Gemini (811)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShardsofGlass
    And I have to ask about Sam. Does she ever show emotions? She seemed to take everything in stride, which just seemed really strange to me. It's like watching Mr. Spock or Data.
    Umm.. Her emotions were the cause of the whole storyline.. and possible destruction of the galaxy.

Comment

Originally posted by ShardsofGlass
      That said, was it me, or was Gemini an incredibly boring episode? Almost nothing seemed to happen, other than a lot of standing around and talking. Tealc virtually had nothing to do. Jack was gone for the most part. Daniel was missing. This thing moved at a snail's pace.
      Wasn't just you. I tried to keep watching but it was putting me to sleep. I kept waiting for something interesting to happen and I finally gave up about forty minutes in or so. Guess I missed a twist at the end? Oh darn. It just wasn't worth any more of my time plus I couldn't buy Sam being that gullible. Maybe it's because I'm not a shipper? Was it shippy? Jeez, I guess I was too bored to even notice. Or care.

Maybe if they would have had poor Daniel who was obviously trapped in the elevator for the entire episode banging on the door trying to get out in the background. That might have added a little something.

What a yawner. This is one of my "way boring--never bother watching again" episodes such as Prodigy. MHO, of course.
      Last edited by Jonisa; 21 January 2005, 06:55 PM.

Comment

You know I kind of liked it better the first time I saw it - in spite of Carter looking gullible beyond belief. I thought Replicarter was kind of interesting. But it sure didn't hold up to a rewatch.

It really was paced very slowly and it's very obvious that all the extras and the budget were over on Atlantis. I ended up mainly concentrating on the shades of lipstick Replicarter and Carter were wearing. I think they were the same, although RC's looked a little glossier. Guess they have Max Factor everywhere!
        Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

Oddly, I seem to be one of the few people who seemed to like this episode, in part due to the fact that I truly love watching Amanda Tapping.

I'm not really one to tear an episode apart. Either the episode does something for me, or it doesn't. One can't expect that after eight years and over 150 episodes that every one is going to be a stroke of genius. The fact that the show has lasted this long is in it self a great accomplishment. I try to just be entertained and to envision where the writers might be going with with the storylines.

I watch television one night a week, because even when the episode is what most would be considered a real stinker, SG-1 is still better than 90% of the crap on the tube anymore.

Now I don't like everything about this particular episode but I totally think the way it was handled allows for a much bigger confrontation later. Yes, Teal'c could have blown her away in the beginning, but that would have made for a very short episode. Yes, Carter allowed her feelings to cloud her judgement; a decision that will eventually come back and bite her in the a$$. But none of the SG-1 members are infallible. Even as uncaring and immoral Jack can appear at times (as with his decision to betray Fifth ), Jack has allowed his feelings to cloud his decisions( as was the case in allowing Nirrti to leave the SGC inorder to save Cassandra ). We all know he regretted agreeing to do that later.

In the end, Carter knows she has really screwed up and I think that any confrontation between these two characters will only be that much more intense due to what's happened. I don't believe Carter will allow herself to be so manipulated in the future.

Overall, I think Amanda Tapping did a wonderful job playing both parts. I found myself asking Carter what the hell she was doing while at the same time cheering Tapping for the great work she did with Replicarter. I think her portrayal of Replicarter is one of the more evil foes the SGC has had. She really does come across as cunning, deceptive and unremorseful.

Probably the biggest issue I did have with this episode had to be with the choice of clothing. When I first saw the sleeveless shirt I questioned whether a real Lt Colonel would be walking around dressed like that, but then I saw Teal'c wearing the same shirt. Don't get me wrong, they both looked great in them I just found them to be distracting. Perhaps TPTB believe they need to become a bit more sexy to attract new viewers. I've noticed this year especially, the promo shots have been showing much more skin and putting the guys into positions to show off their pecks and Amanda into positions to show off her breasts. For awhile I actually wondered if Amanda Tapping had augmentation done due to the fact that she never seemed to be so buxomy in previous seasons, but it appears they may just be having Carter wear clothing that's just much more enhancing.

Just my two cents

Comment

Originally posted by CUL8TRJACK
            Probably the biggest issue I did have with this episode had to be with the choice of clothing. When I first saw the sleeveless shirt I questioned whether a real Lt Colonel would be walking around dressed like that, but then I saw Teal'c wearing the same shirt. Don't get me wrong, they both looked great in them I just found them to be distracting. Perhaps TPTB believe they need to become a bit more sexy to attract new viewers. I've noticed this year especially, the promo shots have been showing much more skin and putting the guys into positions to show off their pecks and Amanda into positions to show off her breasts. For awhile I actually wondered if Amanda Tapping had augmentation done due to the fact that she never seemed to be so buxomy in previous seasons, but it appears they may just be having Carter wear clothing that's just much more enhancing.

Just my two cents
            same here.
            It's just odd
            ok, they'll toss the regs out the window with what they wear, cause those t-shirts are NOT regulation....but they stick on other things like hair and frat regs?????

what? they can sex up the air force but have to play by the rules for everything else????

as to gemini
            this episode was made to serve one purpose, to develop replicarter and set up a later episode. plain and simple

they had to accomplish two things, get knowledge about replicarter out there to the sgc, and disarm jack's super gun so that the reps would again be a threat

adn it served it in spades and we got the extra bonus of tons of sam, lots of sam/teal'c and an episode that actually fit in with the continuity we'll see next week in PU
            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Say! I didn't notice on my copy, but when Siler is prepping the MALP, the puddle is a practical effect, done by rear-projection instead of a CG composite. Coolness. If I ever got a chance to visit the set, I'd hope that it would be a day when the practical puddle was in place.

-IMF
              "There's not a little boy born who wouldn't tear the world apart to save his mummy... and this little boy can." --The Doctor.
              "The plastic tips at the ends of shoelaces are called Aglets. Their true purpose is sinister."--The Question.
              BAD WOLF!!!

Comment

Just my two cents
                Yeah, the change of clothing did annoy me a bit. She didn't used to wear those revealing tank tops and sleeveless numbers. Neither did Teal'c that much either, now he's popping out of his shirts. If TPTB feel they have to sex up the show, something must be terriby wrong. I never watched the show because I wanted to see anybody's skin, I watched it because it was interesting.

I had the sinking feeling around S7 that AT was donning a push up bra, but that could just be my imagination. Fact is, you want to be "one of the guys" as she put it in Hathor, (or was that Fraiser? ) you gotta mingle - that means a dress code. That's why I'll never understand why in real life, the Army or Air Force, One of 'em, is letting their women get free breast augmentations. Like they need them. This is war, woman!! Suck it in and get in line!!
                TEAM SG1 LIVES

Comment

This is the secod time I've seen it, and I was really hoping that seeing it on TV rather than my computer would improve it. It didn't. I found it just as boring and silly as the first time. I'm really tired of what the writers have turned Carter into.

Dana Jeanne
                  Click here for the latest news on Michael Shanks

Michael Shanks Online

Daniel Fanfic Archive ~ My SG-1 Scribbles ~ My Pros Scribbles

Comment

I thought this episode was boring aswell, they need to start going after the Gould and kickin' some RRRs.
                    So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains,
                    And we never even know we have the key.
                    Already Gone---------
                    The Eagles-----------

Comment

Originally posted by Icemancmd
                      What was that bum excuse they had in the begining to have Daniel not be in the ep? Someone want to remind me? Thanks.
                      The excuse they used was that he was going to be on the Prometheus trying to reach Atlantis.

5th Season of Supernatural Premiering September 10th!
                      Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by Icemancmd

What was that bum excuse they had in the begining to have Daniel not be in the ep? Someone want to remind me? Thanks.
                        they were obviously taping this and Promie unbound simultanously because there is zero sam or teal'c in that one. and hey, thor was in it, and last i knew, MS did thor's voice
                        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jonisa

Maybe if they would have had poor Daniel who was obviously trapped in the elevator for the entire episode banging on the door trying to get out in the background. That might have added a little something.
                          I agree. I can see them using this ep to set up things to come, but I couldn't believe how DUMB Sam was to let RC have access to the base computers. Didn't they learn anything from Linea in 'Prisoners'?

Proud Member-Hussies Union, Local # 69

Comment

I'm watching it again in the hopes that there would be something this time to help explain Sam's gullibility but, alas, it's not meant to be. I'm still baffled, dumbfounded, and disapointed. I'm usually not so harsh in my judegements of episodes but I really hate what they've done with Sam in this one.

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                              as to gemini
                              this episode was made to serve one purpose, to develop replicarter and set up a later episode. plain and simple

they had to accomplish two things, get knowledge about replicarter out there to the sgc, and disarm jack's super gun so that the reps would again be a threat

adn it served it in spades and we got the extra bonus of tons of sam, lots of sam/teal'c and an episode that actually fit in with the continuity we'll see next week in PU
                              I agree that is was a setup to make RC the new big bad. They also managed to get Fifth out of the way. And I don't mind them trying to get the knowledge and being outwitted by RC. But they sure made it easy.

And Carter just didn't seem like Carter in this one. She seemed dazzled by her duplicate. The thing I disliked the most was Sam letting RC do the hand in the head thing.

But Amanda did do a nice job in the two roles. There was one scene I noticed this time around where both Carter rushed to either side of the monitor. Amanda managed to cock her head exactly the same way in both shots. And clearly she had fun throwing all the guys around.

Well hopefully this will all have a big dramatic payoff down the road and make this all worth while.
                              Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

Even as uncaring and immoral Jack can appear at times (as with his decision to betray Fifth ),
                                I don't think what Jack did was either uncaring or immoral. Forgetting for a moment the fact that the ep showed that Jack was not happy about having to have made that decision, he did what he had to do at the time. In Gemini, Sam said I (and others) have been saying all along: Fifth had the emotional maturity of a teenager. And a teenager with the hots for Carter. And there was no way to insure that he would not have a hissy fit when he found out that Sam didn't want him--in fact, he *did* have one, in a way--and turn Replicators loose on Earth. Some fans keep saying that Fifth was acquiring "humanity". No he wasn't. Contained in the word "humanity" is the word "human". Fifth may have been sentient, but he was alien, and we have no idea how he really thought. What he was acquiring was emotions, and that just made him more of a timebomb.

Jack had a choice: leave Fifth, or risk a planet of 3 billion people. He made the only choice he really could make. It was a hard decision, but Jack makes hard decisions. What we haven't seen yet is that Sam can make those decisions.

Just my two cents

Here, we are in complete agreement. It's uncalled for. In Endgame, we have Sam going on an op in jeans, high-heeled boots and a leather jacket, while all of the men are in combat gear. And it's only going to get worse, judging from Prometheus Unbound and the fact that TPTB will be gearing to bring in Farscape fans. While Farscape could be witty, it could also be very juvenile in its humor, and sexual innuendos and double entendres were big on the show.

J.
                                "He's an amazing man. After everything he's done, he's still modest. Quite self-effacing actually. He even likes people to think he's not as smart as he is. Bottom line, he's an incredibly strong leader who's given more to this program than any man has given to anything I can imagine."

Comment

Working...
                                X