Prometheus Unbound (812)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kes
    I didn't think it was homophobic - just a little silly. They were trying to go for humor in this episode and this potentially dramatic moment was transformed into a less-than-serious scene because of Reynold's balking at giving ole Gen.Hammond mouth-to-mouth.
    exactly. it was silly. it was funny and they played for the cliche. just like vala whacking danny in the jewels with the fire extinguisher and the cat fight and the pulling of hair.

they were going for camp, and the stereotypical m/m hesitation on the mouth to mouth was just that. it was played for laughs
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I saw the ep. Not really good. Meh.
      "...smart, funny, exciting, touching..." - Newsday

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
        any digs at homophobia aside, most men balk at basically frenching another man.....especially when that other man is thier boss

I can see jack reacting the same way if it were teal'c or daniel who needed teh mouth to mouth...sam for that matter too. remember how he sorta cringed in foothold at the idea of digging under janet's shirt to get the imager?
        But, if Hammond wasn't breathing, then Reynolds should have started CPR imediately. He should have yelled at someone to get over there to do the chest compressions--or he could have done them himself and a second person do the mouth-to-mouth.

I just can't imagine ANYBODY (anybody who knows how to do it) balking at giving someone mouth-to-mouth if they aren't breathing on thier own. There just isn't anything funny about potentially letting someone die.

Everyone at the SGC has to trust their life to thier fellow soldiers/civilians and that includes CPR. It should be an automatic reaction when you see someone laying there not breathing.

Somehow I can't see Jack and Teal'c standing over Daniel or Sam, arguing about who's going to do the chest compressing and who's going to the 'kissing.'

(I didn't think him cringing in Foothold was funny, either )

Dana Jeanne
        Click here for the latest news on Michael Shanks

Michael Shanks Online

Daniel Fanfic Archive ~ My SG-1 Scribbles ~ My Pros Scribbles

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
          exactly. it was silly. it was funny and they played for the cliche. just like vala whacking danny in the jewels with the fire extinguisher and the cat fight and the pulling of hair.

they were going for camp, and the stereotypical m/m hesitation on the mouth to mouth was just that. it was played for laughs
          That's probably my problem then I didn't find this funny or campy, hense my 'upset' with the not-mouth-to-mouth.

I guess I have a boring sense of humour!

Dana Jeanne

Michael Shanks Online

Comment

Originally posted by Dana_Jeanne
            That's probably my problem then I didn't find this funny or campy, hense my 'upset' with the not-mouth-to-mouth.

Dana Jeanne
            to me the whole episode was camp. from hammy stealing jack's chair to doctor hiccup to the daniel/vala catfight

it was space race without the announcers and reminded me of the other guys in a way

everything was played for a laugh or part of a gag
            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Forgive me if someone has already brought this up, but the mouth-to-mouth scene could have been poking fun at something other than male homophobia. Isn't there a tradition of joking about Jack's revival techniques after Daniel "coded" in The Light? Isn't there a standing fandom Joke about slapping Daniel around as CPR?

I regard "comedy eps" as a safety valve for the writers: it gets all the self-parody out of their systems so they can feel creative about what they do the rest of the time. There's also the fact that the X-Files got its Emmy for a comedy ep, and that's cast a strange shadow on the world of syndicated TV ever since. In any event, comedy eps don't seem to be for the fans: to my knowledge, the fan response is usually mixed to negative, and most prefer to see comedy integrated into the drama/action.

If we start from the premise that comedy eps let the writers laugh at themselves, then we should probably accept that fan reaction is part of their world. That's why I think the mouth-to-mouth scene was a reference to The Light rather than any general comment on male homophobia.

There were probably more homages packed into PU (I'm getting a laugh out of the acronym, too) than most fans even realize. The part where Vala is crushing Daniel's head with her thighs reminded me of Bladerunner and another film with Gary Oldham (I forget the name). The thigh-crushing thing was almost iconic in the early 1990s. Also, a friend just pointed out that when Daniel was crushing Vala's head on the computer screen, he was probably quoting Due South.

In any case, this wasn't the worst comedy ep Stargate's done, and I'm glad the writers got it out of their system. I will certainly watch this ep again because it introduces a terrific character, Vala.

Later,
              Graculus
              Last edited by graculus; 24 December 2004, 09:25 PM.

Comment

Oh ... my ... god ...

Vala.

I'm in love.

Comment

Originally posted by Albion

So, my take would be, Daniel zatted her because he just wasn't prepared to listen to that crap, because he knew she was lying, it was just another attempt at manipulating him, and just one more of her tricks to get herself out of trouble. Hence the eyerolling and shaking of the head after he zatted her - as though he couldn't believe she'd actually tried that one on him after all she'd done and did she really think he was that dumb and naive?

Albion
                  I think you are right about it and that Daniel zatted her was one of the redeeming things of this episode for me.

I must say that "Prometheus Unbound" makes me fear for this show. Is that Stargates future :20 episodes of sex talk, slapstick violence and bad jokes?!?

Comment

Originally posted by Callimaco
                    Oh ... my ... god ...

Vala.

I'm in love.
                    me too

Comment

Originally posted by dove0709
                      Guess whether you like this one depends on your sense of humour. Well it wasnt my type of humour and I found it almost embarrassing in places.

Never seen CB before, but sorry I thought her acting was poor and it rubbed of on MS, who seemed to spend most the episode pulling funny faces.

Even Hammond didnt seem in character to me ...he was far too 'jolly' at the start.

Only good point was seeing DSD looking so well.
                      I have seen Claudia Black on Farscape. IMO she was better in this show. (played a kind
                      of extremly agressive no-nonsens marines type of soldier...Ripley(from "Aliens") on drugs or something like that. But for that kind of role (sexy "fruitcake") she is the wrong actress.

I hope the writers will go back to the drawing board and tone down the Vala character for season 9 very much. Because another episode like "Prometheus Unbound" I can´t stand. Than I could have watched "Tripping the Rift" (at least this show was MEANT to be nothing more than a bad joke).

Comment

Dana Jeanne
                        Well, if not liking this scene means you have a boring sense of humour, then I must have one too! I agree with everything you have said in your posts about this. I didn't find it in the least bit funny. In fact, I feel that a lot of the "humour" in this episode is incredibly childish. Perhaps if I was an adolescent male I would have been LMAO, but unfortunately I am a woman in her *ahem* 40's and this was not my kind of comedy!
                        sigpic

Comment

Claudia Black on Vala:

"Vala was a lot of fun. I did my best to beat the daylights out of Michael Shanks, and he was a very good sport. She's sassy. She's intelligent. She's manipulative. She's very hard and mercurial. She does what she has to [to] survive, so it's very hard to tell what the real core of Vala is, and I'm hoping that if they do write her back in again that that will be explored.

"I've not played a character like [Vala] before. That was the appeal of doing it. She's a real piece of work. It's quite honestly very hard to tell if she's an ally or a thorn in their side. For the sake of the drama in this particular episode she seems to be a thorn in their side, but it's quite ambiguous, and that's what I loved about it. She's constantly teetering on that ambiguous edge. It was nice to push that. I asked [director] Andy [Mikita] on the phone when I accepted the role how far I could push that, and he said, 'Go the full mile.' So it was, creatively, a very playful environment

I think Claudia did a fantastic work!
                          Last edited by valaCB; 25 December 2004, 03:42 AM.

Comment

The funnies episodes of SG-1 IMO.
                            "Love is not for life, it's for one week only" Wass

“You have to stay in shape. My grandmother, she started walking five miles a day when she was 60. She's 97 today and we don't know where the hell she is.” Ellen DeGeners

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'.” Homer Simpson

“It took me fifteen years to discover I had no talent for writing, but I couldn't give it up, because by that time I was too famous.” Robert Benchley

“What is it with McDonald's staff who pretend they don't understand you unless you insert the 'Mc' before the item you're ordering? It has to be a McChicken burger...a chicken burger gets blank looks. Well, I'll have a McStraw and jam it into your McEyes, you f**cking Mc******!” Billy Connolly

“Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? ...He's a mile away and you've got his shoes.” Billy Connolly

Comment

Originally posted by dipsofjazz
                              Well, if not liking this scene means you have a boring sense of humour, then I must have one too! I agree with everything you have said in your posts about this. I didn't find it in the least bit funny. In fact, I feel that a lot of the "humour" in this episode is incredibly childish. Perhaps if I was an adolescent male I would have been LMAO, but unfortunately I am a woman in her *ahem* 40's and this was not my kind of comedy!
                              SoTHAT'S what my problem is! I'll be 48 in two weeks. Whew. For a while there I was thinking there was something seriously wrong with my humour button and it's just that I'm OLD!

Dana Jeanne

Michael Shanks Online

Comment

SoTHAT'S what my problem is! I'll be 48 in two weeks. Whew. For a while there I was thinking there was something seriously wrong with my humour button and it's just that I'm OLD!

Dana Jeanne
                                NOW I'm LMAO! Yes, I guess that's it...we're too old to appreciate the "humour" of the "new" Stargate! Maybe it's good that we are "oldies"!!!

Now, where's that remote control button???
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X