No announcement yet.

Moebius, Part 2 (820)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moebius made me think of Douglas Adams -- "So long, and thanks for all the fish." Except, in this case, "thanks to that fish" seems more apropos.

Ironically, "that fish" could be one of the highlights of this episode, if the grapevine is to be believed. (To put this all in context for those of us -- myself included -- who do not frequent JM's Q&A threads, supposedly the explanation is simply that Jack was unaware of the existence of the said fish.) Jack had been talking about some elusive fish for years, and finally he saw it. This could be a metaphor for many things, considering what had transpired in Reckoning and Threads. My interpretation would be dreams coming true for all of them, and I kind of like that notion.

And I liked the finale revisiting where the legend had begun all those years ago. The familiar locale, scene, music, and even the familiar foe, all evoked a feeling of coming full circle. Some elements of the time-travel plot device were quite clever and in keeping with the show. For instance, to send message through time by burying a tablet has to be uniquely Stargate SG-1.

But here comes the nit-picking. After viewing both episodes, their premise still feels contrived: the original mission was ill advised to begin with, and it subsequently failed entirely due to bad planning. As much as the gun-touting locals reminding me of the original movie, I had to wonder if their rescue of Jack and Sam had inadvertently disrupted the uprising plan, which supposedly had not been ready.

Of course, none of these bothered me as much as the fish in Jack's pond. Its very existence means, to me, that "our" time line has been irrevocably changed and that, sadly, "our" SG-1 no longer exists. "The fish has always in the pond, but Jack just didn't know it" might have been a plausible explanation -- one for which I would be willing to suspend my disbelief -- if there had been anything in this episode (or any episode, for that matter) to even hint at this possibility. However, as far as I can see, there is none. So, if TPTB had to tell me this on a message board, they had failed me as story-tellers in a visual medium.

I wish TPTB did a better job, though, because I would have loved the metaphor.
    In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane. ~ Oscar Wilde

Comment

I disliked this episode for many reasons - TPTB not bothering to really think through the implications of all the time travel stuff, OTT AltSam (I think AT just can't do subtle), the rushed ending without any real look at the rebelion or the lives of the first SG1 stuck in Ancient Egypt for 5 years. Mainly though, i was really disappointed because of Jack.

This was the last episode with our team, the last episode with Jack. I wanted to see the Jack I fell in love with. I wanted to have Jack the HERO, courageous, smart, compassionate. Instead, as far as I'm concerned, we got Jack the jerk. Jack who's only real value was his genetic make-up. A Jack who, while in the middle of a dangerous mission, hit on Sam when she was working on something important. A Jack who hid at the back of the ship making out with Sam and had to be rescued by Daniel, Teal'c and a hoard of the locals. That's not how I want to remember him. My feeling at the end of the episode was that I'm just not to bothered that he's not going to be back next season. In part that's down to the Jack we've had for a lot of this season -bored, dumb, flippant- but it's also down to the Jack we saw in Moebius, both parts. I did my grieving for the Jack I love a while ago and although we've had glimpses this season it's just not enough.

Although I really tried not to, I also had problems with the ship in this episode. Normally it just makes Sam look bad but this time Jack got dragged down too. Also, it really did show just how divisive it is. In the last three scenes we had Jack and Sam inside the ship with Daniel and Teal'c on the outside. Then we got Jack and Sam having a moment while Daniel and Teal'c faded into the background. Then we got, as the final shot, Jack and Sam together in the foreground with Daniel and Teal'c once again relegated to the background (although I admit it wasn't as bad as Threads because Daniel did actually approach them with beer at the end).

I also had problems with Jack's inplication on the ship that Daniel was Gay. When you take into account the scenes in the prison with Jack a) pushing him away when Daniel's groping him because he's without his glasses and then again the peeling his fingers off his shoulder and the look of distaste on his face as Daniel uses him for support after being smacked down by Teal'c, it just makes me feel uncomfortable. I know all the scenes where played for laughs but I'm afraid I found them just as funny as Col Reynolds hesitating about giving Gen Hammond CPR. Maybe I just need a better sense of humour ;o)

While it was funny in parts, mainly it just left me with a bad taste in my mouth and glad that there is going to be a lot of character changes in S9. If S9 was going forward with all the same people we saw in this ep, I wouldn't be watching.

Comment

Originally posted by yabyumpan
        I disliked this episode for many reasons - TPTB not bothering to really think through the implications of all the time travel stuff, OTT AltSam (I think AT just can't do subtle), the rushed ending without any real look at the rebelion or the lives of the first SG1 stuck in Ancient Egypt for 5 years. Mainly though, i was really disappointed because of Jack.

This was the last episode with our team, the last episode with Jack. I wanted to see the Jack I fell in love with. I wanted to have Jack the HERO, courageous, smart, compassionate. Instead, as far as I'm concerned, we got Jack the jerk. Jack who's only real value was his genetic make-up. A Jack who, while in the middle of a dangerous mission, hit on Sam when she was working on something important. A Jack who hid at the back of the ship making out with Sam and had to be rescued by Daniel, Teal'c and a hoard of the locals. That's not how I want to remember him. My feeling at the end of the episode was that I'm just not to bothered that he's not going to be back next season. In part that's down to the Jack we've had for a lot of this season -bored, dumb, flippant- but it's also down to the Jack we saw in Moebius, both parts. I did my grieving for the Jack I love a while ago and although we've had glimpses this season it's just not enough.

Although I really tried not to, I also had problems with the ship in this episode. Normally it just makes Sam look bad but this time Jack got dragged down too. Also, it really did show just how divisive it is. In the last three scenes we had Jack and Sam inside the ship with Daniel and Teal'c on the outside. Then we got Jack and Sam having a moment while Daniel and Teal'c faded into the background. Then we got, as the final shot, Jack and Sam together in the foreground with Daniel and Teal'c once again relegated to the background (although I admit it wasn't as bad as Threads because Daniel did actually approach them with beer at the end).

I also had problems with Jack's inplication on the ship that Daniel was Gay. When you take into account the scenes in the prison with Jack a) pushing him away when Daniel's groping him because he's without his glasses and then again the peeling his fingers off his shoulder and the look of distaste on his face as Daniel uses him for support after being smacked down by Teal'c, it just makes me feel uncomfortable. I know all the scenes where played for laughs but I'm afraid I found them just as funny as Col Reynolds hesitating about giving Gen Hammond CPR. Maybe I just need a better sense of humour ;o)

While it was funny in parts, mainly it just left me with a bad taste in my mouth and glad that there is going to be a lot of character changes in S9. If S9 was going forward with all the same people we saw in this ep, I wouldn't be watching.
        Dont worry hes coming back for the premiere in Season 9. It wont be your last imression of him. I also hope we get to see the good side of RDA in the premiere.

A really funny ep and i can see why Moebius needed to go after Reckoning and Threads. It still seemed to me though that those would of made a better finale. This just seemed to me a good comic episode.

Comment

Originally posted by LoneStar1836
          WTF was that. This was supposed to be the ending to the whole SG-1 saga? I can’t think of anything intelligent to say about this episode especially or Moebius as a whole cause there was nothing intelligent about it, in my humble opinion. It was hurriedly (as opposed to another word I’d rather use) tossed together and served up as a so-called Stargate episode.
          Actually if you think about it, it would've made a kind of cool series finale to SG-1 (and it is in a way a finale with RDA leaving). Basically the two-parter showed that SG-1 was responsible for the revolt in ancient Egypt (who said they weren't the ones originally responsible for the revolt described in the movie ) and as such if it wasn't for SG-1 there wouldn't be a Stargate program.

It's the Twelve Monkeys ending, sorta.

Comment

Originally posted by Kes
            The best part of the episode tonight was seeing BB in his dress blues.
            Isn't that the truth? <Sigh> How I love BB.

As far as the episode? Eh. I skipped the shippy bit at the end so I didn't have to watch AU Sam and Jack making out in the middle of a firefight. So don't care and so don't want to see that particular image. It just isn't something I'm interested in. I'm sure the shippers loved it though.

I liked the Daniel from the past and the alternate Teal'c. Both no-nonsense about what had to be done. I felt sorry for Alt Daniel. I liked Alt Sam until the "You're hot." scene with Jack which is when I bailed. I didn't like Alt Jack at all. I prefer our Jack.

So if I just think about the part of the episode I watched--the first forty-five minutes or so--it wasn't bad. Not the best season-ender by a long shot in my view, but not bad. MHO, of course.

I am extraordinarily excited about Season 9 though.
            Last edited by Jonisa; 27 March 2005, 01:07 AM.

Comment

I thought this was an awesome episode! The last 7 episodes from Reckoning Part 1 to Moebius Part 2 have really tied up a lot of the story arcs. I actually might be one of the few that thinks Moebius was a pretty good season finale and would've been a good series finale as well. The reason I think is because I feel it was very important to find a way to get to Atlantis and I think the writers kept it real by having them screw up the first time they went back in time for the ZPM. Sure, the episode was mostly with the alternate time line team, but IMO that was a really fun episode to watch and we haven't had one like that in a long time.
              "Out of the way it's a busy day, I've got things on my mind." --Pink Floyd

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                according to joe, the sg1 that we saw at the end was our sg1. there may have been some changes in the world in general, but they were our sg1

and on a humorous note...check out the mysterious egyptian pine forest in the back ground

http://www.jackfic.com/multimedia/sc...iusPt2_234.htm
                lol i didn't notice that!
                ...although i do remember seeing random trees when i was in egypt...
                sigpic
                http://annorasponderings.tumblr.com/
                http://circumvented.tumblr.com/

Comment

One of my favorite parts of this episode was Apophis with facial hair. I have missed that darn old goa'uld...it was fun having him back...and looking good too!
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Nolamom
                    Originally Posted by Skydiver
                    according to joe, the sg1 that we saw at the end was our sg1. there may have been some changes in the world in general, but they were our sg1

and on a humorous note...check out the mysterious egyptian pine forest in the back ground

http://www.jackfic.com/multimedia/s...biusPt2_234.htm
                    Yeah I know....when I was looking at the pictures for the episode on gateworld and I saw grass, I turned to my dad and said "Would there be grass in the middle of Egypt" I was confused and then when I saw the trees I was really confused.
                    It makes no difference what you do to me. But know this, the Ori are all-seeing.
                    [long pause] They are already aware of this affront to their eminence, and shall strike down those who dare to defy them.
                    Nothing yet. You?
                    Drawing a blank. A little thirsty.
                    That doesn't count
                    No, it doesn't.

Comment

I rather enjoyed this episode. Even though, I too would have liked a little more action. But still, It was a good episode. The time travel thing still boggles my mind. Not what happened..but why. I still cannot believe that they actually decided to go back in time, just seems awfully risky to me. (well, as they found out). But good episode.

I loved to see McKay, his little gate-naming bit was too funny. Daniel died AGAIN. That just made me laugh out loud and got some strange looks from my sister.

Though not the best season finale, it was still wonderful, and I can't wait until the season 8 DVDs come out so I can watch it again along with the audio commentary.
                      Daniel:Nyet
                      Jack: Daniel?
                      Daniel: He just asked me if we were Soviet Spies. I just...
                      Jack: Nyet???

Comment

I think those "Pines" were Jaffa. i could be wrong, but how would there be PINES in a desert?

Before you judge a person, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, not only will you be a mile away, you'll have their shoes.

Comment

While I liked part 1 of Mobius, I was disappointed in part 2.

There were too many "what were they thinking moments?" Too much parody and no emotional payoff.

I decided that I like the Alt Team in small doses, not for 1 1/2 episodes--except Alt Teal'c--he was cool.

Alt Jack hitting on Alt Sam on a mission? She is still a civilian under his command. Where exactly was the payoff in their groping each other--they just met; there were no feelings attached. They came across as hormonal idiots.

Daniel and Alt Teal'c are saving the timeline and Alt Jack and Sam are doing it in the jumper?

It would have been nice to see some reaction from Alt Sam at losing ALt Daniel as they seemed to have bonded. Jack seemed to care less about Kawalsky after they had made such a big deal about Jack only coming on the mission because of him.

The worst was that our Daniel had no reaction when his friends whom he probably saw executed showed up and he just acted annoyed. OK, there weren't exactly his friends but a little reaction would have been nice.

Wasn't much of a goodbye to RDA--I didn't like his character through most of the episode.

Oh well, season 8 is history and the season 9 promo looked very interesting.

Jace
                          Jace

When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people.

Abraham Joshua Heschel

Comment

By far the best part of this episode was the kissing at the end! For some reason it had humor! It was definitely funny to watch and a hooray moment! Especially when they dropped out of frame! haha

Comment

The reason for the lack of goodbye time for Jack is that he is slated to be in the three part season opener for Season 9.

Also, I liked how the whole Shipper thing was resolved. Very well done. I'm not a Shipper or Anti-Shipper but even I liked that resolution.

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
                              [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

Originally posted by ManaByte
                                Actually if you think about it, it would've made a kind of cool series finale to SG-1 (and it is in a way a finale with RDA leaving). Basically the two-parter showed that SG-1 was responsible for the revolt in ancient Egypt (who said they weren't the ones originally responsible for the revolt described in the movie ) and as such if it wasn't for SG-1 there wouldn't be a Stargate program.

It's the Twelve Monkeys ending, sorta.
                                Actually it's been said that SG-1 aren't the ones who are responsible for the revolt, and that because they went back in time, it failed: well at least the fist try did, and on the second try Ra took the gate, so its not much of a win. So because they went back and had a hand in the revolt, things did not happen as they where supposed too and we got an alternate timeline.

And another reason why it's not SG-1 who caused the original revolt. If they did go back in time, it was to get a ZPM, and if they had already gotten it and buried it, we would have found the tape. Even if they didn't get the ZPM, they would have proably left a tape somewhere to see if they screwed up the timeline, like our SG-1 did.

And about the fish (someone was saying something about it) the reason the fish just appeared now is Jack is a losy fisherman. He just never caught any before so assumed there was none (This had been said by Joe Mallozzi himself at the 'Ask JMallozzi Thread' at General Discussion)..Jack fished in his pond before and so if he's startled by the fish this time, then all the other times he must have thought there where no fish.

And, another point, I think that it's the same scene from Threads, just with the fish, is to show that it puts us back before Moebius, because since the timeline is fixed, our team doesn't have to go back. It also somewhat shows that the timelines are the same and that the reps or gone and eveything that happened before Threads, because if things where different, then those major things might not have happened.
                                Signature oversized: Click to view.

Comment

Working...
                                X