Moebius, Part 1 (819)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Im_just_guessing
    Why does Carter have glasses? It shouldnt make any sense, unless we TRY to justify it by saying something like "She spends so much time in front of the computer, or reading documents that her eyes went bad"

She was a PILOT in the original universe!! COME ON! She should have near or perfect vision!
    I can think of many reasons. In fact with 5000 years of alternate history, it's amazing that she looks as simular as she does when you consider the chances of all of her ancestors actually meeting their respective marital partners.

Climate Change - The latest news and information on climate change, alternative energy, global warming and energy efficiency from around the internet

Climate Change Forum - Discuss topics to do with climate change, alternative energy, global warming and energy efficiency

Comment

Originally posted by Lt. Elliot
      Thing's I Didn't Like:
      (...)
      7. Catherine dead. Most people know how I feel about this and TPTB killing off so many people!
      If you check the IMDB you'll see that Elizabeth Hoffman who played Catherine didn't appear on screen since "There But for the Grace of God" in 1998. It has been 7 years. Being born in 1927 she may be unable to work. Which would be a pity, but what can we do?

Comment

Originally posted by Im_just_guessing
        That was amazing video quality btw, there was an AMAZING lack of decay!
        Of course. It was sealed in a Goa'uld canopic jar. If it can preserve life in suspended animation, it can surely preserve video tape.
        To Infinity And Beyond!

O'Neill: "Do we know this... shrub?"

Comment

Originally posted by Buzz Lightyear
          The Hammond from earlier seasons also wasn't too agreeable but over time, he grew to respect all the members of SG-1.
          That's true. Plus, in this timeline he's dealing with two people he's never heard of before, neither of whom are Air Force personnel and are only there at all because they mysteriously appear on a video tape which somehow shows them as people known to the Cheyenne Mountain staff.

Daniel has still propounded his Egypt theory which, to people who don't know that there are Stargates/Ancients/Goa'uld etc. etc., sounds extremely daft (well, would you take the 'landing pad' idea seriously?) and Carter is, to all intents and purposes, just a proof-reader of other people's research. Neither of them are leaders of their fields of expertise (by a long, long shot), so I suppose it's almost inevitable that Hammond is going to think 'who are these people?!' and be brusque with them.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fox McCloud
            You and puddle jumpers HSBC
            Damn... someone recognised me. Then again I guess the "BYE" and the speal on the Puddle Jumper was a dead give away. Where do I know you from?

BYE
            "Your Star burns! I require frozen treats!" - Tycho Brahe

"I don't like even!" - Acastus Kolya, 1X10 'The Storm'

Comment

Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess
              . I liked how Carter gave a nod to Ray Bradbury's "The Sound of Thunder" when she talked about how stepping on a bug could affect the future.
              I noticed that too (well, I went, gosh, yes, that's the Ray Bradbury where the tourist steps on the insect - not together enough to remember the name of the story) and smiled, such a hoary old SF chestnut.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Frostfox
                I noticed that too (well, I went, gosh, yes, that's the Ray Bradbury where the tourist steps on the insect - not together enough to remember the name of the story) and smiled, such a hoary old SF chestnut.
                They're currently making a movie of The Sound of Thunder.

BYE
                "Your Star burns! I require frozen treats!" - Tycho Brahe

"I don't like even!" - Acastus Kolya, 1X10 'The Storm'

Comment

As for some of the AU changes...

Since Young Hammond did not meet future SG-1 and learn that he was destined to become a General, perhaps he did not pursue his career as aggressively and along the way never met Jacob Carter. Furthermore, perhaps Hammond (or someone else he affected along the way) convinced Jacob not to retire from the airforce when his wife died in the original timeline. Thus, alternate Sam would not have been as inclined to follow her father into the military and ended up a very different person.

As for lemon chicken... who knows? Perhaps Doc Frasier would have invented the cure for allergies if she wasn't so wrapped up with the SGC

Comment

Originally posted by Buzz Lightyear
                    Of course. It was sealed in a Goa'uld canopic jar. If it can preserve life in suspended animation, it can surely preserve video tape.
                    I'm not sure. It has been sealed in a canopic jar. Hammond didn't say anything about the jar being special in any way. Of course he could just not reveal all the information to AT Sam&Daniel. I do not see a reason why keep this part a secret after tellling them about the tape and stargate, but who knows?

Comment

Great episode overall. It really shows what a great actress Amanda Tapping is. Furthermore she is the first female in scifi shows that I can actually believe what she is saying something about technical stuff. The dorky Sam was amazing. The gestures, the speech, everything.

Regarding the timeline.... I really can't find a reason for Davis moustache. Another thing is Kinsey beeing president. He only came as far as he came because he knew about the Stargate and use this knowledge as leverage. That was a bad moove in my opinion.
                      Lead developer of Star Media Center.

- My name is Anise, it means divine justice.
                      - My name is Daniel, it means God is my judge.
                      - My name is Jack, it means... What's in the box?

Comment

1. AU Sam was so fidgety! My god! During the non-discolsure agreement, she was like all jittery and fidgety. Also during the whole thing!
                        I've watched this one a couple more times now and find that I have to take back my earlier comment that AT over-played it at points. Now that it's settled in with me, I think she played it perfectly and the scene above is where I think she had it nailed. From the way she hops nervously from foot to foot and approaches the chair with those awkward movements when Hammond tells them to sit, to the nervous fidgeting with the pen - character is all in the details and here for me she's pinned this one down perfectly.

The original SG-1 had four zat guns with them. Why didn't they just Zat the jaffa around the Puddle Jumper and take off? So all those egyptians standing around would see them, so what? Seeing something strange would change time THAT much, while them actually living there WOULDN'T?
                        I don't think it was that they would be seen. In that kind of a firefight, with that many Jaffa, there would be no way to guarantee that someone wouldn't get zatted twice, no matter how hard they tried to ensure they didn't. So they couldn't take the risk that they'd end up killing someone whose absence in the timeline would change the future.

And what's with Carter saying "I never should have allowed us to do this." Excuse me? When did she get promoted over General Jack?
                        I agree with Tok'ra Hostess's interpretation of this. I really liked that line and the one where Jack says Sam wouldn't allow him to use the time machine to go back and watch the Cubs. To me they didn't mean Sam was trying to dictate to a superior officer. Like TH says, I found it a really sweet indication of how Jack listens to the opinions of Sam on matters of science. And I have no doubt he listens equally these days to Daniel and Teal'c when they have something to say too. It's all about friendship and being a team and knowing when others should be deferred to because they're the experts and you'd be an idiot to pull rank on them just because you could. It's what makes Jack such an excellent CO and leader. That he knows when to defer to opinions and when to make his own decisions.

BTW, Jack's comment about testing out the time ship by going back to 1908 (or whatever year it was). I'm assuming that 1908 was the year that the Cubs won the World Series? And that this is Jack still trying to get his way on that one? Otherwise, the significance of that date escapes me. Am I right with the connection? Or is it significant to Americans in some other way?

Albion
                        Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

Originally posted by Albion

BTW, Jack's comment about testing out the time ship by going back to 1908 (or whatever year it was). I'm assuming that 1908 was the year that the Cubs won the World Series? And that this is Jack still trying to get his way on that one? Otherwise, the significance of that date escapes me. Am I right with the connection? Or is it significant to Americans in some other way?

Albion

Yes, you are correct the date is the for the 3 Consecutive win by the Cubs for the World Series!

--------------

IMO, I thought it was a great episode. yes it lacked in a few areas but over all I liked it. I didnt have quite the AU/AT headache I was expecting, but then again this is only part 1. im not going to tackle all the things I liked or disliked, but one there was one thing that really bothered me, the whole kinsey thing, 1 maybe he is a little more "Honest" in this AU/AT. you know they should have just said it was President Bush who was not amused. But not Kinsey. Sorry for the rant.

Last edited by GuardianKentel; 17 February 2005, 04:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GuardianKentel
                            Yes, you are correct the date is the for the 3 Consecutive win by the Cubs for the World Series!

Ah, thank you, I was wondering what was important about 1908 (all I know about baseball I learnt from 'Take Me Out to the Holosuite' in DS9 I prefer cricket).

I loved (our) Sam being the twitchy one in the puddle jumper about not mucking up the timeline, emphasising to Jack over and over how important keeping the integrity intact.
                            sigpic

Comment

1908 is also the year of a mysterious event known as the Tunguska Explosion in Siberia:

http://www.icr.org/research/sa/sa-r05.htm

Comment

Thanks for the info interesting
                                "Love is not for life, it's for one week only" Wass

“You have to stay in shape. My grandmother, she started walking five miles a day when she was 60. She's 97 today and we don't know where the hell she is.” Ellen DeGeners

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'.” Homer Simpson

“It took me fifteen years to discover I had no talent for writing, but I couldn't give it up, because by that time I was too famous.” Robert Benchley

“What is it with McDonald's staff who pretend they don't understand you unless you insert the 'Mc' before the item you're ordering? It has to be a McChicken burger...a chicken burger gets blank looks. Well, I'll have a McStraw and jam it into your McEyes, you f**cking Mc******!” Billy Connolly

“Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? ...He's a mile away and you've got his shoes.” Billy Connolly

Comment

Working...
                                X