Avalon, Part 1 (901)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Acropolis
    vala beats out carters humor anyday love her the new team is just hilarious they are just missing RDA's humor
    Perhaps true, but seeing as Stargate is a SCIFI show and not a comedy, I think I would prefer to keep Carter around.

It was nice that they managed to deal with the loss of RDA's humorous one-liners and I think CB did a good job overall. But personally I wouldn't want to see an entire season of episodes like this. A few episodes is fine, but after awhile it would really begin to get on my nerves.

Comment

Originally posted by CKO
      i think i may have thunked too hard already.... *snicker* didnt take that long, course i just have to get used to the fact, not seein' ben in all those leathers... oh gods... if he would be... hot as hell to watch...

loved the banter between him (mitchell) and vala... good chem. as only ben and claud can do. (silly scaper me... )

c'mon.. i want pt2 already.

I couldn't agree with you more!!! I love Ben Browder, loved the banter, the chemistry as only they have.

Miss Sam and Jack but I can live with Mitchell and Vala.
      I still miss Jack and Sam

Comment

Originally posted by Ancient 1
        I thought the episode was okay; average considering what it had to accomplish, but does everything out of Vala's mouth have to be a smartass remark?
        Yes. As other people have figured out, it's a deliberate character ploy on her part. It keeps other people off balance, and even when people figure it out as a ploy, it's deliberately annoying enough that it makes her true purposes hard to figure out.

Comment

Originally posted by ApophisLives
          This episode had a lot of really funny moments.

Mitchell: I was hoping you could tell me something about yourself. Something...personal.
          Interviewee: ...people call me Dave.
          Mitchell: [Looks at folder] ...says here that's your name.
          Interviewee: .......yes.

Vala: I haven't been this disappointed since Daniel and I had sex.
          Teal'c: [Looks at Daniel]

Teal'c: [Fires at door]
          Mitchell: Woah! Woah! Woah...man! Bullets bounce!
          Teal'c: [Grins in amusement]

Vala: Okay, how about this: we open both of them, and whichever one the treasure's in is the right one.

Vala: How much worse can it get?
          [Ceiling starts to rumble downwards]
          Daniel: How about that much?
          Vala: I knew it was a mistake the moment I said it. ...the moment.

Daniel: Well, there are a number of conflicting interpretations, but certain threads point to the Knights of the Round Table. Gathering great treasures from the far corners of Arthur's domain and hiding them in a magical stronghold at Avalon.
          Mitchell: Including the Holy Grail.
          Daniel: According to some.
          Vala: So this Grail...what's that worth?
          [Everyone looks at her]
          Vala: ...what?

Vala: ...now I could have come by ship and looked for it myself, but I know nothing about your fair planet...other than it seems to have a rather interesting but somewhat limited gene pool.
          [Daniel and Mitchell look up at Vala, then at each other, sort of recoil, then look back at Vala.]

I also liked this one...

Vala: Go ahead muscles.
          Teal'c looks at her with inquiring mind.
          Vala: I'll give you half.

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
            Perhaps true, but seeing as Stargate is a SCIFI show and not a comedy, I think I would prefer to keep Carter around.

It was nice that they managed to deal with the loss of RDA's humorous one-liners and I think CB did a good job overall. But personally I wouldn't want to see an entire season of episodes like this. A few episodes is fine, but after awhile it would really begin to get on my nerves.
            Just what I was thinking, ForeverSg1! A few eps like this are fine, but the whole season would be out of character for SG-1. I too am looking forward to Sam's full-time return!

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
              this is what i've dug up so far:

10. What are the guidelines for which the medal could be awarded?
              10A. On July 25,1963 Congress established a set of guidelines under which the Medal of Honor could be awarded:
              a.) while engaged in an action against an enemy of the United States;
              b.) while engaged in military operations involving conflict with an opposing foreign force; or,
              c.) while serving with friendly forces engaged in armed conflict against an opposing armed force in which the United States is not a belligerent party.

11. What was the last action in which the Medal of Honor was awarded?
              11A. The last action in which the Medal of Honor was awarded occurred at the Baghdad Airport, Iraq. Sgt. 1st Class Paul R. Smith was posthumously awarded for his actions on April 4, 2003.

3. How many Air Force Congressional Medal of Honor recipients are there?
              3A. Since the formation of a separate Air Force in 1947 there have been seventeen recipients. Prior to 1963 members of the Army Air Corps and the Air Force were awarded the Army Medal. In 1963 the Air Force acquired its own MOH design.

http://www.cmohs.org/medal.htm

http://www.medalofhonor.com/MedalOfHonorBreakdown.htm

http://www.medalofhonor.com/Regulations.htm

http://www.medalofhonor.com/RecommendationProcess.htm

The following organizations and individuals play key roles in the Army Medal of Honor recommendation process:
              • CHAIN OF COMMAND
              Submits award recommendation that meets the two year submission time limit to Department of the Army Personnel Command
              • MEMBER OF CONGRESS
              Submits award recommendation that is outside the two year limit for submission to Department of the Army Personnel Command or the Secretary of the Army who forwards request to Personnel Command.
              • DEPARTMENT OF THE ARMY PERSONNEL COMMAND
              Army Decoration Board - Merit Review, can disprove based on criteria (Cdr, HRC can overrule)
              Senior Army Decorations Board - Recommends approval, disapproval, or downgrade.
              • MANPOWER AND RESERVE AFFAIRS
              Concurs or nonconcurs with Board recommendation
              • CHIEF OF STAFF OF THE ARMY
              • SECRETARY OF THE ARMY
              Recommends approval or can disapprove. Also forwards packet to Chairman, Joint Chiefs of Staff for comment.
              • SECRETARY OF DEFENSE
              Recommends approval or can disapprove.
              • PRESIDENT
              Approves or disapproves.

so in one way, sure cam could qualify. course they also said that approval takes around 18 months....which doesn't work in the timeline of the show. also the simple fact that they haven't handed one out since 2003 (there might have been a recent one, i seem to recall a snippit on the news)

they don't just hand them out to folks. also, and i'm not saying this to diss cam, if cam gets one for shooting down two alkash, well then so should many other folks that were in his wing, not to mention jack for sticking his head in the head sucker.

I'm glad he got a medal and all, i just think they might have chosen the wrong one. IMHO the Air Medal would have been far more plausible
              Thanks very much for posting this info, Skydiver.

Comment

3A. Since the formation of a separate Air Force in 1947 there have been seventeen recipients. Prior to 1963 members of the Army Air Corps and the Air Force were awarded the Army Medal. In 1963 the Air Force acquired its own MOH design.
                I know one of the recipents from the Air Force personally. He was stationed at the local Air Force Base when he recieved it (he went to the same church I did and I babysitted for his family while in high school).

Now back on subject:

It seemed like Teal'c sort of keeps Mitchell at bay for now. He seemed to me to be slowly accepting him. I think that will change in a furture episode.

Comment

Originally posted by Token
                  Beau Bridges was delightful! For me, Beau being part of Stargate was a promising point for Season 9, and I'm glad I wasn't disappointed.
                  Yes, Bridges managed quite well to hold his own; even the tiem he spent on the screen with RDA. Of course O'neill had to win the chess game, but it was taken in stride by the new General. That might have been the best writing in the entire episode. All the Daniel/Vala dialog sounded so "canned." Nothing but sound bites...
                  Last edited by Ancient 1; 16 July 2005, 10:49 PM. Reason: dang typos!

"We'll keep the light on for you."

Comment

this is what i've dug up so far:

10. What are the guidelines for which the medal could be awarded?
                    10A. On July 25,1963 Congress established a set of guidelines under which the Medal of Honor could be awarded:
                    a.) while engaged in an action against an enemy of the United States;
                    b.) while engaged in military operations involving conflict with an opposing foreign force; or,
                    c.) while serving with friendly forces engaged in armed conflict against an opposing armed force in which the United States is not a belligerent party.

11. What was the last action in which the Medal of Honor was awarded?
                    11A. The last action in which the Medal of Honor was awarded occurred at the Baghdad Airport, Iraq. Sgt. 1st Class Paul R. Smith was posthumously awarded for his actions on April 4, 2003.

http://www.cmohs.org/medal.htm

http://www.medalofhonor.com/MedalOfHonorBreakdown.htm

http://www.medalofhonor.com/Regulations.htm

http://www.medalofhonor.com/RecommendationProcess.htm

The following organizations and individuals play key roles in the Army Medal of Honor recommendation process:
                    • CHAIN OF COMMAND
                    Submits award recommendation that meets the two year submission time limit to Department of the Army Personnel Command
                    • MEMBER OF CONGRESS
                    Submits award recommendation that is outside the two year limit for submission to Department of the Army Personnel Command or the Secretary of the Army who forwards request to Personnel Command.
                    • DEPARTMENT OF THE ARMY PERSONNEL COMMAND
                    Army Decoration Board - Merit Review, can disprove based on criteria (Cdr, HRC can overrule)
                    Senior Army Decorations Board - Recommends approval, disapproval, or downgrade.
                    • MANPOWER AND RESERVE AFFAIRS
                    • CHIEF OF STAFF OF THE ARMY
                    • SECRETARY OF THE ARMY
                    Recommends approval or can disapprove. Also forwards packet to Chairman, Joint Chiefs of Staff for comment.
                    • SECRETARY OF DEFENSE
                    Recommends approval or can disapprove.
                    • PRESIDENT
                    Approves or disapproves.

so in one way, sure cam could qualify. course they also said that approval takes around 18 months....which doesn't work in the timeline of the show. also the simple fact that they haven't handed one out since 2003 (there might have been a recent one, i seem to recall a snippit on the news)

they don't just hand them out to folks. also, and i'm not saying this to diss cam, if cam gets one for shooting down two alkash, well then so should many other folks that were in his wing, not to mention jack for sticking his head in the head sucker.

I'm glad he got a medal and all, i just think they might have chosen the wrong one. IMHO the Air Medal would have been far more plausible
                    Yep I defiantely agree there.
                    Also take a look at all the people the MoH submission needs to go thru (read Members of Congress). Don't you think they would get a little suspicious that this guy is getting a MoH for action in Antartica??? What kind of cover story could they use? It doesn't add up to me. But oh well.

Comment

Good episode and a promising start to the new season. I liked Beau as the new base commander and I´m sure he will prove a good replacement for Jack.

Having Ben Browder in the show was also great but then I´m a huge Farscape fan

Comment

I just saw Avalon, and I loved it !!!! I wasn't expecting too much from the episode, but... wow !

Cameron Mitchell is a very promising character, I loved the way he tried to reunite the team, and he and Daniel have a great chemistry.
                        He definitly reminded me of O'neill. Same gesture, same lame jokes... I hope the writers won't make Cameron a "Jack clone", he needs to have his own personnality, different from Jack.
                        Loved Landry too, he seems to be a good person, and a good leader.
                        Vala was making me laughing out loud every time she spoke ("let's make babies !" and the "limited gene-pool" line)... the only thing I don't like about her is her outfit... iurk... Stargate doesn't need to be sexed-up like that

It was very good to see our dear Sam as I was expecting not to see her at all I can't wait to see her and Cam working together.
                        In fact, I'm looking forward to seeing the first episode where all the team will be reunited and working together

Comment

Thank you everyone who responsed with what they thought was the funniest line, i agree this episode was very funny, i cant wait for the next episode to find another funny line

Comment

Seeing Sam there and talking to Mitchell. I was just wondering if they were friend at the Academy together. By the way they sounded talking to each, they have been friends a long time.

Comment

After seening this ep I have lost all doubt, Mitchell feckin rocks!!! I though I wasnt going to be able to bare gs1 with a new charachter but he is great, fits in perfectly imo, job well done

Comment

On the topic of "why is Mitchell getting the Congressional medal...thing" (there are way too many posts to quote them all), perhaps Carter and the others were simply there to inform him that the Prez is going to give him the medal once he's feeling better.

As for the episode...fan-friggin'-tastic! Daniel and Teal'c were as entertaining as ever. Mitchell is the perfect blend of child-like enthusiasm and stoic militarism. Vala was a hoot. Landry reminded me of Hammond in the first few episodes of Season 1 - in a good way - in that he is both the stern military leader and the boss who looks out for his people. Seeing O'Neill was good, althouth too brief and without enough explanation to his departure from the SGC. Seeing Carter outside of flashback was good, mainly 'cause I didn't expect it. Seeing Walter was good, 'cause...he's Walter. The whole 'Merlin as an Ancient' was done better than I expected (It's good to see them referencing stuff from SGA), and for me, who's ben glancing at the spoilers, the team finding Avalon in the most obvious place - where a tablet in Latin says "Avalon is here" - was a nice little twist. All in all, a brilliant episode - and still with parts two and three on the way! (Yipee!)

Comment

Working...
                                X