No announcement yet.

Icon (805)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just rewatched the first couple of minutes. I noticed something funny: When the stargate first opens in the museum, you can hear someone mumble "Is that part of the exhibit?"...
    Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

Caught that. Great line. hehe

Was it just me or were there bullet holes in the wall behind the tourists? Might have been pockmarks. Or I need to clean my glasses again.

Comment

I really like this ep. I though it had a lot of great moments. That opening scene was very nice.

I never got the impression that Daniel had any romantic feelings for that woman. He was just being the nice, sweet guy that he always is. He was grateful for her help and kindness. He was concerned for her people and felt guilty that it was their arrival that cause the trouble. I think if I was in her shoes I would feel something for Daniel. He was being open, honest and hopeful when her whole world had just exploded. I though she was going to tell her husband that she loved Daniel but she didn't. Now that would have been too much for me. She felt afraid, confused and alone and Daniel was there for her. It didn't bother me at all. I thought it flowed naturally from the story and the characters.

Now what bothered me was that the scene where we see Daniel get injured. I thought he injuries were a bit much considering what happened. Maybe it looks worst on the TV but on my computer screen, it didn't seemed bad enough to have cause Daniel the injuries he had.

I love that Tealc is speaking more. It was great to see Jack so concerned for Daniel. Their conversation over the radio was priceless.
        sigpic
        Sig by the Multi Talented KASS. : )

Comment

Originally posted by AgentX
          I thought he was more of a religionist Stalin.
          To me, he seemed a mixture of three people, Stalin, Hitler, and Bin Laden.
          Shep: I can't hear you threatening to suck the life out of me 'til you hit the button on the radio.

Soldier (In Russian): Are you Russian spies?
          Daniel: Niet.
          Jack: Daniel!
          Daniel: What? He asked if we were Russian spies and I said no........oh.
          -1969 (221)

Comment

Just a few thoughts, probably none of them original, but I haven't read the thread yet.

This was one of those mostly-stand-alone episodes we get from time to time. I generally liked it, but...at best, it seemed formulaic for us "regular" fans. Maybe the casual or new viewer liked it more?

I liked the storyline. From an anthropological point of view, it's nice to see SG-1 go through the gate and really screw up and I think that's maybe what TPTB were focusing on. They aren't operating in a "prime directive" universe. The team does all sorts of things that upset the apple cart on other planets and I think we got a bigger glimpse of some of that than we've seen in the past.

Although Daniel was in it a whole lot, I didn't see a whole lot of character development. Not to say that there isn't anywhere for Daniel to go (development-wise), just that this episode isn't it. It could have just as easily been Sam going on one of her first commands and having it go totally FUBAR and I'm really glad that didn't happen.

It did seem that there was a lot going on in this episode, maybe too much. Entitled "Icon", there was little demonstration of the fanatacism of a people on the brink of war. Just a few scary words from the leader. Combined with the war, civil war, mythology-shattering appearance of people through the gate and the sidelines of Daniel's convalescence and the backstory setup...I don't know...I could follow it, but it just seemed like a bit much for 43 minutes.

I enjoyed the performances of the characters Leda and Jared, although their alienation from each other wasn't immediately evident. I loved the Goa'uld code-talk! For a minute there, I thought O'Neill was going to go through the Gate, but it made sense that he'd have the aliens come to him. (OTOH, the machinations of getting a fanatical believer to step through the "portal of the gods" without a little humility is a little... ) I was half hoping that O'Neill would tire of them and send Yu over for a visit.

I get the feeling that TPTB were trying to say more about SG-1 and their impact than I got, but all in all, it was an okay ep for me.
            Urgo: I wanna live, I wanna experience the universe and I wanna eat pie!
            O'Neill: Who doesn't?
            - Urgo, Stargate: SG-1, Episode 3.16

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."
            - RDA, Stargate SG-1: The Lowdown

some assembly required, batteries not included, action figures sold seperately
            once done, cannot be undone...
            brought to you by Anthro Girl, Grand Pooh-Bah of the SFA

Comment

From the "Do not believe all the spoilers you read" file:

I'm currently mostly spoiler-free this season. The most I've been reading are the one-sentence blurbs from GW and/or tv guides. Regarding early spoilers about "Icon" on GW (now that I've read them): The quote from JM is probably taken out of context. It was posted on a Japanese message/chat board in the middle of a conversation about Amaterasu and in response to someone asking if Daniel spoke Japanese and amongst a few "we love Daniel"-type statements. I believe JM meant the two statements to be considered independently, not that Daniel spoke Japanese in "Icon".

Also, is anyone else irked about the SciFi promo bit for "Avatar" at the end of "Icon"?
              Spoiler space for "Avatar", even though it is the only spoiler I know...

The announcer said something like "Teal'c is trapped in a video game..." My husband, 100% spoiler- and fandom-free that he is, almost upchucked his drink at that one. "A video game???" he said. I said, "No, it's a simulator." Saying "video game" made it sound so stupid!
              Urgo: I wanna live, I wanna experience the universe and I wanna eat pie!
              O'Neill: Who doesn't?
              - Urgo, Stargate: SG-1, Episode 3.16

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."
              - RDA, Stargate SG-1: The Lowdown

some assembly required, batteries not included, action figures sold seperately
              once done, cannot be undone...
              brought to you by Anthro Girl, Grand Pooh-Bah of the SFA

Comment

Originally posted by Anthro Girl
                Spoiler space for "Avatar", even though it is the only spoiler I know...

The announcer said something like "Teal'c is trapped in a video game..." My husband, 100% spoiler- and fandom-free that he is, almost upchucked his drink at that one. "A video game???" he said. I said, "No, it's a simulator." Saying "video game" made it sound so stupid!
                More spoiler space for Avatar, just to be safe...

"Trapped in a video game and running out of lives..." is what he says.

My husband must have repeated that line a dozen times in the next half hour. He was laughing his head off at it.
                ~bri~

Comment

Spoilerness for Avatar

Yup, "Trapped in a video game and running out of lives" is what he says... cause I've been banging my head off the wall since the announcer said it. See, unfortunately, Icon is the first episode I got one of my friends to watch of Stargate (actually, I kinda begged her to let me watch it) and she liked the episode, until the preview for Avatar came on which she laughed hysterically at and is now not planning to Stargate ever again. Oh well, it's easier to hook people on older episodes anyway, I'll try that.
                  Why yes, I am aware that I am too sexy for my cat
                  RIP Stargate SG-1: The iris may be closed, but the gate will always be spinning, lighting the chevrons in my heart

And to the Sci Fi Channel...

Comment

OK, here's a question adn one that's been bugging me for a while, and was really evident in ICON (which as I said earlier I really liked the ep) but what bugs me is that through this episode (all times after the "war") Daniel never had his glasses yet never showed any issues with his vision. Like when Leda takes the wrap off of his eys, he is able to see clearly (at least that what it looks like)...this isn't the first time they do this, Daniel often ends up without his glasses or just takes them off and he never seems to have problems with seeing....so I'm wondering what is his vision problem, are they basically just reading glasses that he use to wearing all the time.....

Comment

I think maybe he just forgot them, haha... But i never really payed much attention to that.
                      Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

I noticed that too norriski, my guess is that he just dealt with it, his vision probably isn't too bad.
                        Rocky

Comment

I mean maybe if he even brought his glasses in his bag or something, i think it would have been destroyed or something.

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isnt this the first episode with an off world gate that has a moving inner ring?

I freaked out when I saw that.
                            FOR PETE'S (no, not THAT Pete) SAKE, THE ABOVE POST (if offensive in anyway) WAS MADE IN JEST!

Comment

Yah, we had a little discussion about that, i think it is, i was mistaken before that it wasn't though

Comment

Originally posted by littlemigueljr
                                Yah, we had a little discussion about that, i think it is, i was mistaken before that it wasn't though
                                Yeah, you were. And remind me, who is it that corrected you?
                                Rocky

Comment

Working...
                                X