No announcement yet.

Lockdown (803)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My guess is that since they weren't able to make Anubis completely leave the ascended form, he would have retained some knowledge, but not nearly enough to be able to repair any knowledge or technological things he finds.
    Red counter: 14 Dings and growing.

Green (positive) JELLO donations are always welcome

Mckay: Oh my god, He IS Kirk...

Comment

Originally posted by VirtualCLD
      Yeah, I have a gripe about that. Why is it the Ancients wouldn't let Daniel descend with the knowledge he gained while ascended, but they allow Anubis to retain his knowledge?
      My theory:

With Nuby I don't think it's a question of "letting" so much as Nuby outwitting the Ascended. We are finding out more, in Atlantis, about just how the Ancients ascended. Not to spoil it for anyone, but let's just say that the old adage, "there's more than one way to skin a cat" comes to mind.

Nuby probably got kicked out for the same reason Daniel did: fooling around with the material world, but Nuby was in a better position to protect himself against the descension process.

Daniel was ascended by a frowned-upon cult leader who was treading veeery carefully just on the line of what the Ancients would tolerate. Since Daniel got to ascend without having to "read the manual" as Nuby (and, erm, others)had had to do, then when he got kicked out I figure he wouldn't have had a clue about how to keep his Ascended memories/abilities, either.
      Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
      "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
      One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
      resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
      confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
      A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
      The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
        We know that time-wise it has already been at LEAST a few months- likely more. She should have an established personality (within the context of the story) by now.

As for "asserting" one's self... Jonas did a pretty good job of establishing himself right off the bat and it would seem to me that if you want a character to be "accepted" then you should try and at least throw viewers a bone- something they can latch onto and say, "Hey, that's pretty cool of him/her." I'm not saying it should be shoved down our throats (which seems to be the usual tactic), but just a little something might be nice... something that can be built upon later.
        Okay, I *know* I'm way behind here but...

I agree with you.

Shadow, you okay? Do I need to get the smelling salts?

Yes, it's true, I agree with you. She should have an established personality, Jonas did and I liked him for it. Janet seemed established when she came on the scene in Broca. Her spark of personality came right through immediately.

As for the new doctor, well it remains to be seen. I know she had big shoes to fill but I wish they had given her a *little* more personality (okay, I would have settled for *any* personality). And the hair and makeup, well, I'm not going there. She seems to be a very pretty woman from her pics, it's like they uglied her up on purpose, oy!
        Marimba FBI - Video Surveillance Division
        Lemming #25 Frothing Fan Lemming

Vids by Marimba, Tamefarrar and Ruralstar!
        Big hugs to Ruralstar for the banner!

Comment

The thing with Jonas is that he felt responsible for what happened to Daniel Jackson and he felt obligated for going above and beyond normal procedures and socializing in order to make feel some self-worth after what he felt should have been him on the death bed and not Dr Jackson.

Comment

The point is, he had SOMETHING, even in Meridian, before the accident. And Janet had "something" too from the first moment we met her. Heck, even Luke managed to get in a sneer in his 30 seconds of fame. There have been other characters from whom we have seen flashes of individuality, no matter how small their actual role- that little Jaffa kid who karate kicked someone in that one ep stands out, too, and the poor bugger who kept smacking Teal'c with the door in WOO, but from Dr. Brightman, who has the potential to be fairly important (or at least has the potential to speak more than three lines) we get nothing. Or I got nothing from her, anyway.

From what little I've seen of Alisen in other places, I get the impression she likes to go for understatement, but she usually manages to get in a couple of quirks in the process. I just wish there'd been a little more to Brightman than what we got. She isn't just a doctor, she's THE Doctor and I'd like to be able to look forward to seeing her again.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy867
              The thing with Jonas is that he felt responsible for what happened to Daniel Jackson and he felt obligated for going above and beyond normal procedures and socializing in order to make feel some self-worth after what he felt should have been him on the death bed and not Dr Jackson.
              Yes, you're right here. What I'm mainly talking about is personality quirks--like the weather channel bit (that STILL cracks me up) or the uniform bit. Having recently rewatched Redemption, I remembered how much I really liked him from day 1. No doubt I was upset that Daniel died, just as I'm upset that Janet died but I have always liked Jonas (and I REALLY miss him), I thought he was a good sport and made a good addition to the show. I was really disapointed when they didn't keep them both in S7 but that is another thread...

Anyway, back to the personality quirks. Jonas's quirks came through almost instantly, as did Janet's in Broca. Just thought that the new doctor was a bit flat is all--still willing to give her a chance to improve and hopefully she will.

Comment

Originally posted by KorbenDirewolf
                Simple. the Ancients would step in if he'd attempted to use his powers to cause trouble. But since he choose to do it the old-fashioned interacting-with-the-material-plane way the Others couldn't interfere with Anubis. They only interfered with Daniel because he was using the powers...
                So the entire time, prior the demise of Abydos Anubis *never* used his powers?? The destruction of Abydos, wasn't that a weapon of the Ancients that Anubis used? So wouldn't that in fact have been using his superior abilities to an unfair advantage? I know, actually a moot point now.
                I just think that particular aspect really hasn't been explained all that well.
                Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

Well it was Dr. Brightman's first episode and she does have some rather large shoes to fill (actually they're probably very little shoes given Teryl's size, but you know what I mean). She did seem a little bland but I also think my opinion of the character is colored by the fact that she's replacing a beloved character who was around for seven seasons.

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

Now see, I liked Fraiser, but I wouldn't say she had a big impact on me and while her death was sad, I didn't find it traumatic. And when Jonas was brought in to "fill the gap", well... I sure didn't hold it against him. I loved him for being himself.

Comment

Now that I've read the thread, I just thought I'd put in my two cents for what it's worth...

Overall, I liked the ep in general--

Good use of RDA's time--got sick of the way he would just come in to snark, then leave in S7. Don't mind less screen time as long as it moves the plot. So far, so good this season.

Loved the "Who Shot Me?" bit, the eye thing had me ROFL!

As I've already said, I thought the doc was flat. And you're absolutely right, Shadow--she is the CMO, FCOL!!!! I think even McKenzie was more enchanting, just MHO. Not to say that she was bad--just a bit boring (even the hubs thought she was boring). I'm all for easing her in or whatever but how about an expression on her face? I guess she was going for "grave concern" but it fell a bit flat. Maybe she'll get better...

I was spoiled but I liked that it was Nuby. Cool Twist.

Don't agree that it was fast, I liked it timing-wise. I thought it was paced appropriately.

EXTREMELY glad to see "kick-butt" Sam back--I MISSED her!!!!!! Liked seeing the guys get whumped (gotta love that) but I'll save my opinions on that for the drooling threads...

Anyway, overall a good ep in general--REALLY looking forward to the return of Ba'al tonight!! Can't wait to see how Jack reacts!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TameFarrar
                        So the entire time, prior the demise of Abydos Anubis *never* used his powers?? The destruction of Abydos, wasn't that a weapon of the Ancients that Anubis used? So wouldn't that in fact have been using his superior abilities to an unfair advantage? I know, actually a moot point now.
                        I just think that particular aspect really hasn't been explained all that well.
                        Actually, if you remember, Anubis had used just the knowledge of the Ancients to develop the weapon, but in order to keep the Others away, he devised a way to use the "Eyes" of the major players of the System Lords to power the weapon. It seems like he can use the knowledge, he just cant throw lightning, etc.

Well if you remember Dr Weir from TLC, bit griped about her in Part 1 and how she seemed so one-dimensional, but after some time, people were wanting Jessica Steen back instead of Torri Higginson. So for Brightman, just give her time and see what develops.
                        Last edited by Andy867; 30 July 2004, 09:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Shipperahoy
                          Well it was Dr. Brightman's first episode and she does have some rather large shoes to fill (actually they're probably very little shoes given Teryl's size, but you know what I mean). She did seem a little bland but I also think my opinion of the character is colored by the fact that she's replacing a beloved character who was around for seven seasons.
                          the fact that she is "replacing" a character is why I was so happy she didn't pull my eye. I now know she is there, but nothing really grabbed me and that was ok. I too liked Janet, but I wasn't tramatized by her death.
                          The overall episode was very emotional for me, but the loss of Janet would have been trivialized to me if the new Dr would have come into the scene big and flashy.

I was already a bit annoyed that there WAS a new FEMALE Dr. my thought was if you needed a Female you should have kept what you already had. Teryl is a fabulous actress. ut I too thought that Jonas could have been worked into the SGC as well.

Anyway I go off an tangents Since she came into the scene quietly I can get used to her. So the next time she is on-screen and I won't resent the fact that she is replacing an actress I enjoyed and I can just enjoy the new character she is bringing
                          Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

Now see, I liked Fraiser, but I wouldn't say she had a big impact on me and while her death was sad, I didn't find it traumatic. And when Jonas was brought in to "fill the gap", well... I sure didn't hold it against him. I loved him for being himself.
                            Well, that is the point, after all--he WAS himself! Quirks and all from day one. As was Frasier IMHO. And several other characters. Chevron Guy, for instance. He never says much but I like him. He doesn't say much other than "Chevron 1..." but when he has lines, it feels natural.

BTW--if you read this thread again JM, PLEASE offer my sincere thanks to whoever gave Chevron Guy lines in NO! (Though I suspect it was you and PM )

Comment

Well, he was partially covered, anyway.
                              Not really. He was just kind of sitting there in the snow, appearantly frozen stiff. He'd only been there for a few seconds, though, so I think he'll get covered up nicely soon enough.
                              Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

Originally posted by Andy867
                                Well if you remember Dr Weir from TLC, bit griped about her in Part 1 and how she seemed so one-dimensional, but after some time, people were wanting Jessica Steen back instead of Torri Higginson. So for Brightman, just give her time and see what develops.
                                I actually liked Dr. Weir from the get-go. Her first interaction with Daniel (the phone thing) was cute. Wasn't keen on Tori in the beginning but the personality quirks of the character were there from the very first and that's what I'm getting at, I think.

Nothing wrong with the actress (though the hair and makeup were a bit school-marm-ish), I'm sure she's plenty talented or they wouldn't have hired her.

Just saying that I didn't think the *character* gelled that well. As I have said now several times, maybe she'll improve. I'm hoping she will. My first impression however, is that the character was a bit too crisp and formal--rather starched. In Broca (and I really don't like to keep drawing comparisons to Janet here because I have never expected her to be Janet), Janet was serious and professional but not as formal and stiff. Jonas, despite the awful outfit in Meridian, had a personality as well.

Quite frankly, she's not going to fill Teryl's shoes but I don't think any one expects that of her--it wouldn't be realistic. I'm not pining away for Janet (though I did like her and I do miss her). I understood the reasons for killing her--drama and all. I'm just saying that, if I am to like this character, I want her to be more in keeping with the rest of the SGC (a *not* so formal group) or at least make her an obvious "fish out of water" so I can enjoy watching her character develop along those lines.

Now that you've had your chapter of "War and Peace" for the day, I'll shut up

Comment

Working...
                                X