Prometheus Unbound (812)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cinephilic TV Addict
    PU was absolutely horrible. This should have been scrapped the second they saw the final product.

I don't feel like writing a book, so let me hit a few of the main points -

1) Everybody says "It's a fun episode, so loosen up." You know what I say - "Fun episodes are inherently supposed to be fun." If the dramatic part of the episode is dominant, a barage of silly jokes only hurts the episode. In other words, if you want a fun episode, make its theme and aura fun in the first place. This episode was dark in aura - the episode was a dramatic one unsuccessfully written to be funny. If it's gonna work, it's gotta be the other way around - a funny episode at heart, with an underlying dramatic quality that adds neccesary conflict so that the episode is just not a rambling mess. In short, this episode should never have been considered to be made into a funny one.

2) Who actually laughs at stargate jokes nowadays? They are NOT funny. The 'humor' in this episode was ridiculous - Jack O Neill was the comedy in the first five seasons, and his jokes were SPARSE and WELL-CONCIEVED. Nowadays, as in PU, you get a joke every two seconds written by writers who have no capacity to write an episode bulky with comedy. Yes, the writers are good, and yes, they deserve their jobs, but they are slacking off and putting out crap that they would never have risked doing back in the early days of the show, when you make gold or you're off the air.

Honestly, here's a solid argument for the reasons why this episode was so bad - Every time the writer came to a point where thought was needed to decide what happens next, they ditched thought and put in a lame joke.

Example - General Hammond, a fan favorite, has his moment of heroism (the only good idea that came out of this episode). He's passed out, and the drama reaches its peak. Us fans are on the edge of our seats, and what happens? A stupid stupid stupid bad bad bad unfunny unfunny ridiculously unfunny joke about mouth to mouth which was impracticle and ruined the intensity of the scene. i happen to know that this writer also wrote icon and space race (which together may constitute the three worst episodes of the series), but at the same time he wrote avatar, the only decent episode this season.

in other words, everyone knows the potential these writers have, but everyone can clearly see that they are refusing to use it and instead replacing it with bad, poorly written jokes.

If I was in charge of stargate, priority number one would be to take out every single joke in an episode, shoot it, and then put in four or five good ones afterward. I'm sorry, but the writers aren't funny. Their talents are in drama, not comedy, whether they like it or not.

3) Everything about Vala was horrible. Her character was not believable in any way what-so-ever (writer's fault, not the actress's) and every time she and Daniel fought or spoke or even breathed together i wanted to jump out my window to save what little intelligence I had left. I wasn't watching stargate when PU was aired - I was watching a B movie from the 1970s with tin-pan dialogue and a lously plotline. Maybe the producers think that because they've been on for eight seasons, they can put on anything and the fans will like it...wrong. In fact, I'd bet that they know their show has jumped the shark, but everything they try to do to fix it only makes it worse. Do I feel sorry for them? - NO! If you can't fix it, get it off the air and out of my sight. PU was junk.

4) Also, as in all episodes nowadays, there are too many plot elements for a forty-some minute episode. And putting in too much material means that every scene loses quality. If you want me to believe that Vala shot and dragged the whole crew of the Prometheus to the rings before Daniel could go get one gun, than you, mr. stargate writer, are gravely insulting my intelligence, and that makes for a bad episode. besides, once the crew was ringed off, how did they get moved off the ring platform before the next set of knocked out crew was ringed over?

This episode is the apitamy of what should not be on TV. No excuses - it should have been canned.
    Wow. I've read both your posts so far and, you don't cut anyone any slack nor show any mercy, do you?
    Yes, I really do look like (a younger) Daniel. Don't believe me? Look for yourself.

Hey, Mitchell! You want a turn?

Comment

In a nutshell - no, I do not cut anybody slack. Yes, for TV you have got to expect a bad episode once in a while - however, three seasons worth is not 'once in a while.'

Fact of the matter is, I just started watching Stargate a little over a year ago, and I watched the old ones every monday night for a while on Sci-fi. I was decently impressed - for a TV show, it was pretty good.

I don't watch many dramatic TV shows, because there aren't that many good ones. I watch Stargate, Atlantis, and 24 (yes - I know there are at least 10 or 12 other good dramas on TV right now, if you include the HBO/Showtime/etc. channels, but I only watch those three for now).

My point is that at least Stargate is WORTHY of criticism, because it used to be unbelievably good. I just meant it is junk now, but by "junk," it is still better than most of the crap that's on TV. However, the majority of seasons 6, 7, and 8 have been junk none-the-less. Just higher-end junk.

Now don't put me off as one of those "Oh, he justs wishes it was like the first few seasons" kind of guy, because my point is legitamate. Yes, for a show to go on this long, changes were needed. My complaint is the fact that, starting in season 6, they should have realized that their 'changes' weren't working. So what did they do? Try and make them work again in season 7. Season 7 was awful, but for the sake of argument, let's say it was out of stubborness that they went ahead with it to try and fix the problems that began in season 6 (which was better than seven - for the record, I've got no problems with Jonas or Daniel - they're both great actors). Actually, one could argue that season 5 was the real skipping point, but at least 5 still had some pretty good episodes.

Okay - here's where my point begin - these people made two horrendous seasons, and now they still are refusing to realize that their 'changes' aren't working. They're just blazing ahead with absolute junk like PU instead of 1) Going back to what worked, or 2) 'Changing' again.

Personally, I agree that a change needed to be made - at the end of five, they had turned Daniel into Jack 2 and Jack had already begun his decline from funny to painful (and RDA is one of my favorite actors so it's truly painful to see him relegated to a character who is no longer funny). However, the fact that the producer's 'change' was to turn an award-worthy series into a form of podder that's not worthy of anything but a smack-in-the-head, AND THEN refusing to fix it is what makes me, as O'Neill would say, urked.

They've gone from greatness to junk, and PU is one of the best examples. I don't have to cut people slack who have the talent to make awesome TV but instead choose to make crap.

I only watch the show now because I've seen it from the beginning and now must see how it ends, even if that means 18 out of 21 episodes are painful.

Let's put it simply - I'm a film major at college, and let's say for the sake of argument that I'll write/direct a thriller someday. Stargate used to show me what works. Nowadays, it is showing me EXACTLY what not to do. And for the record, not only do I KNOW that I could write better comedy than the writers (I write for my university's version of 'The Onion', so I do it on a monthly basis), I believe that the majority of people who have gotten fed up with Stargate nowadays could also. It is simply a matter of doing the opposite of what the writers do now, a.k.a. it is simply a matter of actually being funny. Just ask yourself this, inevitable poster who disagrees with me -don't you feel like you could have put in better jokes than the ones in PU? I find it hard to believe that anyone doesn't think they can put in better jokes, but I know there must be some.

Hey, I'm adamant and I'll defend my points, but I'm also not looking to start cut-throat arguments. I'm all about healthy, friendly arguments where, in the end, we'll have to agree to disagree because I won't be budged. I just put that in so people won't avoid responding to me because they think I'll flip out on them - I won't. I'm actually looking forward to being challenged once in awhile - forums are great like that. God knows I don't want to be labeled as a super Nazi before my fifth post, but I'm just reminding everybody that I'll probably be the negative view of the show from here on out, but that is only because I'm concentrating on the negative. Once in a while, if I feel like it or if I'm asked, I'll talk about what is still well done on the show (which ain't much, I'll tell you that right now).

And that's about all I have to say for right now.
      Last edited by Cinephilic TV Addict; 06 February 2005, 09:40 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

Once again I say"Whoa!"

I think you can change your name from CTVA to Provocateur. Keep an open mind OK?! I'll respect you and your strong opinions if you do that.
        Hatshepsut, Queen Pharaoh

Comment

Hey - don't worry about me. Like I hinted at, I want to make friends, not enemies. Just know that my opinions will always be strong.

In retrospect, I should have never said that "I can't be budged" because that is a lie - if you can give me a counter-argument that I like, then I will have been budged. In retrospective retrospect, I probably should have just edited that part out of my last post, and not written this, but I didn't. Oh well.

I'm not going to be insulting people, just probably disagreeing with them. That's all. I'll keep it clean as long as everyone else does.

Comment

Okydoky. I'll definitely check out your posts.
            Hatshepsut, Queen Pharaoh

Comment

Originally posted by Cinephilic TV Addict
              Hey - don't worry about me. Like I hinted at, I want to make friends, not enemies. Just know that my opinions will always be strong.

In retrospect, I should have never said that "I can't be budged" because that is a lie - if you can give me a counter-argument that I like, then I will have been budged. In retrospective retrospect, I probably should have just edited that part out of my last post, and not written this, but I didn't. Oh well.

I'm not going to be insulting people, just probably disagreeing with them. That's all. I'll keep it clean as long as everyone else does.
              I think I'm going to like you.
              Yes, I really do look like (a younger) Daniel. Don't believe me? Look for yourself.

Comment

Aside from a few minor scenes that were okay, I have to say this was my least favorite episode so far this season...

First off, there were many plot holes in this one... (I only could get to page 6 on this thread before making a reply)

For example:
                Was I the only one who noticed the difference between Vala in a Kull suit as compared to a real Kull warrior? Cough... zat... cough.... if Daniel or anyone else on the prometheus was being perceptive they would've noticed that it most likely wasn't a real Kull warrior, as all warriors shown on previous episodes (since they were introduced in season 7) have used their wrist energy weapon thing.... I was disappointed that Daniel or anyone else didn't notice this....

Why did Vala need the prometheus when she obviously had the resources to land something better (If I recall, she insulted the Prometheus's "primitive" design at one part). She has ways to get a Kull warrior suit (how is a good question) and a zat yet she needs to use the lowly Tauri ship to get to her lovely weapons grade naquadah...

I felt Vala was introduced poorly and hated her arrogant attitude this episode. When Daniel hit her, the "You hit me" response she gave felt like she was implying "How dare you hit a girl!!". I think Daniel had a right to hit her regardless of her gender.... did she just expect him to feel happy for the fact that she stranded all his Earth buddies on a nonfunctional (at the time) ship in the middle of nowhere with less than perfect life support? GEEZ.
                That was kind of her attitude in the whole episode... and then when Daniel found she was lying about her background... that was just the last straw for me.

I really hope that her character in season 9 won't continue to be like she was in this episode because I couldn't stand her arrogant cocky "I'm gonna steal your ship and maroon your friends, oh and you should like me" attitude....

As for the humor, the hiccuping got old after a while but it was good the first couple of times. I liked the opening scene with Hammond and Jack and the whole chair thing....

But besides that, there wasn't really much for me to like in this episode.... and I probably won't be watching it again for a long time.

Sorry if I offended anyone with my opinion but that's only what it is... an opinion.

Comment

I have a quesiton did they go back for the weapons grade naquadah. Because that was alot there and then the mission wouln't be a total waste for them.

Comment

Originally posted by SmartFox
                    I have a quesiton did they go back for the weapons grade naquadah. Because that was alot there and then the mission wouln't be a total waste for them.
                    I seriously doubt it. If the Goa'uld didn't take or destroy it, then if those alien dudes actually survived they would have taken it back with them to probably find some other buyer.

Comment

Originally posted by Albion
                      I was expecting PU to have a serious tone to it, and then I’m suddenly hit with the reality that it’s all fluff
                      This point has been made by several posters who disliked this episode. Isn't it a little unfair to blame TPTB for your misinterpretation of what the episode would be about? Why are they to blame for the fact that you thought it would be a serious episode and it turned out to be light-hearted fun? Why would you expect it to be a serious episode in the first place? It's definitely not a given or in the contract, that I know of.
                      Silly me for thinking that I had the freedom to have expectations about a show’s episodes. I’m still hoping one day to see SG-1’s musical episode. (I can’t wait to hear Teal’c sing. ) I’m pretty darn sure that’s not in the contract, but every time I tune into an episode, I have hopes that maybe this is the one, yet I’m disheartened every time.

I’m not blaming tptb for having an off-beat episode. I’m blaming them because it was an off-beat episode that sucked, imo. Yes, I was hoping for the show to have a serious tone going into it because I was hoping for good things from CB’s character. Yet I get the sex kitten. Yeah, Vala was using that to try to manipulate Daniel at first and then sort of laid off the act and moved on to other things, but honestly the sex bit to her character didn’t get me started off on the right foot with her. And I loved CB’s character in Farscape. Imo, this episode just gave folks, who think SG-1 is turning into Farscape, ammunition. I still don’t see it happening, but this episode didn’t help.

I think I’m more peeved over the fact that it sucked period than I am at the fact that it didn’t turn out to be what I expected. Though, I don’t know why I continue to hope for the best. I kept saying to myself that the second half of the season would be better, and I still have hope for the last several episodes starting with Reckoning (yet with warning lights and caution tape around Threads), but I’m disappointed at the fact that I was disappointed with this episode because a) it was supposedly “Daniel” centric (but that wasn’t really the Daniel I enjoy) and b) it had CB in it.

So maybe I was left wanting serious after the “funny” just wasn’t that funny nor in particularly good taste, imo, and the characters were totally out of character for the most part. I’m still going to harp on the catfight as the object of my objection that most did me in for this episode. Note to writers: leave slap-stick out of Stargate. Yikes! I think I’d rather watch an endless loop of the “kiss” in Grace than that again.

And once again, I have to roll my eyes at those posters telling us that Atlantis is a better show than SG1 these days. <sigh> A word in your shell-like, folks - Atlantis is in its first season! Trying to compare two shows, one in S1 and one in S8 is like comparing apples and oranges. Ergo - you can't. A show in its eighth season could be the greatest show on earth and it still won't measure up to one in its first.
                      Ummm……there are plenty of shows in their first season that are total garbage, and the 8th season of SG-1 still puts them to shame. Not every show’s first season is as enjoyable and entertaining as Atlantis’s first season has been. Even SG-1’s was not quite as good. And yes I know they’ve had 8 years of practice going in to Atlantis, but still you'd think if SGA can be that good with the same group of writers, then why can't SG-1 still be. They may need to exert a little more brainpower when it comes to creating stories for SG-1, but supposedly they still have plenty of good stories left to tell according to JM.

I’ll continue to proudly say that I’m enjoying Atlantis more than SG-1. Just because SG-1 is in its 8th season and SGA its first is no excuse for the quality of SG-1 to decline. Yes, SG-1 is easier to criticize because I have greater expectations for the show since it’s been around longer while SGA is laying its foundations, but that’s no excuse for the writing to get sloppy or complacent.

Atlantis has all the advantages here. New characters for the audience to get to know and a fertile writing ground for the writers to fill in the backstories of. New worlds and locations to explore. New villains to get to know. The list is endless. There's just no way that SG1, in its eighth season, can capture that spirit of new adventures, just starting out, no matter what it does.
                      Granted SGA has advantages because it is new with a new galaxy to explore, while SG-1 is bogged down with mostly the same enemies and storylines, but it doesn’t mean they can’t still have an adventurous feel to them or heaven forbid, some suspense.

By this point, its designed to appeal not to those looking for new characters and worlds to explore, but those wanting to adventure and have fun with characters they've grown to love and feel comfortable with.
                      That’s the problem. They aren’t quite the characters that I was once proud of. In PU, several characters (Daniel, Hammond, Reynolds) were just not the characters I know and enjoy. Just because the episode was funny is no excuse for allowing them to be so out of character. Other more fun episodes at least didn’t interject AU characters in for the real ones. And that’s why those episodes are still so fun and way more believable. I’ll just skip my criticism of how they’ve altered several of the main characters in the serious, back to reality episodes. Yes, I expect the characters to grow and change because they aren’t living in a vacuum, but at least the writers could show a little more respect for them.

Wait till Atlantis is in its eighth season and then make a comparison between the two. It would be both fairer, more logical and definitely more appropriate.

I can practically guarentee though, that those whining about S8 of Atlantis 'just not being the same anymore' will be the same people now telling us how it knocks SG1 into touch.
                      Seeing as how I don’t have a crystal ball, I’ll try and hold off on guaranteeing anything. I may be dead by the time S8 of Atlantis rolls around, so maybe I should just go ahead and get my “whining” in now before it’s too late.

BTW, I don’t wish ill will anyone who enjoyed this episode. I’m glad you got enjoyment out of it. Wish I could have said the same.
                      IMO always implied.

Comment

While some others had critisized CB's character as being "sex-crazed" and other things, I still got a kick out of her, if only because the type of women Daniel was used to were either gentle (Sha're) or intellectual (Sarah Gardner) types. Anyone else dealing with a "fruitcake" like Vala would have been knocked off balance. The sexual innuendos did go overboard, though.

Comment

Is it just me or is that one of the funniest fight scenes in all stargate?

Vala: You no we could just have sex instead
                          Vala: Are we done?
                          Daniel: I am
                          *Kiss*
                          Daniel: Your a fruit cake

ROFL
                          Griffin: You aren't Spanish, are you?
                          McKay: Oh yes! Of the Barcelona McKays!

Steam Asgard Commander of the Teal'c

http://www.youtube.com/partcontinuum

Comment

in all stargate?

how about all time
                            gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
                            so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
                            love Torri

Comment

well i didnt want to over emphisize it lol but yeah all time lol
                              Griffin: You aren't Spanish, are you?
                              McKay: Oh yes! Of the Barcelona McKays!

Steam Asgard Commander of the Teal'c

http://www.youtube.com/partcontinuum

Comment

Originally posted by Steam
                                Is it just me or is that one of the funniest fight scenes in all stargate?

Vala: You no we could just have sex instead
                                Vala: Are we done?
                                Daniel: I am
                                *Kiss*
                                Daniel: Your a fruit cake

ROFL
                                Funny?! FUNNY?!!! It's funny because a five year old could have written better dialogue than this. Horrible. Completely, friggin horrible.

Comment

Working...
                                X