Citizen Joe (815)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hex.FTB.enabled
    Maybe Jack was a little behind on his reports. He hasn't exactly been Mr. Paperwork ("I have a deskk?")

Not that far behind! <<g>> I just think it was yet another continuity glitch. They're getting sloppy.

J.
    "He's an amazing man. After everything he's done, he's still modest. Quite self-effacing actually. He even likes people to think he's not as smart as he is. Bottom line, he's an incredibly strong leader who's given more to this program than any man has given to anything I can imagine."

Comment

Originally posted by DarkQuee1
      No. We were told he was reading Jack's reports, not channeling Jack's feelings. I thought that was a gentle (or not) ribbing of some fan's reactions.
      J.
      I had the impression that Sam and Daniel decided Joe was getting the detailed information about the team's off-world adventures - when Jack had no proximity to the stone - as Jack wrote his reports at the SGC.

As long as Jack was in proximity of the stone - at the SGC - I deduced that Joe could channel the thoughts and images directly from Jack. Otherwise how would Joe have known that Jack liked Mary Steenburgen, the color Peridot, Jack's feelings for Sam, about Pete Shanahan, etc? I doubt any of that was written up in Jack's reports.

Perhaps anything Jack thought about at the SGC - Daniel's death, feelings for Sam, Daniel appearing in Baal's gravity chamber - Joe could channel. I don't think Jack ever put Daniel's appearance in Baal's gravity prison in his reports. Hammond sure seemed surprised when Jack mentioned he'd seen Daniel (in Full Circle).

Jack certainly picked up Joe's thoughts and images about bowling on Thursdays and clipping his nose hairs. None of that was written down. Guess Joe had the stone with him a lot.

Actually it doesn't pay to examine the logic of this too closely, does it?
      Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

Originally posted by Kes
        Jack certainly picked up Joe's thoughts and images about bowling on Thursdays and clipping his nose hairs. None of that was written down. Guess Joe had the stone with him a lot.
        Joe carried it in his pocket all the time.

Originally posted by Kes
        Actually it doesn't pay to examine the logic of this too closely, does it?
        Nope. It'll make your head hurt.
        "Thats O'Neill with TWO L's!"
        *Jack holds up three fingers*
        ------------------------------
        Anubis' Jaffa: "No matter what you've previously endured. You have no idea what Anubis is capable of."
        Jack: "You ended that sentence with a preposition..... Bastard!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kes
          What's up with the lingering crotch shot on old Joe sprawled in his underwear on the sofa? Note to Andy Mikita: If you're going to do one of these in S9 I have some candidates to suggest.
          I think that was actually a homage to Homer Simpson, who Castellenata voices.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cinephilic TV Addict
            However, what really rattled my very bones with anger was the CHEAP shot they took against people who call the show bad nowadays. It was when the wife said she liked more 'relationship' style stories than 'explosion' type stories.

If the stargate crew would open up their eyes they would see two things - 1) Their 'relationship' stories are god-awful television that should be left for soap operas and other junk, or TV shows that may actually be good but are geared toward this dimension. The stargate staff is NOT geared towards this area, and they do it horribly.

And, 2) The first five seasons (their quote-on-qoute 'explosion' episodes) had much better inter-character relationships than anything we've seen in the last three years.

So, it was no fault of the actors, but that one cheap shot alone ticked me off completely - the producers should go on the air and pubicly apologize - they have no right to justify their MISTAKE with taking a good TV show and turning it into crap.
            The "relationship" line from Joe's wife was simply a homage to the faction of internet fandom who say exactly the same thing all the time. It doesn't necessarily mean that the writers feel that it's true. And some people, including me, do like the "interpersonal relationships".
            sigpic

Comment

Few things about Citizen Joe that have been commented about.

Andy the kid aging so much: maybe TPTB have the "soap opera" syndrome about kids. Just jump them to teenage, leaving out the middle years.

Jack's gait in the park(and his shoes). Looked like any number of time I've seen MacGyver walking along in his humungous tennies. Same gait. Can't really distinguish what the shoes looked like, tho.

Jack's talking to Charlene in the park about the stargate (maybe). Is that any worse than shouting outside a gas station to Maybourne about the NID etc?

Gordy the floor sweeper: No he didn't age, tho we don't know how old he's supposed to be.. BTW I think he represented any number of young male fans, not because he didn't age, tho, just think it's a homage.

Don't take this episode seriously as far as continuity etc. Did you take "The Other Guys" seriously and really think SG would ever have someone like Felger there? I hated those eps, but liked this one.

Comment

Originally posted by Zoser
                I was prepared to really like this episode (hooked on spoilers) and thought at first they were just gently poking fun at the rabid fans (me) and I did enjoy the in-jokes but started to feel skewered. Maybe I'm just getting thin skinned in my old age, but making the person who watches religiously and buys the boxed sets displayed as a fool for caring is rather like biting the hand that feeds you.
                And as for his reaction to Daniel's death, isn't he channeling Jack's reaction? Isn't it Jack's pain he is feeling, the pain he refuses to show.
                I will not belabor the plot holes. I have rather mixed feeling over this episode.
                Shouldn't some SF spit shine O'Neill's shoes?
                Dearest Zoser,
                Perhaps this episode is a gentle cautionary tale. To become involved with and care about the characters and the stories does not make you (or me) a fool. To have them take over your life, however, leaves you with no life of your own. Lucky Joe! For him, the SGC turns out to be real.......but the stories are still not HIS life.

I'd say I'm a fairly rabid SG fan myself (I, too, have all 7 seasons on DVD), and I loved the episode, even though I probably missed a few references while laughing hysterically. It IS easy to get deeply involved when a show is this well done, so please try to just enjoy laughing at yourself (I did), and don't take acknowledgment of your passion as an insult.

BTW,
                I loved "Holiday" & "The Light", etc..............Joe's wife has no taste!

Comment

I thought this was a great episode. I enjoyed watching Joe's interpretation of the events and I thought the clips were kept short enough so as to not comprise the entire episode thus, not making it strictly a clip episode per say. Very tasteful!

My favorite bits were:
                  "First of all... I'm am not terrible at Ping-Pong" -Jack (or something along those lines)
                  and
                  "I totally get Burns as Goa'ould" -Joe (and Jack's reaction to this!)

Comment

My favourite part:

Joe: By the way, I totally see the connection. Burns, Goa-uld!
                    Jack: THANK YOU!!

Nice little referance to Lost City one season ago.
                    "You ended that sentence with a preposition!!" - Jack O'Niell

My DVD Collection

Comment

Didnt read what everyone had posted but just saw this ep (out of town on friday) and didnt really like it. The whole a civillian knowing the truth about the Stargate has been done already. It had some funny parts but i was contemplating just fast fowarding my tape and watching before i sleep.

Comment

Originally posted by SmartFox
                        Didnt read what everyone had posted but just saw this ep (out of town on friday) and didnt really like it. The whole a civillian knowing the truth about the Stargate has been done already. It had some funny parts but i was contemplating just fast fowarding my tape and watching before i sleep.
                        Your right, aside from a few nice moments I didn't much like it either. It was just another RDA Lite episode as I like to call 'em. That means that it's an episode written because of RDA's cut backs. YES, YES, I know RDA was in the episode but really... come on for how long? Ten minutes? That hardly qaulifies. It was just another of the annual flashback episodes. I'm really getting bored with the flashback episodes.
                        "You ended that sentence with a preposition!!" - Jack O'Niell

My DVD Collection

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan
                          Your right, aside from a few nice moments I didn't much like it either. It was just another RDA Lite episode as I like to call 'em. That means that it's an episode written because of RDA's cut backs. YES, YES, I know RDA was in the episode but really... come on for how long? Ten minutes? That hardly qaulifies. It was just another of the annual flashback episodes. I'm really getting bored with the flashback episodes.
                          Oh, come on. Like I said, this definitely wasn't their best flashback, but it is interesting to see how they will incorporate flashbacks into an episode. Plus, it gives people who haven't been around for a while a chance to see what's happened before.
                          Yes, I really do look like (a younger) Daniel. Don't believe me? Look for yourself.

Hey, Mitchell! You want a turn?

Comment

I thought the end was great. Joe was definatly up there with the grade "A" fans, lol. And I thought it was wonderful when we found out that O'Niell had been having visions of Joe's life for seven years and he found it relaxing. That was great! All in all, a pretty good clip show--one of the best I've seen on any show, and certainly the best I've seen on Stargate! Yeah, I wouldn't mind seeing Joe again.
                            thankee toasteronfire

Comment

Originally posted by DarkQuee1
                              There seemed to be a continuity error in this ep (we're getting a number of them this year.
                              Spoiler:
                              Threads' "4 years" more of Jacob, rather than the six it actually was, as another example
                              )

The stones activated when they both picked them up, and that was after at least "Politics" (yes, they got them in TBFTG, but the flashback showed Daniel with no sling, so it had to be after Politics). And Joe was getting his info from Jack's reports. Yet, he knew about Argos and the nanites. Which was months before Jack would have handled the stone. That report would have been long since filed away (if Jack even wrote it, considering his situation). How did Joe know? J.
                              He probably knew because Jack was the one who had touched it, so Joe could see whatever happened to Jack(or had happened, if he thought about it), but he could only know what happened to the others through Jack's reports. So it makes sense that Joe would know about Jack from the beginning, but would only know of the others since after he touched the stone.
                              thankee toasteronfire

Comment

Originally posted by Zoser
                                One other thought on Jack's visions of Joe's life. Joe had these intense visions of Jack when handling the stone. Jack only touched the stone once (turning it on). So perhaps his visions were seldom and less intense.
                                Thats a very good theory. I noticed the same plot hole when i watched it ... but i'm willing to overlook it because the rest of the episide was great. I don't normally like clipshows, but this one was great - and i think we can all identify with joe's obsessiveness

Poor Joe when Daniel died. ((((Joe)))) Noone else thought Daniel even existed, so no sympathy for Joe. I really liked that part - and i don't think it was OTT, especially as Joe believed the 'stories' were true. I've been known to scream NOOOOOOOO at the tv and rant about it for weeks when major characters die.

Originally posted by DownFallAngel
                                Maybe he could be an on base barber or something....just toying with an idea here people!
                                Lol, that would be great.

McKay: In military parlance surprise... is an element on our side.

Comment

Working...
                                X