Endgame (810)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brilliant, brilliant episode!

I loved Walter and the other technician. "Have you ever wanted to dial up the Stargate and take a look around another planet, just for a few minutes?" Walter is very, very serious about his job

The Asgard transporters were good. It finally explains why in Lost City Anubis didn't beam in 50 Kull Warriors to Atlantus or why he didn't beam Jack into space And did anyone else notice that in 5 of the 10 episodes in the first half of Season 8 there's been Asgard transporters? New Order Part 1, New Order Part 2, Affinity, Covenant and Endgame...

Also...

WE SAW INSIDE AN AL'KESH!!!!

Finally But now I'm in withdrawl...

Comment

I have read with great interest all of the opinions posted on Endgame. I agree with many of them.

1. the episode was good, but I think it missed greatness. It just didn't have enough action. Most of the episode was tight and technically well done, but it was not as well thought out as it could have been. It seems like no one is asking questions at the 1st script reading.

A. The ending was not as exciting as it could have been. Most of you have objected to Jack not making the "hard choice" to attack the ship, but I'll give him the benefit of waiting for the team to pull off "the mission" before firing. Lord knows, Hammond gave SG1 extra minutes from time to time. My opinion of how it should have ended was that Carter and Daniel should have blown up as much stuff as they could---a few charges of C4 would have taken out the missles, the gas, and the computers that had the planets listed for destruction. The ship could have gotten away, but its power to commit mass murder would be gone, at least for the time being. This would also have provided more action.

B. One thing most of you objected to was Daniel being an inquisitor. It didn't seem to bother me. I just saw him as Jack's personel choice for getting to the heart of the matter quickly.

C. Carter's clothers were a problem for me also. Just not military. No wonder she didn't set any C4 charges---she couldn't carry any because of her "club" clothing.

D. I'm glad this was not a cliff hanger to be continued in January.

E. The humor was good. Enjoyed all of it including the "I'm glad I'm not the one who has to tell the President....".

2. In my opinion, for this episode to have been great, we needed to see SG1 as "winning" in the end. The only thing they did was maintain the status quo--they got the gate back, but after terrible things had been done. They survived, but they didn't advance the knowledge about the Rogue element. We still don't know anymore about the structure or leadership than we did before. The bad guys got away with the ship and equipment in tact. Not very competent of our favorite team. Carter getting zatted too quickly to do anything. Daniel not being able to do more without getting caught. There were only three people on that ship that we saw. Surely one of our two heroes could have been "lucky" and done more damage before capture. Most of this sounds like a writing problem to me.

3. I would have to rate this episode a five or six. This season is just not living up to what TPTB have done in the past. I don't mind the new elements that they are trying to introduce, but they are not doing it well, either because of budget or lack of creativity. While I generally liked this episode, I won't watch it again. Just nothing there worth a second viewing.

Lest, I incur the wrath of those who feel that negative opinions shouldn't be voiced, I will remind everyone that this is MY Opinion and it need not influence others to either watch or not watch. I orginally got into this forum because I wanted to know what other fans thought and how they felt about story arcs. I have been sadden to see that so many of of you see things basicly the same as I do. I was hoping that I had a warped perspective, but in reality, I find that I am in the mainstream on these shows.

Comment

Originally posted by gange57
        First off, who ever makes the trailers is doing a huge disservice to Stargate. Anyone who saw the trailer knew the Stargate was going to be stolen. That makes the opening scene very anticlimatic. What could have been a "Holy Crap" moment in Stargate history just fizzles because too much is given away in the trailers.

WOW!! Hind sight is 20/20!!! I would have enjoyed that shock!! LOL However, I can't imagine how else they could have trailered this one.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam_o_Neill
          We still haven't see Sam's engagement ring which is weird seeing as when you agree to marry someone you should be really happy and want to wear the ring all the time....
          Sam's catsuit jacket aside....

... rings with raised settings can sometimes get in the way when you are doing gritty work. It wouldn't surprise me if she had it on her dog tags instead of on her finger as that is what many military personel that i know of do when they are not in 'office' jobs.

It's not a regulation thing (you are allowed to wear one ring on each hand, or were as of 1995, when I last had to worry about such things), it's a practical and safety consideration.

Comment

Howdy Campers,

So -- Endgame -- hmmm. Ehh -- all right of an episode. I would have chosen to put Sacrifices as the summer finale -- but I just liked that episode better. My two cents:

1) O'Neill came across as a little -- off. Maybe he needs a vacation from his desk -- like a trip through the wormhole.

2) The leather suit Carter wore during the capture -- sorry -- it just struck me as "not Carter." Maybe I'm just used to seeing her in BDUs.

3) Daniel the Interrogator -- not a bad concept. I liked the coffee joke.

4) The vial of ground Goa'uld scene was cute. Had to have been all RDA improv there.

5) The Trust agent that Teal'c kills looked a little like "Blade" to me -- long jacket, the walk -- I was waiting for vampires for a minute there.

Overall, a good show. Kept my attention even though it had very little of the man I idolize so much. It was one of those "convenient" shows -- every time they needed someone to appear (such as Teal'c at the end) he did. It worked though -- I'll buy it. Can't wait for the next installment in a few months (ugh, months -- all well. Someone already said thank goodness for DVDs. And correct they are!)
            Bander

"LTS" -- Mr. Richard Dean Anderson

"I only understand one percent of what she says half the time." -- Col. Jack O'Neill

Comment

Originally posted by Bandersnatch
              1) O'Neill came across as a little -- off. Maybe he needs a vacation from his desk -- like a trip through the wormhole.
              Yeh, O'Neill has been detached for most of season 8 so far
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mio
                Yeh, O'Neill has been detached for most of season 8 so far
                I've really felt like RDA was sleep walking through every episode after Zero Hour.

Comment

Re: Sam in civvies. As I said earlier, I have a problem with the impractical leather outfit. But to give the writers the benefit of the doubt: do I remember correctly the team going on these sort of raids in civilian clothes before? Are they trying to look like undercover cops (or in the case of the nameless guys, a SWAT team?) The military has restrictions on its ability to act within US borders, doesn't it? Maybe the idea is that if anyone would spot them they'd think they were on a drug raid? What do the rest of you think?
                  Love the comment on there being no room for any C4 in Sam's "club" outfit.

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
                    Re: Sam in civvies. As I said earlier, I have a problem with the impractical leather outfit. But to give the writers the benefit of the doubt: do I remember correctly the team going on these sort of raids in civilian clothes before? Are they trying to look like undercover cops (or in the case of the nameless guys, a SWAT team?) The military has restrictions on its ability to act within US borders, doesn't it? Maybe the idea is that if anyone would spot them they'd think they were on a drug raid? What do the rest of you think?
                    Love the comment on there being no room for any C4 in Sam's "club" outfit.
                    The problem being that she was hanging around with two dozen men in black outfits, body armor, and automatic weapons. If you want to fit in with that group and not stand out, than that wasn't what to wear. Civilians don't hang out with guns strapped to their hips. She could have easily gone with what everyone else was wearing and looked like a police officer herself.

Comment

Originally posted by Major Fischer
                      The problem being that she was hanging around with two dozen men in black outfits, body armor, and automatic weapons. If you want to fit in with that group and not stand out, than that wasn't what to wear. Civilians don't hang out with guns strapped to their hips. She could have easily gone with what everyone else was wearing and looked like a police officer herself.
                      Yep--that's why I guess I ultimately can't accept my own proposed "out" for the writers.

It's too bad too. This is the sort of unnecessary thing that is jarring to the audience. Put her in cool civilian clothes when appropriate. As someone else said, it's not like AT needs the help to look good. Of course, civilian clothes--civilian situations leads us down another road full of potential problems that I won't get into...
                      Despite my seeming to harp on this, I did generally enjoy the episode.

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
                        Despite my seeming to harp on this, I did generally enjoy the episode.
                        I don't think it's a matter of harping on things. I don't think anyone is saying "SG1 Sucks because Carter was dressed badly." But I do think that it important when things do jar the audience to point them out and discuss why they don't work, so that perhaps TPTB have a chance not to repeat the mistake.

I see it more as helping the show get better, than simply complaining to complain.

Comment

Finally, I've seen Endgame!

I kept watching this thread get more and more replies and my fingers were itching to click on the thread and start reading but I managed to stay away. Yay for me. And yes, I quite liked this one. Not excessively so, but enough to watch it again and still enjoy it (there are a couple of other episodes in this season I don't feel the same way about).

That opening scene was a lot of fun. Even though I was spoiled for the disappearance of the 'gate it was still very amusing to see the look of utter disbelief on the faces of Walter and "That Other Guy Whose Name I Don't Yet Know But He Was Kind of Funny So I Hope He Sticks Around".

I know the coffe joke has been mentioned already, but I loved it too, so it gets another nod from me.

Daniel: "Wait a minute! You were getting coffe?! (beat) I'm joking, I'm joking, this is a joke". Ha!

And then the scene right after that, with Jack:

Daniel: "I hate to be the guy that has to explain this to the President", earning him a glare from O'Neill, which makes him take a slight step back.

I found it sort of amusing that the guy who had taken the money only perked up when Daniel pointed out that he could keep the 2 million, but didn't make a sound when he was told that he would be protected from The Trust.

In my mind it sort of went like this: "Save my life, you say? Yeah, that's all right, I guess. Whatever. Money? I get the money? All right, as long as I get the money. Staying alive, yeah that's cool, but you'll make sure I keep the money. Right? Riiight?"

I'm kind of curious as to *why* Sam told The Trust guys about that particular planet not being worth the effort of launching the poison. What was so special about that planet? If she was telling the truth, why would she even say something, why not let them waste a rocket on a planet were there would be no casualties?

"Battle stations!" Oh, dear.

As for the 'Daniel interrogating' - scenes, well, I liked it, therefore I accept the "out of water" element. And I tend to agree with previous posters who said that it would be natural for him to assume some more responsibility around the base, after 8 years.

I liked the confused "Teal'c?" from the captain, near the end.

I'm also tremendously grateful that we didn't get a cliffhanger, because I don't think I could have managed two of those. The Atlantis one was more than enough, thank you.
                          Shin ~ def. A device for finding furniture in the dark.

Comment

I can't remember how they explained the whole Tok'ra poison thing, so I don't know if this was already answered:

If the poison only affects symbiotes shouldn't the host be able to survive with the goa'uld or tok'ra just dying inside them and being absorbed.

I can understand maybe the Goa'uld wanting to take down their host with them. But the Tok'ra host in this episode died along with her symbiote. Does the poison affect the host somehow too?

Comment

Originally posted by Jolinarsam
                              I can understand maybe the Goa'uld wanting to take down their host with them. But the Tok'ra host in this episode died along with her symbiote. Does the poison affect the host somehow too?
                              It could be a matter of the exact method which the poison kills the symbiont. Since we know that the symbiont's blood itself is toxic to humans/Jaffa. It also could very well have been some sort of shock to the host's system.

Comment

To be completely (and somewhat brutally) honest I thought endgame was awful. Boring plot, no ship :: puts on a mit to catch the hell :: ... and what was with the catsuit?! I'm still having a problem figuring out the reasoning behind that one... aside from questioning the functionality of an outfit like that in a tactical situation. I apologize if this sounds kinda harsh but I really, really miss Carter.

Also, regarding that scene with Teal'c and that Tok'ra girl (no I can't remember her name and to be honest I'd kinda like to forget her existence), am I the only one who thought her acting was less than adequate?
                                Last edited by Capt. Rivet; 19 September 2004, 06:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X