No announcement yet.

Heroes, Part 2 (718)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I watched Heroes Part 2 for the second time and have just got to say it's a high quality piece of writing. Even though I knew what was coming it still got me.

Excellent performance from Amanda Tapping.
    sigpic

Comment

Great episode, would have to be in my top ten without a doubt.

Comment

Just watched it, and I no idea that she was going to die which was good!(I was spoiler free)
        While seeing the episode I obviously knew jack wasn't going to die I just thought they were going to find some "miraculous" way to get him back, didn't cross my mind it was somebody else dead!
        And the tape thing it was very clever!
        Very nice episode!
        My blog:Nuno Barreto's Blog

Comment

It's been a while since I've seen this episode, but I just read the transcript to get ready for a fic I wanna write...and the transcript itself made me cry...

What got me the most was the realization that I know ppl who are out there, serving their country and risking their lives RIGHT NOW to ensure that we have the freedoms we so often take for granted...for me, that's kinda what Heroes was all about...
          My fanfics:http://evil_bad_evil.livejournal.com/3389.htmlMember of the Sisterhood of the Pantster Fan Fic Writers
          sigpic

Comment

This is an interesting episode. I dont think its up there with the best of stargate because i feel that the plot is too contrived, with janet going off-world, jackson the medic etc.

It also does not affect me emotionally in the same way as something like Buffy's 'The body' does, mainly because i never really had any interest in Janet as a character. i didnt dislike her, but she too me seemed mainly to fill the 'i dont know what is going on' part of the series, and I dont think she was portrayed that well. Indeed her best moment in the entire series comes when being interviewed in Heroes part 1.

However the performances from the cast are excellent especially Don S Davis, and Robert Picardo. Saul Rubinek steals the show however, his monologue half way through the episode is impassioned, and you can tell that it rings true for the officers around him.

I was fascinated to hear in the recent interview with Colleen Rennison how this episode is viewed as perhaps being the pinnacle of the series. I find this really suprising, i find something like Meridian, which deals with similar issues, to be much better.
            Chief Galen Tyrol: But how do you know I'm human?
            Brother Cavil: Oh, well, maybe because I'm a Cylon, and I've never seen you at any of the meetings.

Comment

I've always been a fan of the series, but recently I started the whole saga from episode one and I'm going through it from beginning to end.

I must say, this is one of the strongest written episodes I've seen. The performances from every single actor and actress is just incredible. From the speech about journalism and communism to Hammond speaking about how some soldiers mean more to him than others, etc. Daniel speaking about his Ascension and the reactions of all the characters. It was an incredibly poignant episode that achieved something very few Science Fiction shows are remembered for achieving.

Kudos to everyone who made this episode as fantastic as it was!
              "Look at me, I'm stupid!"
              -The 9th Doctor

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew Rex View Post
                I've always been a fan of the series, but recently I started the whole saga from episode one and I'm going through it from beginning to end.

I must say, this is one of the strongest written episodes I've seen. The performances from every single actor and actress is just incredible. From the speech about journalism and communism to Hammond speaking about how some soldiers mean more to him than others, etc. Daniel speaking about his Ascension and the reactions of all the characters. It was an incredibly poignant episode that achieved something very few Science Fiction shows are remembered for achieving.

Kudos to everyone who made this episode as fantastic as it was!
                I came into this thread to say that. But you beat me to it. Its practically the same I feel about this episode.

Everytime I watch it, I get choked up. Its one of my favorites just because of how emotionally powerful it is and the messages it sends out.

I hate seeing Janet die. It upsets me everytime. I know that sounds a little pathetic but I have grown to not care what other people think of me.
                Teselecta: "Silence will fall when the question is asked."

Doctor: "And what is the question?"

Teselecta: "How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?"

Doctor: " *Brainfart* ".

Comment

SPOILERS!
                  I really hate that Dr. Fraiser died!
                  i loved her character! poor cassie and sam and everyone!
                  i always kinda hoped that her and daniel would get together... insted he got to watch her die (is this some form of karma because i just started to think that a season of so befor she died???)

also...

Spoiler:
                  I never really liked doctor Lam. she always jumped between being an extra and having a main part in a way that was more annoying then anything else.

it was a powerful episode, and it was well done, and i know if they found a way to save Janet it would have made the whole episode just ok.

but i still wish she haddent died.

-kat

Stargate SG-1

The best thing to ever happen to TV...and LIFE!

Follow me on Twitter!

Comment

Originally posted by dorien View Post
                    As SG-1's resident linguist/archeologist, Daniel wasn't needed on the rescue mission. As a seasoned veteran of offworld combat situations, he was needed. But he didn't act in that capacity. While he should have had his eyes up and scanning the area for threats, he was busy playing medic and filming.

So...was he responsible for Dr Frasier's death?
                    Nah. I don't think so. I don't even think Daniel had any real military training. If you watch how the show progresses over the years, between seasons 1 through 4 he is dodging bullets. Once season six or seven came around, Daniel started to show signs of adapting to Jack's military style. Within the first or second episode of season seven, Daniel says something on the lines of, "I will follow your lead." Jack's reply was, "You never use to." I think that was a turning point for Daniel.

If we go by what the actor was saying, during his hiatus, Shanks wanted his character to become more proactive. I think the later version of the character was written as if Daniel learned by observation. He never went through basic training.

I kind of think of his role as "the non military guy who can get away with stuff, for he could not be officially held responsible for his actions". It gave Jack and Hammond a way out of a sticky situation.

Mrs. Daniel Jackson,
                    Even though I hate loosing a cool character, I think they did it in a real military style way. It reminded me of the series MASH, which use to run repeats in the early 90s. Not many younger people know of the series. It was a very touching approach to her death, which gave it more meaning than how younger audiences perceived it.

After viewing "Heroes II" without seeing the first one, I did think it was a cheap death. Once I saw them in order seamlessly, I couldn't help but think of it as a very nice touch to the series.

You get a beautiful two part story, which gives the audience an outsiders perspective.

If anyone gets a chance to watch anything MASH, episode "Point of View" is very reflective of this Stargate episode.
                    Last edited by Col. Tomorian; 08 October 2009, 06:13 PM.

Comment

00:15:47 - Hammond is about to lose it emotionally... blink and you'll miss it. It's moments like those which make this episode magic.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Billz View Post
                        I came into this thread to say that. But you beat me to it. Its practically the same I feel about this episode.

Everytime I watch it, I get choked up. Its one of my favorites just because of how emotionally powerful it is and the messages it sends out.

I hate seeing Janet die. It upsets me everytime. I know that sounds a little pathetic but I have grown to not care what other people think of me.
                        Me, too. It's one of the most powerful episodes to me. I include part 1 in this. I just watched it again, and am reminded why it's my favourite episode. It has everything from light to deadly serious, it's realistic and I love it. I also love the way the SGC seemed very 3D, there's more than just SG-1 here, and every life is important -- no silly 'red shirt' way of thinking, and I like that.
                        sigpic
                        Made by the lovely Jakie

Comment

I've just watched this two-parter for the first time and I believe these are the most powerful SG1 episodes.

I like how comedy and angst were brought together here - in fact, this is the only story where this combination works for me. More than that, the fun in the first part makes the second part so much more tragic that it almost hurts.

I have to say that I like Janet a lot and I am very sad that she died. However, she was not plainly "killed off" (as I used to think before I had a chance to watch Heroes). Her death was perfect. I even wouldn't mind Jack die like that (oh well, it was a near miss for him in this ep anyway...)

I also enjoyed the shippy bits. A lot of Sam/Jack stuff is in there, although I wish it would not demand that kind of circumstances
                          "Are you like, a crazy person?"
                          "I am quite sure they will say so."

Comment

Janet
                            sigpic

Comment

This is a case of an episode (pt 1& 2) that's so well done it's hard to rewatch.

Comment

Great episode, especially the action and also how the episode was not mainly about SG-1 but also to the other teams like SG-13

Comment

Working...
                                X