Affinity (807)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dolby1000
    Am I the only one who really is just going with the flow here? What happens, happens. If you don't like it, then write your own story.
    Darn right. It's one thing to just not like the show anymore or complain about weak episodes. But demanding that the storyline head in a certain direction (or not) is quite another. This story is told to us. What happens in it is not for us to decide.
    Last edited by Ugly Pig; 26 August 2004, 01:49 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

Originally posted by lapislazuliswan
      Also, I might add that (though it's not appropriate for this thread) , I'm not watching Atlantis. Why watch a higher bugeted, sexed-up version of something you've loved if the magic ain't there?
      Atlantis is neither higher budgeted nor "sexed-up". Seems you have some prejudices towards the series you ought to set aside. Give it a chance, you might be pleasantly surprised.
      Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess
        Oi! Can some kind soul tell me how many posts on this thread are episode related? Or am I to believe that most of the 380 posts in this thread are about the dreaded Sam and Jack business?

Aren't there already tons of ship/anti-ship sections you could take this to?
        It's been moved to the ship discussion thread, Gracie.

Sally
        sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
          It's been moved to the ship discussion thread, Gracie.

Sally
          Thank-you!

No, really, thank-you.

About Daniel giving the correct translation to that mess of pixelated squiggles...(I saw it on squinty - was it Ancient or Goa'uld? I'm guessing Ancient.)

Did he consort with Jack before going to meet these guys? Is that how Sam found out that Daniel was missing, because he didn't contact Jack at the appointed time? I'm going with that assumption, for now. (And I expect a terrific missing scene fic between Daniel and Jack, explaining how, exactly, Daniel got around whatever the baddies were using to watch his every step. )

However, since he did give them the (assumably) correct translation, I wonder if the fact will be revisited in the upcoming ep, Threads? Or has Daniel grown past the need to blame himself for everything? I hope that he has. So far season 7&8 Daniel is a stronger, more assured human being. I like how this Daniel has grown, especially knowing his emotional, physclogical roots.
          Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
          "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
          One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
          resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
          confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
          A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
          The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

About Daniel giving the correct translation to that mess of pixelated squiggles...(I saw it on squinty - was it Ancient or Goa'uld? I'm guessing Ancient.)
            Ancient. Someone has actually come up with the Ancient alphabet and translated the message! Kind of a behind the scenes joke - it supposedly says...."ACTUAL WORDS ARE HARD TO DECIPH SO THISLL WORK". See this thread.
            http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=3490

Did he consort with Jack before going to meet these guys? Is that how Sam found out that Daniel was missing, because he didn't contact Jack at the appointed time? I'm going with that assumption, for now.
            Dunno. I expected he would have come up with some sort of plan, but it wasn't made clear that he just didn't go off on his own.

However, since he did give them the (assumably) correct translation, I wonder if the fact will be revisited in the upcoming ep, Threads? Or has Daniel grown past the need to blame himself for everything? I hope that he has. So far season 7&8 Daniel is a stronger, more assured human being. I like how this Daniel has grown, especially knowing his emotional, physclogical roots.
            I like season 7&8 Daniel as well. He seems much more comfortable being Daniel, if you know what I mean, especially in season 8. I think the story arc *required* Daniel to give the bad guys the correct translation. So, yes, look for a follow-up to this, but much sooner than Threads.

Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

I haven't read all 380-some replies, but you know that part near the end where the members of The Trust disappear so they don't get caught by the soldiers who were about to take over the facility? The sound effect that was given to the teleportation, which I expected to be a "ring" device, actually sounded quite Asgard...
              Thor: The Asgard would never invent a weapon that propels small weights of iron and carbon alloys, by igniting a powder of potassium nitrate, charcoal and sulphur.

Comment

Originally posted by Avalar
                The sound effect that was given to the teleportation, which I expected to be a "ring" device, actually sounded quite Asgard...
                Yup, that was brought up, many times, in the 380-some replies

Comment

Originally posted by Avalar
                  I haven't read all 380-some replies, but you know that part near the end where the members of The Trust disappear so they don't get caught by the soldiers who were about to take over the facility? The sound effect that was given to the teleportation, which I expected to be a "ring" device, actually sounded quite Asgard...
                  Agreed, and so begs the question(s)...
                  The Trust may well have the Asgard technology, do they have a ship in orbit, or can the "beam" be relayed over land?
                  The Trust may have gotten to keep some of the ill gotten N.I.D. gains in "Shades of Grey"? If so they have made incredible progress in adapting the technology.
                  What else does The Trust have "up their sleeve"?
                  Could The Trust have engineered the whole incident in "Covenant", to try and acquire the resources of Colson's conglomerate for their own ends? While they took advantage of it...you would think they knew of Alec Colson's disposition to reveal the truth...and caused the clone to be created KNOWING what he would do...and having already had his second by the throat...well it was just a matter of manipulating the SEC, etc.
                  Having seen the Affinity and THEN covenant...it seems to fit.

What do you think?
                  Last edited by Hohenzollern; 28 August 2004, 10:56 AM.
                  "Let's make it TEN. Ten's a nice...round...number..." -- Morty

Comment

Oi! Can some kind soul tell me how many posts on this thread are episode related? Or am I to believe that most of the 380 posts in this thread are about the dreaded Sam and Jack business?

Aren't there already tons of ship/anti-ship sections you could take this to?
                    To be honest, I don't know. But to warn you, yes it did develop into a Sam/Pete/Jack series 8 debate.

Your best bet would be to read the beginning. Did you see the episode?

I could give you my thoughts on it if you'd like

Wendy
                    Hugs
                    sigpic
                    Made by the lovely Jakie

Comment

this was a pretty bad episode but the hotness of that chick kinda makes up for that IMO

Comment

I know this is kind of late, but I’ve been without general Internet access for a week since the night this aired. Read most of the thread, but kind of zoned out around page 6 (and that’s with 50 posts per page).

So far, I rate this as the episode at the bottom of the barrel for this season. So far. There may be another lurking down the road. For me, “Icon” held that spot but was quickly replaced. “Icon” was just boring for me because of all the talking by the non-SGC characters. “Affinity” was just blah. I don’t S/J ship, and I do like Pete, but more Stargate please and less with the personal lives of the characters.

Originally posted by nugglebugget
                        Poor old stargate & blast doors are gonna rust from no use.
                        They just might, but Siler still appreciates the Stargate and is there to spray some WD-40 on the bearings, hinges, etc.

Teal’c getting an apartment. Good for him, but the mention of it in “Lockdown” was character building enough for me. I didn’t need this cliché episode to elaborate anymore for me. They could have tossed the Daniel/Teal’c apartment scene (I did like it) into some other episode, tweaked of course and minus the stupid neighbor, so we could get a brief feel for how things were going for Teal’c. The key word being brief. I think they could have come up with some other way to work in the “Trust” story line since this is obviously going to be part of an ongoing story arc. This was the only part of the episode that I found interesting. I know it’s rehashed NID stuff, but somebody has to be the bad guy on Earth. Feel bad for Teal’c though about having to come back to the SGC. They give him freedom, only to take it away. Why in all these more recent years hasn’t Jack or Daniel offered up the opportunity for Teal’c to live with one of them rather than be stuck in one room on base for 8 years? Gen. Hammond probably could have pulled some strings. They are friends, and Teal’c could not possibly be the roommate from h***, unless they have some aversion to candles. Plus that solves the government’s problem of him needing a “babysitter.” They both own houses now so space shouldn’t be an issue, and him living with one of them shouldn’t draw any more attention than when in “Chimera”
                        Spoiler:
                        they have the big gun battle in the middle of the street and the truck blows up. How did they explain that away? Maybe Daniel had to move again.
                        Just a thought.

As far as Pete goes, the guy’s being strung along, and I think it makes Carter look bad. Never should have introduced poor Pete in the first place. It would have saved him and me the grief later on. And far as Jack’s “I wouldn’t be here” comment, I didn’t construe that as anything but Jack saying if Charlie were still alive, we wouldn’t be having this conversation because I wouldn’t be here. Simple as that.

Originally posted by Shipperahoy
                        The martial arts training montage was a little too Karate Kid for me. I kept waiting for Mr. Miyagi to show up. "Wax on, Wax off."
                        LOL. The first thing I thought of was the movie “Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story” with Jason Scott Lee. I was half expecting his participants to increase in number every shot. Then Teal’c could have had enough of a following to go into business for himself and tell the government to go stick it, but Teal’c is too nice a guy to go that.

Originally posted by Positively Kanyon
                        I don't want to sound so negative, but the show is called Stargate SG-1 not Days Of Our Lives. Don't flame me, this is my opinion, but this episode bored the absolute crap out of me. 1 out of 10.
                        Hey, don’t compare this episode to Days of Our Lives. At least when I tune in to watch Days, I’m expecting practically mindless dribble. That’s some compelling drama on Days with Jennifer hanging off the side of a cliff for like what is it a month now. Can’t remember since the Olympics are on. Nevermind the Emmy winning dialogue. Roman: “These binoculars are deceptively powerful” as they watch one of the planes waaaayyyy out in the ocean or way out in the jungle crash. Don’t remember which crash inspired this wonderful dialogue. I don’t tune into Stargate to watch this kind of dribble, but this episode came close. Daniel, the coffee cup that sacrificed itself so that others may live, and the Trust sub-plot saved it from that depth. Still trying to think positive though about the episodes to follow. Just my opinion. Oh and poor Daniel in the crosshairs and getting zatted. How much more can the man take? Are they trying to desensitize me to some awful future event?
                        IMO always implied.

Comment

No, it seems to me Atlantis SUCKS BIG WAMPUM. That's all. And you cannot tell me they're not spending more on sets, miniatures, makeup and costume, because I don't damn believe it.
                          Why does Jack drive an F-250 Super Duty? Does he have to pull a horse trailer too?

Comment

Originally posted by meimei
                            1) Sam's wardrobe, well, I know AT likes pink, but that jacket looked like something she picked up in "1969" or was left over from 1969!

2) As far as the stalker line, I don't know whether to be insulted or flattered.

1) It goes with that top that Amanda was wearing at Gatecon (except that was nice)! Yeah, I did think the big shoulders were a little too much (and I don't know about the US/Canada but I've seen *way* too many people wearing those jackets in England to like them anymore. Heck, even Primark are making them!) but I liked those jeans!

2) That's what I thought! My initial reaction was 'Hey! That was because of us!!! Yay, someone's listening!' but then I thought about it and it did seem kind of flippant. And, most of all, the stalking issue wasn't dealt with. To me, that's not dealing, that's pushing it to the side! The jury's still out on that one.

The first 1/3 of the episode I seriously thought I was going to be sick. I don't like Sam and Pete together at the best of times but the Voyager-style "mushy stuff" (if you've seen the Tom/B'Elanna proposal, you'll know what I mean!) was way OTT. I'm still of the general opinion that the PTB are just messing with the shippers so that the ending will be much more appreciated (and trust me, after this rollercoaster, it will be!)

And, in the words of O'Neill, "When your back is against the wall and it seems like there's no tomorrow just remember..."
                            Spoiler:
                            Sam's been engaged before and look how that turned out! She gave back the ring *because* she found out what he was really like!
                            Sam and Jack... Still the best romance on TV in years!

My fanfic http://www.fanfiction.net/~drawntotherhythm

Comment

Hello ALL

If anyone knows about that music at the end of the "SG 8x07 Affinity", can you tell me what that was? I'm assuming that it's part of a song...but I couldn't recognize it...

"Artist - Title"

?ebym Poczu? Móg? Jak Si? Czuje Bóg

Comment

thought this was a very cool episode. i loved the openin scene with teal'c and the tough guys.

Comment

Working...
                                X