Moebius, Part 1 (819)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by binkpmmc
    I am probably in the minority here and was not going to post since I am trying to distance myself from the show but since I wasted another hour on this ep I may as well put in my 2 cents on it. I'm not sure what I was expecting as I have been sorely disappointed almost the entire season with the few eps I have watched and with what I have heard about the others, but even so I found that, even though my expectations are pretty much at the bottom of the barrel for this show right now, I was disappointed. It just occured to me that Stargate SG1, IMO, now reminds me of skits from SNL and of Monty Python. They are indeed caricatures of themselves and I have to wonder if TPTB didn't write this episode with that aspect in mind. (I have said in the past that these guys are not soap-opera writers and now I also see they are not comedy writers and BTW when did Stargate turn into a most of the time wanna-be soap-opera/comedy? At least that is how I see it going these days.)

Goodness, gracious, my biggest question is why they would choose to end season 8, which very well could have been the end of the series for all they knew when writing and filming it, with almost the entire first half (and from my understanding the second half as well) with the focus on an alternate team (the caricatures of the real SG1) boggles my mind. Not sure why my mind still gets boggled after most of what they have put forth as Stargate this past year and a half - you would think that nothing would surprise, disappoint or boggle the mind at this point. TPTB certainly are resilient in that area as they are constantly lowering the bar and, as a consequence, my expectations just continue to drop.

Anyway - that's it and for those who say - if you don't like it stop watching, I say - I pretty much have stopped but because I have/had been a faithful, loyal fan for so long, I watched every episode for 6 1/2 seasons, (have first 6 seasons on DVD) and stopped really watching in the second-half of season 7, I do continue to hold out some small shred of hope that TPTB will get their heads out of their a$$es and fix this so once in awhile I still will watch an episode here and there that seems to, from what I read, have some chance of that fix but in the end this was not one of them - I thought that for a season (possible series) finale they could have done much, much better by the cast and by the fans.

For the sake of the show I do hope that MGM/Sci-Fi has provided a much larger budget next year or else, I fear, most of the money will go to the pricey new cast members (a lot more people to pay for 20 eps, or as recurring, and I am sure BB1, BB2, CB and L. Gossett in particular did not come too cheap) there will be zero dinero left for the actual eps and TPTB will continue to spew out earth based, IMO, hellishly boring episodes (and no I do not need to see lots of explosions, etc., to be entertained but I do need to see SOME action, SOME excitement, SOME drama (not the nonesense of personal life drama SG1 seems to have focused on of late) once in awhile - this stuff just ain't it for me after so many years of really classic Stargate SG1. In the early years there were plenty of eps that were on earth and/OR that did not have a lot of explosions that were good, well written and entertaining, with attention paid to details: Enemy Within, Cold Lazarus, Hathor, Solitudes, Singularity, Politics, Message In A Bottle, Matter of Time, 48 Hours, Foothold, In The Line of Duty, Holiday, Show & Tell, Lifeboat, Ascension, Crystal Skull, Absolute Power to name some that I can recall. Lately, IMO, TPTB are taking the easy way out and just spewing out whatever comes to mind and not giving it the attention it deserves (perhaps we get comedy of this sort because it is fast and easy/simple to write). Consequences, I guess, of the budget issues, and of course of the fact that everyone is overworked by doing 2 shows at once (40 eps gives you lower quality and I can clearly see they are rushed because of it and unfortunately, for fans like me, Stargate SG1 has suffered. IMO, they desperately want SGA to work so it can carry-on the "franchise" after SG1 signs-off, so they obviously, to me, focus their attentions there while shortshrifting SG1. All of this is just my opinion and I felt the need to vent since I feel I did waste another hour of my time. Won't make that mistake with Part 2 though. There is absolutely nothing about this ep that has me wanting more and with what I have read about Part 2 it seems that my instinct is correct.)

I will still hold out hope that TPTB will wake up in 9 (and that there will be ample budget and perhaps new writers, producers, directors to take some of the burden off the 40 episode thing so SG1 can get some of the attention it deserves back, but we'll see).
    You are not all alone my friend. There are those of us like you who see S8 for what it is. Pure Crud!!
    You should see what i wrote about Moebius. You were much kinder.
    You're right that the show seems to have almost developed into somekind of lame skit show where the actors just parody themselves and the show itself. Once in a while is fine, but lately it seems to happen in practically every episode.
    Don't be tempted with Moebius 2. It's a load of garbage like the first part. The climax is one of the most pitiful lame endings you will ever see.
    Like you, I've been there from the beginning and I've pretty much baled on the show after S8.
    The synopsis of S9 reads same old, same old. The same TPTB that gave you S8 are there in S9 and we'll continue to get crap like Moebius.
    I know we get accused of being disloyal and all the rubbish, but you'll find the the kindred spirits like us who dare to speak out about the rubbish we've been served up and the ones that were there way back in the beginning.

Comment

Originally posted by morjana
      The poll votes as of 6:33 this morning were:

----------------------VOTES---------PERCENT
      Outstanding-----------1307----------57.63 %
      Good show-------------719----------31.70 %
      Disappointing-----------205-----------9.04 %
      A real stinker------------37-----------1.63 %
      TOTAL----------------2268---------100.00 %

Which means that close to ** 90% ** LIKED this episode.

Morjana
      Which says to be about the type of viewership the show is attracting.

Comment

I've been reading the posts and LOL - they have been almost as much fun as watching the show. There is a reoccuring theme to some of the posts that I have to differ about in reference to our beloved Jack.

So many of you said you didn't like Jack in this one because he was so grumpy and was a bit of an a-hole. I had to laugh out loud!!! Haven't you guys been watching? That's our Jack O'Neill all over!!! Jack is a pain in the butt when he doesn't like you or agree with you or is in a bad mood. We have all seen Jack when he wants to be difficult - he can be annoying as hell when he wants to be! That's one of the reasons we love him!!! How many times has Daniel said, "Jack, don't be an ass!!" in word or cutting glance and he and Jack are the best of friends! How many times has Carter rolled her eyes or sighed in frustration at something he's done or said. Remember, he hadn't established a relationship with either one of these two when he met them and therefore, didn't have to be nice to them. And we all know how he feels about geeks.

Yes, he's loveable, he's our hero and he's a great guy - 80% of the time, but don't be fooled - what we saw in Moebius IS Jack, a world class pain in the mikta through and through. And don't we just love it!
        "You cannot reason with your own heart;
        it has it's own laws and beats about things
        which the intellect scorns."
        - Mark Twain -

Comment

Originally posted by david2708
          Which says to be about the type of viewership the show is attracting.
          I am not sure what you are getting at, since the statistics could mean any number of things, including (but not limited to)
          - there are people who were disappointed in the episode but didn't bother to vote (yours truly included);
          - this board tends to attract people who really, really like this show (which would only make sense); or
          - this board is not a statistically unbiased representation of general viewship of SG-1.
          In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane. ~ Oscar Wilde

Comment

Originally posted by mtee1958
            Jack on his Homer boat -- wonderful. Loved the MN accent he developed at the end of the scene. Classic.
            I howled when I heard that accent!!!! It was RDA at his best!!!

Oh -- and Daniel in that suit at the funeral (oh my )

Oh yes - let's not forget Daniel in the the suit at the funeral!!! Oh My indeed!!! I've always loved Daniel...in a platonic sort of way, but oh baby, him in that suit!!! I guess they made him as gorgeous as possible in the original timeline to contrast with his uber geekiness in the other.
            - Mark Twain -

Comment

Originally posted by Dahak
              While it very easily could have been a Minnesotta accent it seemed more like a McKenzie brothers act. If you don't know the McKenzie brothers were a skit on SCTV and had a movie called Strange Brew.
              The Minnesotta accent and the Canadian accent are very close. (I have relatives in Minnesotta.) The main difference in the "ou" pronunciation. Jack was definately doing Minnesotta.
              - Mark Twain -

Comment

When Carter is practicing her speech to her boss, she mentioned her line about having her repreductive organs on the inside.

Comment

So. Must women do. Although she did say that in CotG too.

Comment

Originally posted by shw77
                    When Carter is practicing her speech to her boss, she mentioned her line about having her repreductive organs on the inside.
                    And your point is.

Comment

Maybe he's pointing out the joke? AT apparently wasn't too happy with that line in COTG, and she gets to make fun of it it Moebius

Well I thought it was funny anyway...

/goes back to hiding

Comment

i think shw77 was jsut pointing out that is was mentioned again
                        PC-Realm - The PC Tech-Support Community

Comment

Originally posted by shw77
                          she was getting to make fun of herself. AT always has hated that line from CotG appearently and she finally got a chance to mae fun of it after 8 years. it is a really cheesy and corny line, i dont blame her for hating it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sela
                            I've been reading the posts and LOL - they have been almost as much fun as watching the show. There is a reoccuring theme to some of the posts that I have to differ about in reference to our beloved Jack.

So many of you said you didn't like Jack in this one because he was so grumpy and was a bit of an a-hole. I had to laugh out loud!!! Haven't you guys been watching? That's our Jack O'Neill all over!!! Jack is a pain in the butt when he doesn't like you or agree with you or is in a bad mood. We have all seen Jack when he wants to be difficult - he can be annoying as hell when he wants to be! That's one of the reasons we love him!!! How many times has Daniel said, "Jack, don't be an ass!!" in word or cutting glance and he and Jack are the best of friends! How many times has Carter rolled her eyes or sighed in frustration at something he's done or said. Remember, he hadn't established a relationship with either one of these two when he met them and therefore, didn't have to be nice to them. And we all know how he feels about geeks.

Yes, he's loveable, he's our hero and he's a great guy - 80% of the time, but don't be fooled - what we saw in Moebius IS Jack, a world class pain in the mikta through and through. And don't we just love it!
                            Beg to differ. Jack's been getting worse since about season 6 onwards.
                            The difference is now he just sleepwalks through most of show(actor and character), contributes really next to nothing except provide lame jokes that he's used 100 times before.
                            His character these days is completely lifeless.
                            Moebius is a good example of how his character has deteriorated. He never would have done "I don't care, heard any good jokes, what huh?...where are we...Zzzzzzzz..." in seasons 1-4.
                            In the early seasons he had a bit of zest in him.
                            He was the tough military guy with the wry sense of humour. Now he just comes across like a dumb homer simpson type character on a heavy dose of prozac.

Comment

I absolutely loved Moebius 1! I thought it was a lot of fun to fun to watch! My favorite scene though has to be when Daniel comes into the briefing room with Jack and that other archaeologist from SG-13 (Heroes). Very funny scene! LOL!

JACKSON: Jack! We need to talk! (He sees Balinsky.) Oh, sorry for interrupting.

(Jack reaches out and grabs his arm.)

O'NEILL: No! It's OK. If it's important, you must interrupt. You must.

JACKSON: I think we may have found a Z.P.M.

O'NEILL (jumping to his feet): Yes! (He turns to Balinsky and pats him on the shoulder.) Great stuff with the rocks. (Behind him, Daniel is almost jumping up and down in his eagerness to get Jack out of the room. Jack turns to him.) Go! (They hurry out of the room.)

I just loved how Jack grabs Daniel's arm, and how Daniel turns on his heels to get Jack out of there. I was in stitches with that scene. LOL!

And....what was with Catherine's niece hitting on Daniel? Yeah....well....I guess I would've done the same. At least, she's got good taste. Oh....and how can I forget about the whip joke. Let me tell you, that gave me some naughty images that I think I'll keep to myself.

Oh....and geeky Daniel is just so adorable. But, "Whiskers" (the wig) has got to go. It's such a big distraction. What makes it even worse is that I know it's a wig. And....I do cringe when seeing the geeky clothes. I mean....the sweater vests and the bowties....ick. But, on Daniel it's cute.
                              I also loved when that guy in his ESL class:

"Hello, my name is Carlos. You make me so hot."

LMAO!! I nearly fell on the floor! I thought that funny as hell! I was like, Daniel, you make me so hot, too. LOL!

There are so many good scenes in the ep it's hard name them all. I can't wait for next week!
                              sigpic
                              Follow me on Twitter! I'm on Facebook!

Comment

Until now I didn't know that Catherine had a neice. Even in the Torment of Tanatus, they never mention any relaitves.

Comment

Working...
                                X