No announcement yet.

Avalon, Part 1 (901)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have to admit that, as Mitchell was entering the chamber, as the shot looked past him back to Teal'c, just by looking at the structure of the entrance I was thinking to myself 'Bet there's a door in there that's going to come down and block 'em in'.

Then it happened and I thought. 'Yup. Thought so.'

I should point out here, though, that the obviousness of this outcome was not (to me) particularly disappointing. However, just for the sake of true cheesiness, I would have liked to have seen the following exchange (just for my own personal enjoyment, I hasten to add):

Mitchell: I guess this is the moment when the hidden door drops down and shuts us in.
    Hidden door drops down and shuts them in.
    Teal'c: Indeed.
    sigpic

Comment

For those who are say RIP SG-1, this is the first of a two parter with Origin being the third.

Anway, good start, Im still trying to work out the timing between deadalus being launched because it seemed to be way over a month since Moebius and given that they run together...the Deadalus should have been launced some time ago, TPTB have never really cleared this up (I got this from when Landry tells Mitchell that Teal'c has been on Dakarra for over a month)

Im that we got the 10 second intro, but who knows what will happen to Avalon Part II into and Atlantis.

Overall, its getting a S.G.C rating of 7 out of 9 Chevrons!
      Last edited by Stricken; 21 October 2005, 04:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vinny
        i know the episode was aired ages ago, but i needed to find this out - What was daniel saying about King Ambrosious and King Arthure being the same, and being really old at a particular battle? And could anyone expand on this theory - im more than a little confuzzled by it
        I would assume from the name that Daniel is probably referring to Ambrosius Aurelianus. We only know about him because of a manuscript written by a chap called Gildas in about 540 AD (though this date is by no means certain). In it, he is formally credited with victory at the Battle of Mount Badon (which is, in Arthurian tradition, Arthur's greatest victory, and also the scene of his 'death'). Scholars are pretty confident that this was a true historical event - even if Arthur himself is still on seriously dodgy historical ground himself.

The connection between Aurelianus and Arthur seems to stem pretty much entirely from this one manuscript reference, though the idea of 'Arthur' being a Post-Roman War Leader (though not necessarily Ambrosius) is a well known and quite respected theory in mainstream academic circles.

The reason why there's a reference to his being 'very old' at the time of Mount Badon possibly springs from academic wrangling over part of the manuscript, which may (or may not!) suggest that Ambrosius was around too early to fight at Badon. Top Arthurian scholars seem to be coming to the conclusion that he could have been around at the right time. If he was indeed a leading general, there's no reason why he shouldn't have been there despite being an old man.

It's only later on (around 300 years later on) that people start associating Badon with someone called 'Arthur' in a written, historical context. Indeed, prior to this, there's pretty much no mention of anyone called 'Arthur' at all.

Given just how little evidence there is to support this theory one way or the other, it's an ideal one to make use of in this context. They can safely take it wherever they want without treading on any historical toes.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by S.G.C
          For those who are say RIP SG-1, this is the first of a two parter with Origin being the third.

Anway, good start, Im still trying to work out the timing between deadalus being launched because it seemed to be way over a month since Moebius and given that they run together...the Deadalus should have been launced some time ago, TPTB have never really cleared this up (I got this from when Landry tells Mitchell that Teal'c has been on Dakarra for over a month)

Im that we got the 10 second intro, but who knows what will happen to Avalon Part II into and Atlantis.

Overall, its getting a S.G.C rating of 7 out of 9 Chevrons!
          I was confused about this too, until I saw Atlantis' episode the Intruder.
          Spoiler:
          According to that ep, after Atlantis had won the Siege, the Daedalus went back to earth with some of the Atlantis personel to let the leaders in Atlantis inform Landry of what was going on and to pick up new personel. I figure that when it went back to Atlantis is the the time that Daniel was talking about leaving.

Does that help?
          Yes, I really do look like (a younger) Daniel. Don't believe me? Look for yourself.

Hey, Mitchell! You want a turn?

Comment

I was actually pleasantly surprised by this episode. I thought I would hate it to be honest. I did find Daniel and Vala fairly irritating, primarily because of Daniel's reactions to Vala. I'm just not convinced that he would act like this and to me its like watching a different character who just looks like Daniel. Teal'c is a saving grace - and of course Walter! But I did grow to accept Cameron by the end of the episode, he's not that bad. Not sure what I think of the new head honcho, but its a bit early to say. All in all, an entertaining story and I shall be watching next week for sure. The titles just made me laugh.

Comment

i didn't like Mitchell at the start but he did grow on me as well, by the time it got to the Jaffa temple bit at Dakara, i did like him, Teal'c is as good as ever, he obviously doesn't like Mitchell. Not quite sure about the Daniel and Vala thing, i found it funny, but also a bit over the top, hopefully they won't have this all through the season.

Comment

I loved it, thought it was hilarius.

The pregnant thing, the interviewing thing. Did yo guys notice that further near the end of the episode Daniel was still protective of her.

But, the funniest thing in the world would have been if Jack had met her then said something funny to Daniel, like "How'd you always get the good-looking ones?".
                Tappity-tap. Tappity-tap.
                LOVE HIM-> DT
                ~Proud Member of the Ship Ship Hooray Special Ops Team~

Comment

After months of waiting I wasn't disappointed at all. Mitchell is no Jack but he had grown on me by the end of the episode. I'm not to sure about Landry though but it's only been one episode so far. The only problem is now we have to wait a week to find out what happens next!
                  "No Buzz I AM your Father" Zurg Toy Story 2

"I'll level with you Bob My names not Kirk it's Skywalker Luke Skywalker" O'Neill 1969

Comment

Another thing about the Daedalus, when Daniel was looking at the list of the Ancients that left Atlantis he said

"this is a portion of the database the Atlantis expedition brought back with them a few weeks ago."

BROUGHT BACK WITH THEM, not sent through to us so it makes sense that its related to
                    Spoiler:
                    Intruder and the Atlantis team's return there so Avalon is set after Intruder

I loved the way Vala winked at Mitchell with the pregnancy thing...nice nod to Farscape there

Comment

Originally posted by Serebii
                      Another thing about the Daedalus, when Daniel was looking at the list of the Ancients that left Atlantis he said

"this is a portion of the database the Atlantis expedition brought back with them a few weeks ago."

BROUGHT BACK WITH THEM, not sent through to us so it makes sense that its related to
                      Spoiler:
                      Intruder and the Atlantis team's return there so Avalon is set after Intruder
                      Didn't I already say that?
                      Yes, I really do look like (a younger) Daniel. Don't believe me? Look for yourself.

Hey, Mitchell! You want a turn?

Comment

Not in so many words no

You were talkin about Intruder happenin...Im just confirming it with a line from Avalon

Comment

well all in all that that impressed dont get me wrong had some good bits was funny i loved daniel in it vala and mitchell well a little annoying but maybe they mellow with time!
                          im hopefull for the future...........kinda

Comment

I still think they should get daniel some new glasses, danny go to Specsavers for godsake get some like that and get a shave also

Cant wait for Siege part 3
                            "I ask you, what could possibly be in my eye that would explain this"

HALLOWED ARE THE SHIPPERS!

sigpic

PROUD TO BE ENGLISH

Comment

When usually who have a continuation from the previous season (part 2 or three of a story)...with Season 9, you don't.

In a manner of fashion, it starts a fresh new looking Stargate SG-1 and I thought as a season opener, it was good and gave us the beginning of where the powers that be are taking the show now. People saying its not the same anymore...that's the point! New characters are always good to see and keep the show from going stale.

Cameron Mitchell (Hopfully, no relation to Phil or Grant) has a historical significance to the show and the flashbacks worked well...so at least eveyone knows him mostly in SG command. General Landry seems to be completely different from Hammond and O'Neill, which is always welcomed (no cloning characters allowed!)

I don't know what to think of Vala...over time that might change. Well, the tight fitting suit did it for me

Overall, the season looks promising and hopefully it will show that Stargate SG-1 can still send newer sci-fi shows packing.

Can't wait for Atlantis next week!

And please, please, please bring back the opening credits!

That's my two cents.

Regards,
                              General of the British SGC

Comment

Originally posted by British_SGC
                                And please, please, please bring back the opening credits!
                                I second that! Bring 'em back as soon as, please.

This Tuesday would be good...
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X