Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skydiver
    mmhm, good point.

maybe they have alkash simulators at the sgc???

ooh, did anyone else crack up at reynold's balking at giving hammy mouth to mouth??

ooh, and another question, my version of the show didn't show hammond on the teltac. was that just missing or did they not show the general going to get the crystals?
    The VCD rip was flawed Had a few skips in it, the whole "god speed" scene and Hammond on the Tel'tac. Fixed in the Xvid.

Don't bust me for talking filesharing now

Comment

I also belive though, that at the end when Vala was asking Daniel what he was going to do with her, she said that she was going to tell him something and he zatted her, preseumably because he was pissed that she'd lied (though also possibly because he didn't want the others to see that someone had gotten under his skin).
      I assumed that she was going for the traditional, cliched, "Look, Daniel, I know we've been enemies and all, but truthfully? I really do like you and I was just fooling around, I'd never, ever have really hurt you blah blah..." in an attempt to save her butt now that she was captured and it was game over. An appeal to his sympathies in order to reduce whatever punishment was coming her way. This is the cliche for most TV characters in this situation. The villain always tries this one at least once. Especially if the protagonists are of the opposite sex.

So, my take would be, Daniel zatted her because he just wasn't prepared to listen to that crap, because he knew she was lying, it was just another attempt at manipulating him, and just one more of her tricks to get herself out of trouble. Hence the eyerolling and shaking of the head after he zatted her - as though he couldn't believe she'd actually tried that one on him after all she'd done and did she really think he was that dumb and naive?

Albion
      Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

Guess whether you like this one depends on your sense of humour. Well it wasnt my type of humour and I found it almost embarrassing in places.

Never seen CB before, but sorry I thought her acting was poor and it rubbed of on MS, who seemed to spend most the episode pulling funny faces.

Even Hammond didnt seem in character to me ...he was far too 'jolly' at the start.

Only good point was seeing DSD looking so well.

Comment

Vala rocks!!! I'm a huge Claudia Black's fan (discovered her on Farscape over 4 years ago) and I think she is great in "Prometheus...". I can hardly wait for the next Vala/Daniel's meeting in Season 9.

Comment

ooh, did anyone else crack up at reynold's balking at giving hammy mouth to mouth??
            Actually that annoyed me, surely Reynolds is more professional than that. I really can't see him refuse to save someones life just because of some mild homosexual overtones to the method of doing it.
            ooh, and another question, my version of the show didn't show hammond on the teltac. was that just missing or did they not show the general going to get the crystals?
            Your version was missing it.Aldso did anyone else notice the dual way nature of he rings in this episode? When hammond ringed over the crystals Reyonalds ring over to the Al'kesh to get him. First time i thing we've seen the rings do this on SG-1 (But it was a major thing in the movie)
            sigpic
            Banner By JME2

Comment

Originally posted by Albion
              I assumed that she was going for the traditional, cliched, "Look, Daniel, I know we've been enemies and all, but truthfully? I really do like you and I was just fooling around, I'd never, ever have really hurt you blah blah..." in an attempt to save her butt now that she was captured and it was game over. An appeal to his sympathies in order to reduce whatever punishment was coming her way. This is the cliche for most TV characters in this situation. The villain always tries this one at least once. Especially if the protagonists are of the opposite sex.

So, my take would be, Daniel zatted her because he just wasn't prepared to listen to that crap, because he knew she was lying, it was just another attempt at manipulating him, and just one more of her tricks to get herself out of trouble. Hence the eyerolling and shaking of the head after he zatted her - as though he couldn't believe she'd actually tried that one on him after all she'd done and did she really think he was that dumb and naive?

Albion
              I took it the same way. I thought that she was going to pull something and Daniel didn't want to deal with it. He had started out going to Atlantis and ended up fighting his own little war and didn't feel like putting up with anymore of her bs, so he zatted her.

Boy, one of those things could come in real handy with psycho ex-bf....

Comment

Albion
                <nods> That's how I saw it, too.

I really do like Vala. She very much reminds me of Jack. Maybe that's why I saw great chemistry between her and Daniel. She's had a (quite literally) tortured past and she deals with it through sexy wit and fisticuffs. And I imagine she was quite the rascal long before she was taken as a host.
                Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
                "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
                One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
                resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
                confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
                A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
                The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess
                  <nods> That's how I saw it, too.

I really do like Vala. She very much reminds me of Jack. Maybe that's why I saw great chemistry between her and Daniel. She's had a (quite literally) tortured past and she deals with it through sexy wit and fisticuffs. And I imagine she was quite the rascal long before she was taken as a host.

if the story's true. for all we know, she made it up to get sympathy

she does show some promise as a character. at least she's no shy retiring mouse of a character and the humor was one thing that made the episode interesting
                  Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Crazedwraith
                    Actually that annoyed me, surely Reynolds is more professional than that. I really can't see him refuse to save someones life just because of some mild homosexual overtones to the method of doing it.
                    If this hadn't been established as a comedic episode that would have been a horrible scene. As it was I just kind of rolled my eyes at it. I think they could have left that one out. Of course I didn't know why Hammy was passed out since I also missed the scene where Hammond went and took the crystals.

I watched this episode again and enjoyed it a lot more the second time around. Hiccup girl didn't get as old (although I still hate that scene where she says "damn it to hell" and dives under the table). Novak is actually kind of an entertaining character. The cat fight was still cringeworthy but it seemed to go faster the second time around.

I also just ignored all the "this doesn't seem like Daniel" stuff that kept cropping up in my head and went with it. If I view it as MS homaging Crichton or Hans Solo it's all pretty funny. Having some wine while you watch this episode helps a lot!

*nods head* That's what I thought too. Daniel just got her to unlock the codes and he wasn't taking any chances that she had another trick up her sleeve. And of course she has plenty of tricks, judging by her ability to escape at the end of the episode.

Originally posted by CraizedWraith
                    THe Kull disruptor works bu nullifing the Anicent fountain of life force that enables the biological part of the super-soldier to live. Vala's anot a Kull and was given life via the usual method rather than being grown and zapped.
                    Oh, okay. I was wondering if that suit was stolen by Vala from one of Ba'al's Kull soldiers and perhaps Ba'al had found a way to nullify the Kull disruptor.

I'm really looking forward to seeing Vala back. I think it could be a fun 5-story arc if they really flesh out her character. I'd sure like to know her real story. I'm also not so concerned that they're going to try and recreate the John/Aeryn romance using Vala/BB's character (wish they'd name this guy!!). I really can't see that after seeing Vala's character. I'd be surprised if Daniel or new guy fall for her in any real way.
                    Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

Originally posted by Crazedwraith
                      Reynolds obviously wasn't refusing to save Hammonds life, as he was inches away from giving mouth to mouth when Hammond woke up. I think what everyone is missing here is that these two gentlemen are MILITARY! It would certainly be a bit ackward, thus making you pause for a moment, to give CPR to a three star general.

There are rules in the military, like why Jack&Sam can't be together, that prohibit such things. Obviously not giving a man who is unconscious CPR, but it would certainly make you think twice. Especially somebody of Hammond's stature.

I guess what I'm trying to say is give the man a break, he hesistated. He didn't refuse, he hesistated and was rather excited when the General woke up by himself. As I'm sure many of us would have been, had we been in the same situation.

Ace
                      "Good Morning Dr. Silberman. How's the knee?" - Sarah Connor 1994

Comment

any digs at homophobia aside, most men balk at basically frenching another man.....especially when that other man is thier boss

I can see jack reacting the same way if it were teal'c or daniel who needed teh mouth to mouth...sam for that matter too. remember how he sorta cringed in foothold at the idea of digging under janet's shirt to get the imager?
                        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I like the episode, it was funny.
                          sigpic
                          The Edge of the Night; contains love from the heart and soul, outpouring love to one and love one country.

Comment

any digs at homophobia aside, most men balk at basically frenching another man.....especially when that other man is thier boss

I can see jack reacting the same way if it were teal'c or daniel who needed teh mouth to mouth...sam for that matter too. remember how he sorta cringed in foothold at the idea of digging under janet's shirt to get the imager?

Well, he wasn't frenching Hammond (and I doubt if he had been written like a soldier he would have thought of that, even if his mouth did come in contact with -Jaws music- another man!!!) he was doing mouth to mouth. Are most men really that juvenile and silly? Especially when the man is their boss?

"If I don't do this, my boss might die, but eww! I have to put my mouth on his!" What was he afraid that Walter and Dr. Novak were going to say he had cooties?

And, Jack hesitating to open Janet's shirt was different. He wasn't hesitating at performing a life saving procedure on her.

I would hope that even in his dumbest moments of cosmic giddiness, Jack would be able to differentiate between CPR and kissing someone. And, act like a soldier. I would have expected it of Reynolds. Heck, not even a soldier, but someone with the maturity of an adult. They are adults, aren't they?

Anyway, I can't believe that in all the time that these SG teams have been going off world, facing enemies, etc, the need to do mouth to mouth has never come up before. And, seeing as there are probably more men per team than women, the odds of a man having to give another man mouth to mouth are probably pretty good.

And, do people really see homosexual overtones in mouth to mouth? I would think sex or physical attraction would be the last thing on anyone's mind in that situation. It wasn't like they were doing a Madonna/Britney for crying out loud! Wouldn't the thought that someone could die pretty much cancel out anything else?
                            Last edited by Dani347; 24 December 2004, 12:44 PM.
                            I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

I didn't think it was homophobic - just a little silly. They were trying to go for humor in this episode and this potentially dramatic moment was transformed into a less-than-serious scene because of Reynold's balking at giving ole Gen.Hammond mouth-to-mouth.

If it had been a serious episode where Hammond might be close to death -- Well then those comedic hesitations and grimaces and eye-rolls between Reynolds and Novak and the other guy would have been out-of-place. As a viewer I'd think most of the SGC teams would be trained in CPR and first aid and wouldn't hesitate in responding to situations like that.

In an episode played for laughs it was okay. I didn't think it was hysterically funny but probably some did, I guess. I mean we just had Daniel hit in the family jewels with a fire extinguisher. They weren't trying to homage ER here.
                              Last edited by keshou; 24 December 2004, 02:06 PM. Reason: typo
                              Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

Sorry I agree, I have to say I laughed in 2 places, and then cringed for the rest, what a sorry way for a great show to go.

They could have at least let Sg-1 go out with a bang rather than limping pathetically to a close with leads from another recent and as successful sifi taking over the reigns....says it all pathetic

ps, I am ashamed to be saying that since I love sg-1 and think Atlantis is awesome but come on guys, think less on money on more on reputations here, please !!

Originally posted by Lunar
                                The good:

1. General Hammond!! I really enjoyed his dialogue in this ep. Playing Jack at his own game.
                                2. Daniel. Brilliant in this ep! Funny and well in character.
                                3. Walter got to play the hero! Hoorah!

The bad:
                                1. Unfunny comedy with Novak. Those hiccoughs smacked of a joke gone wrong...
                                2. VALA. Crikey. s9
                                Spoiler:
                                this woman is supposed to sustain my interest for 5 eps in season 9?!
                                I'm sorry, I found her vapid, sex-crazed and unengaging. Were all those sex/naked jokes really necessary? I'll admit to cracking up over the first one when Daniel thought she was a super soldier... but fcol! Did anyone else find themselves cringing when she tried to strangle Daniel with her THIGHS! NOT one of my favourite eps of this season, which is a crying shame. Daniel deserved better, his character felt wasted in this cardboard-flimsy, trying-too-hard-to-be-funny plot.
                                Just MO, of course, feel free to challenge!
                                "OMG he is Kirk"

Go McKay bringing sarcasm to the masses

http://www.david-hewlett.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                                X