Threads (818)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Buzz Lightyear
    I said the "chaperone" comment and I've never considered myself a "shipper" [shudders].
    Therefore I must apologise.

BYE
    "Your Star burns! I require frozen treats!" - Tycho Brahe

"I don't like even!" - Acastus Kolya, 1X10 'The Storm'

Comment

Originally posted by Dinoflo
      I thought that Threads was awful, the worst episode this year. If they'd made it 2 hours long and shown all the battle scenes that take place, but are never seen, or if Baal had tried to stop Anubis, or if we'd even seen Anubis trying to use the wepon instead of just assuming that the gate activating was him it could have been better. Since this was the final showdown with Anubis it should at least have shown him more. It was a good consept, but ruined by consentrating so many scenes on Sam, and almost none on the problem of Anubis.
      "almost none on the problem of Anubis"?

Geez, he talks more in this episode than in any previous episode. And we actually get insight into his true personality and not that "I am your god" pretentiousness that we usually get from him.

Mega battle scenes are not always required to show conflict. Besides, it's already been well-established that blowing up his mothership and fleet doesn't really get rid of him.
      To Infinity And Beyond!

O'Neill: "Do we know this... shrub?"

Comment

Originally posted by Ace
        Absouletly agree with you 100%!! Though I wasn't a big fan of the Changeling, I understand and agree with you.
        Changeling was, in my mind, the best ep of Season 6. Not my fav ep of Season 6 (that goes to Prometheus and Alligeance), but as far as over-all storylines, use of character, acting, writing, directing etc. etc. I thought The Changeling was fantstic.

That's the reason why I liked it. I didn't just go "DANIEL! SQEEE!" Not that I ever go 'sqeee', but you get my point.

Originally posted by Ace
        Whenever I try to say what you have said, I get those nasty red rep points... obviously I didn't state it quite right.

So to even out the score, I have added some green points to your profile, for getting the words just right.
        Why do you think I disabled reputation? Because every time I speak my mind here I get half a dozen shippers going "This'll show 'em!" and hitting the 'bad' button in rep, as though it actually matters.

Originally posted by Ace
        It's not that I'm anti-ship or anti-Daniel, I guess I just don't like the extremes because they influence everyone's opinion of what are usually high quality stargate episodes. Anyway, you stated far better than I ever could, so I'll just stop talking and have everybody just look up and reread your post for my point!
        I left SDJ.com before they could kick me out, then laughed heartily when Nightwalkers... no... Shadowplay (I think) got the same ratings as Abyss.

I've often said that I'm a walking contradiction when it comes to Stargate. Daniel is my fav character, yet I was happy when he left, my Avatar is Jonas (who's not my fav character), and I thought Season 6 was fantastic. I also thought that Daniels' 3 appearences in Season 6 were better than all 44 appearences in Seasons 4 & 5.

I'm going to steal your wording here for a second and say that, like you, I'm not anti-ship and (going back on topic now), the reviews for Threads here are are "influenced" by these "extremes". And, whilst I'm not about to tell everyone 'stop being happy about shippy moments', what I would like to get across is this:

Stop saying an episode is good or bad based only upon shippy moments (or Daniel moments, or Tea'c moments, or Team moments). Say an episode is good or bad based upon the merits of the episode itself, not just the one segment of it that pandered to your particular faction of the fandom.

I'm not about to call Fallen/Homecoming fantastic episodes because I finally got to see Jonas and my fav character Daniel interacting. I'm going to call Fallen/Homecoming fantastic episodes because of the writing, acting, direction, FX and general structure of it, and because I finally got to see Jonas and my fav character Daniel interacting.

Threads was an episode with a multitude of problems, the least of which was the Jack/Sam stuff.

BYE
        "Your Star burns! I require frozen treats!" - Tycho Brahe

"I don't like even!" - Acastus Kolya, 1X10 'The Storm'

Comment

Originally posted by AlphaBlu
          I thought Threads had many problems that had nothing to do with the shippy stuff, but I've seen so many comments that are just "OMG! Jack & Sam! 10/10!!! LOL!" and it's quite frustrating. In other words, the episode gets high marks based on that alone without any critical view of the rest of the episode.

I have no problem with people being happy that they've seen certain things in an episode. I do have a problem with someone gushing over a particular episode due to one thing to the point where they ignore all the faults (and significant faults in the case of Threads).
          Actually, I one of those who thought the Sam/Jack stuff was interesting but not really the important part of the episode. I was very impressed with the Daniel/Oma/Anubis diner storyline and how it all played out.

You might feel there are myriad faults in this episode and you are entitled to that opinion. But many other fans truly enjoyed the entire episode, whether they're "shippers" or not. You'll just have to learn to accept that.
          To Infinity And Beyond!

Comment

^^ agreed.

It was a good ep all round. It did its job of closing/explaning/summing up alot of issues, ready for the 2 final episodes.

Good show!

Comment

I just thought of another thing I liked about this episode: Jack's Girlfriend (I'm blanking on her name) came up with an interesting idea... If Jack retired, he could still be head of the SGC, just as Dr. Weir was a civilian head of the SGC. Then there would be no regulation against Jack and Sam being together. I wonder... if RDA had been amenable to a full season 9, would they have persured this route? Mr. O'Neill? Might have been cool.

-IMF
              "There's not a little boy born who wouldn't tear the world apart to save his mummy... and this little boy can." --The Doctor.
              "The plastic tips at the ends of shoelaces are called Aglets. Their true purpose is sinister."--The Question.
              BAD WOLF!!!

Comment

Stop saying an episode is good or bad based only upon shippy moments (or Daniel moments, or Tea'c moments, or Team moments). Say an episode is good or bad based upon the merits of the episode itself, not just the one segment of it that pandered to your particular faction of the fandom.

Threads was an episode with a multitude of problems, the least of which was the Jack/Sam stuff.
                I do see where you're coming from AB and even have some sympathy for a number of things you've said but if you're expecting human beings to be a 100% objective all of the time... you're doomed for disappointment.

To me "Threads" is a double edged sword, on the one hand it tries to tie up loose ends... but on the other, it seems to create new ones. I thought it was a surprisingly moving episode (with some nice father-daughter stuff) and the twist with Anubis was good fun. Sam was obviously made to seem vulnerable and confused but I didn't think Jack had the same kind of angst. In fact, at times I thought Jack was actually looking happy in his new relationship and then quite abruptly... the new GF drops him like a hot potato because he "apparently has issues". It was just too convenient... too calculated... So while Anubis and Oma tough it in some eternal cosmic battle, SG-1 takes some time out to go fishing... actually it's Jack and Sam that's fishing but Teal'c (obviously taking time out of his heavy responsibilities with the new Jaffa nation) and Daniel (who has another new sunbronzed body) are along to make sure all manner of etiquette and propriety are being adhered to... right...

In some ways I'm glad that the S/J shippers are happy with this particular aspect of the episode because they actually care about it and want it so desperately. Some of us don't. Some of us are just purely indifferent. I am, however, always more than a little disturbed at how convenient it is to dissolve relationships on screen but perhaps fiction is occasionally stranger than truth.

P.S. Ha! Finally some confirmation that the Ascendants are flawed, sanctimonious and all too human...
                Last edited by Easter Lily; 09 February 2005, 09:55 PM. Reason: Typos and postscript
                sigpic
                "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

You know what, I really wanted to see Ba'al take care of Anubis, not Oma Desala.

Although that was the best scene in the entire episode.

Comment

Can I put forth a theory ?
                    According to Oma, the "ascended" won't interfere with Anubis as long as he does things that he could have done as a mortal. Obviously, as a mortal, he could have destroyed all life in the galaxy. However, as a mortal, he would not have been able to survive, so if Anubis did activate the device, life would have ended, but according to the rules, he would not be allowed to survive.

Comment

This is a forum where people are able to like what they like for whatever reason they choose. That's not going to change.

I have no problem with people being happy that they've seen certain things in an episode. I do have a problem with someone gushing over a particular episode due to one thing to the point where they ignore all the faults (and significant faults in the case of Threads).
                      If people gush, it's because this ep genuinely brings them joy. I'm not going to let anyone tell the gushing shippers that their reasons for their joy aren't good enough. (Especially as I've noticed that a number of people who I know to be shippers did post about Daniel, Jacob, Teal'c etc. How much more would they have to mention DJ et al before you'd accept that they have a right to genuinely like all of this ep?)

If there are shippers ignoring the faults in this ep then it may be because *they didn't spot any*. What you see as a fault might not be what others see. I know a staunch anti-shipper who loved it and found no fault - does that help you to understand that people's inability to find fault with this ep is not a Shipper Failing but just a YMMV thing? *I* failed to identify as Faults a number of things you posted were wrong with this ep.

I've already asked you not to disparage any groups of fans, and I've already made it clear that discussion of fans' responses to this ep is tangential to the topic at best. I think I'd better state it more explicitly.

Do not disparage any groups of fans, including (but not limited to) Shippers Who Like Threads.

Do not analyse Fans' response to this ep. Mentioning fan response in terms of how successful Threads was is legit. Analysing and critiquing Fans' response is not legit.

Madeleine

Comment

I was just thinking, Oma said Anubis couldn't be killed, but he can/has been locked into an eternal battle. Therefore, when Daniel was previously ascended, was he going to do the same thing and lock Anubis in eternal battle, or did he perhaps have the ability to kill him ?
                        Replicarter did say (or at least beleive) that Daniel had the power to kill Anubis ...

Still, an eternal battle between two ascended would be awesome to behold ! Maybe in S9, we can get some "between rounds" highlights of the battle!

Comment

Originally posted by Easter Lily
                          actually it's Jack and Sam that's fishing but Teal'c (obviously taking time out of his heavy responsibilities with the new Jaffa nation)
                          As usual, you make some very perceptive points. I guess even Jaffa nation builders need a weekend off, now and then.

I am, however, always more than a little disturbed at how convenient it is to dissolve relationships on screen but perhaps fiction is occasionally stranger than truth.
                          But that's only because we've taken to accepting so much bizarreness in life as the norm. How else do we account for Britney's advocacy of the sanctity of marriage?

P.S. Ha! Finally some confirmation that the Ascendants are flawed, sanctimonious and all too human...
                          It's only because our tiny minds cannot hope to understand the vast complexities of the myriad planes of existence...or so I read in The Ascended Times.
                          To Infinity And Beyond!

Comment

The very first thing I thought when Daniel was talking to the fat guy was "he's Anubis". Kind of a lame episode, but I still enjoyed it. Anyone know why it was longer than normal?

Climate Change - The latest news and information on climate change, alternative energy, global warming and energy efficiency from around the internet

Climate Change Forum - Discuss topics to do with climate change, alternative energy, global warming and energy efficiency

Comment

Originally posted by kashi
                              The very first thing I thought when Daniel was talking to the fat guy was "he's Anubis". Kind of a lame episode, but I still enjoyed it. Anyone know why it was longer than normal?
                              there was just a lot of stuff they wanted to show so they made it an extra long ep.
                              i personally thought it was great up until the end.
                              daniel appearing in jack's office seemed a bit... too convenient?
                              i mean he dies, ascends, comes back, dies again, almost ascends but ends up in the boardroom this time but with his memory... i was expecting some very emotional ending like daniel ascending but sticking to the rules and/or not coming back this time. i mean i love daniel and i think hes great on the show, but really they need to make up their minds, they cant just kill him and bring him back only to kill him and bring him back again... thats like cheating! they had better explain what happened... and they had better not kill daniel again... i thought this episode could have been a great end to the series if they had just altered the ending a bit, jack and sam get together, t'ilk and bra'tac have their jaffa land, anubis is defeated, everybody lives happily ever after... i really think season 9 is a mistake... i'll watch it, but i really just don't think its a good idea...
                              Ford: You know we still haven't named the planet yet
                              Sheppard: I'm sure the ancients have a name for it
                              Ford: How about atlantica? Something like that
                              Sheppard: I thought we agreed you were not going to name anything anymore

Comment

But let's face it everyone, didn't we all take an instant liking to "Joe" ?
                                He looks like loads of fun to be around !
                                You reckon that's what Anubis the g'ould looked like ? How fun would that have been ?

Comment

Working...
                                X