Reckoning, Part 1 (816)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AsgardCarnage
    quick question, danial worked out what the "if you know that the candel light is fire, then the meal was cooked along time ago" means, what does it mean? its about your perspective on the world around u or something right?
    The way I interpreted what went on there was that Daniel had just figured out that he wasn't talking to Oma. She was speaking too straighforwardly for Oma. (He may not have remembered ascension, but he remembered his first encounter with Oma in Maternal instinct, with his wife's son, Shifu in Absolute Power and he would know that she spoke in near incomprensible riddles.) In fact, she was talking more like Sam.

So he plastered that "eureka" look on his face and talked candlelight and dinner and watched "Oma"s" expression. I doubt he knows what the expression means, but he knew that this "Oma" didn't, either.

That's how I saw the scene, anyways.
    Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
    "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
    One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
    resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
    confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
    A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
    The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Good post. However, it's not a case of 'new disgust' for Jack but more alarm at how he is being portrayed. I'm not sure whether it is the writing or the actor's choice but Generals generally show a bit more gravitas. Also, there appears to be a great many 'fish out of water' stories for O'Neill at the moment. That may be deliberate and leading up to his resignation or whatever, but can we have an episode where he does shine, is a bit more serious and caring about the team/s?

As for dealing with a hologram instead of the real deal, my comment regarding his snarkiness was also taking into account his behaviour in other instances eg Maybourne in Good to be King. Jack was an excellent leader as Colonel and he should be as General but he's not, and that is due to writing. He would not have made Colonel, let alone General, if was as crap as he is currently being portrayed. They promoted him for a reason. Being slightly dense and irreverent is one thing, total w&^%er is another.

Comment

The only part of this ep that didn't work for me was Jacob suggesting to Jack that they tell Ba'al to pull his forces back thus dooming the Jaffa rebellion, did he really think for a second that Jack would do something to ensure the destruction of the rebellion esp considering that Teal'c and Bra'tac were there???

Comment

Originally posted by noxturnal
          The only part of this ep that didn't work for me was Jacob suggesting to Jack that they tell Ba'al to pull his forces back thus dooming the Jaffa rebellion, did he really think for a second that Jack would do something to ensure the destruction of the rebellion esp considering that Teal'c and Bra'tac were there???
          That only points out the difference in thinking between the Tok'Ra and their sometimes allies, the SGC and the rebel Jaffa. Jacob is obviously heavily influenced by Selmak's perspective. It's a very logical position but doesn't take into account O'Neill's personal feelings for Teal'c, Bra'tac and the rebel Jaffa, or his aversion to putting trust in any Goa'uld, especially Baal.
          To Infinity And Beyond!

O'Neill: "Do we know this... shrub?"

Comment

[mod snip] I MISSED YU DIEING.

Damn you Manchester United V Chelsea being interesting during the break.

I've got a feeling that Anubis may save the day and is working to save the Galaxy from the Replicator/Plague threat and has been since he deascended and he forseen it when ascended.

That said he is still a evil sonofa and intends to rule the galaxy he saved(rightly so), but due to his good deed of ridding the Galaxy of the Replicators and saving millions he will be rewarded with ascension.

That would be a nice little twist anyway
            Last edited by GateWorld; 27 January 2005, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Juice
              That said he is still a evil sonofa and intends to rule the galaxy he saved(rightly so), but due to his good deed of ridding the Galaxy of the Replicators and saving millions he will be rewarded with ascension.
              Ah, no... Maybe you missed the point that he's not planning on saving anyone. He's gonna wipe out all life in the galaxy... Everything. Not just the replicators.
              Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

Originally posted by Ugly Pig
                Ah, no... Maybe you missed the point that he's not planning on saving anyone. He's gonna wipe out all life in the galaxy... Everything. Not just the replicators.
                Makes you wonder what the point would be though. He'd be alone in the galaxy, with no one to rule; no one even to speak to except the other ascendeds, who wouldn't be particularly pally with him. It'd be pretty miserable for Anubis if you ask me.

Madeleine

Comment

Excellent episode. Replicarter is fantastic. Totally psychotic and evil. What a great villain.

Nice to see some fallout from Gemini, and Jack addressing the issue with Carter, admitting that ultimately he was at fault for giving permission for her actions. Now what are they going to do about it?

Was totally fooled by "Oma". I really thought it was her. Nice twist. Also nice to know that the ancient knowledge is there somewhere in Daniel's brain.

And while I felt that Teal'c and Bra'tac took Ta'karta way too easily, and was expecting more action, I didn't expect it to come in the form of a trap having been laid.

Also wasn't expecting Anubis to make a reappearance.

Ba'al was great and the banter with Jack was fantastic. Had me LOL several times.

Nice to see Jacob again too, and to know that the To'kra are still out there doing whatever it is they do.

This was one episode that I had basically remained completely spoiler free for, so all the twists and turns made for a nice surprise. Can't wait until next week.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ugly Pig
                    .... and we only have Ba'al's word for that at this point...

Comment

********spoilers for future episodes***********

Anubis is waaaay waaaay more evil then the rest of the gou'ld. He was so evil, that the rest of the gou'ld tried to kill him. They at least know that humans must live in order to serve them. Anubis wants to kill everything in the galaxy and create life as he sees fit. (To me, the ancient weapon can seed life throughtout the galaxy...I don't see it destroying life...but it does create life, which Anubis wants). I see replicarter killing Daniel, him dieing and then ascending; and then Daniel and Anubis duking it out in Threads.

But that kind of makes you wonder for the 2 part season finale. Why would sg-1 use the time ship to go back in time? Maybe Anubis wins and kills everything and they must go back to stop it; but I don't think that that will happen.

I know this is kind of off topic, but Daniel said in Abyss that being ascended doesn't make you all knowing; if this is so, then how would Anubis know all about ancient knowledge. And how would Daniel have knowledge stored in his subconsious if he never got it in the first place. I know I'm probably trying to make logic out of something that shouldn't be taken word for word, but it had irked me for a while.

Comment

Coming into this thread late but just wanted to state theat I really enjoyed this episode. It had everything Stargate can and should be about given the current cirumstances. Almost made me forget episodes like Prometheus Unbound and Citizen Joe. Almost... . Maybe the second part will do the trick.

I liked that we saw each of the four main characters with equal amounts of time. If they do it like this I don't even long for real team eps; pairing each of the characters with strong and well-loved (or hated) recurring characters is splendid.

Comment

Originally posted by ElanaM
                          Also, there appears to be a great many 'fish out of water' stories for O'Neill at the moment. That may be deliberate and leading up to his resignation or whatever,
                          Jack has only been a general for a few months; Hammond, who was a major general when we first met him, had been a general for years and undoubtedly has had other commands (though probably none as important as the SGC turned out to be). Jack has been thrown into the deep end: probably the most active, crisis-ridden and dangerous command in the military. Heck, on the whole planet. And it's not the sort of thing he ever really wanted to do.

but can we have an episode where he does shine, is a bit more serious and caring about the team/s?
                          The problem is that, in any number of eps, because of RDA's schedule, there were times when Jack should have been present and wasn't. But he was definitely more serious in GEmini, and dealt well with the Russians in Full Alert. Ba'al is a whole different thing, though, and I will continue to maintain that his attitude toward Ba'al is totally in character and goes a lot deeper than being a smartass.

As for caring: the writers have blown it on a number of occasions lately. But in regard to your complaint about Jack not caring for the team, he was certainly concerned in Zero Hour, in Icon, in Avatar, in Endgame, about TEal'c in Sacrifices and Reckoning. With Daniel, it may have been a failure on the part of the writers. OTOH, it's not totally out of character: Jack can't do anything to help Daniel (and unlike Icon, we aren't dealing with a situation that has dragged on for quite a while) and there are emergencies out there affecting with other members of the SGC, our allies, and even the entire planet (ok, the entire galaxy). We've seen Jack enough to know that this is not when he would choose to stop doing anything else to worry about something he can't do anything about; that will come later when the crisis is over.

J.
                          "He's an amazing man. After everything he's done, he's still modest. Quite self-effacing actually. He even likes people to think he's not as smart as he is. Bottom line, he's an incredibly strong leader who's given more to this program than any man has given to anything I can imagine."

Comment

So he plastered that "eureka" look on his face and talked candlelight and dinner and watched "Oma"s" expression. I doubt he knows what the expression means, but he knew that this "Oma" didn't, either.

That's how I saw the scene, anyways.
                            Yes, you can see that in Oma's response to what Daniel says, in her expressions. Quite clearly, for a moment, she's completely baffled and has no idea how to respond. Then she smiles and tries to get over her lapse by giving him what she thinks is the correct answer. Daniel, of course, has noted her initial confusion and knows his theory that she's not Oma is correct.

Makes you wonder what the point would be though. He'd be alone in the galaxy, with no one to rule; no one even to speak to except the other ascendeds, who wouldn't be particularly pally with him. It'd be pretty miserable for Anubis if you ask me.
                            Yes, I meant to mention that. Same thing occurred to me. Seems a daft thing to do. Who'd he have left to annoy? BTW, while I'm here - really liked the whole Anubis switching bodies thing.

Albion
                            Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W
                              Always assuming that whoever activates the device doesn't get annihilated too. And if Anubis is somehow immune, he'll have run out of fresh bodies to swap into. Which seems highly appropriate actually.

Comment

Originally posted by Albion
                                BTW, while I'm here - really liked the whole Anubis switching bodies thing.

Albion
                                <nods enthusiastically> Yes! Finally, Anubis has my attention. He has become much more real and dangerous to me since Lockdown. What a terrible situation for the host but at least they don't have to endure for thousands of years.... <ugh!>
                                Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
                                "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
                                One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
                                resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
                                confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
                                A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
                                The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Working...
                                X