No announcement yet.

Fragile Balance (703)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The first episode of many to cover up the disappearence of RDA. No one has more vocal about disagreeing of making episodes to work around his reduced time. The quality declined because of his lack of presence. Despite this the episode in question is not too bad because the actor in question does such a good job at mimicing and copying Jack. The one fault is that the whole connecting Loki to the young Jack is a little drawn out and could have been told in half the amount of time. I kind of wish we saw more of Loki as being an "evil" Asgard could be an interesting story to tell and placy good foil to SG1 instead of being a one time enemy.
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Krisz View Post
      When I first saw this I really amused by how well the young actor imitated O'Neill.

I did wonder why O'Neill didn't recognise his younger self. Maybe because he 'didn't embrace high school' as he said, he just forgot about that part of his life and had no photos or real memories of what he looked like at the age of 15!

I found it interesting to see how O'Neill was already behaving differently as a result of being in a different situation when he discovered he was a clone, and that as a 'child' he could never go back to the way things were. There is always a element of fear and sadness in that thought and is covered up by the 'O'Neill bravado' displayed wonderfully by the 'young' O'Neill.

I loved the way the phenomenon of 'alien abductions' was used in this episode. Daniel and Teal'c (an alien, lol) going out to interview 'abductees' with a view to getting more information about the nature of young O'Neill's experience and try to learn more about who was responsible.
      Hey, if my 15 year old self said "hi" to me on the street I'd want to be 100% sure he was who he looked like.
      I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

My LiveJournal post
        Love this ep, so funny
        But can the world really handle two Jack O'Neills?
        Last edited by Jae'a; 07 February 2012, 05:00 AM.
        "Thanks to denial, I'm immortal."
        "A big 'Hello' to all intelligent life out there, and for everyone else, the secret is to bang the rocks together, guys!"
        "Excuse me, barmaid? You seem to have brought me the wrong offspring. I ordered an extra large boy with beefy arms, extra guts and glory on the side. This here, this is a talking fishbone!"
        "I'm Jack. It means... what's in the box?"

sigpic
        >-- Czechs Rock! >--

Comment

Just randomly decided to re-watch this episode today, and gotta say the kid portraying mini-Jack did an excellent job mimicking all those quirky little moves and faces that RDA does.

Overall, the episode was fun and enjoyable, but not so well-developed on emotional level. Sure, mini-Jack is cute and funny, but somehow you didn't really get a chance to get attached to him: events happened all too fast, and there wasn't nearly enough team interaction where you could see that infamous SG-1 bond. But yeah, nice episode.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2 View Post
            The kid did an outstanding job of mimicking O'Neill.........
            Now did he mean to say at tahe end that the Air Force arranged for him to live with some family or something like Cassandra?
            But HOW was he allowed to go "free" carrying all the knowledge he had of the secret Stargate and SG1 program? He'd be a walking "timebomb" to leak or reveal even slight amounts of knowledge and potentially imperil the Stargate program.........
            Good point. Find him and kill him! Or.. not. Like someone else pointed out, it's still Jack, and Jack isn't going to leak any info about the SGC. However, since it IS Jack... it's kind of weird seeing him intermingle with teenagers. Will he date? Is it ok for him to do that? He did try very hard to get alcohol knowing he was under age. I didn't like the ending of this episode because it leaves these and many more unanswered questions.
            Overall a good episode, good acting, but a bit lacking in closure. C+
            sigpic

Comment

I have to agree that the kid did such a good job mimicking Jack.

Was good to see Thor. Loki lives up to his mischievous name sake. Didn't like the Asgard science vessel in this ep. Looked very toy like. Although I do like the design of the ship. Very Star Trekish.

Was a touching end to the ep. Seeing the two Jacks part ways. Pity we don't see the young Jack again.
              sigpic

Comment

This was a good episode, for an ep that didn't have RDA in it for the most part... The kid did such a good job, there wasn't too much reason to miss the original Jack.. The part with the pilotes and how they treated Sam did bother me though.. Remember her reaction in Children of the Gods when Jack was questioning her becoming a part of his team... She didn't just take it, she spoke her mind even though he was a ranking officer. But she just gives up on these guys? I get it that te scene was done for Jack, but I wih it could have done differently..

About te ending.. Even though Jack didn't like school the first time around... I kind of think the clone saw the possibility to understand the likes of Sam and Daniel in the future. And why didn't original Jack see it that way? He has that door closed to him, so it's not something he would think about, te way mini-me Jack is forced to.. We don't know how much time has passed between them learning about the cloning and the scene where he actually goes to school. The clone has to have thought things through from a very different and ew point of view.

Comment

Please help answer a question: Dan Shea's daughter Joey Shea is listed on IMDB as having appeared in Fragile Balance on her IMDB page as "Young Pamela Ambrose". She is not, however, listed on the IMDB page of the actual episode though. That's okay, maybe her role was cut in editing.

But for the cast of characters and actresses on the episode page, there is a character "Pamela Ambrose" played by Poppi Reiner. My questions are:

Who was Pamela Ambrose as I don't recall an extra female character in the episode ((i.e. other than main cast members) and the Asian daughter of the other abductee.

The uncredited credit for Joey Shea says "Young Pamela Ambrose". I remember the elderly Asian gentleman having a lashback to his younger self - was this Pamela Ambrose another abductee but her flashback using Joey Shea was cut?
                  sigpicRamonaThePest (you know, Henry Huggins' friend)

Comment

I don't know, but could she be the teenage girl that young Jack saw when O Neill left him at the High school?
                    no means no, and so does pepper spray
                    Sig by The Carpenter
                    sigpic

Comment

I thought about that, but no name was given so that girl would just be listed as "schoolyard girl" or something. Plus, why would they preface Joey Shea's role as "Young Pamela Ambrose" unless there was also an "older" version?

Comment

Pamela was an abductee, so I imagine a young actress played her when she relayed her experience from the past...
                        Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                        Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                        On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Thanks, fems. I'm going to wait to rewatch that episode along with the Shippers in the S/J Discussion thread.

Comment

This was a good episode, even compared to S6.
                            I was wondering when Loki, AKA the "bad" Asgard would show up.

Comment

I rewatched this episode earlier today. It's definitely one of the most fun episodes of season 7. About 16 minutes into the episode, when Mini-Jack is playing Gran Turismo 3 he's listening to some heavy metal before Sam comes in and turns it off. Does anyone know what song it was he was listening to? It's really bugging me that I can't find out what it was.

Comment

Originally posted by Swn Gwyrdd View Post
                                I rewatched this episode earlier today. It's definitely one of the most fun episodes of season 7. About 16 minutes into the episode, when Mini-Jack is playing Gran Turismo 3 he's listening to some heavy metal before Sam comes in and turns it off. Does anyone know what song it was he was listening to? It's really bugging me that I can't find out what it was.
                                It's hard to tell, it only last about 2 seconds, sorry i can't say, but it sounded like some "old school" stuff

Comment

Working...
                                X