No announcement yet.

Zero Hour (804)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I, too, go back and read previously posted comments after I've posted my own. Usually.
    Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

Same here. I try to post my comments before reading everyone elses, with apologies, of course. Mine are never original.
      Urgo: I wanna live, I wanna experience the universe and I wanna eat pie!
      O'Neill: Who doesn't?
      - Urgo, Stargate: SG-1, Episode 3.16

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."
      - RDA, Stargate SG-1: The Lowdown

some assembly required, batteries not included, action figures sold seperately
      once done, cannot be undone...
      brought to you by Anthro Girl, Grand Pooh-Bah of the SFA

Comment

Originally posted by Anthro Girl
        Same here. I try to post my comments before reading everyone elses, with apologies, of course. Mine are never original.
        Whaddoya mean, "try"? It's very easy if you do what I do: I don't even open the thread before I have my comments all typed up.
        Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

Originally posted by Ugly Pig
          Whaddoya mean, "try"? It's very easy if you do what I do: I don't even open the thread before I have my comments all typed up.
          Sometimes I suffer writer's block, okay?!
          Urgo: I wanna live, I wanna experience the universe and I wanna eat pie!
          O'Neill: Who doesn't?
          - Urgo, Stargate: SG-1, Episode 3.16

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."
          - RDA, Stargate SG-1: The Lowdown

some assembly required, batteries not included, action figures sold seperately
          once done, cannot be undone...
          brought to you by Anthro Girl, Grand Pooh-Bah of the SFA

Comment

Zero Hour and Zero roles for actresses. Some of those roles could have been played by a woman, but all speaking parts, except for Sam, were for men. It's been a bad trend lately. Sam is the only female scientist, there seem to be no female archaelogists (Dr. Lee is a jack of all trades and doesn't seem very useful), and there are no women in the control room or the gate room. (Yeah, they panned two women when they all showed support for O'Neill - big deal). It was an okay episode that will probably grow on me, but I'd like to see women have a more active part on this show.

Comment

Since Sam is a pretty high in command now, as well being a scientist, i would think she is enough for me, haha. they probably just don't show the other women, there was another female scientist in Avenger 2.0, but i don't know, what makes it a bad trend?
              Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

There is a female docotor...and nurses...and I'll bet you can see some female officers runing around...

Comment

This was one of the funnyest on my season8 list I put my episodes in catagoreys. The lines are so funny, and Ba'al, Jack telling him we can't dial out are you kidding me. You might as will tell him here we are come and get us. , but waite earths got that Anubus "but killer ass gun" never mine.I don't know about you gals but,I don't think I can take to much of Jack in dress uniform, it dose take my breath away He can command me any time
                  Last edited by Chirp; 06 August 2004, 12:10 PM.

Comment

The last episode that had me grinning as much as this one did was Fragile Balance. Before that...hm, have to go back a few seasons. I really enjoyed it.

Originally posted by napa244
                    Zero Hour and Zero roles for actresses. Some of those roles could have been played by a woman, but all speaking parts, except for Sam, were for men. It's been a bad trend lately.
                    You know, you're right. They should do more female roles. There's a gap back at base (S. 7 spoiler in white)now that Frazier's gone . Off the top of my head, I can't even think of any other women besides Carter and the girl from Prodigy that have gone off world. Ok, and the Russian woman in Tomb... I guess there have been some, but few and far between.

Although, given the US bent toward women in combat units, I suppose we should be happy that any women get to go off world at all Those guys see way more firefights than any Navy SEAL ever would.
                    Last edited by Sicarius; 09 August 2004, 03:50 AM.
                    Fitness Buddies

Comment

Originally posted by Anthro Girl
                      - The "alien plant" looked like it came from the same nursery as the foliage in the Evolution "jungle"...complete with Dr. Lee, even!
                      If Dr. Lee is becoming a recurring character, he is going to remind me of McKay, (in a good way) a pain in the b***.

Comment

But the difference between Lee and Mckay, i've always liked Lee better
                        Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

I think the Hammond told him bit could also have been After he was approved but before Gilmore confessed. Except for the don't tell anyone remark...which could just have been Jack being glib.
                          Causality should not be taken lightly.

Comment

Not only is this my favourite episode of S8 so far (and to date I'm loving this season), but it has to rank among the top five favourite ever for me.

I don't think there was a single moment that I didn't like. Superb. Too many favourite bits to mention, I'll just content myself by saying it was inspired with all of the separate elements gelling wonderfully.

Loved the scene with the guys taking time to go offer a shoulder to Sam. I love that kind of thing, where they show they care about one another. And I just adore the penultimate scene between Jack and Sam. There were times in S7 where Jack seemed to have lost the spark with Sam. I often found him quite cold towards her and he seemed disinterested, even embarrased by her whenever she attempted to connect emotionally with him. How wonderful it was to see that glint of amused affection in his eyes again at the end of this episode. How I've missed that.

It was terrific to see Walter doing more than just sitting at the gate controls. And how wonderful that so far that's continued into the season. More of that please, if you're listening, TPTB. It was also nice to see more of Doctor Lee and his interactions with Jack were hilarious.

I was kind of disappointed that the aide left at the end - I was getting used to him, but then without him Walter gets more screen time, so I can't be too sad about his departure. <G>

Wonderful episode. And one I'll be revisiting often when I need cheering up!

EDIT: Just had time to go read previous comments. Re the scene with 'John' at the beginning. Yes, it wasn't explained very well, but he was the secret service guy doing the sweep of the base to ensure it was secure before the President set foot on it. Jack's comment about 'you do know this is the most secure base in the country' was him pointing out that such a sweep was pretty much superfluous and I guess a slight complaint that he was having to deal with something this useless on top of everything else he had going on. The secret service guy, of course, was having none of it. As they do. <g>

On the term Zero Hour - I spent the episode assuming it was counting down to the President's visit. I read a poster on one of the other forums comment though that it could also have been a reference to counting down to the zero hour of Jack deciding whether to resign or not. Which I kind of like too. Cute idea. So now I watch the episode and like to think it might be both of those.

Re the poster who wants to see the entire letter from Jack to Hammond. Me too! I want to know what the heck that reference to papercuts was all about for a start. LOL! And there's a line that begins that paragraph which seems to say "I miss being..." but the last word of the sentence is too smudged to read. Boy, am I curious as to what that one was. If anyone from TPTB is listening here - you could include a transcript of the whole thing on the DVD. <hint>

Albion
                            Last edited by Albion; 25 August 2004, 05:50 AM.
                            Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

This one rocked!

Really rocked!

Okay, now that I'm over my euphoria, I can proceed to the actual shredding...

Things that were good:

a. Davis and Jack interaction. It's about time we saw more of that guy! (My friend calls him "the guy with the peanut-shaped head.")

b. The plant. I swear, I will never, ever, ever look at my mother's English ivy the same way again.

c. Jack's sort-of resignation. Okay, I'm split on this. It was funny, and matched his character perfectly (the "just kidding" was a touch of genius, kudos to whomever thought that up")...but I was sort of sad when didn't resign. Yes, fine, I'm still in denial about RDA allegedly leaving at the end fo the season. Rejoin SG-1, darn it!

d. Ba'al. That guy is FUNNY. From my point of view anyway, but then I crack up everytime Apophis shows up again. Forgive me, for I dost sinned...and the ZPM hoax was good. I did NOT see that coming.

Things that were bad:

a. None off the top of my head...

Ah, well. That about does it for this ep.

Comment

I see what people meant when they said the Jack/Walter at the beginning was like Henry/Radar!!
                                Walter is very cool - why does he not get more lines?!? "Actually, he's not like other people." LOL!!

A little bit of Jack/Daniel banter at the briefing, that's always nice!!

Also good to see Dr Lee & Major Davis again.

Poor Jack, it must be really hard for him to watch his team have all the fun while he sits at a desk and does paperwork.

It bothers me a little bit that Sam doubts her abilities as a commander, but I think she'll get over that pretty quickly. It was nice to see Daniel & Teal'c trying to comfort her though...

Nice little speech by Col. Reynolds about Jack being tortured by Ba'al and how he, SG1 and everyone else on the base would not give up on someone in that situation.
                                I'm glad they did address, even if it was just a little bit, the fact that Jack was captured & tortured by Ba'al.

I did like the stuff between Jack & Ba'al. "Of course I dare mock you!!"
                                'Is it really wise to provoke him?' 'It's what I do.'

Jack's letter to Hammond was so sad...'the regret is not so much about the resigning part but the fact that I was deluded enough to think I had possessed even one iota of the ability needed to fill your sizeable and shiny shoes' Aww....poor Jack. And then 'Never mind' at the end of it...

I could have sworn I heard Jack's voice quiver when he was dismissing Col. Reynolds after SG3 came back SG1-less.
                                Then when he was loking at Teal'c & Daniel's names on their lockers, the look on his face was just heart-breaking.

Also, yay for Pierre Bernard!!

Nice little bit of S/J ship at the end too.

Great episode.

Comment

Working...
                                X