Moebius, Part 2 (820)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zoser
    This episode seems to be the Grandfather Paradox meets the Heisenberg Principle.
    If they go back in time and change something, they must forever go back in time to effect that change. If they die in the past they will not exist in that same future to benefit from the said change. They are creating an alternate universe not changing their universe. Therefore these people are not our SG-1. And I for one only care about our SG-1. I morn their passing.
    You realize nobody actually knows how time travel actually works or if it is even possible and that this is a tv show with a big ring that can send you anywhere in the universe(where there is another gate) in a matter of moments.

Comment

I beg to differ.

Comment

Originally posted by Dana_Jeanne
        As far as I'm concerned as soon as the altSG-1 went back to Egypt and fixed whatever, then the time-line went back to the way it was supposed to be with our orginal team fishing at the pond.

Dana Jeanne
        that is what i want to believe deej! i could not handle that being a diff sg1!

thanks for the reassurance

sue
        Sue

sigpic

Our Stargate Forum ~Michael Shanks List ~Michael Shanks Online

Comment

Well, here I am, a week late. Maybe doing this for every episode this season was a goal a little too ambitious for someone as lazy as me, I don't know... Luckily, I won't have to worry about that anymore after this one.

PIGGY'S USELESS OPINION
          of 'Moebius Part 2'

It's kind of interesting to remember how many times I've seen some fan online put forth the "original" idea that SG-1 should go back in time and cause the rebellion against Ra. And how many times I've read other fans saying how stupid that idea was, that it wouldn't make sense and that it would be "too much" to have SG-1 involved in every major event in Stargate history. Fortunately, while 'Moebius' does touch on the idea, it doesn't really happen that way (although I'm sure that won't keep people from complaining).

The way it is told, the rebellion was supposed to happen as described in the writings found on Abydos, due in no way to any help from SG-1. In fact, SG-1 showing up and trying to take part in the uprising is what screws up the timeline in the first place! So in the end, while SG-1 do instigate a rebellion against Ra, they do so in place of the rebellion that would have already happened had they not interfered at all. And that's just fine with me, especially since we get such a fun time twisting adventure out of the whole thing.

Random Observations!
          - "Gateship 1"... Heh heh heh. This would seem to indicate that McKay is the original inventor of that particular name. While he never took credit for it, he was involved with it in both timelines.
          - I guess if SG-1 had not gone to Chulak eight years ago and met Teal'c, Apophis would have grown facial hair by now.
          - At first I wondered why Bra'tac was nowhere to be seen, but it makes sense: Without Tretonin, he would have been dead by now. He was too old to receive a new symbiote years ago.
          - I always wondered how in 'Children of the Gods', Kawalsky didn't know Jack had a son, while in 'The Enemy Within', he and Jack were old buddies and 'The Gamekeeper' shows that they knew each other all the way back in the early eighties. Well, if the alternate timeline is any indication, this makes sense - they'd served together before the Stargate program came about but it was "a long time ago". Guess they just fell out of touch in the meantime.
          - The "Jack!"/"That's 'sir' to you!" exchange is the exact opposite of Jack's "I'm retired, Kawalsky/Carter, loose the salute/'sir'!" line.
          - Alternate Jack goes, "Aw, sh---" instead of "Aw, crap!".
          - Alternate Jack and alternate Sam get it on! Wow, TPTB really go all out to please the shippers this season don't they? You know, if original Jack and Sam had been as straight-forward a lot of fans would have been spared a lot of headache. The scene where alternate Sam claims to be attracted to Daniel, by the way, is hilareous. And alternate Jack thinks Daniel is "...nevermind". Heh heh heh...
          - Once again, canon proof is provided that the series is taking place in close-to-real-time. Alternate SG-1 go back in time 5000 years and wind up in the year 2995 B.C.. Incidentally, it makes sense that they'd arrive five years after original SG-1. Original Jack decided on travelling back to the year 3000 B.C. rather than "5000 years ago".
          - Jack's line in the script seen in the latest Lowdown which read "Me no speak Jaffa!", and that we see RDA deliver as "No habla Jaffa!" is reduced in the final product to a simple "What?".
          - The final scene in ancient Egypt is very very similar to a scene in the original Stargate movie... Maybe this episode should have been the one to be named "Full Circle".
          - Earth now has a ZPM! About dang time we got one of those.

The 'Moebius' two-parter could have functioned very well as the final episode of SG-1, and maybe it should have been. I know it ends the way I always hoped the series would end... All known threats to Earth are eliminated, and as of this episode SG-1 have acquired technology that should be able to protect Earth from any potential future attacks, thus having accomplished the goal for which the SGC was created to reach eight years ago. And yet, the status quo remains unaffected. SG-1 and Stargate Command remain intact, nothing has really changed. Well... nothing except for Jack's pond.

Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

I just thought I'd throw in my two cents and say that although the plot was somewhat interesting I didn't particularly love Moebius.

I think that it should have aired before Reckoning. That way they could have ended the season with Threads, which I thought was just an awesome episode.

Perhaps it's my dislike of time traveling plotlines, but thats my opinion.

Comment

I have expressed in other threads, but I despise, truly DESPISE this episode. Im gonna have to pretend it never existed or I don't think I'll ever watch the next season.
              ...he wasn't completely crazy anymore, just productively wierd

GAT4 - Gaters Against T4 + Vernon Kay

Thanks for the random Reputation Points, I didn't even realise I had any.

I despise anything Moebius, and anything Time Travel!

Comment

I think Moebius as an episode wasn't that bad. BUT Moebius as a season finale was shockingly poor, especially after such a good build up in Reckoning and Threads.
                The death of one man is a tragedy, the death of millions is a statistic - Stalin
                The viewpoint of one person is not the viewpoint of all - ShadowMaat
                Dulce et Decorum est pro patria mori - Horace
                All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke
                Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools talk because they have to say something - Plato
                An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind - Gandhi
                Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake - Napoleon

Comment

I highly agree. After threads, I was expecting another wowzer episode.

It stinks that the last time we see RDA is in this, not some deep thought provoking episode.

Comment

i thought it was ok but it was a bit ****e to be a series finale
                    Griffin: You aren't Spanish, are you?
                    McKay: Oh yes! Of the Barcelona McKays!

Steam Asgard Commander of the Teal'c

http://www.youtube.com/partcontinuum

Comment

It seems nobody has commented on the last line also being a reference from "The Simpsons", from the same episode as Sam's in the first part, in fact.

Comment

What lines where they? I really don't remember, lol.
                        ...he wasn't completely crazy anymore, just productively wierd

GAT4 - Gaters Against T4 + Vernon Kay

Thanks for the random Reputation Points, I didn't even realise I had any.

I despise anything Moebius, and anything Time Travel!

Comment

I haven't seen the episode as it hasn't been on here yet so which SG1 team is twisting my brain a bit, but I hope that it is the original SG1. We have been through it all with THEM not options 2 or 3. When I read where Jack tells Sam that she has packing to do and having just seen Threads, my first thought is that Sam has quit the Air Force in order to be with Jack. It could also help explain her absence from the first 5 episodes of Season 9. She could obviously still be involved with the program, but off camera. And isn't Ben Browder supposed to be a Lt Colonel and new head of SG1? I can't imagine them kicking Sam out of that post. She is the current head. Just my thoughts.

Comment

I just saw the two-parter, and as a whole, I'm not really pleased. They show Ra and Apophis, for, what, 2 minutes? Whoopee. I'm sure certain shippers may like that scene from Part II, but I'm not a shipper in any way, shape or form so it didn't affect me too much. There wasn't much action, and the story seemed to skip a lot. Like the one part where they blow up their cell door and it just automatically cuts to a scene of them running through the forest. After spectacular season finales like Lost City, Pt.2, Moebius seems lacking. It was cool to go back in time and see the SGC the way it was, but that thrill only lasts for a short time, especially because reruns are on all the time. They didn't really go too much into the big plot events, such as the return of Ra and the uprising in ancient Egypt, or even how they stole the Stargate to keep Ra from taking it with him. That would have been an awesome action scene - seeing the rebellion and such. But it wasn't there.
                            Thor: The Asgard would never invent a weapon that propels small weights of iron and carbon alloys, by igniting a powder of potassium nitrate, charcoal and sulphur.

Comment

I suppose someone has already bought up that how can the new timeline Jack have the ancient gene if he only had it because he downloaded the knowledge of the ancients into his brain. The new timeline Jack never did that so how could he have had the gene?
                              I suppose it doesn't matter because has there been a more lame season final or two parter on Stargate?
                              The whole thing was abysmal and indicative of season eight. You keep waiting for something to happen and it never does.
                              If ever you needed proof that the creative team are completely out of puff then all you'd need to do was present this two part stinker of an episode.
                              All you need do is look at who wrote it and who directed it to see why it's such a bad couple of episodes.
                              TPTB have 4 eps next season to get their act together; otherwise I'm bailing for good after eight years of the show.
                              I'm afraid the present team behind the camera simply aren't up to the job. They'd struggle to get a gig on any other show if something like Mobius is representative of their talents.

Comment

Jack had the Ancient gene because he was a descendant form the Ancients, it had nothing to do with downloading ancient knowledge into his brain.

In fact, there is some speculation ( NOT CANON ) that the library would only activeate for him becasue he had the Ancient gene. Unfortunately, this hasn't been proven.

Comment

Working...
                                X