No announcement yet.

Memento (620)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually, I was wrong.. It was sometime after this episode that it changed. Sorry!

Spoiler "Enemy Mine"

They start referring to them as BC-303s in "Enemy Mine".
    The opinions of KorbenDirewolf do not necessrily represent the opinions of other male U.S. residents between the ages of 18 and 25.

Comment

In any case, the 303's are run by Air Force crews. In this episode, that much so is evident.

It's probably why Prommie got into so much trouble. For a ship, this crew certainly didn't act like the crew of ship. In all truth, the technical advice for the show concerning starship operations was very lacking.

1: Informing all hands to brace for impact. Giving such order was long and awkward. On a Navy ship, simply sounding the collision alarm would have done the same job, even better since the verbal warning has a chance of being garbled or drowned out by commotion, whilst an alarm doesn't get glossed over by hurried ears. "Sound collision!" is a shorter order for the captain to give as well.

2: Military thrust. Colonel Ronsen, CO of Prommie, orders the ship to draw away from the exploding reactor at full military thrust. In other words, jog away from it at an engine setting recommended by the manual. Such an order is one that does NOT get you away as fast as you possibly can (where you strive for maximum acceleration by pushing it to the redline).

3: Radar. The Prometeus radar screen has that familar scop display with a radial screen and a "strobe"— that glowing straight line that sweeps around the circle. That is indicative of a planar radar array. Prometheus is easily the most advanced vessel ever created on Earth— yet does not have a phased-array radar system like the Ticonderoga class? I was in first grade elementary school when the SPY-1 radar system was put into the fleet. It's not like the thing is some new-fangled contraption.

I still shudder at the sight of personelle elevators aboard the ship. You'd think a bunch of ladders would be cheaper and easier to maintain.
      Last edited by Rhydderch Hael; 06 August 2004, 07:30 PM.

Comment

Ladders would be cheaper and easier to maintain, but who wants to take ladders everywhere? THey are also not good if you need to move a large bulky piece of equipment or a big box inbetween decks.
        Rocky

Comment

Originally posted by rocket4477
          Ladders would be cheaper and easier to maintain, but who wants to take ladders everywhere? THey are also not good if you need to move a large bulky piece of equipment or a big box inbetween decks.
          Hellooooo. They're in space.

You want to move something, you shut off the local gravity field to that section and float the stuff through.

Elevators break down. And they're most likely to break down in combat conditions. The shafts provide conduits for fire and decompression effects to spread through multiple decks at once. And traffic in battle conditions makes elevator transit very impractical.

Comment

Well, I know that this is an AF ship, not Navy, and I'm pretty sure it is not run by the Navy nor are there any Navy personnel on board (but I could be wrong), so they are trying to use AF terms and nor Navy. However, although aircraft carriers are Navy ships, I don't believe they use elevatorss (except when moving aircraft), they have stairs and ladders for people to use, and they are big honking ships. You would think that the Prometheus wouldn't use elevators as well, only ladders and stairs.

Comment

Originally posted by rocket4477
              I believe that they have rings to move stuff. SG-1 use them to go down to the ground. So I assume that they are used to move heavy thing deck to deck.

Comment

Originally posted by VirtualCLD
                Well, I know that this is an AF ship, not Navy, and I'm pretty sure it is not run by the Navy nor are there any Navy personnel on board (but I could be wrong), so they are trying to use AF terms and nor Navy. However, although aircraft carriers are Navy ships, I don't believe they use elevatorss (except when moving aircraft), they have stairs and ladders for people to use, and they are big honking ships. You would think that the Prometheus wouldn't use elevators as well, only ladders and stairs.
                Agreed. The funny thing is, the Navy's got a century or two up on the Air Force when it concerns the experience and protocols in managing a very large vehicle in a combat situation. Why their influence is not in the operation of Prommie is a ludicrous mystery.

Comment

Side Note: If you are watching Atlantis, notice that both this Episode 620 and Atlantis ep 105 use the same confernce table. My 7 yr old son caught this.

Comment

Ah- ur right! Thats kind of funny, well to me that is
                    Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

Originally posted by SG_Mike
                      Side Note: If you are watching Atlantis, notice that both this Episode 620 and Atlantis ep 105 use the same confernce table. My 7 yr old son caught this.

I was watching 105 yesterday and I didn't notice this until now. Boy do they love reusing their props!
                      __

__

Comment

Originally posted by Anubis
                        I was watching 105 yesterday and I didn't notice this until now. Boy do they love reusing their props!
                        I have never minded too much unless it was REAL OBVIOUS. But in this case it was subtle. Still funny to think as if someone stole that table.

Comment

I agree with that, if it's too obvious I don't like it and I think they just use it as a big excuse, however if they cover it up, good for them [and us]!
                          __

__

Comment

i like this ep but colonel Ronson he was just a little too pig headed for my liking

no doubt in there to conter SG-1 'over-whelming coolness'

Comment

one of the few episodes i liked of the season....along wtih "abyss" and "full circle"

Comment

i finally go tto see this ep only a few weeks ago, because i missed most of s6, so i watched them all out of order. i really liked this one becasue it one, involves the prometheus, and it deals with an advanced civilization. the best scene in the show has to be the explosion of the hyperdrive.
                                ROFLMAO Check This Out!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X