that way if need be.

Merlin??? geez
                                Last edited by kazzyk; 16 July 2005, 05:29 AM. Reason: forgot word

Comment

Working...
                                X